User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andrewreader wrote:
From one Amiga fan to another, well done on your dedication. […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

I have finally gone through all my Amiga disks.

From one Amiga fan to another, well done on your dedication.

Don't forget, you can always store the ADF files on a Compact Flash drive and write them back to the Amiga Floppy Disks.

At the recent UK, South West Amiga meet, I had my Parallel Iomega Zip drive attached and working with my Amiga 1200.

It was also connected to the internet via my mobile phone and a travel router.

I'm also a fan of the latest 'Amiga Forever' on the PC. I've installed Amiga Final Edition 4.1 too.

I have a lot of ADF's my self. Ordered a 4gb CF card to upgrade the 512mb that I have, and will be using the new one for storing ADF files. That way, I can use eighter ADF-Blitzer or ADF2DISK in order to write files. 😀

I truly like using real disks, and I have so many empty ones. I will continue to use disks until drives are nowere to be found.

1200 you say... Hmmm... Sadly they are too expensive these days. 🙁

EDIT:
Amiga600 memory module arived today.... Installed it, and everything runs better.
Came in this fancy box. Love the presentation.

IMG_20171026_243211851.jpg
Filename
File size
518.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by brostenen on 2017-10-25, 22:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7021 of 27407, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aop wrote:

Does anyone have a good advice on how to remove capacitors on these old boards without damaging the board? Any way to protect the bottom layer which gets most of the heat and is most likely to get rekt during the process?

You can preheat the board prior to doing your work. The tools you use also make a huge difference. You use two irons? A desoldering bulb can help, but a desoldering pump is ideal. Something like the Hakko FR-300 (which is what I use).

Adding fresh solder is a good idea - and you mentioned that. There are a lot of capacitors that filter to ground. Obviously the ground plane gives you trouble because of its size. When removing a cap that is connected to a ground plane, I like to desolder the positive lead first (easy) and get it loose. That way there is only one leg pinning you to the board (ground plane). From there, you'll need that extra heat time to get the other cap loose. If the board isn't preheated, I'll put the desoldering pump on there for a bit, pull away, put it back for a bit, pull away, and try not to just leave it there for a long time. Grab the cap with some needle nose and give it a little, gentle wiggle-pull as you are heating the other side. You may not be able to vacuum all the solder out of the hole, but eventually the solder closest to the leg will liquefy enough that you can extract the cap.

I leave my pump on 350C/660F - the lowest setting.

Naturally, if you have minimal solder extraction from the hole, putting in a fresh cap can give you trouble because the remaining solder won't allow enough space to push the lead through. So - favor the negative lead by heating the hole as you push the fresh cap through. The positive side should slide through easily because the solder was easier to remove & the hole is clean. The negative lead will push through and probably have some bumps of old solder on it as it comes through the other side. No big deal - that lead will be trimmed off anyway.

When soldering back to the ground plane - don't forget to make sure the ground plane hole gets enough heat to create a proper joint. The solder will easily melt and grip the cap's leg right at the hole, but the hole is going to need a few extra seconds so as to not have a cold solder joint.

And of course don't forget the secret weapon: flux.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 7022 of 27407, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
I have a lot of ADF's my self. Ordered a 4gb CF card to upgrade the 512mb that I have, and will be using the new one for storing […]
Show full quote

I have a lot of ADF's my self. Ordered a 4gb CF card to upgrade the 512mb that I have, and will be using the new one for storing ADF files. That way, I can use eighter ADF-Blitzer or ADF2DISK in order to write files. 😀

I truly like using real disks, and I have so many empty ones. I will continue to use disks until drives are nowere to be found.

1200 you say... Hmmm... Sadly they are too expensive these days. 🙁

EDIT:
Amiga600 memory module arived today.... Installed it, and everything runs better.

Ooohh an individual computers box in the mailbox is always a welcome sight. I remembee my joy when my ACA500plus arrived. They are a great company.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7023 of 27407, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Besides General MIDI, this special Yamaha version has preset banks for the Yamaha DB50XG daughterboard (default settings), MU80(XG), and two FM synths: TX7 and TX81Z (!).

Late last evening I had a look at the included sysex support, and it includes quite a few high-end Yamaha synths (some of which are on my list of "interesting gear"). Unfortunately no TG-300, but sister module TG100 is also included.

Reply 7024 of 27407, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All your dreams coming true

Attachments

• 20171026_103849.jpg
    Filename
    20171026_103849.jpg
    File size
    583.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7025 of 27407, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, got a slightly later one, MMX though, very similar apart from no LCD status display. Forgot the model. Will look when I'm upstairs.

Edit: Well I guess not super similar, has touchpad (in addition to nubby) 380XD... technically it's my wife's retrogaming machine, though we got her favorites set up in dosbox last year.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7026 of 27407, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Gateway M685E arrived. Posting from it now. With 1.5GB of RAM and the mid end 1.66GHz Core2 Duo processor option this PC is still quite usable for a basic Windows XP web browsing experience. Sadly, the unit I received has some pretty bad light bleed near the edges of the screen when looking at a black background. The Go 7600 GPU seems to be in good working order. Played about an hour of games and it didn't show any issues so I guess I have a good GeForce 7 series based laptop. Now if I can just get my hands on a Gateway MXM Go 7900 I'll have the ultimate DX9 gaming laptop. Sounds great too. I think this model has a sub-woofer or a pseudo-subwoofer system of some sort.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 7027 of 27407, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Last time I got a box like that it had one of these bad boys in it:

http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/product_i … 18&currency=USD

Reply 7028 of 27407, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My Gateway M685E arrived. Posting from it now. With 1.5GB of RAM and the mid end 1.66GHz Core2 Duo processor option this PC is still quite usable for a basic Windows XP web browsing experience. Sadly, the unit I received has some pretty bad light bleed near the edges of the screen when looking at a black background. The Go 7600 GPU seems to be in good working order. Played about an hour of games and it didn't show any issues so I guess I have a good GeForce 7 series based laptop. Now if I can just get my hands on a Gateway MXM Go 7900 I'll have the ultimate DX9 gaming laptop. Sounds great too. I think this model has a sub-woofer or a pseudo-subwoofer system of some sort.

Could be the screen that's having issues. Check the display cable, or hook up an external monitor to see what the issue is.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7029 of 27407, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

Last time I got a box like that it had one of these bad boys in it:

http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/product_i … 18&currency=USD

Ohhh... That is the one I am trying to save up for. Not cheap, though can be installed internally.
Two of them stacked on top of each other, gives dual monitor output.

Reply 7030 of 27407, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

I love getting stuff from Individual Computers. 😀 The boxes they package their stuff in are great (plus the stuff they sell is all great too of course!).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 7031 of 27407, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hopefully I can sell that Compaq Deskpro Socket 370 Pentium3 machine on monday. (P3-1000, TNT2-Pci and Voodoo2)
Someone is going to come and look at it in order to decide if he will buy it.
So if I can get it sold, then I will have money enough for that IndivisionECS module, and the a600 will be almost finished.
Beginning to get a quite expensive old lady... New system board, new mouse, memory upgrade, CF-to-IDE and so on.
On the other hand... She had her caps replaced with tantilum ones on that replacement board that I bought.
This way, I will have an working Amiga for the next +10 years from now on. No leaking caps, that is for shure.

Reply 7032 of 27407, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote:

Nice, got a slightly later one, MMX though, very similar apart from no LCD status display. Forgot the model. Will look when I'm upstairs.

Edit: Well I guess not super similar, has touchpad (in addition to nubby) 380XD... technically it's my wife's retrogaming machine, though we got her favorites set up in dosbox last year.

380XD with a touchpad? o_o

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7033 of 27407, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

380XD with a touchpad? o_o

Heh, apparently not on recheck, derp, getting confused with my T400 I guess.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7034 of 27407, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GeForce2 Ultra arrived. Seems to work. I've got it installed in the P3 machine but my energy ran out before I got around to the 3D tests.

My QX9650 also arrived. Good god this processor is insanely fast for its age. DOOM (2016) was smooth as silk backed by a 780 Ti XLR8.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 7036 of 27407, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided to install an nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP with 512MB RAM inside my Socket 370 system (hit a snag since the aperture size was set to 256MB, it gave conflict errors, and changing it to 64MB made the card work), and Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius doesn't like the card at all for some reason. It liked my VooDoo3 3000 PCI Card, but not any GeForce cards.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7037 of 27407, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my first or maybe second ever STACK OVERFLOW error trying to play Sam & Max Hit the Road in Windows for Workgroups. Only took about TWO HOURS to transfer over the network. Ah well, it works perfectly in DOS, so I can't complain too much, it's just that the icon I made for it is useless. Unless I turn one of my Pentium systems into a Win95 box.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 7038 of 27407, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit: looks like I talked too early. Even with the DVI adapter, the picture shaking at the slightest vibration problem still happens. And it does that only during POST/Pure DOS mode. Looks like I'll have to bring the monitor to a CRT repairman and see what's wrong with it. On the other hand, I discovered that the focus knob can be accessed from outside and so I tweaked it out to increase sharpness. Picture looks way better now.

Last edited by looking4awayout on 2017-10-27, 14:25. Edited 2 times in total.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 7039 of 27407, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My QX9650 also arrived. Good god this processor is insanely fast for its age. DOOM (2016) was smooth as silk backed by a 780 Ti XLR8.

Yes, I regard c2d at 3Ghz+ and c2Q at 2.5ghz plus as "modern" levels of performance still.... considering there's a lot of shatty low speed i3s and pentium dual cores being sold, and the atom based Nxxx are slugs. That's the mainstream, so if they wanna sell games, no sense making them need a top end i7