VOGONS

Reply 9480 of 27334, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got tired of constant CPU cooler howling in my P133 rig on every power-on. Thanks god they still make smaller fans. I had to wait for almost a week, since the local store doesn't keep it in stock. Supposed to be high-end, Noctua level. It even has 2-pin connector. If it's anything I expect it to be, I'll get a few more to upgrade other machines.

DSC_0575.jpg

Update:
Yeah.. 😒 Even though the size of the fan matches socket 7 heatsink perfectly, somehow I ignored the fact that in most cases the fan should be 5mm smaller to fit inside the heatsink. I'll try longer screws or some improvised bracket mounts. I don't believe I've seen 45mm around and 40mm just doesn't give me the right vibes.

Update 2: "Longer screws". Back in business!

Reply 9481 of 27334, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:
I just got a copy of Hollywood Hijinx. It is the Apple II version, but I will play it either on the 286 or on my iPad using Frot […]
Show full quote

I just got a copy of Hollywood Hijinx. It is the Apple II version, but I will play it either on the 286 or on my iPad using Frotz...

I started by reading through the extra material, which is quite a lot in this game! 😀 The game is a treasure hunt of some sorts: your eccentric, rich aunt has died and she and her late husband (a Hollywood producer) have hidden ten 'treasures' in the house. You have to find them in the course of one night to claim your inheritance.

Looking forward to actually playing it!

FE428CFC-A69A-4C45-A700-6F402775096D.jpeg

Infocom was my early introduction to imaginative video games. Not the first games I played, but the first best.

People cared about box contents then, too. 😀

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9482 of 27334, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will create a new thread when it's fully complete, but for the time being, here's a pic of the cable management on my favourite PIII build. I found a couple of SCSI 50 to SCSI 68 adapters and a nice cable to make the CD burner cable that much neater!

IMG_0048.jpg
Filename
IMG_0048.jpg
File size
242.01 KiB
Views
File comment
Dat cable management
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9483 of 27334, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Merovign wrote:
root42 wrote:
I just got a copy of Hollywood Hijinx. It is the Apple II version, but I will play it either on the 286 or on my iPad using Frot […]
Show full quote

I just got a copy of Hollywood Hijinx. It is the Apple II version, but I will play it either on the 286 or on my iPad using Frotz...

I started by reading through the extra material, which is quite a lot in this game! 😀 The game is a treasure hunt of some sorts: your eccentric, rich aunt has died and she and her late husband (a Hollywood producer) have hidden ten 'treasures' in the house. You have to find them in the course of one night to claim your inheritance.

Looking forward to actually playing it!

FE428CFC-A69A-4C45-A700-6F402775096D.jpeg

Infocom was my early introduction to imaginative video games. Not the first games I played, but the first best.

People cared about box contents then, too. 😀

I do play contemporary IF games as well. But having the feelies in the package does not compare to anything else...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 9484 of 27334, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying different combinations of parts and OSes in my machines, and decided the best way to go with my ibm pc340 p100 was to go fully win95c. After trying a few sound things I found an old SB Vibra16c. Plugged in, it works like a charm. At least it did in the second slot I tried. Installed the original NASCAR racing, and it works! This should work well as a late Dos machine/early win95 box.

I had a SB audiopci card in it, which somehow I had working, but after my CD-ROM crapped out, it threw all the PNP settings in disarray and I couldn't replicate it. Weird when downgrade is an upgrade.

I have a p200mmx Sony vaio with a built in rage ii. Would the audiopci card be an upgrade over the onboard sound? I have win98se on it, if that matters.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 9485 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends on the on-board sound. Pretty much every system I have (Pentium III-FX-6300) has the integrated sound, but two of them are disabled since I have the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI cards installed (Pentium III, and Athlon XP). My old Packard Bell has the ESS AudioDrive ES1688F sound card installed in place of the Sound Blaster 16 CT2740 and it's amazing that I can change the Sound Blaster version from the standard Sound Blaster to the Sound Blaster Pro using the jumpers. My main desktop has the integrated audio, but I use the HDMI (has built-in audio) port to hook it up to my TV set for smoke testing old IDE hard drives or to a computer monitor, but sadly, no room for a Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI-E sound card (should've gotten a better board) since the GPU's heatsink fan covers the PCI-E slot.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9486 of 27334, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RichB93 wrote:

Will create a new thread when it's fully complete, but for the time being, here's a pic of the cable management on my favourite PIII build. I found a couple of SCSI 50 to SCSI 68 adapters and a nice cable to make the CD burner cable that much neater!

The attachment IMG_0048.jpg is no longer available

Good job, so many people don't bother because older machines (usually) don't produce that much heat that airflow matters.

Anyone else ever do this in the old days:

IDESliced.jpg
Filename
IDESliced.jpg
File size
361.97 KiB
Views
File license

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9487 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My plan is to do that for my extremely high end Windows 98SE machine (gonna put the PCChips motherboard back in again due to resource conflicts).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9488 of 27334, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Merovign wrote:
Good job, so many people don't bother because older machines (usually) don't produce that much heat that airflow matters. […]
Show full quote
RichB93 wrote:

IMG_0048.jpg

Good job, so many people don't bother because older machines (usually) don't produce that much heat that airflow matters.

IDESliced.jpg

Funnily enough I salvaged some IDE80 cables from an ancient HP server that are cut and braided just like that! Much nicer than the fat flat cables.

Reply 9489 of 27334, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Merovign wrote:
RichB93 wrote:

IMG_0048.jpg

The thing that surprises me is that no one (me included) routed the cables behind the motherboard or indeed the motherboard plate. Started doing it a few (10 or so...) years back on my modern builds, now also doing it retro. Works like a charm. Agreed that airflow doesn't really matter so much in a 486-system, but it's more than worth it for ease of access to slots, components and jumpers.

Reply 9490 of 27334, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

The thing that surprises me is that no one (me included) routed the cables behind the motherboard or indeed the motherboard plate. Started doing it a few (10 or so...) years back on my modern builds, now also doing it retro. Works like a charm. Agreed that airflow doesn't really matter so much in a 486-system, but it's more than worth it for ease of access to slots, components and jumpers.

I do that whenever a) there's room in the case and b) the cables are long enough.

Ironically SCSI cables are usually really long but the cases usually don't have room.

Dell used to have pretty good cable management, maybe still do. Even ribbon cables slotted away flat.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9491 of 27334, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installing W2k RC2 on my AlphaPC 164. Finally sorted the SCSI issues. First attempt was almost successful but the system partition was too small (I gave it a scant 1GB) so after install disk C: was full and it started throwing weird errors. Wiped that off, gave it a larger system partition now (3.8GB), install in progress.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9492 of 27334, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Soldered together an adapter, (almost) according to the schematic on page 45 here, to be able to use a Sega Megadrive/Genesis gamepad with my C64. Didn't have the suggested germanium diodes in stock, so decided to take the chance that the C64 wouldn't mind the higher forwarding voltage of regular 1N4148 silicon diodes. Seems to work just fine.

Also did a mod to the mod, added a diode mapping the C button to UP, very useful in games that uses UP for jumping, e.g. Giana Sisters.

IMG_20180817_101021.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180817_101021.jpg
File size
103.28 KiB
Views
File license

Finished with some hot glue and heat shrink tube:

IMG_20180817_102904.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180817_102904.jpg
File size
78.67 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 9493 of 27334, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The almighty washing machine lives again!

IMG_20180817_200211_zpshbw6waoh.jpg

I managed to sort out the capacitorotomy that was done to it by someone else (bought new one and replaced the broken) and the disk roared back to life once again.

IMG_20180811_175726_zpsrg8xu1rw.jpg

It actually doesn't behave too well, it has long timeouts on some places on platter and actually at some point it throws I/O error, but I hope that will sort out as time goes and my knowledge enhances 😀

Reply 9494 of 27334, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed a Arctic Silent 3 HSF in my Tualatin machine today. I was after one of these coolers for a while due to the slanted base. There are caps in close vicinity to the socket which made it impossible to install larger heatsinks.

PcoB9SBl.jpg
FZosB4ol.jpg

Reply 9495 of 27334, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kaputnik wrote:

Soldered together an adapter, (almost) according to the schematic on page 45 here, to be able to use a Sega Megadrive/Genesis gamepad with my C64. Didn't have the suggested germanium diodes in stock, so decided to take the chance that the C64 wouldn't mind the higher forwarding voltage of regular 1N4148 silicon diodes. Seems to work just fine.

Cool! I use a Master System controller with my C64 and am happy with that - no mod required. That up button trick sounds handy though I must admit.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9496 of 27334, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:
Installed a Arctic Silent 3 HSF in my Tualatin machine today. I was after one of these coolers for a while due to the slanted ba […]
Show full quote

Installed a Arctic Silent 3 HSF in my Tualatin machine today. I was after one of these coolers for a while due to the slanted base. There are caps in close vicinity to the socket which made it impossible to install larger heatsinks.

PcoB9SBl.jpg
FZosB4ol.jpg

What Tualatin board has THREE ISA slots?!?

Reply 9497 of 27334, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:
Bancho wrote:
Installed a Arctic Silent 3 HSF in my Tualatin machine today. I was after one of these coolers for a while due to the slanted ba […]
Show full quote

PcoB9SBl.jpg
FZosB4ol.jpg

What Tualatin board has THREE ISA slots?!?

My question would be - is that an Intel board or another chipset maker's board (VIA, etc.), and, by extension, what chipset is on that board?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9498 of 27334, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I have a VIA Apollo Pro board with 3xISA that should support Tualatin chips, it's a Slot 1 board though.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 9499 of 27334, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am wondering how urgently I need to clean this and what the damage of it is like, the seller's picture is from before this corrosion started happening (I think?)

IMG_0003 (Custom) (1).jpeg
Filename
IMG_0003 (Custom) (1).jpeg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license