IMAG0322.JPG
Filename
IMAG0322.JPG
File size
415.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Spent a lot of the day having a total reorg of my computer area. It's amazing what you forget what you have. Rediscovered a whole host of hardware and software. Even found my soldering iron.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11981 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installing Win2000 on my daughters Thinkpad R52, because it is not Win98 compatible and she WILL play Doom, then I need to install Dosbox on it. There are not many games that she likes. Only Minecraft, Goat simulator and Doom. (Don't worry, she will rather paint or jump on a trampolin, than play computer games)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11982 of 27364, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Upgraded the CPU in my Thinkpad 600E to a Pentium III Coppermine 600 MHz!

I had to disable the L2 cache in the BIOS, however - and use SETMUL to re-enable it in software after the fact, which worked.

MB doesn't support SpeedStep, though, so it runs at 500 MHz instead of the full 600. But that's OK - because now it can play HD MPEG video smoothly. That's what I'm talking about.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 11983 of 27364, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So after finding that Canopus Pure3D II Voodoo II 3Dfx card in a pile of PCI cards Luckybob informed me a proprietary VGA pass-through cable was still needed to complete the kit. They are pretty much nowhere to be found online that I could see. So I went back to where I found the card hoping to find it. After an hour of searching, success! I was hoping some of you could help me identify a very similar cable I also found next to it. The cable on the right in the first photo is for the Canopus Pure3D II card, but the one on the left has an extra pin. Any ideas what this might go to? Both have a male VGA connector at the other end which the second photo shows. Thanks for any help.

IMG_4018.JPG
Filename
IMG_4018.JPG
File size
310.77 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_4019.JPG
Filename
IMG_4019.JPG
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 11984 of 27364, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The pin arrangement on the bottom row isn't the same, so be careful not to plug the wrong one into the wrong card. Beyond this, while I have many MPEG cards, I have never had the pass-through cables needed to use them, nor felt inclined to construct them myself, in spite of my useless electronic engineering degree.

At long last, I got a CF to PATA adapter board in the mail, so now at some point, I can open up my 486, install DOS on the 2GB card, then copy the rest of the HDD's files over to it. That is, IF the system will play ball with such an adapter.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 11985 of 27364, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes it appears the 10-pin connector could really be for anything. Just glad I found the 9-pin Canopus cable. Even though this site specifies the female version it at least narrows it down for me that the 10-pin cable is more than likely not for a 3Dfx card.

https://connector.pinouts.ru/10_pin_mini-din_female/

Reply 11987 of 27364, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just installed an ASUS WL-138G V2 WLAN PCI card in my Power Mac G4 MDD to enable connection to my WPA2 protected wireless network.
I did some research prior to buying as I already knew that most OS X 10.5.8 PPC compatible adapters don't offer WPA2 encryption which is crucial nowadays so I ended up opting for the ASUS card. Works perfectly without driver installation.

Last edited by blurks on 2019-06-02, 21:58. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 11988 of 27364, by JoKo12PL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some preparations before assembling a Slot 1 system. Took my old Asus P2B that hasn't seen power since like 3 years and powered it on for testing. Fitted a Katmai 500Mhz and an old HDD (that conveniently had a Win3.11 install with a proper video driver 😎 )
Just need to buy a case and put it together, it will be a Celeron Covington 300Mhz for now, then i will buy a nice Pentium 2 for it 😊
tMBoyGc.jpg
5EYFooN.jpg
Sorry for the poor photo quality, i was quite excited to see it working 🤣

Reply 11989 of 27364, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JoKo12PL wrote:

Some preparations before assembling a Slot 1 system. Took my old Asus P2B that hasn't seen power since like 3 years and powered it on for testing. Fitted a Katmai 500Mhz and an old HDD (that conveniently had a Win3.11 install with a proper video driver 😎 )
Just need to buy a case and put it together, it will be a Celeron Covington 300Mhz for now, then i will buy a nice Pentium 2 for it 😊

Wow! How can someone possibly run a computer without the components in a case? 😜 That's neat, I guess...

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 11990 of 27364, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JonathonWyble wrote:
JoKo12PL wrote:

Wow! How can someone possibly run a computer without the components in a case? 😜 That's neat, I guess...

Oh, my sweet innocent summer child...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11991 of 27364, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wait until he hears that you can start a computer with a screwdriver instead of a power button.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 11992 of 27364, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:
JoKo12PL wrote:

Oh, my sweet innocent summer child...

Actually, I might have known that you can do that kind of stuff. I was just amazed that what he did was a success.

Mister Xiado wrote:

Wait until he hears that you can start a computer with a screwdriver instead of a power button.

I knew you can do that. I've just never done it before, start a PC with a screwdriver.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 11993 of 27364, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

onXfN54m.png

Ran Internet Explorer 3.03 installer on my primary desktop. Screenshotted it, turned the gradient into a wallpaper. The following is the gradient recreated in all colors with Photoshop.

nFWGMtom.png

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 11994 of 27364, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JonathonWyble wrote:

I knew you can do that. I've just never done it before, start a PC with a screwdriver.

Back in 2004/2005 I ran my own web-server out of my bedroom on my 1.5mbit cable broadband connection. It ran like this for years on an AMD k6-2/450:

5zrnU8Nm.jpg

Literally screwed to the wall, with other boards that were broken no less.

Last edited by luckybob on 2019-06-03, 02:36. Edited 1 time in total.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11996 of 27364, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Went through a box of cards I noticed the other day when cleaning up.

Had a bunch of sound cards and video cards including:
Opti/qdsp wavetable Isa sound card
CT2230 sb16

Tseng ET4000 vlb video card - thought I had one of these but couldn't find it last week.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11997 of 27364, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JoKo12PL wrote:

I have a spare Klamath 300MHz, but as I see the cheapest shipping option costs 20€ and that's absolutely unreasonable 😢 .

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 11998 of 27364, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got my 8-bit XT-IDE card today. Will start a new thread on the fitment to my XT clone showing how I get on. Got a 2.1gig BigFoot drive to install in it. Stay tuned...

xtide.JPG
Filename
xtide.JPG
File size
627.79 KiB
Views
File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11999 of 27364, by JoKo12PL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote:
JoKo12PL wrote:

I have a spare Klamath 300MHz, but as I see the cheapest shipping option costs 20€ and that's absolutely unreasonable 😢 .

No worries, i already found a good candidate, a 266Mhz Klamath, perfect for Win95B that i will be installing on it 😀