VOGONS

Reply 7840 of 27185, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally got a video of my P4 rig working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyhsCuUB3MI

3.4Ghz p4 EE
ati x850 XT PE
ageia physx

man this thing just plays everything I want to.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7841 of 27185, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Mmm, that Alpha cooler...

Also, Team America is most probably the greatest movie in the history of movies ever, amen, hallelujah etc.

Reply 7842 of 27185, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, you won't believe it but I managed to infect all of my computers (which is quite a few - old and new ones) with a Polish virus named Pieck.4444 or nicknamed Kaczor. Through one freakin' floppy with LapLink! That fu**er got formatted now 😁

Well, I guess tommorow I will be disinfecting all the day 😁

Reply 7843 of 27185, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
krivulak wrote:

Well, you won't believe it but I managed to infect all of my computers (which is quite a few - old and new ones) with a Polish virus named Pieck.4444 or nicknamed Kaczor. Through one freakin' floppy with LapLink! That fu**er got formatted now 😁

Well, I guess tommorow I will be disinfecting all the day 😁

At least it wasn't Natas. I got that one from some random floppy way back in the day. It screwed up the boot record and instead of booting to DOS, it would just display a bunch of ASCII characters.

http://virus.wikidot.com/natas

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7844 of 27185, by netfreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get my Mac SE/30 running long enough to make a video about Apple UNIX. Previously recapped the board but an important video chip had corroded legs and is too small to work on for a novice like me. After like the 5th soldering attempt it seems to stay running...

auxse30.jpg
Filename
auxse30.jpg
File size
295.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I like computing hardware from the 80s and 90s.
"Paul's Old Crap" retro computing videos

Reply 7845 of 27185, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed the old 60GB Hitachi HDD into my Compaq Presario C700 notebook, installed Windows 7 Pro with SP1, and unfortunately, my wireless card won't work with it. I installed the drivers, and nothing. It's a TP-Link TL-WN722N V1.10 wireless dongle, and the internal wireless card that was in there would crash the system.

I figured I downloaded the wrong drivers for the card as my eyesight at night isn't that great. As for the HDD, I'm planning on getting a 480GB SSD or using the 320GB HDD I have in my Athlon 64 system and put both Windows 7 and linux on the drive.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7846 of 27185, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Straightened and seperated about a dozen or so legs on a Voodoo 2 12MB that was acting strangely. Hopefully things will be resolved now. I will try the card in an SLI configuration tomorrow.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7847 of 27185, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Marginally "retro" but I just inaugurated my new soldering iron (an Ersa RDS80) by replacing a couple of bulging caps on the Peshen rev 2.0 motherboard of a Lenovo ThinkStation (i946GZ chipset, Pentium dual core E2140) I found on the street outside the local zoo a few weeks ago. Hadn't done any re-capping for quite a while, but after a bit of messing around (RoHS solder is stubborn stuff...) the new caps are nicely doing their job and I can boot again. Good practice if not totally retro, practice that will prove useful if I find my mid/late So7 board with K6plus support with tons of bad caps. And it looks like my stock of Panasonic/Matsushita caps I bought years ago are still good.

Reply 7848 of 27185, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost finished by Pentium 4 build today. Installed a Geforce2 MX 400, a floppy drive, a DVD+RW DL drive, and the ASUS iPanel Deluxe. The iPanel is quite cool. It's completely hardware-driven, shows POST code, CPU speed, temperatures, fan speed, and voltages. 😀

Already had Windows ME installed yesterday.

Reply 7849 of 27185, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put a Netflix DVD out in the mailbox, and raised the little flag on the mailbox. Double-retro!

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 7850 of 27185, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Almost finished by Pentium 4 build today. Installed a Geforce2 MX 400, a floppy drive, a DVD+RW DL drive, and the ASUS iPanel Deluxe. The iPanel is quite cool. It's completely hardware-driven, shows POST code, CPU speed, temperatures, fan speed, and voltages. 😀

Already had Windows ME installed yesterday.

Ha! I remember wanting an iPanel back in the day when I ran a CUSL2. Cool stuff

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 7851 of 27185, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Decided to research the history of one of the computers in my collection, my Toshiba T5100. I wanted to do so because it originally came from Germany, and it had the name "Wolfgang Schmittel" on it. Turns out he was a very well known German corporate graphics designer, and he actually helped design the logo for the Braun razor company. He also wrote some books about corporate logo/graphics design, and is well known enough to have his own German Wikipedia page. https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en& … tel&prev=search

You never know what you might be able to dig up on one of your old computers! 😳

Reply 7852 of 27185, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thought about repairing a broken PSone I had. Tested another one with broken CD lid that I got recently for parts for next to nothing, only to find out it works! After frankenstein transplanting some plastics, I now have a proper, nice looking one. 😜

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 7853 of 27185, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Straightened and seperated about a dozen or so legs on a Voodoo 2 12MB that was acting strangely. Hopefully things will be resolved now. I will try the card in an SLI configuration tomorrow.

Aaaand it worked flawlessly! Another Voodoo 2 brought back toplam life.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7854 of 27185, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reinstalling MS-DOS 6.22 by floppies on old IBM Thinkpad 486, attached on huge Dock II - this dock I've searched for a lot of time, is interesting for the external ISA slots, speakers and SCSI cdrom. The original 500mb HD has not any bad sector, so I'm using it while searching for the correct CF adapter to use. Just trying to find the correct ASPI driver to use with the SCSI cdrom, at the moment. In one of the external ISAs I've mounted a SB16 CT2940.

200a050f-36db-4c28-a0d9-50acf76638bb.jpg d54f1391-821f-44db-8b17-f580087c276d.jpg ed188c5a-a489-4e4c-8f65-0bfba6950962.jpg

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 7856 of 27185, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For some odd reason, Windows 95C on my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus under the performance tab when I right-click on My Computer it shows the following:

Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance.
Drive C: using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

What gives? I used the Ontrack Disk Management software on a diskette to use the full 4.6GB storage capacity on my HDD.

Here's my autoexec.bat and config.sys on the system:

:CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 D=256
BUFFERS=40,0
FILES=80
DOS=UMB
REM DEVICE=C:\DRIVERS\DOS\DRIVERS\EEPROM.SYS /880C0000
REM DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN I=B000-B7FF 16384 D=64 WIN=B500-B7FF WIN=F300-F7FF
REM DEVICEHIGH /L:3,4560 =C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
REM DEVICEHIGH /L:1,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH /L:2,12048 =C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE
REM DEVICEHIGH /L:3,3760 =C:\XCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM
DEVICEHIGH /L:2,3760 =C:\XCDROM.SYS /D:DELTA52X
rem DEVICE=c:\sb16\drv\ctsb16.sys /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:1
DOS=HIGH
:AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P300 T6
@echo off
\tandy\sndoff
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
call yamaha.bat
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\DRIVERS\DOS\UTILITY;C:\UTILITY;%PATH%
rem LH /L:0;1,6160 /S SHSUCDX /D:CDROM
LH /L:0;2,6160 /S SHSUCDX /D:DELTA52X
dir D: > CD-rom.txt
cdbq -p2 -dm -s600
lh cmouse19
univbe5
LH /L:1,6384 C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\doskey /insert
SET COPYCMD=/Y
LH /L:0;1,45472 /S smartdrv a- b- c+ d /e:23768 2048 128

Is there anything wrong here? Also, I looked at the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS and there's no reg file labeled NOIDE in there (which is good). Would it be the IDE driver? The motherboard utilizes the OPTi chipset, and Windows 95C never complained on a PC Chips M912 v1.7 board that used a WinBond I/O card.

edit: found out I had smartdrv (MS-DOS 6.22 version) in the C drive (root directory), and I forgot the autoexec.bat goes by the file name either listed in the paths setup or if the file is located on the root directory.

Reply 7857 of 27185, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an IBM 4.3GB SCSI drive in the mail today. Here's how it sounds. http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/lkue75t0ba/IBMSCSI.mp3

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7858 of 27185, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tested some parts I got recently. I hooked up an interesting looking Socket 3 board equipped with an AMD DX4-100, UMC chipset, pci, isa, vlb, COAST slot, 30pin and 72pin SIMM slots... very odd board. Then I saw some really suspicious looking super chintzy onboard cache memory that didn't look at all correct for a board like this. Sure enough, its a PC Chips M919:

http://redhill.net.au/b/b-96.html

Notorious fake cache board! The molded in model number on the chips totally gave it away. I've never seen a real chip marked this way...

Too bad though. The BIOS setup is really cool, has a Windows-looking interface that has mouse support and a ludicrous amount of options, plus its the first working VLB board I've come across, as most were ruined by leaky batteries years ago. The board does feel rather flimsy though.

It seems to work fine though. I played with it a bit, installed DOS 6.22, ran some benchmarks and CACHECHK. It probably works fine for some DOS stuff, but I imagine I'd run into a lot of problems with game performance without any L2 cache. Does anyone use a fake cache board in a retro rig? What can you actually do with it?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7859 of 27185, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is one PCChips board on eBay that has fake L2 cache, but another board revision has the sockets and jumpers for the L2 cache. My plan is to buy both boards and put the sockets and jumpers for the L2 cache from the one board to the other. My Packard Bell doesn't have L2 cache installed and certain games and OSes need L2 cache to run smoothly. Heck, I get 23-40fps in Doom with low/high detail, full/medium screen size without the L2 cache. With it will be higher than that.