VOGONS

Reply 8280 of 27334, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had two Radeon 7000 PCI cards lying about and had no idea about their clockspeeds, so I plugged them into my P3 system and dumped their BIOSes. In case anyone needs future reference of these:

Sapphire Radeon 7000 PCI 32MB 150Mhz/150MHz Core/RAM
HIS (Hightech) Excalibure Radeon 7000 PCI 64MB 143MHz/143MHz Core/RAM[/b]

The BIOSes for these cards are nowhere on the internet as far as I can tell so I can attach them here if anyone needs them.

Strangely enough, one of the cards has 5ns RAM and the other has 4ns RAM, both of which should actually be enough for the 166MHz regular speed of the Radeon 7000 PCI card. Maybe I should try flashing a 166MHz BIOS onto one of these?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-03-12, 08:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8281 of 27334, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

oh that's nice. If you need some pointers on dualies, let me know.

I allredy have some experience with dualies, quadies, sixies and an octo as you might noticed from my collection list in the introducing thread on milliways.
The only dual CPU system that is keeping me troubled is my Proliant 1600.
Upgrading a dual P2/333 from Klamath to Dechutes to increase the cacheble memory size and therefor the amount of installed memory without cache penalty, continues to get me configuration errors.
I don´t believe this is due to the hardware, but more related to this weird Compaq EISA configuration tool.
It works fine in a Proliant 3000 using exact the same CPU boards.

As for the heatsinks: Yes, these are heavy beasts designed to dissipate the 100+ W of these Netburst XEONs, but the ones IBM used in the Intellistation M pro seems eaven more solid to me.
The fans are rare for the reason lot of OEM systems like my Proliants and Intellistations use the chassis fans to vent the CPUs using air ducts.

Reply 8282 of 27334, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compared the picture quality of the iiyama 510Pro to that of the SUN GDM-5510 and in DOS/low res latter is a LOT better. The iiyama lacks green in anything low res/60 hz but does look great in windows. It's a truly solid piece of equipment when compared to normal crts albeit it quickly fades when compared to the GDM. I'm happy to have both but it is quite a hassle moving them around at 80+ pounds, especially when one recovers from back problems.
Honorable mention - an old Belinea 19" I got from a friend some time ago which stacks up nicely in the picture department. Not that "high end" but really good and really capable at 320x200(640x400).

Nonetheless in the end totally worth it.

Reply 8283 of 27334, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[Moved this from another thread that I posted in by mistake]
So, I've posted about my sound issued with my KT7A Athlon Thunderbird rig before. This thing hadn't, until now, worked properly as I poured well over $100 into trying to fix it. It was some ridiculously trivial oversight, but it brought my beige beast to its knees.

I was kind of expecting trouble building this rig. I was vaguely aware of the "VIA haters club", especially concerning the KT133 chipset. I didn't know about chipsets at all when I was 13, but my computer back then was a 1.6 GHz Athlon XP that ran Windows 98 (I wanted my DOS games, but I was only vaguely aware of dual booting and bought into anti-Windows XP FUD), and it was a monumental piece of shit that bluescreened daily and had to be reformatted once a year (I was a pretty terrible user back then, I admit, but it was unstable even when freshly installed). My sister's rig had similar problems and I examined a picture of her motherboard from the time (I sent it to the recyclers because she wouldn't want it and it's a sub-consumer-grade micro-ATX POS with a post-it note saying "board questionable") and it was a KT133, and mine probably was too. Also, Athlons had a tendency to run hot and had what seemed at the time to have a ravenous appetite for power. I think part of its gamer cred back then that it was better for games than the P4 for a while, but it was a loud, hot hassle with a big heat sink that normal people didn't want to deal with--it was a "gamer's processor" in both the good and bad ways. But the thing never, ever worked right. It was usually the sound card, especially when I used an external MIDI module. The sound would never work correctly, no matter how I configured things.

I discovered today that my month-plus of infuriating sound card issues were caused by one little MIDI connector. My MPU-401 breakout cable ends in not one but two MIDI plugs, one for input, and one for output. Not realizing quite how stupid DOS was at the time, I plugged them both into my Roland SC-55, because what could possibly go wrong? Everything. The bidirectional connection with the MPU-401, in DOS and DOS alone (Windows XP never, ever had problems, and I didn't even need to install drivers for any of my cards) almost always caused incredibly bizarre inconsistent, and unpredictable errors, if not outright hanging the system. I went through two Yamaha OPL3-SAx cards (which failed in different ways), ran them in parallel with a PCI SoundBlaster Live!, and now I have the AWE64. The AWE64 seemed to solve the problem, for a while, but after a few hours spent playing games with CD soundtracks, I fired up Doom and it was back, but now it just made DOS games hang on a black screen every time (and UT2004 crashed, but not in any way that hurt the system, once while I was testing it so in my state of rapidly escalating paranoia I was afraid XP was affected. I was absolutely devastated, and I was about ready to sell the motherboard and rebuild the computer as a Slot 1 machine . But while I was taking a shit this afternoon, it occurred to me, it occurred to me that perhaps the fact that the Roland SC-55 can talk back to the computer might cause problems in DOS, so I decided to disconnect the SC-55's midi out from the computer and...

It worked. All the bugs were gone. No, a fast computer does not make ISA cards useless. I was running at 1100 MHz and the music and sound were flawless. I have no idea why the computer is mesmerized into paralysis by the line to the Sound Canvas midi-out. One of the strangest bugs I've ever seen in my life. I blame VIA.

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 8284 of 27334, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Replaced my yellowed old CD-RW drive in the 486 tonight with a shiny new-old-stock I/O Magic 16X DVD-ROM, let's just say, you never realize what a bottleneck optical and hard disk media is to a 486 with VESA local bus and a fast VLB card until you put a PIO-3 HDD and a DVD 16x RW drive in one.....The entire Doom Collection installed in 2 minutes, IIRC it took longer last time on my XP machine. For some odd reason it seems to have boosted the Windows 95 boot time even moreso (as if it was not short enough already)....takes about 15 seconds to boot from the minute it hits the DDO.

20180312_221722.jpg
Filename
20180312_221722.jpg
File size
147.64 KiB
Views
File comment
New DVD Drive in place
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

For gigggles tried out WinDVD, it stops responding in Win95, 🤣. Not like I expected much else. This was more of a cosmetic (and apparently performance) upgrade than anything else.

Maybe I should play with some Linux Live CD's, 🤣. Seems like the more I push this thing, the more I find out it can do. Seems to go pretty willingly into post-486 era territory with a gusto I've not seen since the IBM PC-330 100DX4 I had years ago, and it seems at this point it's doing all that BETTER than the PC-330 did. Go figure.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 8285 of 27334, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow. Dig that setup, creepingnet.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 8287 of 27334, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Starting with today, I'm drinking my coffee from this left-in-a-drawer-to-die.

Attachments

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.

Reply 8288 of 27334, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Secured the donation of a Radeon X1950PRO AGP so now I have all the high end ATI AGP cards to test with my Socket 754.

Sometime. In the future.

*sad*

Reply 8289 of 27334, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boycotting CPUWorld because they now force you to disable adblock to see detailed information.
Nope, I don't care you rely on ads. I'll get my information somewhere else.

Anyone else want to join me in the boycott?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 8290 of 27334, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Boycotting CPUWorld because they now force you to disable adblock to see detailed information.

I feel that CPUWorld is a useful resource, I use it a lot. I don't like ads, especially if they are intrusive and/or a part of a data mining network (which they pretty much all are). I DO care that they need some sort of income. How else are they going to rationalize working on that site? There are bills to be paid every month, and it also takes time.

It would be great if they had some sort of donation/membership system.

I have personally decided to disable my ad-blocker on their site. (but I must admit, only after they started blocking information after a few requests/day last year, which they later stopped doing again).

EDIT: a boycott is a good way to protest their way of working though, if you disagree. But what do you expect them to do? And if you can get your information elsewhere, there isn't really a problem for you is there?

1982 to 2001

Reply 8291 of 27334, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Eh, I have them on adblock exception list happily.

Reply 8292 of 27334, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

No, they are usefull to me and if thats their way of generating income I'm okay with that. (Atleast if I do not get a virus through the ads, which happens to the best. Thats the only problem I have with non intrusive ads)

Reply 8295 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking online for A/V cables for my C64 as the one I made is a little fidgety at times (if I tap the cable, there'll be jailbars or loss of color as I didn't solder all the way for the resistor), and there is a website that sells that particular A/V cable that has composite, s-video, and "stereo" audio for a reasonable price.

To view this post, please pay an additional $10/mo and disable your ad-blocker.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 8296 of 27334, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had a close look at the Tyan board mentioned above and replaced the memory and the CR2032. It proved one of the DIMM memories was bad. Now its booting finally.

S5350_boot_thumb.jpg
Filename
S5350_boot_thumb.jpg
File size
44.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8297 of 27334, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

What do you propose they do to fund their very useful activities? Everybody wants something for nothing.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8298 of 27334, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because so many ads take up massive amounts of bandwidth, take over your screen, give your system herpes, start some video with sound that you don't want to hear, etc. People found a simple way to get rid of everything. So the more legit places suffer too.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8299 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use ad blocker because ads take too much memory on my computer and filling my hard drive with spyware/adware.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser