VOGONS

Reply 7480 of 27170, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this AT keyboard to go with my 486 build(sadly it will not be a model m, but it should be silent)
uEf13kCm.jpg

So i disassembled the whole keyboard and all the plastic parts went to the laundry room with me so i can clean them pretty good.
Hopefully tomorow will be a sunny day so i can retr0bright the hell out of this badly yellowed keybard.
I think that it will require at least 8 hours of direct sun with peroxide to remove this yellowing.
4ixGyHim.jpg

Reply 7481 of 27170, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
.legaCy wrote:
I got this AT keyboard to go with my 486 build(sadly it will not be a model m, but it should be silent) https://i.imgur.com/uEf1 […]
Show full quote

I got this AT keyboard to go with my 486 build(sadly it will not be a model m, but it should be silent)
uEf13kCm.jpg

So i disassembled the whole keyboard and all the plastic parts went to the laundry room with me so i can clean them pretty good.
Hopefully tomorow will be a sunny day so i can retr0bright the hell out of this badly yellowed keybard.
I think that it will require at least 8 hours of direct sun with peroxide to remove this yellowing.
4ixGyHim.jpg

That's a lot of yellowing. Someone must've smoked by the keyboard or too much UV rays.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7482 of 27170, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:

Started putting this together today. Saw this M-ATX Cheiftec case on ebay and it looked perfect for the build i wanted to put together. It really is a compact case.

I love that case! Small is good, and it'll look meaner still with that CD changer in it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7483 of 27170, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anaxagoras wrote:

this computer is only 14 years old, is not time yet. 😢

Au contraire, it is the perfect time, for a great many motherboard made in the early 2000s have the capacitor plague. I have an ASUS board in the basement full of dead capacitors, but as I have zero use for a Pentium 4 system, I'd sooner take it to the range and feed it to my AR-15 than bother replacing the caps.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 7484 of 27170, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hell, I have a late Intel 775 board here that needs some new caps. So it can happen to all computers, at any time. 98-02 is like the dark ages. I just replace those as a matter of course.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7485 of 27170, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
.legaCy wrote:
I got this AT keyboard to go with my 486 build(sadly it will not be a model m, but it should be silent) https://i.imgur.com/uEf1 […]
Show full quote

uEf13kCm.jpg

4ixGyHim.jpg

That's a lot of yellowing. Someone must've smoked by the keyboard or too much UV rays.

Well, this is the most yellowed piece of plastic that i ever touched, the num/caps/scroll lock is almost browned, the inside was covered in a thin black layer of dust too, i also gave the rubber mat a good wash, and the scuffs went out with a good scrubbing with sapolio radium(a kind of creamy soap that is slight abrasive that is sold in my country)

UPDATE: Heat + peroxyde is a really dangerous treatment, the plastic case got all bent up and i lost this keyboard.
Oh well, looking on the bright side, it wasn't one ibm model m.

Last edited by .legaCy on 2017-12-08, 16:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7486 of 27170, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found one of these in a drawer! Must've come with some old CRT. Now I can use my Performa on my LCD instead of a CRT taking up valuable desk space.

Attachments

• 20171208_100150.jpg
    Filename
    20171208_100150.jpg
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7487 of 27170, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Found one of these in a drawer! Must've come with some old CRT. Now I can use my Performa on my LCD instead of a CRT taking up valuable desk space.

Interesting part.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7488 of 27170, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Interesting part.

It's required because Apple monitors communicate their capabilities in a specific way - so even if you have a DB-15 to VGA adapter, it won't necessarily work unless it properly communicates to the machine the desired screen resolution options.

Reply 7490 of 27170, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LHN91 wrote:

It's required because Apple monitors communicate their capabilities in a specific way - so even if you have a DB-15 to VGA adapter, it won't necessarily work unless it properly communicates to the machine the desired screen resolution options.

Well, Apple used ID pins which are either connected or not by the monitor. Based on which ID pins are connected, the Mac knows which resolution the monitor supports. That's it. Those adapters will just fake 640x480, which almost always work. There are a few Macs however that can't output 640x480. On these, the adapter will not work.

Better adapters have a set of dip switches so you can also configure 800x600, 1024x768, etc.

Reply 7492 of 27170, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:

Fitted my Panasonic CD Changer to my SS7 machine today. Hardware wise it is now complete. Just need to get down to Installing software and setting it up.

Wow, I had NO IDEA they made 5-disc changers for computers. I imagine that must have a lot of quirks under normal usage, like trying to get a game to read disk 3 specifically.

As for my retro activity today. I bought a pile of old graphics cards on Mercari the other day for $16 shipped because there were some decent entry-level PCI-E cards in the lot, along with a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI. I knew the V3 needed at least one cap replaced (they snap off easily), so I was ready to do some soldering when it arrived. I got the card, cleaned it up, plucked off two of the other caps on the edge that were falling off, replaced them with ones I had on hand from repairing a Voodoo 2 last year (3dfx\STB seem to use the same caps on a lot of cards), and the card is working beautifully. PCI V3 cards are getting harder to find, so I was quite pleased.

As a small bonus, the one AGP card in the lot I couldn't identify turned out to be a Diamond Stealth III S540 Extreme... which is an S3 Savage 4 Extreme 32MB AGP card. Should be a really nice card, and it does seem to work. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7493 of 27170, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:
Fitted my Panasonic CD Changer to my SS7 machine today. Hardware wise it is now complete. Just need to get down to Installing so […]
Show full quote

Fitted my Panasonic CD Changer to my SS7 machine today. Hardware wise it is now complete. Just need to get down to Installing software and setting it up.

ivfwIixl.jpg

Looks great. Now you just need that Computer King case badge that probnot got with his case.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Reply 7494 of 27170, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:
Fitted my Panasonic CD Changer to my SS7 machine today. Hardware wise it is now complete. Just need to get down to Installing so […]
Show full quote

ivfwIixl.jpg

Very nice case!

Reply 7495 of 27170, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote:

This is a really nice case! Any pics of the inside?

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 7496 of 27170, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again.
Today I have started to do an inventory.
There are not much to count; a few boxes with cards from ISA, PCI, AGP graphics card, some controllers cards, IDE devices, CPU, RAM modules, cables, adapters...
I think that I can build a mutant PC. 😁

My computers

qp92nk-6.png

Reply 7497 of 27170, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

whipped this up

Attachments

• 16kq1xw.jpg
    Filename
    16kq1xw.jpg
    File size
    328.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7498 of 27170, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

whipped this up

No doubt populating those memory sockets made all the difference. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7499 of 27170, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Upgraded my P3 Slot 1 PC from a Lucky Star 6P2BX2 and Katmai 450 to an aBIT 6BE-II and Coppermine 700.

It was not as hasslefree as I would hope however as for whatever reason Win Me cant seem to initialize the PS2 port, MX300s SB Pro emulation driver cant find a free IRQ and its very picky about memory.

A reinatall od the OS is dur but I also have a Ga-BX2000 Rev 1.1 in the mail so maybe I should just wait and use that..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.