VOGONS

Reply 10580 of 27360, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

That looks interesting. Which system do you use for the NAS OS? I remember using NAS4Free on my Socket 7 machine and a worn down Compaq Presario C700 several years ago.

I'm using OpenMediaVault on an Odroid HC2 from HardKernel. I used the following guide by Explaining Computers to help me set up the system, and then did some additional things to set it up as so (adding FTP support). A very simple, "cheap", small purpose-built one-drive NAS solution, I would think (the WD Green 2TB HDD I got for $20 USD at a local buy-sell-trade store, and the whole NAS setup (minus the SD card for OMV, which I saved some money and bought it off Amazon for $6.19) I paid $84.10 for straight from HardKernel).
pWzZNgSl.jpg

Also, question: Has any one had any experience with the Creative Extigy external USB sound device? I saw one at that same buy-sell-trade store, and was wondering is it worth picking it up for anything.
fMBssCgl.jpg

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10581 of 27360, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today I began building a Kickstart relocator, because the 2-in-1 kickrom-switcher, will not fit when using the CPU relocator that I use with the TF-530 accelerator. The first relocator that I build, was too thick and the keyboard will not fit. So I soldered a second one. It is all trial and error when doing something homemade.

This is the first one that I did. Ribbon cable and because the wires were under the board, and I had to isolate it from shortening out. Wich made it too high. Anyway... I did a second more slim one after this failure.

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
657.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The second one, were I used an old harddrive ribbon cable and soldered it straight onto a socket's pins. Then I isolated it from shortening. It just takes a lot of time, soldering 40 wires this way.
Both relocators are not tested with a power on in the Amiga, yet a test with the multimeter on continuity, show no errors during build. Too late to test it all (it is after midnight), as I have to clean the table after all the trash. Hopefully the slim version kickrom relocator will work.

02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
408.67 KiB
Views
File license
03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
338.58 KiB
Views
File license
04.jpg
Filename
04.jpg
File size
347.46 KiB
Views
File license
05.jpg
Filename
05.jpg
File size
356.27 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10582 of 27360, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the_ultra_code wrote:

Also, question: Has any one had any experience with the Creative Extigy external USB sound device? I saw one at that same buy-sell-trade store, and was wondering is it worth picking it up for anything.

its a creative product. The answer is almost always YES.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10583 of 27360, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
the_ultra_code wrote:

its a creative product. The answer is almost always YES.

That's a semi-valid reason. 😀

Why would I want it? Also, is it a good product?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10584 of 27360, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

find out for yourself.

if you don't like it or have a use for it, drop it on ebay and someone will want it. The last ones sold for ~$30, so the likelihood of breaking even is excellent. Plus you will have had some fun with it.

ITS FREE FUN!!!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10585 of 27360, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tested some stuff I recently aquired.

1. VLB ATI Mach 32 - 2MB VRAM version. Also have a 2MB DRAM version.

2. 8GB CF card - supposedly PNY but not branding on them because they came from some OEM system. Had to use my Windows 10 machine to delete all the partitions before it would partition with fdisk on my DX4 system.

3. Keytronics AT and maybe XT keyboard. One version of this keyboard had an actual XT/ AT Enhanced/XT switch. This one the hole for the switch is there, but no switch. Will have to text with an XT machine to see if this one auto-senses or is just an AT keyboard.

Modified the non-stock heatsink that came on a Hecules 3d Prophet 4500 AGP video card (Kyro II) so the mounting holes lined up enough to actually work... When I got it, it just had some double sided tape on there that of course had failed. Also found that there were a couple SMD capacitors missing so I replaced them with slightly larger size ones I salvaged form a dead card. Next step is to test the card to see if it actually works.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10586 of 27360, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well...
The relocators have too long ribbon cable, so there is no way they make decent contact when the machine tries to talk to them. Oh well.... Back to the drawing board. 😁

Reply 10587 of 27360, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Decided to give my shelf a little break and moved about 50kg of HDD's and CD-roms to a more convenient and safe location: on the floor. I previously bought some plastic boxes, castor wheels and boards, which I put together.

Attachments

• IMG_7590.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7590.JPG
    File size
    371.75 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10588 of 27360, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just browsing Vogons after a looooong hiatus, trying to catch up with the happenings.

So far I've read about the great PPro haul, anything else I shouldn't miss?

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 10589 of 27360, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This isn't "today", but rather "multiple hours last night when I should have been in bed." I made a spreadsheet that tracks the names of all my PCs, after I discovered I'd accidentally re-used the same name on three different machines. Because clearly that was a productive use of my time.

You can peruse the sheet if you want, or laugh at my senseless pedantry here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xqEtb … dit?usp=sharing

For reference, only machines that go on my network or have permanent renameable local storage (i.e. a HDD volume label) get names. Phones don't, because I can't be bothered, but I think my one Android tablet might have a name. Shame I can't find the damn thing.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10590 of 27360, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Organized my bedroom/workshop. When you have a lot of stuff and limited space knowledge of how to cram stuff is essential. 😵

Attachments

• 20181129_220716.jpg
    Filename
    20181129_220716.jpg
    File size
    84.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20181129_220937.jpg
    Filename
    20181129_220937.jpg
    File size
    710.83 KiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 10591 of 27360, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cj_reha wrote:

Organized my bedroom/workshop. When you have a lot of stuff and limited space knowledge of how to cram stuff is essential. 😵

My mommy said I can come over to play at your house!

Reply 10593 of 27360, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
the_ultra_code wrote:
Also, question: Has any one had any experience with the Creative Extigy external USB sound device? I saw one at that same buy-se […]
Show full quote

fMBssCgl.jpg

Yes! I had one when they first came out. It depends what you want from it.

It has a plethora of inputs and outputs.

It connects to 5.1 speaker systems.

It had good software with all the EAX effects.

It can ups 2 channel audio to 5.1 audio.

Reply 10594 of 27360, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yesterday evening fellow Vogon Thandor came over for a few beers and to pick up a big pile of stuff (I'm a city slicker, he has a whole barn to play in). We also had a bash at some boards I hadn't been able to get working. A nice little 386DX-40 board with VLB and So1 LIF that looked good at first sight but refused to do anything turned out to have horrendous corrosion from a leaked battery on the reverse. We stopped counting after ten dead traces, and it looked like it had seeped deep into the PCB. Total loss.

However these two were pleasant surprises:
full.jpg

On the left is a NIB EISA+VLB board I'd had for some time, had never been able to get even close to booting, but didn't want to give up on because rather impressive. Turns out it has two issues at present:
1) the VLB slot seems to short something out (as in PSU doesn't even power up when it's populated). Stick an ISA card in and that goes away though.
2) RAM... normally you fill bank 0 first. This board doesn't even start POST if bank 1 isn't populated. Once you do that. it's happily alive 😕

Still need to figure out what's going on with the VLB slot, and then there's that RTC - dead of course, and not only soldered but also located snugly between various other high components. Still, even now, it's alive!

On the right is a socketed 386/486 board with VLB. I'd written it off due to what looked like bad corrosion and not immediately booting when I tried it, but turns out the corrosion was mainly superficial, and there are mercifully few traces in the affected area. Also, the "light" in LIF is a misnomer. After having had some trouble extracting the 486 from another board's LIF socket, I was adamant we shouldn't press the CPU too hard. Thandor insisted though and I was glad he did - after a good hard press, it came to life. Still not entirely happily booting DOS, but definitely worth spending some more time on.

Reply 10596 of 27360, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made a safety copy of my original Windows 95 floppies, using Winimage.

Attachments

• IMG_7595.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7595.JPG
    File size
    324.02 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10597 of 27360, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Gotta love the John Deer curtains.

Only the classiest curtains for the workshop! 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 10598 of 27360, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did a blog post.... 😀

Reply 10599 of 27360, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to migrate save (two .HUD and one .SAV file) and game data from NFS Porsche on one pc to another pc and getting it to work right. It didn't work right at first because I got errors in the form of 'unable to open file x' with a reference to a code line, but I could force it to run ignoring the errors. It turned out that all I had to do was to unselect 'read only' in properties of the files which the game couldn't open (or write to?). Now the game seems to run error free and it saves me tons of time completing evolution mode with all cars 😀

687845648789.jpg
Filename
687845648789.jpg
File size
461.76 KiB
Views
File license