VOGONS

Reply 7940 of 27168, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are 2 fans in that plastic shroud, one blows air directly on the drives. Temps aren't an issue.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7941 of 27168, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yay, after messing around for days to get a CF card with FAT16 and DOS active and bootable without access to floppy disks or emulation, it worked - and then it was plain sailing getting my 486DX-33 doing what I wanted. Installed an ISA sound card (Aztech Sound Galaxy 16 II), dug up the drivers on the site here and was playing Tyrian and DoomII in no time flat. Only hurdle was no sound at first, despite all settings being verified. Turns out my speaker has an on/off switch... 😜

Reply 7942 of 27168, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just trying to clean up my work area and organize everything so I actually have some room to work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7943 of 27168, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seemed to have broken my Abit BX6 or the PII-333 on it as I've been messing around with capturing various old graphics cards and now it's stopped booting. Even the soft power off isn't working so I think it's toast 🙁

Also discovering how on earlier than around year 2000 (pre-widescreen really) graphics cards (still PCI era though) the video modes are often a bit funky. CRTs were a lot more forgiving than HDMI capture devices and LCD panels!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 7944 of 27168, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh and burnt my finger on an Athlon 1900XP (forgot how hot they get!) and then proceeded to stick my knuckle into a spinning fan for some reason... 😀

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 7945 of 27168, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

B<snip>

So procured an even older system, a Tualeron 1400 that definitely could run Win98SE. But couldn't boot from USB, and all (both) my optical drives are either SATA or USB. Todo: get PATA DVD drive. But worked around issue by grabbing an Atom 330 mITX board that could boot from my USB CDRom drive. Win98 install failed almost instantly as it didn't recognise the USB CDRom, but I had DOS and ebd.cab, so extracted sys.com and got io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com onto the CF. Then booted into WinXP, copied the rest of the installation files from CD onto CF and installed windows on the CF.

End result: I now have a working Win98SE install on Tualeron 1400. This evening I'll see about getting my smaller CF card into a shape that the 486 BIOS and I/O controller find bootable...

I have a similar system just for stuff like this. I tried to do thing like this on a Windows 10 system with a USB floppy drive, but just too many frustrations in the end. Windows 98SE is really snappy on it!

1982 to 2001

Reply 7946 of 27168, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SteveC wrote:

Oh and burnt my finger on an Athlon 1900XP (forgot how hot they get!) and then proceeded to stick my knuckle into a spinning fan for some reason... 😀

Haha, made that mistake a few days ago, too. I had a full-copper heatsink on it which got just so unbelievably hot... Well, leason learned. 🤣

Reply 7947 of 27168, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beginning to hear down and consolidate the number of fully built running machines in my retro area so I have more room to work on projects while still keeping a few running to allow me to play anything I want to. Going from 13 down to 5 running machines. Static bagging and boxing up the rest for storage

PSUs are gonna be the biggest issues to get put away due to their bulk

Reply 7948 of 27168, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SteveC wrote:

Made that mistake in 2005, still carry a mark on my finger. It's like a brand!

Reply 7949 of 27168, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before:

bhJHFHyh.jpg
q9HWyeFh.jpg
I have diseases now.

After
Kz0XvbKh.jpg
eLWVFR0h.jpg
FOxg0q6h.jpg
The plastic sheet (no idea on the proper name) inside had the ACER logo on it...

I don't have a keyboard to test it on, so I'm waiting for my PS/2 adapter before I can try it.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 7951 of 27168, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I received a Gainward GeForce 4 TI4800SE card.

I replaced the cooler with a passive one from Zalman and afterwards, I overclocked the card from 275/550 to 330/690 timings.

This thing is a beast. Now I can finally play my old games with antialiasing.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 7953 of 27168, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did a whole hell of a lot. After rebuilding my 256K cache DLC board (V 2.0) with a proper IC socket, I was then able to test all the random hardware I had amassed for it (including a $10 ZIP100 SCSI drive I had shipped to me on Kijiji, $2 Syquest 88Mb SCSI drive and media x2, and the SCSI CDROM out of a Compaq server) since summer of last year.

Everything worked!!

0Swgt1Al.jpg

hQnLCwwl.jpg

LOOK AT ALL MY SCSI STUFF!!

r5oXyOSl.jpg

I've also ordered an SCSI2SD adapter, sourced from the sales of some eBay things. Before that arrives, I decided that I should also replace the 850MB barracuda IDE with a CF solution (which was hit or miss with me, as a few would know from recent implementations) and since I had a GOTEK lying around, I decided, hell, let's make this system moving-bits free.

Only problem is... There's no room here for a GOTEK.

UHc0bfol.jpg

But then, suddenly, a dremel, file, and some sandpaper made short work of the lack of space:

f5BC52Fl.jpg

I also took the liberty of removing the offensive Intel Inside sticker (this is a Cyrix system) and generally cleaning it up a bit.

FysXrF7l.jpg

When I remove the front panel for a proper retrobrighting, I'll file the line smooth.

The plan is, after I have the SCSI2SD and the IDE-CF adapter hooked up, to start a backup of all my media to digital. Looks like I sort of started to do this 10 years ago, as I was installing Lotus 1-2-3 and it failed on the LAST DISKETTE, but it turns out I had made a CD image of the diskettes. Anyways, I want to catalog and back up all my wares correctly, and this seems like the perfect, as it were, multimedia platform from which to do it on.

I should also upgrade the PS to ATX. Actually, I have the means....

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 7954 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow. That's an amazing rig you got there.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7955 of 27168, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Wow. That's an amazing rig you got there.

I was just telling my wife how I found it, as she watched me (loosely, no wife watches a mid 30s man reassemble a decrepit machine with too much interest) put it together so as to clean the kitchen table of its presence.

It was about 20 years ago that I was dropping off my then GF to her house, and about a block away from her street I sighted it. These days, I would just unabashedly pull over and acquire it. Then though, I was 18, and could not do such a thing. Fortunately after my spirited driving and a very quick (mobile) goodnight kiss and a california-stop at her house, I smelled the ceramic smell of burnt clutch back and thankfully found it there.

This, as far as I know, is the original power supply that was installed when I found it that night on the side of the road. There was some sort of Intel 386 in the guts of it, which even then I managed to sell off on eBay (this was circa 2001) but the soul remains pure: What I ever wanted out of a 386. Now it is 2018, and this masterful (in need of retrobrighting) assemblage of quarter-century tech is quite alive. I relish it. I adore it. It is a time piece to what I had, and what I wish I had.

And also quite apparently, what I have now.

This is why I have chosen this particular one to be my gateway, my cyborg, into the new wave of portable digital media. Basically taking 1992 and running with it. Or at least extending the platform well beyond what it should have been.

If you enjoyed this, then you shroud see what i do in the modern era with carburetted cars!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 7957 of 27168, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today...I (again) spent hours to get a Soundcard running in my 286. I tried 4 differnt SBs that were all OK in other computers. But in the 286 the cards were detected without problems but I heard only noise with music in the background and very low volume at all. Checked also cable and amplifier, all running OK in other Computer.

Exchanged all other cards. Last one was the EGA. I plugged in a VGA...and noticed that the brightness on the LCD was also very low......what t f?? There must be a more general problem.

Checked all connections....it was the plug of the PSU on the Mainboard. It was loose. Plugged in again and all problems disappeared. Aaaahhhrrrggggg....

Reply 7958 of 27168, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Going to fix this little bugger today from battery leakage. No idea if it's worth the effort, cheap PC Chips M321 mainboard...

Are you going to replace those ISA slots or just clean them? I pulled an 8 bit section off a spare 386 board when I had to do some cleaning of my 486.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 7959 of 27168, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know yet. I just removed all socketed parts, jumpers, etc. and looked at the damage. It's not as worse as I first thought. Only the KBC socket and the two ISA slots are affected, everything else is fine. I've now put the whole board into a vinegar solution to neutralize the remains of the leakage. After that, I'll decide if replacing the affected parts is needed or if they are fine after cleaning.