VOGONS

Reply 12260 of 27168, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@oeuvre you could get a usb floppy drive and mod it to mount in that floppy location, connecting internally so everything on the front is fully functional

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 12261 of 27168, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this Compaq Presario CQ60-210OE machine (AMD CPU and Geforce 8200-Mobile) that I used the last two days to install Lubuntu Linux on. It is a gift to someone that need a replacement for her broken laptop. All she need is a tool for writing a book and some light internet searching for information for her book. And installing Lubuntu 18.04 gives her a decent machine. It has 4gb of Ram and 350gb of harddrive. Pretty spec's for her needs. I installed Libre Office and something called Focus Writer on it, installed Gedit and Midnight Commander, installed restricted codecs, java and enabled Root login. Then updated the complete system fully. Gave her one game though wich is Frozen Bubbles. For a 2009 computer, then I think it is pretty fast with Lubuntu.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12263 of 27168, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did something to offend just about every kind of purist: after cleaning my IBM Model F 122 'Battleship' I hooked it up to my PowerMac dual G5. Worked like a dream in OS X 😜

Reply 12264 of 27168, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ What's the problem? You were using an IBM keyboard to operate a machine running IBM CPUs. Seems legit.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12266 of 27168, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote:
Finished my humble gaming room/mancave. Still need to sort out some issues again with my 386 :( http://i.imgur.com/PfdKgJml.jpg […]
Show full quote

Finished my humble gaming room/mancave. Still need to sort out some issues again with my 386 🙁
PfdKgJml.jpg
NnwW45xl.jpg
6pRw6sKl.jpg

Damn it I would say so.

Your CRT seems to have imploded and gone flat. Looks like it needs replacement.... with a bigger CRT.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12268 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sweet setup, though.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12270 of 27168, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ghetto fixing a Inno3D Geforce 9800GT 512MB. So far it's been reflowed, I replaced three MOSFETs and pretty much it. I have to resolder three tiny caps, then finally zip-tie an AMD FM1 cooler on it.

If this thing works fine and passes Furmark with flying colors, I'll be damned. 😀

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 12271 of 27168, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:

Very nice!

I have moved recently and will have my mancave ready in a few months, too! Can't wait to show it to you guys.

I only need to do two things welllllll make that 3:

* look into the 386
* paint the room
* hang a NEON SIGN!!!! Preferably "Flynn's Arcade" 🤣

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 12272 of 27168, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Murugan wrote:
Finished my humble gaming room/mancave. Still need to sort out some issues again with my 386 :( http://i.imgur.com/PfdKgJml.jpg […]
Show full quote

Finished my humble gaming room/mancave. Still need to sort out some issues again with my 386 🙁
PfdKgJml.jpg

that case is beautiful

I did what had to be done today...

varta.jpg
Filename
varta.jpg
File size
103.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

the GP battery didn't show any signs of corrosion yet, but better safe than sorry, 2 of the boards with corrosion seem to have come out more or less unscathed, the others got one or more damaged traces unfortunately.

Reply 12274 of 27168, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I've been making replacement card brackets for the recycled cards I bought recently 😁

2019-07-13 23_38_21-Fusion360.png
Filename
2019-07-13 23_38_21-Fusion360.png
File size
170.67 KiB
Views
File license

The Voodoo 3 seems to work, after repairing one broken trace to the AGP connector and all the capacitors. The fan is *slightly* overkill, but certainly looks nice - this seems to be the only heatsink I have that fits, it uses different spacing than regular 55mm video card fans or northbridge heatsinks:

Voodoo3-extracooledition.jpg
Filename
Voodoo3-extracooledition.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 12275 of 27168, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested the 'new' (to me at least) Enermax 600w PSU on my Tyan dual socket 370 board to see if it would work as is - couldn't get it even into Windows so clearly it needs some help.

So... I cracked it open, removed all the large capacitors and ordered new higher-quality replacements from DigiKey, cracked open an EVGA B450 to see what kind of nightmare I'm getting into transplanting the guts of the Enermax unit into the EVGA case, converting it into a modular PSU. Other than being a little surprised at the power plane connections into the board which has all the modular connectors, I don't *think* it will be too terribly much work.

After that was decided I also removed all the wiring harness wires from the Enermax PSU board, though I'll need to buy a more powerful soldering iron to properly clean off all the globbed-on solder for each voltage rail area. Won't be able to get around to completing this until September but it's nice to know what will be necessary.

Also selected a new replacement fan for the 400W VPower PSU (a Noctua redux 1800rpm 80mm fan) which should keep the PSU cool enough, and not sound like a jet engine. So many projects... no time at all.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 12277 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Friday: installed the Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16 drivers for Windows 95C on my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus and removed the XT-IDE Universal BIOS chip from the network card, gutted a broken PSU that worked for a while and it quit working one day and MacGyvered it (bent the sides at a 90 degree-ish angle) to fit the CHiLL Wave Table board with my Yamaha DB50XG installed, hooked up the switching power supply, the MIDI cable from the Roland MT-32, and the RCA to 3.5mm jack audio cable to my MPU-401 clone card and it works. Had to change the GSPLAY.CFG for the MIDI addresses: IRQ and I/O Address and the type from SB to MPU401 to get the files to play and the reset SYX commands sent to the Roland MT-32 and the Yamaha DB50XG.

Saturday: went to a local game shop I've never been to before until then and hooked up my SNES/N64/GameCube, PS1, Genesis Model 1, and Original Xbox using the new Hyperkin HDTV adapters and set my DVDO Edge to 4:3 mode, as well as the HDTV cables for the PS1/PS2, SNES/N64/GameCube, and Genesis Model 1. I also sprayed DeoxIt D5 on my Original Xbox's IDE ribbon cable as it displayed a code error 09 for missing drive parameters and the DVD drive read a disk and stopped reading them after that and I also fixed the issue where the DVD drive would get stuck without a disk in the drive with 70% Isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip soaked in it to fix the belt and clean the tracks on the tray itself. I also swapped the DVD-RW drives in my dad's computer as it would try to rip a CD onto iTunes and it stops getting detected and even the drive I swapped it with didn't work either. I cleaned the SATA cable with my DeoxIt D5 and the CD was ripped successfully after that. I placed the other DVD drive that was in there into my Socket 370 build using the SATA to IDE adapter I bought months ago as the DVD drive that was in there refused to read any disk I placed inside. I had to change the jumper on the CD-RW drive to slave as the SATA to IDE only has master as a setting and no jumper to switch it from master to slave, but, it works and I switched the drive letters so the DVD-RW shows as Drive E and the CD-RW as Drive D.

The Genesis cable does support the Master System and Nomad (don't have either yet) easily.

I should get a better power brick for my SNES and Genesis as the ones I have don't have UL listed on there, which is a big no-no in the USA to not have such label. My RCA Switching power supply that does voltages from 6V-12V AC or DC is ETL and UL listed, and SA listed. Too bad they don't make adapters that fit into the SNES. Heck, I can MacGyver one safely by crimping the wires together and heatshrink them with electrical tape going around in case bare metal is exposed, but, that won't necessarily be a good idea. eBay, here I come.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12278 of 27168, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spent a while setting up my new 286 machine, using the board from Keropi ~
New2860.jpg
New2861.jpg
I had to cut the hole bigger to fit the MHz display, there were none in the chassis and none of the ones I had lying around fit there...
Another curious thing is that Trident 8900D won't run at all in the machine, no POST... 9000i-1 and 9000i-3 do, and 3 is really really slow compared to 1, regardless of jumper settings. 8900D is faster but it is a shame it won't work, it is the second fastest ISA card I have, fastest is WD90C30 that sits in my 386 machine.
I also made more or less exact length cables. First cable for floppy failed, it couldn't read or write even though motors came on, second went perfectly. I also found that few of my CD drives cause the machine to stop booting when connected, but those drives work perfectly on newer stuff.
ATX PSU got converted into an AT one aswell.
MS-DOS installation just completed, time to add various software on the thing ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12279 of 27168, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished my s370 mATX near-silent sleeper today, and I quite like the result.

- soyo 7vem
- via c3 750mhz@100fsb
- voodoo3 pci with fan mod
- audician32
- 256mb pc133
- 120gb WD green ssd
- win98se

Also got out my MU2000 which I had sitting in a box for years, and it sounds glorious. I think it will sound even better if I can set it in GS mode instead of GM.

Attachments

• DSC_0032-2786x4953.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0032-2786x4953.JPG
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license