VOGONS

Reply 12120 of 27364, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks decent from this side. Xiado is right, having a clean work piece is a big part of the job. You can do this by board prep ahead of time and by using flux judiciously. You'll notice when flux is necessary as your solder won't flow properly.

Hershey kiss is a good description of what you're looking for. You want enough solder to flow over the pad or through hole and up the legs of your part while leaving a nice concave fillet. Too much solder will look like a blob over the leg. It's not necessarily a problem structurally or electrically (as long as solder heat was correct and you're not leaving cold joints), but it's inefficient and unsightly.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12121 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My solders are mostly ok then I guess. There isnt any solder on the component side on some and the solder is a bit too convex on some but overall Im happy with my soldering.. 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12122 of 27364, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

My solders are mostly ok then I guess. There isnt any solder on the component side on some and the solder is a bit too convex on some but overall Im happy with my soldering.. 😀

You will get better by practice. 😀 The Adlib was also my first major soldering project. I started with some perfboards and some simple blinking LED kits and then ramped up to the Adlib. You will do just fine!

Two hints: use a good temperature. In the beginning I worked too cold. 350°C
Is usually good. Also: clean the tip regularly! Dirty iron tips make bad solder joints. Use brass wool rather than wet sponge, due to thermic stresses.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 12123 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately I just have a cheap 30w soldering pen that isnt temperature controlled as the initial investment for a temperature controlled one was a bit too much; Im feeling kind of confident with what I have now so I would get a desoldering station before I get one I feel.. Or maybe Im just dumb.

Reply 12124 of 27364, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't be afraid to use more solder than you expect either.

I did the XT-IDE kit a little while back. I had undersoldered a whole pile of pins on ICs, leading to bad connections. So it didn't work at first.

Going over it carefully, fixing bad connections and adding more solder fixed it up nicely. A little too much solder is better for through-hole connections then not enough it seems.

Edit: Some of the solder is actually flux, so that you end up with less volume then you actually melt, keep that in mind too.

Reply 12125 of 27364, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Unfortunately I just have a cheap 30w soldering pen that isnt temperature controlled as the initial investment for a temperature controlled one was a bit too much; Im feeling kind of confident with what I have now so I would get a desoldering station before I get one I feel.. Or maybe Im just dumb.

You don't have to get fancy with Pace or Metcal gear these days. I'm a big fan of Chinese T15 irons. They can be had for <100 CAD (< 70 USD).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12126 of 27364, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First post of actual retro activity in a long time as I have burned out on the "retro scene".

I wanted to make a XP PC to play NOLF. I had a MX440 128bit 64Mb and FX5500 ???bit 128Mb. I wasn't sure which was faster so I benchmarked them.

3DMark 2001
MX 6790 | FX 5032

3DMark 2003
MX 349 | FX 1113 (MX could only run the first game test... DX8 only?)

Aquamark 3
MX 1035 | FX 885

Morrowind
MX 43 | FX 34 (View from intro ship deck)

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
MX 46 | FX 28 (first shot of the prison from the ceiling after intro cutscene)

No One Lives Forever
MX 38 | FX 21 (intro cutscene showing van)

Slightly surprised that the FX is so much slower in games. After all that I'll make a fast, quiet but boring S775 PC *yawn*

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 12127 of 27364, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had the Acorp 5VX32 with a Dallas bios chip converted to a coin cell battery.

Searching around the internet, i found the same board's picture with coin cell and some other optional components filled on the board. So i filled those empty places myself as well!
In total: Coin cell holder, socket to replace the Dallas chip, one crystal and DS12885 to replace the old dallas chip, and the board works great now!

And while at it, i also soldered a PS/2 mouse socket on it, as it had empty spot there too. Working well!

So basically, i think i upgraded this board to a notch higher level model. 😀

It took quite a lot of time as the first DS12885 was not working correctly. Ordered a second one from a second seller, and this one works.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 12129 of 27364, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:
First post of actual retro activity in a long time as I have burned out on the "retro scene". […]
Show full quote

First post of actual retro activity in a long time as I have burned out on the "retro scene".

I wanted to make a XP PC to play NOLF. I had a MX440 128bit 64Mb and FX5500 ???bit 128Mb. I wasn't sure which was faster so I benchmarked them.

3DMark 2001
MX 6790 | FX 5032

3DMark 2003
MX 349 | FX 1113 (MX could only run the first game test... DX8 only?)

Aquamark 3
MX 1035 | FX 885

Morrowind
MX 43 | FX 34 (View from intro ship deck)

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
MX 46 | FX 28 (first shot of the prison from the ceiling after intro cutscene)

No One Lives Forever
MX 38 | FX 21 (intro cutscene showing van)

Slightly surprised that the FX is so much slower in games. After all that I'll make a fast, quiet but boring S775 PC *yawn*

With a release date of 2000 wouldn't a GeForce2 Ultra on a Tualatin be an era appropriate build? Maybe even a GeForce 256 depending on how early in 2000 that game was released.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12130 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Feeling a bit nauseous and a bit dizzy from all the smoke (Note to self: Don't forget ventilation ever again!) but it's done.

Tubetime-Adlib-Day-03-A.jpg

Tubetime-Adlib-Day-03-B.jpg

The pot is not the right one, but I couldn't get hold of a Bourns profile pot and for now this will do, I can replace it later.

I'm quite proud of myself, to be frank 😀

Reply 12131 of 27364, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks pretty good.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12132 of 27364, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just set up a Pentium 133MHz machine, complete with sound card and everything from my spare parts. Going to sell it as i'm not really a collector, but want few specific machines to work. But often, when i find a deal, i get more than i really need.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 12133 of 27364, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking spiffy. I recommend watching Voultar's videos on his soldering projects. The man is a wizard with an iron.
Also, the reason why smoke gets in your face is because the air in front of you is basically a negative pressure area, as everything else around you is flowing. Basically, the air between you and the smoke isn't moving, but everything around you is, and this basically pushes the smoke into you. A tiny desk fan blowing away from you, near the work might help, but don't have it blowing directly across the board, or you'll keep cooling everything you're trying to heat.

My soldering equipment is basically a ?W iron with a stand so light, the weight of the iron's cord likes to pull it off of the table, a little tub of flux, a couple spools of Radio Shack solder, a spring-loaded solder vacuum, a couple feet of de-soldering braid, and a small magnifying lens with articulated alligator clips. Oh, and I bought a soldering gun from a car parts shop as I has having issues with bigger soldering projects, like removing the massive heat sink of an RF modulator from my Atari 7800 (composite video mod), and re-attaching the power clip on my Crown Victoria's rear window defogger. The silly thing is, I have an electronic engineering degree, but I don't have a soldering station, desoldering gun, hot air unit, anti-static mat, articulated lights, large magnifying lenses, macro cameras, or a proper workstation with ventilation. I've made $0.00 with my degree, so never saw fit to put more money into it.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12134 of 27364, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mister Xiado wrote:

Looking spiffy. I recommend watching Voultar's videos on his soldering projects. The man is a wizard with an iron.
Also, the reason why smoke gets in your face is because the air in front of you is basically a negative pressure area, as everything else around you is flowing. Basically, the air between you and the smoke isn't moving, but everything around you is, and this basically pushes the smoke into you. A tiny desk fan blowing away from you, near the work might help, but don't have it blowing directly across the board, or you'll keep cooling everything you're trying to heat.

My soldering equipment is basically a ?W iron with a stand so light, the weight of the iron's cord likes to pull it off of the table, a little tub of flux, a couple spools of Radio Shack solder, a spring-loaded solder vacuum, a couple feet of de-soldering braid, and a small magnifying lens with articulated alligator clips. Oh, and I bought a soldering gun from a car parts shop as I has having issues with bigger soldering projects, like removing the massive heat sink of an RF modulator from my Atari 7800 (composite video mod), and re-attaching the power clip on my Crown Victoria's rear window defogger. The silly thing is, I have an electronic engineering degree, but I don't have a soldering station, desoldering gun, hot air unit, anti-static mat, articulated lights, large magnifying lenses, macro cameras, or a proper workstation with ventilation. I've made $0.00 with my degree, so never saw fit to put more money into it.

How do you not make use of a degree like that in this day and age? Any I.T. degree should really be future proof.

At any rate, this is why I'm going the experience and certifications route with my I.T. carear, and staying the freak away from college and it's associated debt.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12135 of 27364, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

At any rate, this is why I'm going the experience and certifications route with my I.T. carear, and staying the freak away from college and it's associated debt.

This is what I am doing. Guess we'll see how it turns out...

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12136 of 27364, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Feeling a bit nauseous and a bit dizzy from all the smoke (Note to self: Don't forget ventilation ever again!) but it's done.

The pot is not the right one, but I couldn't get hold of a Bourns profile pot and for now this will do, I can replace it later.

I'm quite proud of myself, to be frank 😀

Very nice, i did make an homemade Adlib completely from scratch, long ago,by etching a double sided pcb from Malinov's website. It was a nightmare to make but it costed only about 20 eur in components,including enough spares to make another one.

IMG_20190620_201821.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190620_201821.jpg
File size
310.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yours seems a really faithful replica of the original.

Can i ask where did you get/how did you make that PCB? I might assemble one too, if the price is fair.

Reply 12137 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Discovered that, at least as far as version 0.58, D1X/D2X Rebirth (the Descent source port) supports 320x240 & 320x200 modes with the original bitmap assets and all the eye candy turned on. This is a legit 70Hz line-doubled VGA mode according to my monitor info & not some kind of upscaled emulation.

A any rate, it works on my WinXP/GMA X3100 box. Oddly enough, on my "more retro" Win98 machine running D1X 0.56 on a GF3, I don't see the low-res options & am limited to 640x480. Not sure if this was added back in or if it's to do with the graphic drivers.

Playing this way is a kind of surreal experience - the chunky low-res with heavy filtering, plus colored lighting & transparency effects everywhere make it seem like a hypothetical PS2 or Dreamcast port of the game would have looked like. I like it.

scrn0000.png
Filename
scrn0000.png
File size
123.75 KiB
Views
File license
scrn0002.png
Filename
scrn0002.png
File size
140.2 KiB
Views
File license
scrn0007.png
Filename
scrn0007.png
File size
153.46 KiB
Views
File license
scrn0009.png
Filename
scrn0009.png
File size
122.75 KiB
Views
File license

^^ actual screenshots were 320x240, I upscaled them myself for better viewing

Last edited by xjas on 2019-06-20, 20:43. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12138 of 27364, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

How do you not make use of a degree like that in this day and age? Any I.T. degree should really be future proof.

I live in an old steel town, and the only electronic engineering jobs that come up are when the EE guy at a foundry croaks, and the company needs someone to maybe re-fab a controller board for a proprietary system once every few years. My professors told me this, almost word for word, in my first week. While employment options were uncommon when I started college, they've become nonexistent in my area since. On the plus (?) side, I know how to make many nefarious things with less than a dollar's worth of components, but the knowledge is only marginally practical in day-to-day life. Everything I learned, could be learned for free on Youtube, provided you have the funds to buy the equipment needed to perform the work.

Best to learn a trade, like welding. Something that is in demand at all times, and is not something that just anybody can do, yet isn't microsurgery-level difficult to learn.

Minor annoyance: Many great DOS games that could use a Windows 3 icon have extremely long names, while simultaneously lacking any unique iconography. Even the box art is a busy mess, most times, making it difficult to come up with a 32x32@4bpp image indicating "hey, this is for X game". Pool of Radiance was hard enough to do.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12139 of 27364, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rebuilding my 486.. new old stock Biostar MB-1433/50UCV-D v1.0, Intel 486DX2-66 (new old stock SX955 w/ writeback), ATI Mach64 ISA (new old stock), SoundBlaster Pro 2. Just need to find a more appropriate CD-ROM.

pIz4prch.jpg

qeSigRFh.jpg

S1SfWFlh.jpg

TaLCN31h.jpg

f33M0Tmh.jpg

OktS7k1h.jpg

4h5aaPHh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals