VOGONS

Reply 7560 of 27441, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Puled out my pile of in-progress builds.

I think I have decided to try to "finish" the Pentium 233-MMX build first.

Worst part is going to be deciding exactly what sound cards to use with it.

Also sourced the drivers, manual, etc. For the IBM/Tecmar ACPA (Audio Capture and Playback Adapter).

card.jpg
Filename
card.jpg
File size
172.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?593 … -PC-sound/page7
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/sound/ACPA.html

I actually posted this to the now defunct eBay thread a while back and ended up buying it myself before the sale ended....

I had one back in the day.. 20+ years ago that was given to me but I was never able to find any information on it and so I got rid of it.

I've only ever seen 2 of these for sale in addition to the one I had years ago. Pretty sure this is one of the rarest sound cards out there.

It is 16-bit and was released before the first Sound Blaster card, but was marketed for business use. Newer/beta drivers support SB emulation through Windows.

It was released in MCA and ISA versions. Apparently the MCA version doesn't like DMA. Not sure if the ISA version will or not as there is absolutely 0 information regarding the actual use of it.

I'm guessing it will be speed sensitive but I may be wrong.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7561 of 27441, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Also sourced the drivers, manual, etc. For the IBM/Tecmar ACPA (Audio Capture and Playback Adapter).

Wow that's a prehistoric looking card, I wonder what it sounds like! Do tell if you get it up and running.

I wonder what it is that makes old sound cards so interesting? I for one find them to be fascinating - more so than any other component in an old PC.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7562 of 27441, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

not retro or vintage by any means but setup this 2008 macbook today and it runs quite well https://imgur.com/a/XKvgU

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7563 of 27441, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Replaced my P3 stystem's motherboard with something that can handle Coppermines; the Abit BE6-II but I'm having nothing but trouble with it. There is an onboard UDMA66 controller that I thought would be great for speeding the system up but instead it makes the PCI bus a huge mess to work with (lots of slots share IRQs and bus mastering with the controller and among themselves so it becomes a mess) - in my current setup the system can't even find a free IRQ for SB Pro Emulation drivers of the Vortex 2.

So I'm considering replacing that, yet again, with a GA-BX2000. Any feedback on whether I should keep the ABIT BE6-II or move to the Gigabyte GA-BX2000 would be great. I think I can make the BE6-II work, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle just to go from UDMA33 to UDMA66..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7564 of 27441, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Replaced my P3 stystem's motherboard with something that can handle Coppermines; the Abit BE6-II but I'm having nothing but trouble with it. There is an onboard UDMA66 controller that I thought would be great for speeding the system up but instead it makes the PCI bus a huge mess to work with (lots of slots share IRQs and bus mastering with the controller and among themselves so it becomes a mess) - in my current setup the system can't even find a free IRQ for SB Pro Emulation drivers of the Vortex 2.

So I'm considering replacing that, yet again, with a GA-BX2000. Any feedback on whether I should keep the ABIT BE6-II or move to the Gigabyte GA-BX2000 would be great. I think I can make the BE6-II work, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle just to go from UDMA33 to UDMA66..

I set up quite a few of those Abit boards with Highpoint controllers, with varying results. It will cost some time to set up as you say. Take a look at http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?44668- … RQ-sharing-help for example, but there are many more examples. https://www.google.nl/search?q=abit+highpoint … n+board+irq+pci

Is disabling and not using the controller another option? Might save you buying a new board.

1982 to 2001

Reply 7565 of 27441, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I already own the BX2000 I just needed to recap half of the 330uF 25V no-name caps on it because they are bulging, and now that is done. So if I am going to disable the Highpoint controller I may just use the BX2000. I will try to get it to work for some more time, if all else fails, the ABIT goes into storage and BX2000 goes into the system. UDMA66 is nice but having a running system is nicer.

Reply 7566 of 27441, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Wow that's a prehistoric looking card, I wonder what it sounds like! Do tell if you get it up and running.

I wonder what it is that makes old sound cards so interesting? I for one find them to be fascinating - more so than any other component in an old PC.

I'll be putting it through the paces once it gets here. I'll probably post an article about it on my upcoming web page, do a YT video and some audio recordings as well.

My take on the soundcards being so interesting is mostly because there was a huge amount of variety and even different cards with the same chipset can sound different because of the rest of the circuitry on the card.

With video, you pretty much got only e few real selections because either the card supports something or doesn't as is fast enough or isn't. The only real big difference between video cards with the same paper-specs is the RAMDAC making a difference in the output quality for VGA. Even so, I have a huge collection of video cards which will eventually be thinned out. Not sure I can bring myself to get rid of sound cards other than extra multiples.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7567 of 27441, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been playing with the Abit BE6-II recently. Slot 1, P3 700 Mhz running Windows XP.

I had a play with the Highpoint 366 ATA-66 controller. I've now disabled it in the BIOS. Far too much trouble.

I tried to use it with a IDE - SATA adapater on an older SATA drive. It was tempermental whilst installed XP.

I really wanted to get this machine good again.

I can't explain why, but the onboard PS2 keyboard and mouse controller no longer works. (I've done a BIOS clear and nothing). I'm now using a USB Keyboard which is thankfully supported in the BIOS.

It has a SCSI controller card and SCSI Yamaha CD Rewriter. The drive is probably past it. I gave it a clean, but it's slow and temperamental.

The PCI USB 2.0 Controller card I have doesn't work with it either.

I really didn't want a PC to throw more money at. But here we are again.

I've got a socket 370 P3 1Ghz chip to use. I'm waiting on a Slocket adapter bought on eBay.

I've installed a IDE Zip 100 drive.

I'll upgrade the RAM to 512 MB.

And buy some games to use with the Voodoo 3.

Virtua Tennis doesn't work on this machine. 😢 And I'll probably get really fixated on that fact.

Reply 7570 of 27441, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Re-tested the LuckyStar board with non-chinese authentic cache chips from Cypress and these 15ns ones withstand 50mhz fsb at the fastest settings in a single bank configuration.
Funnily they even yield a higher performance than the generic ones... very strange.

The score for demo3 of Doom shareware is now at ~65fps+ which narrows the delta to the fastest 486 score in "Doom benchmark results" down to less than 4 frames per second. BUT how to overcome these I have no idea.

Also realized the Rev.D. of the Diamond Riva128 may not be able to run in older systems in general. All the Rivas I have run in older 486 boards while this one only works in a new PC(Core2 was used for testing).

Reply 7571 of 27441, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andrewreader wrote:

I've been playing with the Abit BE6-II recently. Slot 1, P3 700 Mhz running Windows XP.

I can't explain why, but the onboard PS2 keyboard and mouse controller no longer works. (I've done a BIOS clear and nothing). I'm now using a USB Keyboard which is thankfully supported in the BIOS.

Stop the press! I have the same issue with the same board, the mouse PS/2 controller just refuses to work! The keyboard is OK though. Nothing I did in the BIOS seems to help either. I was almost convinced it was an issue with the port itself, but now that you say this..

We need to sort this out. I'm pretty much convinced it's a stupid hardware conflict of some kind now.

Reply 7573 of 27441, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Discovered that the composite TV out on my Trident ProVidia 9685 PCI is next to useless combined with my 1999 27" Zenith TV for three reasons:

1.) The drivers don't provide a proper 320x240 Interlaced mode for TV out, only 640x480 Interlaced which isn't what usually works best on a CRT TV. This leads to a very poor undefined image quality with some color artifacts.

2.) TV out is only available under Windows 95 where this systems Yamaha OPL3-SAX can't be properly tapped by most games due to Windows IRQ hogging. I can get music but no sound FX (initialization failure). This may or may not be an issue on other systems.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 7574 of 27441, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I attempted to repair an interesting old IBM Model F (XT style) clone keyboard I found recently. It appears to be a keyboard for the rare Dimension 68000 desktop, and is a Keytronic design with a similar "decomposing foam pads with mylar stickers" problem that plagues other vintage Keytronics, like the Apple Lisa keyboard. Long story short, I thought I'd be tricky and use some neoprene pads to make the keyboard last forever, but its simply too stiff so I need to use a lighter foam that more closely resembles what was used originally. Rats! 🤣

Here's a great guide I followed:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/entry.php?433-Repa … -the-Apple-Lisa

Its actually a super easy process and doesn't even take that long. Thankfully I only replaced the pads on handful of keys before testing it and realizing it wasn't going to work with neoprene pads.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7575 of 27441, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed the 4.6GB Fujitsu HDD from my Pavilion N3350 into my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus by using the 2.5" to 3.5" IDE HDD kit I got at my local computer store, and my system detected the HDD (as a 733MB drive, but I entered the cylinders as 4000 heads at 15, sectors/track at 63 to make it 1836MB, which isn't bad at all). I then fdisked and formatted the HDD, and after that was done, I typed in these commands to copy everything from the CF Card (drive D) to the HDD (drive C):

A:\>set path=d:\DOS
A:\>C:
C:\>xcopy /s D:\

Going to check to see if it boots up.

Edit (12-20-17 @ 22:49 or10:49pm EST): it boots up! 😀

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7576 of 27441, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
harddrivespin wrote:

Well, what we can do for now is avoid that particular mobo.

The ABIT BE6-II is one of the, if not the best BX boards available in my opinion, even supports overclocking to 200 MHz fsb. the only flaw is Abit used crappy caps that failed often so I'd suggest testing and or changing them.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 7577 of 27441, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently Opti ISA Chipset 82C931 aka "Opti Audio 16" isn't even a 16-bit card. It's a Soundblaster Pro 1.0 (not 2.0/Old) clone. Weird considering I was under the impression that it was a SB16 clone.

Sounds damn good for a non-OPL rip off. It's beating my Yamaha OPL3-SAX (an SBPro 2.0 clone made by Yamaha) senseless in audio quality. The compatibility so far is better too.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 7578 of 27441, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:
harddrivespin wrote:

The ABIT BE6-II is one of the, if not the best BX boards available in my opinion, even supports overclocking to 200 MHz fsb. the only flaw is Abit used crappy caps that failed often so I'd suggest testing and or changing them.

It's brother the BF6 is maybe even better, practically the same board, with one extra PCI slot and without the onboard HighPoint controller. I would love to have either one!

Also, the PS/2 problem feels like a defective component to me somewhere. Hard to tell though...

1982 to 2001

Reply 7579 of 27441, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
cj_reha wrote:
harddrivespin wrote:

It's brother the BF6 is maybe even better, practically the same board, with one extra PCI slot and without the onboard HighPoint controller. I would love to have either one!

Also, the PS/2 problem feels like a defective component to me somewhere. Hard to tell though...

I can't see any dead caps on mine with visual inspection, feel free to help me out though (click for larger):

med_gallery_60983_11505_572486.jpg