User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/vse5n2jm.jpg […]
Show full quote

vse5n2jm.jpg

Testing floppy drives. I need a working 360k drive for an upcoming project. sadly I think most of these are 1.2mb.

Wow, nice! I bought a few online last year and the genius that shipped them only separated them by a layer of newspaper... not even crumpled. So they were all slightly damaged. Thankfully, I got all three of them for less than the price of one good drive, and only really needed them to test a huge pile of old floppy disks I obtained. In the end, one worked (aside from making a terrible clunking noise when the system loads windows 98), and I was able to test all of my disks.

I like using these drives, because it reminds me of the first computers I ever used (I have fond memories of using a an Atari 65\130XE with an Indus GT floppy), but trying to get data off of old disks (copied disks) that weren't stored with preservation in mind... yuck. Its rewarding when you fiddle with things just enough to get a disk to read and you're able to save some probably useless but probably rare piece of data, but it can be very frustrating.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6881 of 27358, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow that's a huge haul of fdds !

Some 1.2MB fdds can format in 360k properly : I've got one of these : I cheched the floppies it made with my 360k drive and everything was fine. This drive also a two color LED : it's yellow when accessing 360k discs and green with 1.2mb disks ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6882 of 27358, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

Wow that's a huge haul of fdds !

Some 1.2MB fdds can format in 360k properly : I've got one of these : I cheched the floppies it made with my 360k drive and everything was fine. This drive also a two color LED : it's yellow when accessing 360k discs and green with 1.2mb disks ^^

what sorcery is this? I demand a model number at the very least. (At your earliest convenience, please.)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6883 of 27358, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/vse5n2jm.jpg […]
Show full quote

vse5n2jm.jpg

Testing floppy drives. I need a working 360k drive for an upcoming project. sadly I think most of these are 1.2mb.

Hoarding all the goodies! I need a 1.2 MB / 5.25" drive for some of my old games but the asking prices on ebay make me want to throw up 😜.

What are you building that requires a 360k drive?

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6884 of 27358, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should be back home in 5 hours

Maybe I did something incorrectly with those though, I never really used 5"1/4 fdds before, most of my floppies were dead before finding a floppy disk haul 2 month ago. Here's what my procedure was : The disks were 360k ones, not 1.2MB ones. I remember formating those disks with the 1.2MB drive and being able to read them in the 360k one. And iirc, I could also write data on it using the 1.2MB drive and being able to read it in the 360k one as well

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6885 of 27358, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:
luckybob wrote:

*SNIP*

Hoarding all the goodies! I need a 1.2 MB / 5.25" drive for some of my old games but the asking prices on ebay make me want to throw up 😜.

What are you building that requires a 360k drive?

I'm building a proper "inbetweener". I need a dedicated system to properly format 360k drives. It is also going to double as a capture system as well. I'll make a separate post about it once its done.

Turns out only 1 of these drives was 360k. 3rd column, 2nd row. A Mitsubishi MF501B-347UA

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6886 of 27358, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im going to need a 360k drive to go in my Pentium system so that I can make disks for the C64.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6887 of 27358, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the drive I was talking about earlier is the Mitsubishi MF504C-368U

Reply 6888 of 27358, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Epson SD-800 Dual Floppy Drive that reads and writes 1.44MB, 720KB, 1.2MB, and 360KB Floppies that I inherited from a friend of mine last year that passed away back in December of 2015. I almost took an old computer that had a floppy drive, CD drive, etc, but I ended up taking the sound card that was in it (Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro).

Both the FDD and Sound card are in my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus running MS-DOS 6.22/WFW 3.11 with a DX2-66, no L2 cache, 2GB CF Card, 48x CD Drive, 3Com EtherLink III ISA, Music Quest MPU401 card, and Conner Tape Backup drive.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6889 of 27358, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Yeah the rampage motherboard should have given it away.
That aside whats up with the cache test?

Well, if you talking about spikes/drops in cache speed I think they are related to inclusive type cache of Nehalem CPUs (L2 + L3).
I tried switching off Prefetch (didn't help), tried locking CPU to NB clock and make NB clock 2x DRAM Effective clock - nope, drops are still there.
They only show up after L1 cache is full, and on both L2 and L3 (in certain intervals).

This chip has full 12MB of L3 cache available to it (on top of 32kb L1 and 256kB of L2) wish DOS could use it as "standard" RAM 😁

cache (9k).jpg
Filename
cache (9k).jpg
File size
940.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Score on 4,49GHz (NB=3906MHz + DRAM=1951MHz "192-bit").

157143230295.png

Reply 6890 of 27358, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went thrifting and saw a 386 laptop. I hummed and hawed for quite a while before passing (I don't have much of an interest in laptops since they're harder to get parts for and harder to add things like sound and upgraded video, and this had a b&w passive matrix LCD). I'm sure someone will find it and be happy 😀

Grid Model 1660, 386 CPU(look it up as a 25MHz SX) with 8mb ram.
HsjSXWZl.jpg

Reply 6892 of 27358, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

You never mentioned how much they wanted for it.

$25. Now I'm doing that thing I do where I second guess my decision (even though I have no use for it...)

Reply 6893 of 27358, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
probnot wrote:
liqmat wrote:

You never mentioned how much they wanted for it.

$25. Now I'm doing that thing I do where I second guess my decision (even though I have no use for it...)

We all do that. I passed on an EVGA motherboard at a recycle center. Went back after a few days and it had already been stripped down. The list goes on over the years. I would offer $20 max for it though. I always find laptops with floppy drives handy. The worst you could do is put it up on Ebay for $900 like everybody else. 🤣

Reply 6894 of 27358, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a really cool laptop, but your gut instinct was right. I do the same thing ALL THE TIME when I know deep down the computer / part would just sit and almost never be used. At best maybe you could have profited a few bucks on ebay.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6895 of 27358, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
probnot wrote:

If you have dreams about it tonight, then go back tomorrow and get it 😀

Reply 6896 of 27358, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Powered up my TL/2 after a long hiatus. This is one of my favourite machines, I think it's the monitor that makes it.

0BJmvCcl.jpg

First up, installed an Intel 287XL co-pro. Shows up as a 387 in Norton for some reason.

KfmCyinl.jpg

The old 287 didn't want to come out of the socket though 😒

mTGbdL2l.jpg

Also replaced the SB16 that was in there with a SB Pro 2. Routed the output of the SB Pro 2 to the mono speaker in the monitor.
Sounds exactly right for these kind of Tandy/EGA games! Looking forward to using it this winter.

roZdE3gl.jpg

This machine has a whole lot of other goodies, switchable EGA output, XT-IDE, EMS, HxC etc etc... there is a build thread on it here if you're interested.
Tandy TL/2

Reply 6897 of 27358, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very cool machine bjt - nostalgia coming off that thing from every angle. Where will you set it up? Front and center in the lounge room one assumes? 😜

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6899 of 27358, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Very cool machine bjt - nostalgia coming off that thing from every angle. Where will you set it up? Front and center in the lounge room one assumes? 😜

Haha, would love that but I'll settle for anywhere out of the shed and in the house 🤣