VOGONS

Reply 10060 of 27168, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a ATI VGA Charger 512KB ISA.

Now onto installing 95 on 4MB RAM 🤣 (disregard the NT4.0 CD, I digged it when I was searching for a 95C CD)

Attachments

• 2018-10-07 12.38.19.jpg
    Filename
    2018-10-07 12.38.19.jpg
    File size
    756.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 10061 of 27168, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Butler2679 wrote:
the_ultra_code wrote:

Why did you respond to a four-year old post from this thread?

Sorry about that. My bad. Shoulda payed more attention.

Hold up, I didn't say that.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10062 of 27168, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
Why did you respond to a four-year old post from this thread? For the record, I actually managed to run Windows 98SE on two Pent […]
Show full quote
Butler2679 wrote:
AlphaWing wrote:
I have bad luck with win9x and P4's. Never had a single P4 board that would run 9x stable or without some weird issue. That will […]
Show full quote

I have bad luck with win9x and P4's.
Never had a single P4 board that would run 9x stable or without some weird issue.
That willy I had to put 2000 on because it would just randomly hardlock no matter what I tried in 98,98se and ME.
Runs 2000 rock solid tho 😐
An I850 Rdram based board I have is exactly the same way.

I tried running 98 on a 3.0 P4. It had all kinds of issues, so you don't have bad luck.

Why did you respond to a four-year old post from this thread? For the record, I actually managed to run Windows 98SE on two Pentium 4 Dells (including an Optiplex GX260 and a Dimension 4300S) with little to no issues a long time ago, so I guess not all P4s are affected.

appiah4 wrote:

Got these printed:

-snip-

😀

Neat. For a while, I've had the idea of printing replicas of old stickers that are extremely hard to find (mainly pre-XP "Designed For Windows" stickers and Intel CPU stickers), I just haven't gotten around to doing so and not to mention I currently don't have metallic sticker paper (which is necessary for replicating the metallic feel of the originals).

This is the post in question. Page 491 of this thread.

Edit: Sorry, please resume posting retro content.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10063 of 27168, by oodavidson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys I'm new here, so I have been playing about with retro hardware for quite a while now and I have got my hands on a packardbell piii system with a ms-6168 bord. Now this thing is clean and I mean clean. Zero yellowing on case not a mark on it all litriture and restore disks ect. Original k/b mouse ECT all the capacitors are great basicly I don't think this thing has been used. I was so seeing what the value of this would possibly be? Can any one help please?

Reply 10064 of 27168, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those caps by the slot 1 may look good but I'd not trust them as far as I can throw them.

As for value - seems to depend a lot which side of the pond you're on - and on the exact revision of the board (only v2.0 has BX chipset and Coppermine support) and rest of the components, particularly the case. As an indication, I paid EUR 20 for a rev 2.0 'known dead' board, with all the relevant cables and two big bulging caps. Been running fine since replacing them.

Reply 10065 of 27168, by oodavidson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey l! Thanks for your reply I'm in the UK and it is the v.1 I just assumed it may have quite a high value to it with in been complete and in mint condition I really don't think this has been used. It's also a full setup excluding the monitor

Reply 10066 of 27168, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oodavidson wrote:

Hi guys I'm new here, so I have been playing about with retro hardware for quite a while now and I have got my hands on a packardbell piii system with a ms-6168 bord. Now this thing is clean and I mean clean. Zero yellowing on case not a mark on it all litriture and restore disks ect. Original k/b mouse ECT all the capacitors are great basicly I don't think this thing has been used. I was so seeing what the value of this would possibly be? Can any one help please?

I also have a ms-6168 board ... with a 650 mhz coppermine CPU on it. One of the capacitors behind the CPU has bulging, so I replaced it. The other caps tested fine, so I was slack and haven't changed them yet.

So yeah, keep an eye on those caps.

Otherwise it is a pretty cool motherboard.

Reply 10067 of 27168, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oodavidson wrote:

Hey l! Thanks for your reply I'm in the UK and it is the v.1 I just assumed it may have quite a high value to it with in been complete and in mint condition I really don't think this has been used. It's also a full setup excluding the monitor

As with anything in this game, it's a matter of what someone is willing to pay for it. "3dfx" generally bumps up prices as does NOS or close. But somebody has to want it bad to get that premium. I'm sure things like this would be listed with price tags of a couple of hundred quid on eBay, but I'd be surprised if you managed to get that for it. But again, it depends on the rest of the system too. Is this in a Spheris II case? And with an A720 monitor? Or something else?

Reply 10068 of 27168, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a new CPU cooler for my Packard Bell, Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Hackintosh. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, so took a gamble with a cheap Chinese cooler with a "Deep Cool" brand.

gTBeHeyl.jpg

It's as cheaply built as it's price tag, but seems to perform surprisingly well and not too loud either.

I've also ordered a new PSU for this system. The current PSU is only an old 20-pin ATX from the P4/Athlon XP era and won't cut it (nor POST for that matter) with the Graphics I'm upgrading to - a spare AMD Radeon HD 5450 PCIe card. Should give my classic Mac OS X gaming performance a bit of a boost over the currently installed GeForce 7300 LE and hopefully increase compatibility. Particularly with certain titles that don't currently run, namely Tomb Raider Chronicles which only gives me a blank screen with sound at present. Plus I'll also be able to dual boot with Windows and use the PC as a backup HTPC as well.

Reply 10069 of 27168, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wanted to do retro activity, but got sidetracked by stupid Windows 10. 😠

See, all my retro rigs run on CF cards instead of old drives. Faster, better, stronger. Yesterday wanted to test some CGA and Hercules games on my Tandon 286. But each time I connect CF through a reader to my Win10 laptop and start copying (either way, to or from), the whole thing freezes, then throws up error and CF drive letter disappears! So annoying!

Tried some suggestions from the internet (updated USB drivers, unchecked "hide empty drives letters" in file manager, etc etc), problem persists. Tried downloading drivers for Kensigton Card Reader FCR-HS4, but there ain't any on Kensington website or anywhere else for that matter. Tried to contact their support, but you can't proceed without filling captcha and the image is all black, so no support either. ARGH! And I bought Kensington reader because I didn't want some Chinese shite with no support, well, thanks for nothing Kensington.

Spent 30-45 minutes on all this, which effectively consumed the rest of time and energy I had that day. Went to sleep angry. I don't know how to access my CF cards with Windows 10 computer, which doesn't bid well for the future.

Reply 10070 of 27168, by chyron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OldCat wrote:

Wanted to do retro activity, but got sidetracked by stupid Windows 10. 😠

Win10 x64 build 1803 on p35 mobo, PQI TraveFlash USB2.0 from 2002-2003 with Kingston 512mb from about same era - works normally.

Maybe physical problems on your reader/card side? Symptoms similar to common 'dead card' problems. Have you tried another CF?

Reply 10071 of 27168, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's a Windows 10? I can only count to 0x07. 😀

Retro activity: fighting with DIP switch settings on ISA memory cards. Details in ISA XMS/EMS Memory Extension / Expansion cards: Now Running without Driver / Documentation :-) and Biostar MB-1212C (SIPP version) extended memory problem.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 10072 of 27168, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I am giving up on the P2B-DS + slotkets combo as it's clearly not gonna work. I'm assuming one of the MS-6905s is faulty but I've no way of diagnosing which one (they both work singly but refuse to cooperate in dual mode).

I'll refit the twin slot 1 700mhz PIIIs and then decide what sort of OS setup to install. Maybe something wacky like multibooting NT3.51, 2K and Ubuntu 4.10. The board came with a GC P2A-8 graphics card and I've no idea yet what the driver situation is like for that. Right, here we go then.

Reply 10073 of 27168, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not computer related. This weekend, I found a the last pieces of Transformers toys that my parents had kept since I was a child. So I cleaned them and now it is my son's turn to try and wear them out. I know that at least one of them are collectable, yet they are no near perfect in condition. He will get them, in the state that I left them in. And the fun can continue. There are three normal sized ones, one that are supposed to be a kind of "key" and then four miniature ones. As far as I remember, they are all original 90's transformer toys. My god... He will be a happy little man.

Transformers-01.jpg
Filename
Transformers-01.jpg
File size
457.04 KiB
Views
File license
Transformers-02.jpg
Filename
Transformers-02.jpg
File size
437 KiB
Views
File license
Transformers-03.jpg
Filename
Transformers-03.jpg
File size
444.4 KiB
Views
File license
Transformers-04.jpg
Filename
Transformers-04.jpg
File size
368.23 KiB
Views
File license
Transformers-05.jpg
Filename
Transformers-05.jpg
File size
517.22 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10074 of 27168, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PTherapist wrote:

Got a new CPU cooler for my Packard Bell, Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Hackintosh. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, so took a gamble with a cheap Chinese cooler with a "Deep Cool" brand.

Would love to hear some details about this system. I thought building a hackintosh on an AMD platform was problematic. What OS version are you running & did you have any difficulty setting it up?

I have a bunch of AM2 suff sitting around I should do something with.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10075 of 27168, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
PTherapist wrote:

Would love to hear some details about this system. I thought building a hackintosh on an AMD platform was problematic. What OS version are you running & did you have any difficulty setting it up?

I have a bunch of AM2 suff sitting around I should do something with.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

Full PC specs I'm currently using:
Packard Bell iSTART 2380
Biostar MCP6PB M2+ Socket AM2+ Motherboard
Nvidia nForce 430 Chipset
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @ 2.6GHz
2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM (can take up to 4GB)
200GB SATA HDD
Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE Onboard Graphics (not supported in Mac OS X)
Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE 128MB PCIe Graphics
Onboard Sound
Onboard Ethernet
1x DVD Writer Drive

My intention was to be able to run classic Mac OS X games & software, with PowerPC binary support via Rosetta. This AM2 system is essentially a slightly faster, smaller & less power hungry replacement for my still working PowerMac G5 which runs 10.4 Tiger. I could have gone with either 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard as OS for this Hackintosh, but thought I may as well add some extra software compatibility with the newer 10.6.

Installing the OS was the easy bit, just boot with iBoot Legacy + Retail Mac OS X install disc and then after the OS is installed use iBoot Legacy to actually boot the installed OS and then install Multibeast for the needed KEXTS & boot loader, as well as the Legacy Kernel etc. required for AMD systems. I later downloaded and installed the Chameleon bootloader, it's highly recommended.

Running an AMD system does mean you have to take extra steps when performing major software updates such as the point releases, namely booting with iBoot Legacy and installing a matching Legacy Kernel, as well as replacing any modified KEXT files as you'd have to do on Intel systems too.

The biggest difficulty I had, was getting the GeForce 7300 Graphics Card working with full acceleration. That particular card isn't really well supported and even with the current setup it has issues with certain games (Tomb Raider Chronicles gives only a black screen, for instance) and occasional slight GUI glitches on menus. This is why I'm swapping it for a fully supported AMD Radeon HD 5450 PCIe card, as soon as I receive the newly ordered PSU.

If you stick with a supported Graphics Card, you should be ok on most AM2 setups.

1 thing that did surprise me, my USB WiFi dongle had terribly unreliable software support on my PowerPC Macs with freezes and disconnects. Yet it works great on my 10.6.8 Hackintosh. I guess the x86 drivers for that device are a vast improvement. 🤣

Reply 10076 of 27168, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote:
Finally, I opened up the packaging for a near-mint condition Diamond Multimedia 3dfx Voodoo 1 PCI card I bought for my P1 machin […]
Show full quote

Finally, I opened up the packaging for a near-mint condition Diamond Multimedia 3dfx Voodoo 1 PCI card I bought for my P1 machine, and man, that was a sight to behold. After buying so many dirty, "abuse" GPUs of late, this was a breathe of fresh air. All I decided to do was dust it off a bit, and clean up the bracket and the ports, but it did little to improve how clean it was already.
I'm just waiting on a VGA pass-through cable so I can test this historic card. Can't wait! 🤣
z1I2r3kl.jpg

Okay, so I got my passthrough cable from Amazon today, and just now I threw my Voodoo1 into my P1 machine, right below the PCI 2D card, hooked up the passthrough cable and - sh*t! I started seeing graphical glitches on the BIOS screens and in the BIOS. Shutdown the system, remove the V1, same stuff. Took the 2D card's expandable memory out, and while much better, I still get graphical glitches:
mrOqto0l.jpg
drEg7HRl.jpg

My question is this: Did I use the "wrong" passthrough cable or did the V1 damage my 2D card? I just wanted everything to just be fine today, and yet Murphy's Law just leaped right into things again. 😵

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-05, 23:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10077 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks like an issue with your 2D card not your Voodoo.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10078 of 27168, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scanning large IDE hard disks is slooooowww 🙁

I've been trying to empty out my 'to do' box of untested hardware. What's left is mainly larger IDE drives, 20-160GB. And scanning them takes forever. Windows 98SE Scandisk seems to be the fastest solution I have available, but it only lets me scan if there's a valid partition on the disks, which becomes a headache over 127GB (BIOS limitation on my test board). Linux has no problems with drive size, but badblocks -nsv seems CPU limited on a P3-800EB: one drive just about maxes out CPU, with two it's going full blast continuously and takes >24h to scan the disks.

Fortunately only one more to go after today. Then time to see what I do with the drives - probably will sell (the older ones) or give away (the newer ones) most. I don't like HDDs at the best of times and anything over 2GB is a pain in the arse with legacy OS/BIOS anyway.

Last edited by dionb on 2018-10-10, 11:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10079 of 27168, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USB 3.0 ide converters are your friend here. I will just blow the drive away with a wipe program, while I do other things on my main system.

That said, it doesn't usually like the pre-ata33 ide drives. But that's a rare issue for me.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.