VOGONS

Reply 6981 of 27168, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Does anyone know if Athlon MP's require a good 5V rail?

I'm having trouble powering up a Tyan Thunder K7 S2462; it has a ATX12V 24pin connector and an 8pin CPU connector. The board (aside from dust) looks in good condition on initial inspection. I'm using a new Corsair CX750M (20A 3.3V/5V). The fans don't even spin up. I can try my other PSU's, but the older ones only seem to have a 4pin aux connector.

Hmmm, I'd say 70W per CPU and 20% overhead to be safe.... and you've got 100W so if you can try it single CPU, it might fire up then.

Uses a different pinout... ATX-GES.

I would need to buy a EPS12V to ATX-GES adapter. But I can't find one under $20. I guess they are rare because it is quite short lived. Only earlier Athlon-MP boards used them. Later Athlon MP boards switched to EPS12V.

Reply 6982 of 27168, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Eighteen or more years ago I bought an AOpen AP59S board to upgrade my dad's socket 7 board. It wasn't in there long because I kept upgrading his computer, but I used it as a spare. In 2004, with an inverter, I ran it in my car to do some wireless testing and I fried it when I turned on the engine with the power on the PC.

So today I use a loupe to look for anything burned out and find nothing. I tested some SMT capacitors near the power connector and everything checked out. I change the dead battery, put in a stick of RAM, and decide to power it up to test some voltages. And the damn thing POSTs for the first time in 13 years.

It's a bit finnicky with the RAM, so I'm running memtest right now. But it's alive and there's hope on fixing anything that's wrong with it. I haven't seen an AP59S on eBay in 13 years of looking..

04S2ZEv.jpg

7f1ppNO.jpg

Reply 6983 of 27168, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FuzzyLogic wrote:
Eighteen or more years ago I bought an AOpen AP59S board to upgrade my dad's socket 7 board. It wasn't in there long because I […]
Show full quote

Eighteen or more years ago I bought an AOpen AP59S board to upgrade my dad's socket 7 board. It wasn't in there long because I kept upgrading his computer, but I used it as a spare. In 2004, with an inverter, I ran it in my car to do some wireless testing and I fried it when I turned on the engine with the power on the PC.

So today I use a loupe to look for anything burned out and find nothing. I tested some SMT capacitors near the power connector and everything checked out. I change the dead battery, put in a stick of RAM, and decide to power it up to test some voltages. And the damn thing POSTs for the first time in 13 years.

It's a bit finnicky with the RAM, so I'm running memtest right now. But it's alive and there's hope on fixing anything that's wrong with it. I haven't seen an AP59S on eBay in 13 years of looking..

04S2ZEv.jpg

7f1ppNO.jpg

266mhz, so its got a Tillamook in it right?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6984 of 27168, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

266mhz, so its got a Tillamook in it right?

SL2Z4??? I thought it was just a bedtime story, to scare baby K6s.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6985 of 27168, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Screwing around with making new 16 color (Windows colors) icons. Made one for Doom, Keen, IE, and Duke (just the nuke symbol). If I can be bothered to whip up a few more, I'll have another useless Windows 3 icon pack to put out.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 6986 of 27168, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

did some math and down clocking on my 6990 to see if a 4890 CF setup would do what I need it to.
It will be close for a few things but for the most part it will go above and behold my needs. So that means the only part in my c2 system that will not era correct is the 1.6kw psu. I'm not giving that beast up for a 1.2kw+ unit from 2008ish.

Reply 6987 of 27168, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mister Xiado wrote:

Screwing around with making new 16 color (Windows colors) icons. Made one for Doom, Keen, IE, and Duke (just the nuke symbol). If I can be bothered to whip up a few more, I'll have another useless Windows 3 icon pack to put out.

Would you be willing to share some? Maybe start an icon thread somewhere on vogons (if there isn't one already)?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 6988 of 27168, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm loath to post links that may eventually die, as I have no idea how long webhosting will last, but the first set of 8 is right this way:
http://jigoku.studio-zoe.com/xemp/oldternet/files.htm
I forgot that I couldn't change group icons, making one of the icons beyond useless, unless someone feels like hacking the icon into Program Manager or something. Made a Wolfenstein 3D icon patterned after a newer version of the logo. Just a few more, and I'll try to update the oldternet download page. Heh. Wonder if I still have my FTP password saved anywhere...

Reply 6989 of 27168, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mister Xiado wrote:

I'm loath to post links that may eventually die, as I have no idea how long webhosting will last, but the first set of 8 is right this way:
http://jigoku.studio-zoe.com/xemp/oldternet/files.htm
I forgot that I couldn't change group icons, making one of the icons beyond useless, unless someone feels like hacking the icon into Program Manager or something. Made a Wolfenstein 3D icon patterned after a newer version of the logo. Just a few more, and I'll try to update the oldternet download page. Heh. Wonder if I still have my FTP password saved anywhere...

At the very least, post a screenshot of them.

Reply 6990 of 27168, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I must.

xiadowrk.gif
Filename
xiadowrk.gif
File size
2.65 KiB
Views
File comment
Set 1
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
temp.png
Filename
temp.png
File size
3.56 KiB
Views
File comment
Whatever
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6991 of 27168, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh. Nice helmet!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 6992 of 27168, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After I cobble together three more that don't look absolutely awful, I'll put up the second set. Been awake too long, and it's becoming hard to focus or visualize anything, so I can't finish the Tyrian or Worms icons yet. That will have to wait until morning.

Reply 6993 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally got around to benching my U5SX system. I'm happy, aside from the poor ISA VGA performance, must find a better card.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6994 of 27168, by RaYaNt3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haha, my retroactivity is bigger than it should...

It depends on free time I have, but I use to spend some diggin' for sound (pci & isa) or rebuilding old sockets... selling some parts and buying others...

During last year I've mounted 6/7 entire systems from donations or little buys, and in the very now hours I'm dealing with a K6-2 mobo that yesterday I founded for 7€...

QbzzsHu.jpg

Thanks to Phil I'm also doing some recordings, testing different sound cards in my retro rigs. I really enjoy his videos.

Reply 6996 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Diagnosed my nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP card, and found even more traces that were damaged (small dots to a drunk line) on the ground section (which is probably not a big deal since there's a lot of grounding on the card itself), and my Socket 370 system's PSU needs to be swapped since it's starting to show signs of failure (had to power the system off and on to get it to POST).

There're two PSUs that I can use in the system:

Bestec 195W <-- currently in my Athlon 64 3000+ system
Diablotec 400W <-- currently in my K6-2/300 system

The 195W PSU sounds ideal, but probably not enough for the system's needs.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6997 of 27168, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 486 update.

With the help of my friend, 'we' diagnosed and sorted out the motherboard. 'We' replaced the barrel batter with a coin battery holder and diode and added some wiring to get round the keyboard not working.

The system has a:

Quadtel S3 86c001/005 VLB Video card
(I've seen the thread here and thanks for the info: VGA VLB S3 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) 86C801/805, basic info)
Sound Blaster 16 Value
VLB Peripherals Card
A 430 (ish) MB Hard drive
A Matsushita CD-562 double speed drive. At first I couldn't get this working, but thanks to this forum, realised that the SB16 Value only recognised certain CD Drives off the IDE controller. I searched and found the relevant Device Driver and amazingly, it works.

I bought a 9pin Serial mouse. CTMouse diagnostics showed that the buttons worked, but the ball mechanism didn't, so have gone down the serial - PS/2 convertor route.

I installed Dos 6.22 and WFW 3.11. After some games and some midi files, I only have about 8 MB free. 😒

IMG_20171021_074829.jpg

IMG_20171022_204812.jpg

The last thing in my collection is the Socket 7 Winchip board to get up and running, so I'm on the lookout for an AT Case.

Reply 6998 of 27168, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
andrewreader wrote:
My 486 update. […]
Show full quote

My 486 update.

With the help of my friend, 'we' diagnosed and sorted out the motherboard. 'We' replaced the barrel batter with a coin battery holder and diode and added some wiring to get round the keyboard not working.

IMG_20171021_074829.jpg

The last thing in my collection is the Socket 7 Winchip board to get up and running, so I'm on the lookout for an AT Case.

Nice 486! I assume you got the extra 1MB of RAM added for 1280x1024. And I had that Mitsumi keyboard on my P90, but it broke and I threw it out decades ago. I need to get a new one for authenticity.

Reply 6999 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FuzzyLogic wrote:

Nice 486! I assume you got the extra 1MB of RAM added for 1280x1024. And I had that Mitsumi keyboard on my P90, but it broke and I threw it out decades ago. I need to get a new one for authenticity.

I just got one yesterday but it's grimy as hell so it will need to be unassembled and go for a ride in the dishwasher. I hear it has robber cap switches, never took one apart, hope it's not a huge PITA.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.