VOGONS

Reply 8360 of 27172, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

ECO button is for sleep / stand-by mode (if supported by the mainboard).

Ahaaa ,like henryVK, I thought it was something like a turbo button but if I remember correctly, the MMX didn't have turbo functions?
Anyway, thanks for the info! Will test it out since that button is connected to the mainboard.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 8361 of 27172, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Burning my fingers badly after stupidly touching the heatsink of my Athlon 1.4ghz with the fan mysteriously stopped. Goodbye fingerprints on those fingers.

It was set up so I could test a bunch of SDR PC100 and PC133 RAM I had lying around, and somehow the cpu didn't burst into flames after hours of running without a working fan, in fact, it still works!

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 8362 of 27172, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tpowell.ca wrote:

Burning my fingers badly after stupidly touching the heatsink of my Athlon 1.4ghz with the fan mysteriously stopped. Goodbye fingerprints on those fingers.

It was set up so I could test a bunch of SDR PC100 and PC133 RAM I had lying around, and somehow the cpu didn't burst into flames after hours of running without a working fan, in fact, it still works!

You know you just jinxed that, right?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8363 of 27172, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
tpowell.ca wrote:

You know you just jinxed that, right?

Dammit! You're right. 😢

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 8364 of 27172, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dude. That is a cool case.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 8365 of 27172, by AdrenalinCDA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right now I'm just playing some Unreal Tournament. I've installed the Console Bonus Pack which adds some conversions of PS2-exclusive maps. Some of them are pretty good. DM-NeoTokyo is a nice small DM map. I also can listen to some tracker tunes now that I put my folder on my Windows 98 PC. I was working on a mod for Shogo on the side, but I'm taking a break. I'm a bit burnt out on it.

Not PC related but I got Dead or Alive 2 (Japanese version) for the Dreamcast. So that's nice. I also hastily edited a wallpaper for the desktop based on the render used on the cover, because might as well.

desktop800.png

EDIT: Oh yeah, a while back I also attempted to see if I can use VDMSound to run DOS games with the Yamaha softsynth and Sound Blaster emulation. I was able to get MIDI to work fine (and it sounds good!) but I can never get Sound Blaster to work. A shame too, I would love to have a way to use softsynths with DOS games while keeping the rest of the sound intact.

Reply 8366 of 27172, by indomitus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's 22:05 and a neighbor rings the bell. I greet him and he says: here I bring you an antique, I know that you like these old things; maybe you'll find something useful inside. I dismiss him and place this cabinet on the table and the first thing I think: this must be published in VOGONS. I do not know if it works, I see that it lacks the memory modules, it comes with a boot floppy. Tomorrow I will try to recover the monitor and the keyboard if they have not been thrown away.

Attachments

Reply 8368 of 27172, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
indomitus wrote:

It's 22:05 and a neighbor rings the bell. I greet him and he says: here I bring you an antique, I know that you like these old things; maybe you'll find something useful inside. I dismiss him and place this cabinet on the table and the first thing I think: this must be published in VOGONS. I do not know if it works, I see that it lacks the memory modules, it comes with a boot floppy. Tomorrow I will try to recover the monitor and the keyboard if they have not been thrown away.

Now that is a spectacular system. I've never seen proprietary connections like that (not the ISA slots, the other one. I grew up with ISA/VLB, PCI, AGP, PCI-X, and PCIe expansions) a day in my life.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 8369 of 27172, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, not much, but I did find my 486's doppleganger - well, the case at least, 🤣. Suncheer/Songcheer XT Clone that was on e-bay awhile back, can't find the auction, but the picture is on google image search. Also found Suncheer International had a PATENT in the US for a modular AT/XT/LPX Chassis from 1994 that has since expired - hmmmm......

Case on Canadian E-bay (Canada always gets such cool stuff)
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnmX30F4mhp1_Gi4RaB-oPwIgPDR8vJHKptRHQIMwz_v4_rJS4

attachment.php?attachmentid=44251&d=1520951066

Back in 2004 when I first started putting this beast together....it's Ebay auction picture!
attachment.php?attachmentid=36872&d=1489133737

I guess I will eventually find more cool chassis like the ones I lost years ago.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 8370 of 27172, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
creepingnet wrote:
Well, not much, but I did find my 486's doppleganger - well, the case at least, LOL. Suncheer/Songcheer XT Clone that was on e- […]
Show full quote

Well, not much, but I did find my 486's doppleganger - well, the case at least, 🤣. Suncheer/Songcheer XT Clone that was on e-bay awhile back, can't find the auction, but the picture is on google image search. Also found Suncheer International had a PATENT in the US for a modular AT/XT/LPX Chassis from 1994 that has since expired - hmmmm......
attachment.php?attachmentid=36872&d=1489133737

I guess I will eventually find more cool chassis like the ones I lost years ago.

If I had a case like that, I would do my best to only use two upper drive slots. It does look cool, though!

Reply 8371 of 27172, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished the composite video-out mod for my Atari 2600 among some other things. Replaced some caps, too. I made it in a way that still allows using RF out. Also, the connection to the RCA jacks is pluggable. Quite pleased with the result. 😀

IMG_20180322_100915568.jpg
IMG_20180322_100927518.jpg

Reply 8372 of 27172, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrapping up a deep clean of a TRS-80 Coco 1. Unfortunately it sat in a humid garage in Florida for decades and not everything is functioning great. It does live though. Getting a very dirty video signal from the RCA out so will be adjusting the pots tomorrow and see if I can clean it up. Also had an IC pin snap off from where a wire had been soldered on which looks like to me a mod was done at some point. Did a quick and dirty job soldering it back on, but going to need to completely rewire that eventually. Also, possible cap issues because each time I turn the thing on some keys will not register on every press and it changes each time you turn it on. Disassembled and cleaned the keyboard thoroughly and made sure all contacts were cleaned. Did manage to get a game of chess going from a chess game cart after cleaning its heavily oxidized contacts so it does work after four days of tearing it apart and cleaning everything.

cocomaybe.jpg
Filename
cocomaybe.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
mobo.jpg
Filename
mobo.jpg
File size
181.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8373 of 27172, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Getting some stuff ready for the re-do of my Pentium 233 MMX build. Currently a Dell XPS machine with a few changes, I've been wanting to rebuild it (not reusing any of the original components that were from the Dell XPS) in a baby AT case I have sitting around collecting dust.

Getting the LED display ready. Kind of a crummy setup to power the LED display, but it worked. 😜
boCGQq6m.jpg

Also fixed up a few of the front panel connections that I had previously done in a super ghetto way with electrical tape ( 😲 ). This time done properly with heatshrink over the connections (the red and green on the left/right only, the middle wires were there originally).
twu6whnm.jpg

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 8375 of 27172, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ A PCI Tseng Labs ET6100 video card with an ESS sound chipset built into it? interesting... Wait, is that a PowerVR chip too?!? What an interesting combination.

Reply 8376 of 27172, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

^^ A PCI Tseng Labs ET6100 video card with an ESS sound chipset built into it? interesting... Wait, is that a PowerVR chip too?!? What an interesting combination.

Videologic Apocalypse 5D Sonic!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8377 of 27172, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
Testing out this bad boy I finally sold! […]
Show full quote

Testing out this bad boy I finally sold!

CrUlOm.jpg

I have one of those exact same CF IDE adapters and among a bunch of others that is the one adapter none of my computers would post with.. Is there a trick to getting it to work?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8378 of 27172, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got the 60GB SSD working in my Sony Vaio VGN-UX280P. Turns out the SSD pin 1 for the cable was on the opposite side of where it was on the original HDD.

I thought maybe the SSD I bought was dead, but I am glad I was wrong.

So the SSD had to be mounted upside down and at an angle so it wouldn't pull the ZIF cable out.

Then I installed XP and the drivers for it. Updating XP now.

Then I just have to install some of the original apps if I decide I want them on there.

After that I am planning on testing it out with DOSBOX to see how it fares.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK