VOGONS

Reply 12180 of 27411, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an ATX power supply and AT converter harness, and...

8WsQHc7l.jpg

YTl8neKl.jpg

(Optimus SA, Poland REPRESENT!)

j0PNy2Yl.jpg

My next video will be about how to convert an AT on-off push style switch into an ATX compatible momentary switch. About time I made a new video, vacations be damned.

NFbfSfml.jpg

LIFTOFF!

Takes both 30 pin and 72 pin, VLB video card and motherboard works, pleasant surprise (I was 90% sure motherboard would work, 25% video card would)

850 Mb drive is formatting now, just need to source a VLB I/O card, as for now it's using an (Optimus S.A. stamped) 16 bit I/O controller.

This is all after my other retro activity, repainting the door frames and drip rails on my 87 Hyundai. 3 hours to mask, 15 mins to paint. Great!

Last edited by Jed118 on 2019-06-29, 05:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 12181 of 27411, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

There you go 😀
https://imgur.com/a/7IHWZJu

With all that effort, why not shoot some eggshell paint at it?

Reply 12182 of 27411, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Overclocking my 2x256mb DDR memory kit in my socket 478 machines. These no name hynix chips have treated me really well so far. I have got them stable at 500mhz with CAS 2.5 timings. Currently working down the sub timings and various memory latency sub options to minimize latency.

Even though all of my modern machines are orders of magnitude faster in just about every way, it is still quite satisfying to squeeze out just every drop of performance from my retro machines 🤣 Next on my agenda... see if I can undervolt this hot northwood processor to tame the heat!

Reply 12183 of 27411, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bit of old fashion trolling. Man it feels goood.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12184 of 27411, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

Bit of old fashion trolling. Man it feels goood.

Arguing that glass is an amorphous solid with viscosity higher than that of pitch, using photos of antique glass as evidence? That was always a good troll, before the term was redefined to mean "someone disagreed with me in some way".

I'm just messing around with a few more icons, for lack of anything else to do.

20190629 working.png
Filename
20190629 working.png
File size
51.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12185 of 27411, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made some back plate turbo switches and they work great.
I just drilled a hole in these back plate covers and attached the switches.
Later I modified some case power switch wires and screwed them into the turbo switch.
I finished them off with a little solder so they would not come loose.
You can buy these switches and case power switch wires from eBay.
Cost about $1 each to make if you purchase lots of 10
With the Turbo switch enabled I can cut my CPU speed in half.
So 133mhz becomes 66mhz.
And with "Setmul" utility you can reduce that even more. Disabling CPU L1 cache will reduce a 5x86-133mhz CPU to a 386sx-25mhz.
This is great for playing old DOS games that require a slow CPU like "Wing Commander 1"

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-06-30, 19:47. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 12186 of 27411, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to install PC DOS 6.1 (with compression) onto my new 486 build.

y477pYdh.jpg

In the past, I have tried these disks with 386 machines, and they gave me an error that it requires an 80486 CPU to continue setup.

So, this time I have a 486 CPU and it gives me this error:

J2X32qVl.jpg

I'm installing DOS though, why would it be making prerequisites for Windows? I think I got these diskettes in the mid 90s, and actually now, I am not entirely sure if I've ever installed them on a PC of any kind.

What the hell kind of computer are these diskettes for? I'm running low on diskettes, I'm considering formatting these and using them for unlabelled purposes.

(or, how do I hack the .ini file to make it work here?)

Reply 12187 of 27411, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just put the disks in a system that has a 3.5" drive and see whats on them in Dos or any other OS. Dos 6.1 installs on any x86 arch. from 8086 up. https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss … quest_locale=en You can recreate the disks as PC Dos 6.1 by downloading the images from winworldpc.com and creating the disks using RawWrite for windows. 3.5" disks are readily available at Amazon.

Reply 12188 of 27411, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fantastic.

Let's up the ante - I'll send you these diskettes, originals, without me making any backup copies, and you film a video of yourself installing the OS onto a computer. Hell, I'll even host it on my extremely popular channel.

PM me, let's get something going.

Reply 12189 of 27411, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you actually read my post? You have problem. I provided a very simple solution. It's pretty damn obvious at least disk 1 has been altered. You'll most like find if you veiw it in any old file manger you may find a readme.txt or similar telling you what the altered disk/s are for. The text file I posted shows the IBM Dos 6.1 can be installed on 8086s up. If you bother to read it shows there were some nice features on that version of Dos. Around that time IBM and MS parted ways as far as Dos goes with MS theoretically(marketing wise anyway) dropping Dos when Win95. IBM provided PC Dos right up to 2000 and all PC Dos versions ran on 8086s up.

To quote IBM:

Hardware Requirements: PC DOS 2000 operates on Intel (TM)-based or Intel-compatible PCs (808x, 286, 386, 486, and Pentium (TM) processors). The minimum system memory required for PC DOS 2000 installation is 512 KB. Check with the hardware manufacturer to determine if your hardware is Year 2000 ready.

PC Dos 2000 when loaded took just amount of conventional memory as PC Dos 3.3 did.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-06-30, 06:53. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 12191 of 27411, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:
It was a nice day, so I cut a hole in my Voodoo 5 Shuttle case to add a mesh window, added a handle, and painted it. […]
Show full quote

It was a nice day, so I cut a hole in my Voodoo 5 Shuttle case to add a mesh window, added a handle, and painted it.

djlpm35h.jpg

This is a work of art. Have you done a build showcase for this anywhere? I would love to know more about it.

Reply 12192 of 27411, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jed118 wrote:

🤣 how can I do that on a fresh system install?

Now you are being silly. To repeat the above:

Did you actually read my post?
You have problem. I provided a very simple solution. It's pretty damn obvious at least disk 1 has been altered. You'll most like find if you veiw it in any old file manger you may find a readme.txt or similar telling you what the altered disk/s are for. The text file I posted shows the IBM Dos 6.1 can be installed on 8086s up. If you bother to read it shows there were some nice features on that version of Dos. Around that time IBM and MS parted ways as for as Dos goes with MS theoretically(marketing wise anyway) dropping Dos when Win95. IBM provided PC Dos right up to 2000 and all PC Dos versions ran on 8086s up.

To quote IBM:

Hardware Requirements: PC DOS 2000 operates on Intel (TM)-based or Intel-compatible PCs (808x, 286, 386, 486, and Pentium (TM) processors). The minimum system memory required for PC DOS 2000 installation is 512 KB. Check with the hardware manufacturer to determine if your hardware is Year 2000 ready.

PC Dos 2000 when loaded took just amount of conventional memory as PC Dos 3.3 did.

Reply 12193 of 27411, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
20190630_185658[1].jpg
Filename
20190630_185658[1].jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license

Just getting some files off my old OS/2 v4 install. Looks pretty funky in 640 x 480 16 colour mode on my 17" LCD. Oh look! A file manager.

Reply 12195 of 27411, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSPhone.

Can someone please make a smartphone that only has DOS and not Android or iOS?

Yesterday, my brother and I went to a salvage yard in my city to get replacement headlamp assemblies for my dad's car as the headlamps on there were hazy and the right turn signal stopped working (electrical issue). I found a pair of them in perfect shape at the salvage yard, and $53.99 later, I installed them in my dad's car (fixed the right headlight low beam area as the cover that goes over the headlight was loose and I eventually got it on with a pair of needle nose pliers with little to no wiggle room and my screwdriver with an extension (ratchet socket set)). The bulbs that are in there work without issues and he now has a right turn signal (I had to use my arm as a turn signal for a long time) and my dad was happy to have better headlights for his car.

I also did some headlight restoration today on my mom's 2007 Chevy Uplander as they were a bit hazy on top, but, looked good at the bottom and did the same thing with my 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue's tail lamp assemblies and 3rd brake light as they were a teeny tiny bit hazy and they look like new. My headlamp assemblies are original and they aren't even yellowed or hazy.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12196 of 27411, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried to repair a Chicony/AEI TK-8498F Socket 3 motherboard.

Sadly had no success - installed some Paradigm PDM41256 cache chips (9 of them total) (though, is it a requirement to use UMC chips? Just want to know so I can track down some chips if needed) and replaced a few capacitors that were probably dry since god knows how long ago, but I am getting no POST nor any beeps.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 12197 of 27411, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
wiretap wrote:
It was a nice day, so I cut a hole in my Voodoo 5 Shuttle case to add a mesh window, added a handle, and painted it. […]
Show full quote

It was a nice day, so I cut a hole in my Voodoo 5 Shuttle case to add a mesh window, added a handle, and painted it.

djlpm35h.jpg

This is a work of art. Have you done a build showcase for this anywhere? I would love to know more about it.

I have a mini-log here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/3df … -shuttle.11044/

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 12198 of 27411, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Investigated making OS/2 icons, but at that rate, I may as well go back to making skins for Nintendo DS flash cards for all the good it would do. That, or paint the underside of public trash cans.
Pulled the clock capacitor from a 1.0 Xbox, drastically underlining my need for a desoldering gun to do this kind of work. I spent almost 20 minutes trying to wick the solder out of the through-hole before giving up.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12199 of 27411, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been cycling my stored socket 754 kit thru some visual inspections and benchmark runs just to check for signs of degradation - thankfully nothing obvious so back to storage.

S754Boards.jpg
Filename
S754Boards.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license

ASRock K8N68PV-GLAN (Nvidia 7050/630A), Abit KV-85 V2.0 (VIA K8M800 ), Foxconn 760GXK8MC (SiS 760GX/964 )

Biostar iDEQ N1.jpg
Filename
Biostar iDEQ N1.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license

Biostar iDEQ N1 sff (NVIDIA 6100/410)

S754CPUs.jpg
Filename
S754CPUs.jpg