VOGONS

Reply 13620 of 27410, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

I am in the search for a Dell 2001fp (pre-2004 model) my self. Because it can take a 15khz signal. It is for my Amiga's.

Dell U2414 can also do that.

I tried to re-house my Athlon64 system last night. It did not go well... 🙁

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-12-09, 16:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13621 of 27410, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was messing with SONY FA-P1 external PCMCIA FDD drive. Got it for $10 on ebay.
It worked finally. In DOS it requires SS and CS + dedicated driver that I found online. I'm attaching the drivers just in case.

Attachments

• Filename
    PCMCIAFDD.rar
    File size
    67.86 KiB
    Downloads
    75 downloads
    File comment
    PCMCIA FDD SONY FA-P1 DOS, W9x, W2k drivers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 13622 of 27410, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
brostenen wrote:

I am in the search for a Dell 2001fp (pre-2004 model) my self. Because it can take a 15khz signal. It is for my Amiga's.

Dell U2414 can also do that.

I tried to re-house my Athlon64 system last night. It did not go well... 🙁

I have been snooping around on 15khz wiki. No mention of an U2414, only U2410 and ST2410.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13623 of 27410, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Somehow "I'm just gonna do some quick tweaks to my K6-2 system" has turned into a 3-day grind of benchmarking the CRAP out of all my spare socket 7 chips. So much benchmarking...

20191209_132147.jpg
Filename
20191209_132147.jpg
File size
208.41 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13624 of 27410, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Somehow "I'm just gonna do some quick tweaks to my K6-2 system" has turned into a 3-day grind of benchmarking the CRAP out of all my spare socket 7 chips. So much benchmarking...

20191209_132147.jpg

It gets overwhelming after a while.
1-2 years ago I was keeping a spreadsheet with tests I was running on a super-7 board, but eventually I was getting burned out, about the same time that I was finding little flaws with how I was testing stuff. I never even got to the more interesting video cards.

Reply 13625 of 27410, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last night I spend about *3 hours* fighting with the boot order on a 1998 HP Kayak. That thing has the most frustrating, clunky, slow BIOS and boot procedure of any PC I've ever used. If I could lift it I'd throw it out a window.
After 5 minutes of pre-flight theatrics on every reset, it persistently kept booting to the damn hard drive. I think I have *finally* gotten it to actually give priority to the LS120 and CDROM. Still can't boot the Win98 install CD, but I think it's because the disc is dirty. It did at least boot to a different CD so I think the boot order madness is finally fixed.
It's amazing how you can waste so much time on something so stupid.

Reply 13626 of 27410, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

20191209_132147.jpg

Oops, it turns out I was finished this little project last night already & didn't realize it. 😜 This board doesn't support 75MHz CPUs so the K5 & P54c are out (the K5 POSTs at 90MHz but freezes before getting into Windows), the 6x86 is an earlier revision that the manual specifically says is incompatible (tried it anyway - I get a Windows protection error around the same point the K5 locks up), and the VIA C3 is socket 370. Derp.

Now to go resistor-mod the board...

shamino wrote:

It gets overwhelming after a while.
1-2 years ago I was keeping a spreadsheet with tests I was running on a super-7 board, but eventually I was getting burned out, about the same time that I was finding little flaws with how I was testing stuff. I never even got to the more interesting video cards.

Did you say "gigantic sheet of benchmarks?" Because I think I heard somebody say "gigantic sheet of benchmarks"...

shamino wrote:

Eheheheh... heh heh... heh.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13627 of 27410, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Learned what to look for and successfully got ACHI storage driver slipped in via F6 install of XP 32bit on a Optiplex 990 (my lucky donation) with i7 2600 and 2TB HD.
Got drivers in except realtek driver does not leave WDM drivers files for the next reboot "found new hardware" thing failed.
Was thinking about putting in x-fi PCI card from my audio card collection after disabling the onboard audio IC. Intent was playing older games that works on XP 32 bit.

Only have room for 1 slot full length video card or short length 2 slot card on this motherboard design otherwise I would have to buy either HP 8300 CMT or Z220. These two HP models supports either sandy and Ivy bridge processors) just to have full length 2 slot video card support and supports XP 32 as well. Power supply thing is not a problem for me, I have developed a way to do this.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 13628 of 27410, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

Last night I spend about *3 hours* fighting with the boot order on a 1998 HP Kayak. That thing has the most frustrating, clunky, slow BIOS and boot procedure of any PC I've ever used. If I could lift it I'd throw it out a window.
After 5 minutes of pre-flight theatrics on every reset, it persistently kept booting to the damn hard drive. I think I have *finally* gotten it to actually give priority to the LS120 and CDROM. Still can't boot the Win98 install CD, but I think it's because the disc is dirty. It did at least boot to a different CD so I think the boot order madness is finally fixed.

If you do somehow manage to lift it high enough to throw it out a window let me know your address and which window, so I can park my pick-up in the correct place to catch it and speed off with it.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13629 of 27410, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I spent most of my weekend reorganizing my office and turning my server rack into something far more presentable. Pretty sure I was moments away from being trapped behind it every time I tried to remove a rear-mounted bracket. Regardless, it's more organized, there is a proper rack-mounted PSU in the bottom of it, and all my audio hardware is inside. This let me clear the desk so it's nothing but the main computers, the main monitors, keyboard, mouse, headphones, and some coasters. There, I have a proper desk! Now I just need to get another rack, use those extra shelves to build a better solution for all my game consoles, fix some wiring in my primary DOS machine, and a million other little things.

xjas wrote:
shamino wrote:

Eheheheh... heh heh... heh.

Why, yes, I was watching my Beavis & Butthead DVD's while I was doing all this!

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 13631 of 27410, by Ghost Line

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've written the script for my next Youtube video, about the Superdisk LS120 😀

My Youtube channel, about retrogaming, retrohardware and other retro-ish stuff! 😊

Reply 13633 of 27410, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might sound funny but a while ago I was playing Hyper Dimension Neptunia rebirth 3 on Windows 2000, only to give up because it was crashing every time when Plutia first transforms. The commonly stated fix for this on 32-bit Windows is to boot with the /3GB switch as I mentioned in this thread /3GB switch on 32-bit Windows but that doesn't fix the problem on Win2000 Pro. Then today I suddenly had a thought. Could there be some back channel trick to reduce the game's memory footprint? It turns out that there is... I temporarily lowered the resolution from 1600x900 to 640x360 and that apparantly freed up juuuust enough space to get past that sequence without the game crashing 🤣

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 13634 of 27410, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

With a computer that old you may need to take it apart, check and clean every component. I remember my 4 speed CD-ROM being picky with cds made with a burner in another pc btw.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 13635 of 27410, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received an Atari 2600 Jr. & a bunch of games today and set about testing it:

tYjUhUxh.jpg

Of all the 2nd hand systems I've bought in the past, this thing just about tops it for how pristine and in good condition it is. Aside from some slight dust, this thing is practically brand new, not a scratch or scuff on it, I'm very impressed!

As you can expect, it's all working great and I now finally have a real Atari 2600 to add to my collection. Going to save it until Christmas Day to play it though, as it was a Christmas present from the family, I'm traditional like that. 🤣

Next year at some point I plan to get an SD Flash Catridge for it, but the 12 games I have so far should suffice in the meantime.

Reply 13636 of 27410, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So here's a fun one. Picked up an Aopen MX46-533V socket 478 universal AGP motherboard, having the SIS 651 chipset. Popped in a P4 3.06 HT, and hyperthreading is working, but figured I'd update the bios anyways, since it came with some mystery R1.02TR bios that wasn't even listed on the Aopen website.

Downloaded the latest bios, and surprise! The bios flasher insists that my board is some mystery Aopen MX46U2-CN, and refuses to flash the new bios. Tried several older bios downloads, and the same problem. Searching the web, seems like I have a board that never existed, even though it says MX46-533V right on it.

Eventually figured I'd force a flash or make it die trying. The POST screen said it had Award Bios, so I downloaded Award Winflash, and forced it to flash all the bios blocks. To my relief, the process went without a hickup, and after a reboot I'm now running an official bios, which has some extra features like fan control.

And here's the mugshot of the culprit.
[img]

P_20191212_013437_vHDR_Auto_1_2.jpg
Filename
P_20191212_013437_vHDR_Auto_1_2.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license

[/img]

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 13637 of 27410, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:
Received an Atari 2600 Jr. & a bunch of games today and set about testing it: […]
Show full quote

Received an Atari 2600 Jr. & a bunch of games today and set about testing it:

tYjUhUxh.jpg

Of all the 2nd hand systems I've bought in the past, this thing just about tops it for how pristine and in good condition it is. Aside from some slight dust, this thing is practically brand new, not a scratch or scuff on it, I'm very impressed!

As you can expect, it's all working great and I now finally have a real Atari 2600 to add to my collection. Going to save it until Christmas Day to play it though, as it was a Christmas present from the family, I'm traditional like that. 🤣

Next year at some point I plan to get an SD Flash Catridge for it, but the 12 games I have so far should suffice in the meantime.

Amazing. I've always loved Atari since my childhood days, I had a 2600, but somehow it disappeared decades later (I think I can blame some parents for that), but I can play the games with my Mac emulators. All I need is to buy a bluetooth version of Atari's controller. I can make one with parts of an old controller, but I am not in a hurry to do that.

My favorite games were the classics: Missile Command, Enduro, River Raid. I used to play them with my dad.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13638 of 27410, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:

I've always loved Atari since my childhood days,

You likely know this, but just in case I'll mention the 2004 Atari Flashback 2 is a nice & relatively cheap substitute. Good build, good sticks, and it can be modded to take cartridges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback … ari_Flashback_2

Reply 13639 of 27410, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's awesome to see people enjoying old hardware whatever it is so this question is not meant to discourage the enjoyment and pursuit of anyones hobby but I was wondering if I'm alone in feeling that having been of the age to own an Atari 2600 at the time its the one retro platform I have no desire to revisit ever, I'm wondering if the people who are into it are younger than me or simply just had a nostalgia to play with a system they had time appropriately during their youth?