VOGONS

Reply 9380 of 27168, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finished up the memory upgrade for my 500. Now I have 1mb Chipmem and 1.5mb Slowmem.
Ready for the next couple of upgrades.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9381 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last night, I decided to swap the PCChips M871G v1.5 motherboard and the ASUS A7V8X-LA (HP OEM) boards around, and Windows 98SE did detect the motherboard, but, I'm getting a "resource conflict" error code 15 on the second Motherboard Resources driver, and I don't see any resource conflicts whatsoever. Also, how can I get to the advanced BIOS for the HP's BIOS (Award BIOS) to change the AGP aperture size?

The on-board audio, FireWire, USB, and Ethernet are all disabled, but, Windows 98SE begs to differ.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9382 of 27168, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you change hardware without removing the old devices from the Win9x registry first, such things can happen. Start regedit and check all entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE. Remove everything that belongs to the old mainboard.

Reply 9383 of 27168, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Started restoring an Alcatel 8551-500 PC today. Based on a custom mainboard made by Acer which can work as either 386SX-25 or 486DX2/50. Not much to show yet, though.

Finished the mainboard today.

Reply 9384 of 27168, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OldCat wrote:

Perhaps not exactly 100% retro activity, but I finally finished wooden compartments on my desk to reclaim some space (not sure what the actual word for this is - could any native speaker help out?). Parts of it are reserved for retro equipment: Tandon 286 already in place, DOS laptop - soon, possibly also ZX Spectrum (if I manage to convert the output to small crt TV I have - would land on the top right) or the original Game Boy with modded screen. Other than that, two slots are for my work laptop (bottom left) and my personal computer (X230T - bottom right).

20180805_171347.jpg

Also, I should soon have new monitor, more apt for retro things (spoiler alert).

I think technically that's a "hutch," though it might also be called a cubby or cubbies. Or a shelf.

I think a hutch is normally taller and a cubby shorter, so that would make this a cubby (sometimes that refers to the whole assembly and sometimes to each space in it, thus the plural).

Personally I'm way behind on my soldering, though I dug out most of my tools and got my station set up. Broke my last multimeter shortly after my last move, need to save up for a better one anyway (sigh).

Working on another project now (apart from smoke inhalation), but hope to have pics of repaired motherboards (maybe even videocards) soon.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9385 of 27168, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oooffff! Tossed out a garbage bag of third rate unused/broken parts; dead drives, crappy office machine grade mobos, tons of canabalized office machine parts I'll never actually use, crappy sound cards, fans/sinks, all manner of minor parts and accessories that that will never see the inside of a working case, etc, etc. Feels great to thin out the mess, and still have a bunch of boxes of cool stuff and backup parts...

Reply 9386 of 27168, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The replacement fan I ordered for my Toshiba 430CDT arrived today (finally... damn, UPS is absolutely terrible making "fake" delivery attempts without actually attempting). Installed it, put everything back together and powered it up and ... nothing! Fan still didn't appear to work. Went back to the maintenance manual and re-read a part I had apparently missed initially where it's discussing various BIOS options, including one that relates to the fan and the description basically indicates that the fan will be turned on only as needed based on the temperature of the CPU.

So, figured that I would just let the Quake demos run on loop for an hour, should get plenty warm. After an hour I notice that the fan is still not running! Felt the bottom of the laptop around where the CPU is and it was definitely feeling pretty warm. Googling around a bunch more, I come across some archived posts on Google groups from 1997 from some guy who apparently serviced these machines at that time who said that the fan would pretty much only turn on when the CPU was reeeaaally hot. Then some more posts from people referencing some "fan.exe" utility that can be used to turn on the fan manually. Hrmm. I knew that the 430CDT diagnostics utility (NOT the "tdiags.exe" tool currently on Toshiba's website, that's something different) had an option for testing the fan but I could not find this diagnostic utility anywhere.

Eventually found a page on archive.org that has a bunch of Toshiba utilities including "fan.zip" which has the fan.exe utility. This utility lets you run "fan on" and "fan off" from a command prompt to turn the fan on/off manually, and now I can verify that my fan does indeed work. Hooray! 😀

(I wonder if the original fan that I thought was broken was infact not actually broken. This laptop is fairly annoying to disassemble to get at the fan and I'm not actually curious enough to do all that to find out... heh.)

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 9387 of 27168, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

Oooffff! Tossed out a garbage bag of third rate unused/broken parts; dead drives, crappy office machine grade mobos, tons of canabalized office machine parts I'll never actually use, crappy sound cards, fans/sinks, all manner of minor parts and accessories that that will never see the inside of a working case, etc, etc. Feels great to thin out the mess, and still have a bunch of boxes of cool stuff and backup parts...

I love a good cleanout! Having a manageable collection also opens the door to a good cataloging session - something else I'm keen on!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9388 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

When you change hardware without removing the old devices from the Win9x registry first, such things can happen. Start regedit and check all entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE. Remove everything that belongs to the old mainboard.

I removed every driver that the PCChips M871G v1.5 has when I booted into Safe Mode, and still no dice. I checked the registry and I didn't see anything listed in there, except for the CPU info, which was correct. I gave up on it since the OS wouldn't boot with the GeForce 6200 AGP card installed, and there was no way to edit the AGP Aperture size in the BIOS since there wasn't an option, even pressing Ctrl+F11 didn't show that option. Also, when I disabled the USB ports on the board, Windows 98SE still detected it for no reason. I decided to put the PCChips M871G v1.5 motherboard back in there, hooked up the 200GB (32GB limit set) to the machine, re-formatted the 60GB HDD (main), and it's currently cloning the 32GB partition to the 60GB HDD (transfer rate is 450MB-490MB per minute, which is 10x faster than before, which was 45MB-49MB per minute).

When I wake up at about 8AM (I work from 9:30am-6pm Mon-Fri), I'm going to hook up the CD drives and install the drivers for the GeForce 6200 AGP card, or place the GeForce2 MX/400 back in (if the drivers fail).

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Appreciate it, man.

Edit: the cloning went faster than I expected (1 hour), so, I clicked on restart computer, turned the power off, disconnected the 200GB (32GB HDD), connected the CD drives, and turned it on. Booted Windows 98SE pretty fast as well, and after that, I installed the GeForce 6200 drivers when the New Hardware wizard popped up after logging in, and it works. Now I have to figure out why the VooDoo2 card isn't working with the motherboard (reboots or hangs), but, all's well that ends well.

Reply 9389 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Added a heatsink to my G200 card that lacked one.. But in hindsight, I taped it on it a bit too low 🙁 Hopefully it doesn't have problems with getting into an AGP slot 🙁

Matrox_Millennium_G200.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9390 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Added a heatsink to my G200 card that lacked one.. But in hindsight, I taped it on it a bit too low :( Hopefully it doesn't hav […]
Show full quote

Added a heatsink to my G200 card that lacked one.. But in hindsight, I taped it on it a bit too low 🙁 Hopefully it doesn't have problems with getting into an AGP slot 🙁

Matrox_Millennium_G200.jpg

To me, it looks like it'll fit just fine in the AGP slot. Enough wiggle room.

Reply 9391 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

To me, it looks like it'll fit just fine in the AGP slot. Enough wiggle room.

Nice to hear. You reckon a heatsink of the same size (40mmx40mmx11mm) with a 40mm fan on top would be enough to cool a Voodoo 3?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9392 of 27168, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gered wrote:

Eventually found a page on archive.org that has a bunch of Toshiba utilities including "fan.zip" which has the fan.exe utility. This utility lets you run "fan on" and "fan off" from a command prompt to turn the fan on/off manually, and now I can verify that my fan does indeed work. Hooray! 😀

Thanks for the link. Might come in handy.

Reply 9393 of 27168, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You reckon a heatsink of the same size (40mmx40mmx11mm) with a 40mm fan on top would be enough to cool a Voodoo 3?

This is exactly what I did on my Voodoo 3 and so far it's running fine 😁 Idk how hot/cool it runs tho.

Reply 9395 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
perkyagnostic wrote:

You reckon a heatsink of the same size (40mmx40mmx11mm) with a 40mm fan on top would be enough to cool a Voodoo 3?

This is exactly what I did on my Voodoo 3 and so far it's running fine 😁 Idk how hot/cool it runs tho.

I put an old AM2+ heatsink fan on my VooDoo3 3000 card with just two screws (diagonally) and hooked up to my motherboard's fan header, and it does work without issues.

Reply 9396 of 27168, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
tincup wrote:

I love a good cleanout! Having a manageable collection also opens the door to a good cataloging session - something else I'm keen on!

I hadn't considered that but yes you are exactly right! I keep parts lists of most my hobby collections - but not PC. I probably have the reason why now haha...

Reply 9397 of 27168, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Imaging some single-sided MSX disks on my 386 (bottom right.) They're not in a standard PC format but a well-written DOS program handles them just fine. 😀

CameraZOOM-20180807232612815.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180807232612815.jpg
File size
195.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
CameraZOOM-20180807231557818.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180807231557818.jpg
File size
168.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Linux + LS120 setup I usually use for this choked on these BTW.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 9398 of 27168, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a really nice 386SX 16MHz OEM system in February, but had to put it away for a while. A few days ago I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to remove the corroding battery. Fortunately, corrosion had not advanced. And I got lucky, the system seems to have been stored on it's side with the motherboard 'upside down' so the leakage did not get on the motherboard itself.

The board itself is a beauty! The systems seems to be in the same configuration as it was when it left the store, and I'm not going to change that! It's sill so clean! No dust, no smoke. Still works too, once I found out what HDD parameters to put into the BIOS. There were some nice games on the disk so I spent some time playing around. The atlas was nice, with borders and countries that no longer exist 😀

OIsl2B9l.jpg

nbknR2ol.jpg

ZKlbtBOl.jpg

Booooo
xsgBfVbl.jpg?1

OxTeOVJl.jpg

wR4OvV9l.jpg

athOCcJl.jpg?1

Beauty!
dsdWv79l.jpg?1

xB9BsHRl.jpg

dZOFSNhl.jpg