VOGONS

Reply 10441 of 27412, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
0x5f4e2a wrote:
OldCat wrote:

Thanks, KCompRoom2000 and HenryVK. I will try these next time I have a bit of time to play with this system.

Send me your email address at PM, I can't send PM to anyone.

Done. Thanks!

Reply 10442 of 27412, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This wasn't today, but yesterday - I was in a hurry while moving things around and decided to wire up my 386 board onto another power supply to test it before I put it away. Sadly I hadn't noticed that the CF to IDE adapter's power cable I'd made up could be put in backwards - this meant I was booting up the computer with the CF card receiving 12 volts of power - it was getting a little warm but didn't burn up.

Thankfully the card is the only thing that burned and the computer works now it's got another CF card fitted. That was my only 64MB CF card, so now it's using the 256MB card.

Reply 10443 of 27412, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Living dangerously: running memtest86 to test SDRAM DIMMs - on an i820 board with MTH 😜

Also tested some flopyy & CD drives. About half worked flawlessly. Interestingly all the dodgy floppy drives were Sony. All had trouble reading media the other drives worked fine with. Makes you wonder about the heads. Maybe I'll find some rubbing alcohol somewhere to clean them. Then again, I have more floppy drives than floppy disks at the moment, so not exactly top priority ATM.

Reply 10446 of 27412, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just window shopping some 486...

I'm looking at an IBM Valuepoint that's supposed to have an "Intel Pentium 66 MHz, Socket 4". Wouldn't this rather be an Pentium Overdrive upgrade, than a Pentium 1?

Otherwise, it has 64 Mb of RAM and a ATI Mach32, so might be quite a nice machine there.

Mister Xiado wrote:
More icons. https://www.geocities.ws/oldternet/xiadoic6.gif and another wallpaper. https://www.geocities.ws/oldternet/t_wpct.gif […]
Show full quote

More icons.
xiadoic6.gif
and another wallpaper.
t_wpct.gif

That wallpaper is off the charts. Brings back those awesome decals on early 90's VW Golfs or Fiat Unos around here...

Reply 10449 of 27412, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CT4520 installed in NT4 on the P2B-DS. My preferred USB solution choked during installation, though. Apparently the IONetworks drivers don't support multiprocessor setups! I have a couple of alternatives to try, but it won't be the end of the world if they don't work either.

Reply 10450 of 27412, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@stevonehundred

I personally avoid nt4 like the plague. It doesn't play well with USB, and plug-n'-pray in general.

Go 2000. Its superior in EVERY measurable way.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10451 of 27412, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
henryVK wrote:

Just window shopping some 486...

I'm looking at an IBM Valuepoint that's supposed to have an "Intel Pentium 66 MHz, Socket 4". Wouldn't this rather be an Pentium Overdrive upgrade, than a Pentium 1?

Nope, that sounds like a regular So4 1st gen 5V P5 Pentium. Big, incredibly hot (16W, shocking in 1993) and probably unable to divide properly either.

The more interesting question with a P5 is which chipset it's paired with. Intel's i430LX was rudimentary at best, with no EDO support, although the theoretical ability to run 192MB of RAM and cache 128MB of that beat most alter chipsets. SiS offered the best So4 performance with its 501, that did support EDO. But the interesting stuff was what OPTi, UMC and VLSI were doing, with things like VLB or single-SIMM (i.e. 32b memory controller on a CPU with 64b memory bus...) support. Performance was abominable of course, but features were exotic 😀

Reply 10452 of 27412, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

@stevonehundred
...Go 2000. Its superior in EVERY measurable way.

I agree but I actually use NT4 fairly regularly on a GX260 and quite enjoy it's primitiveness. As for the P2B project, it's going to be a multibooter - NT4, 2K and probably an old version of Ubuntu.

Reply 10453 of 27412, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fair enough. Not having USB on a machine equipped with it, is a big deal breaker for me. Yes I know its possible but it's just not worth the effort. Imho

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10455 of 27412, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today my £5 478 board arrived that I mistakenly bought thinking mine was dead.

hmm
2rL42FRh.jpg

oh ok!
DEhR8jMh.jpg

Also, I tried out Realms of the Haunting! My first FMV game. The acting and voice over is slightly better than I expected I'm already stuck in the game after about three minutes though.

QgoJqJfh.jpg?1
n3msPFuh.jpg
mzCPZi9h.jpg

it's got an impressive atmosphere

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 10456 of 27412, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Murphy is a sod...

Today two parcels arrived: a little one with an AUI-UTP transceiver, a bit one with the most expensive RAM per kB since getting that 16kB RAM pack for the ZX81 back in 1982. Not that it cost a lot, it was just a rather small amount on a huge board: 384kB on a non-standard 16b ISA monster. Both were intended for my Olivetti M24. I have two, one bought dead (for the keyboard), the other worked perfectly last time I booted it (last week sometime). Worked, past tense. Today I fired it up to get a baseline before installing the upgrade to 1MB RAM and a 3Com 3C503 NIC and... nothing 🙁

The monitor, which gets its power from the M24 PSU also didn't do anything, so I suspect the PSU just died on me - a suspicion confirmed by seeing something looking suspiciously like sparks in there. Of course the PSU is completely proprietary, and a quick check on the other M24 shows identical behaviour, so I suspect I'm going to have to fix these myself. That upgrade to 1MB and network connectivity is going to have to wait :'(

Reply 10458 of 27412, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote:

That wallpaper is off the charts. Brings back those awesome decals on early 90's VW Golfs or Fiat Unos around here...

The actual wallpaper is much less gray and gritty.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ycgx98pw5lu6agh … eacher.png/file - In 4K resolution, not that I even have a monitor capable of that.

Still more icons.
xiadoic7.gif

I need to come up with something else to make for that site, for all the five hits it gets in a fortnight. Alas, my programming history is limited to unfinished games in Qbasic, Choose Your Own Adventure games made from batch files, and the icon editor in the tutorial for Visual Basic 3 or 4.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 10459 of 27412, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested old video cards that made me want to tear my hair out, then the doorbell rang and I found myself struggling to drag in a massive box containing a famously huge computer peripheral who's name rhymes with "Groany Knee Me Bent Left Doubled Whew Spine Sundered" ... which, strangely, is kind of descriptive of what happened to my body when I moved this behemoth.

... anyone want to guess? 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.