VOGONS

Reply 10400 of 27405, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (Steam) runs fine on my Windows 10 RTX 2080ti machine. With the exception that full screen has a title bar.

Sure it does, but I use the original game on CD-ROM 😉

Last day I’ve played NFS Hot Pursuit 2 on my GeForce6 system, what a great game that still is after 15+ years, in fact it’s even better now because now I have some proper high end hardware, back in the early 00’s I played it using a TNT2 or GeForce MX (not sure anymore).

Reply 10401 of 27405, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote:

I use MyPal 27.9.4 in win2k (with ext kernel) and don't have crashes. One problem is that downloads fail anywhere other than mypal's own directory. I suspect there is a fix for this as Palemoon Portable had the same problem and could be fixed by editing one of the config files. dom.messageChannel.enabled had to be added for craptchas to work, and 1-2 checkboxs under content-video had to be altered for youtube.

I'm surprised that FF 52 can still display the menu bar, I thought they had already done away with it to fit in with the current (reprehensible, IMO) fashion.

Is RAM beyond 3GB usable?

Haven't tried the beyond 3GB RAM limit but on 64-bit Windows 7 it uses all 8GB obviously. Will try MyPal, thanks!

As for KComp, try these AMD drivers... they worked for me.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0iir6mvbbbvmjt … 304W2K.zip/file

EDIT: Holy crap, this MyPal is great! Works perfectly fine on Windows 2000 as well.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 10402 of 27405, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haven't posted in awhile.

I picked up a Leading Edge 8088 system from my university for $0.05....but the jerks took the internal MFM hard drive and chucked it into a recycle bin due to NSA restrictions with a university and and resell of equipment and NASA stuff. Soooo...I wasn't thrilled with that.

However, I did pick up an MFM drive a long time ago, and formatted it with the DOS debug command to bring up the onboard Adaptec utility. NO DEAD SECTORS..WOW. Miracle for this drive!

I also had a very old SCSI 8-BIT "HARD CARD" generic that has 128mb SCSI drive on it I wanted to test out...and....NO DEAD sectors! The vintage GODS are smiling on me today!

Oh, and I got a IIGS system for 60 shipped that just needed one RAM chip replaced. Awesome.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 10403 of 27405, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Volunteered to do some technical education at my elder son's primary school.

Went to town on eight systems from P3 to C2D with about 30 11- and 12-year olds in groups of 3 or 4, disassembling them, then letting the groups who finished that soonest start rebuilding them. Two groups managed to rebuild systems to the point of POSTing, with one we added an optical drive and booted Knoppix too.

No coincidence that was the P3 system - partly because it was easier to work on, partly because it was the one I only entrusted to the children I felt would treat the stuff with respect - who of course tended to be most competent too. Nonetheless someone (I suspect the substitute teacher who tried to - hurriedly - help tidy stuff up at the end) managed to knock an SMD cap off the STB Velocity 4400, so need to fix that before doing a different group next week.

They were in awe of seeing something built the better part of a decade before they were born boot up after they had - with no more than some intentionally general hints from me - built it, angrily beep when they hadn't seated the DIMM properly and then reward them by successfully loading an OS. Then they almost lost it again when I told them that the oldest, lowest-end smartphone in the class outperformed this big system by an order of magnitude.

Oh, and all this time my 3-year old sat on a table as a sort of mascot, either eating fruit he purloined from somewhere in the classroom, or sitting on a table playing with screws and screw drivers.

Dead tired now, but very rewarding corrupting the youth in this way 😀

Reply 10404 of 27405, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
Volunteered to do some technical education at my elder son's primary school. […]
Show full quote

Volunteered to do some technical education at my elder son's primary school.

Went to town on eight systems from P3 to C2D with about 30 11- and 12-year olds in groups of 3 or 4, disassembling them, then letting the groups who finished that soonest start rebuilding them. Two groups managed to rebuild systems to the point of POSTing, with one we added an optical drive and booted Knoppix too.

No coincidence that was the P3 system - partly because it was easier to work on, partly because it was the one I only entrusted to the children I felt would treat the stuff with respect - who of course tended to be most competent too. Nonetheless someone (I suspect the substitute teacher who tried to - hurriedly - help tidy stuff up at the end) managed to knock an SMD cap off the STB Velocity 4400, so need to fix that before doing a different group next week.

They were in awe of seeing something built the better part of a decade before they were born boot up after they had - with no more than some intentionally general hints from me - built it, angrily beep when they hadn't seated the DIMM properly and then reward them by successfully loading an OS. Then they almost lost it again when I told them that the oldest, lowest-end smartphone in the class outperformed this big system by an order of magnitude.

Oh, and all this time my 3-year old sat on a table as a sort of mascot, either eating fruit he purloined from somewhere in the classroom, or sitting on a table playing with screws and screw drivers.

Dead tired now, but very rewarding corrupting the youth in this way 😀

Well, at least kids somewhere show an interest. Last time I was involved with anything like that I was trying to teach recent school leavers how to do that sort of thing volunteering at an e-waste recycling centre/training provider. Most of the time they either didn't show up or showed up with all the enthusiasm of a group being lead to the front row of a firing squad. The theory was to give them some sort of skill employers would want, guess they thought otherwise. Seems to be an ever increasing problem here, no one has any interest in doing anything that requires even the slightest bit of mental effort.

Reply 10405 of 27405, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't underestimate selection bias. At primary education level - like these 11 year-olds - you have everything from potential professors and engineers down to complete lowlifes. By the time you get to school leavers in a project to give no-hopers some kind of skill, everyone with brains and/or motivation has already left as either in further education or already working. You're left with those who have neither and there you are happy if they turn up, don't intentionally trash stuff, don't start fights and don't steal your equipment.

Been there, done that - I give schoolchildren tours of my lab at work occasionally and the older ones from 'dump' schools are rightly notorious. That's why I far prefer primary school children. A lot are intrinsically motivated and it's not too late to make a positive difference with the others.

Last edited by dionb on 2018-11-16, 20:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10406 of 27405, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did the sensible thing and abandoned NT3.51 on the P2B-DS. Upgraded to NT4 and, after a false start with the video card, got both the RTL8139 and Permedia 2v installed. CT4520 left for another day.

Reply 10407 of 27405, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
StevOnehundred wrote:

Did the sensible thing and abandoned NT3.51 on the P2B-DS. Upgraded to NT4 and, after a false start with the video card, got both the RTL8139 and Permedia 2v installed. CT4520 left for another day.

Permedia 2V is a very decent card. I acquired one myself.

Reply 10408 of 27405, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Permedia 2V is a very decent card. I acquired one myself.

Mine was made by Imagine Graphics and didn't seem to appreciate the standard driver that I'd found. Located the correct one from their old site on the Wayback Machine, luckily.

Reply 10409 of 27405, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Set up my retired Socket 775 Core 2 Quad system for the family to use and decided to do a "simple" clean and repaste procedure for the CPU & cooler.

I say "simple" because I absolutely despise those god damned stock Intel coolers with a passion! Ended up accidentally snapping 1 of the push pins, before violently launching the whole cooler at the wall and replacing it with a spare. 😠

Those push pin coolers really are a piece of shit! Give me screws & clips any day, that's why I generally prefer aftermarket coolers.

Reply 10410 of 27405, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:

Set up my retired Socket 775 Core 2 Quad system for the family to use and decided to do a "simple" clean and repaste procedure for the CPU & cooler.

I say "simple" because I absolutely despise those god damned stock Intel coolers with a passion! Ended up accidentally snapping 1 of the push pins, before violently launching the whole cooler at the wall and replacing it with a spare. 😠

Those push pin coolers really are a piece of shit! Give me screws & clips any day, that's why I generally prefer aftermarket coolers.

Besides their garbage cooling performance (well, at least the non-775 ones without the copper base), a problem I have with Intel pushpin coolers is how hard it is to get them secured to a motherboard that is warped near the CPU socket.

I have an AsRock 775i65G R3.0 that came to my door that was noticeably warped around the CPU socket. Since I don't have any other available 775 coolers on hand, I have been using an Intel box cooler with it. The thing is, getting the cooler on was more difficult than it should have been because of the board's warped nature. I had to put a crazy amount of pressure on some of the pins for them to "click". It was a little scary.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10411 of 27405, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote:
PTherapist wrote:

Besides their garbage cooling performance (well, at least the non-775 ones without the copper base), a problem I have with Intel pushpin coolers is how hard it is to get them secured to a motherboard that is warped near the CPU socket.

I have an AsRock 775i65G R3.0 that came to my door that was noticeably warped around the CPU socket. Since I don't have any other available 775 coolers on hand, I have been using an Intel box cooler with it. The thing is, getting the cooler on was more difficult than it should have been because of the board's warped nature. I had to put a crazy amount of pressure on some of the pins for them to "click". It was a little scary.

Wow, they're bad enough to fit correctly without a warped board, I don't think I'd have had the patience.

Plus after years of usage, those crap plastic pushpins tend to become brittle and bend/snap - as is what happened to me.

Reply 10412 of 27405, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Backed up my Creative Labs CR-563-B firmware in case I need to make a new one.

In case anyone needs the firmware, here you go. The firmware uses a Fairchild NM27C256N-120 (32Kx8 120ns) and an Amtel AT28C256-120 (120ns) can be used on there in case the original firmware on your CD-ROM drive has failed or is corrupted (eg: cannot read or open files that are on a disk). The firmware version is 0.80

Also available on Google Drive for those who aren't registered: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zzOfbTKsuC6 … Oy9eqHQ7-ltOWxh

Attachments

• Filename
    CR563B-firmware.zip
    File size
    15.25 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File comment
    Creative Labs CR-563-B Firmware 0.80
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10413 of 27405, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

At primary education level - like these 11 year-olds - you have everything from potential professors and engineers down to complete lowlifes. By the time you get to school leavers in a project to give no-hopers some kind of skill, everyone with brains and/or motivation has already left as either in further education or already working. You're left with those who have neither and there you are happy if they turn up, don't intentionally trash stuff, don't start fights and don't steal your equipment.

People can change, also in their 20's, 30's, 40's and maybe even older.

By the way, just because some kids are not (very) interested in technology, doesn't make them 'lowlifes' (if that's what you try to say).

Anyway, I have played NFS Porsche 2000 today (I use AA 4x and AF 4x on my GF4 Ti4600), now I try to collect all cars, which costs a lot of money. The only way to get enough money (so you can collect them all) is to buy old bangers, fix them and sell them for a profit. You need to start trading cars as soon as possible in the game (1956), because by the time you have entered the golden era, some old cars don't show up for sale anymore and some have become ridiculously expensive.

Reply 10414 of 27405, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

upgraded my PS/2 model 30 to an NEC V30 and 8087 coprocessor. only marginally better 🙁

IMG_20181116_200931.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181116_200931.jpg
File size
254.04 KiB
Views
File license

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 10415 of 27405, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:

By the way, just because some kids are not (very) interested in technology, doesn't make them 'lowlifes' (if that's what you try to say).

I don’t think that’s what was being implied - some kids are just on the wrong track thanks to poor parenting. I.e no moral compass and no idea how to behave. That’s not to say they won’t find their way of course but it’s a handicap.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10416 of 27405, by Jager

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Started sorting and repairing my old HDDs.
Note for Quantum Fireball users (EX in my case) - Panasonic AN8428GAK motor comb IC can overheat. This leads to drive stalling and randomly parking. With a small radiator, some airflow and complete mhdd erase I ended up with a fully operational drive (only <10 & <50ms blocks). 😎
Also found that the warranty seal on my ST-4096 is punctured. Can't test it anyway - need to buy MFM controller first. 😢

Reply 10417 of 27405, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:
dionb wrote:

At primary education level - like these 11 year-olds - you have everything from potential professors and engineers down to complete lowlifes. By the time you get to school leavers in a project to give no-hopers some kind of skill, everyone with brains and/or motivation has already left as either in further education or already working. You're left with those who have neither and there you are happy if they turn up, don't intentionally trash stuff, don't start fights and don't steal your equipment.

People can change, also in their 20's, 30's, 40's and maybe even older.

People can certainly change, but the ones who didn't need to change to get somewhere have already done so, which means what you're left with in something remedial for school leavers with no usable skills is the bottom of the barrel - with a very long way to change indeed.

That is most definitely not what I'm saying. Technology is only one way to make a useful contribution in society. I'm talking about children with major behavioral and moral issues. They are a small, manageable part of the mix at primary level, but by the time you hit that unskilled school leaver demographic, they are most of what is left.

Reply 10418 of 27405, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haven't done or bought anything remotely retro in a while. Various real-life problems piled up, didn't have time, money and heart to do it. But today for the first time in weeks I had a moment to myself, so I opened my Toshiba 3020CT (looks worse in photo than in reality, it's actually very well preserved):

20181119_160747.jpg
Filename
20181119_160747.jpg
File size
183.63 KiB
Views
File license

and removed the RTC battery, just in case, based on Maintenance Manual. I am amazed by its build quality, everything is neat, clean and well put together.

20181119_160918-COLLAGE.jpg
Filename
20181119_160918-COLLAGE.jpg
File size
222.37 KiB
Views
File license

The battery doesn't look like typical spillers, though - pic attached.

20181119_152456.jpg
Filename
20181119_152456.jpg
File size
219.77 KiB
Views
File license

Perhaps I am being overly cautious? Any ideas what to replace it with?

Also, my usual next step is to rip out the hard drive and replace it with CF-based solution, usually with DOS. That said, for DOS I would need a couple things:

• NeoMagic 2160 and Yamaha OPL3-SA3 DOS drivers - where from?
  • Toshiba utility to scale 640x480 and lower resolutions to screen native 800x600 - I know there used to be one, but where to find it?
  • USB port driver in order to make transferring files easier - does this even exist?

Reply 10419 of 27405, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a NiCd battery. eBay or some other site might have them, however, the older laptops used the rechargeable batteries for a period of time (it depends on the manufacturer of the laptop) until they switched to the Lithium batteries in the 1990's. I have 2 Dell laptops that use the NiCd batteries for the CMOS settings, which I detest entirely.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser