VOGONS

Reply 7380 of 27168, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recapped the PSU of my Philips NMS9100 (=Philips P3105) and installed a new battery. It showed more life after that, but still no image. After trying a different video card I got it to POST! So the video card might be dead. Now I need to get a new connector to make a proper cable for the video, I need a DB9 to DIN. I hacked one together for now, but is is missing wires in the DIN connector so it won't sync properly.

1982 to 2001

Reply 7381 of 27168, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Playing with the newest RetroOrangePI (4.1) for one of my OrangePI boards. So far it is looking like an awesome release.
Putting it through stress test, as I am adding large number of games and scraping at the same time.
So far it is looking like a more stable release than the previous version 3.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7382 of 27168, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

found this from a few years ago

Attachments

• 9U23TvX.jpg
    Filename
    9U23TvX.jpg
    File size
    88.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7383 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed Doom II on my Socket 370 system, and my computer keeps lagging for some reason. Mouse doesn't work, and frames drop dramatically. What's the issue here?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7384 of 27168, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_7459b.jpg
Filename
IMG_7459b.jpg
File size
559.4 KiB
Views
File license

... that about sums up my day. Whoever assembled this used waaaay too much TIM.

Thankfully it doesn't seem like I bent any pins, but I'm still trying to work out how to separate the CPU from that HSF without damaging either. Any suggestions?

Reply 7385 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SW-SSG wrote:
IMG_7459b.jpg

Thankfully it doesn't seem like I bent any pins, but I'm still trying to work out how to separate the CPU from that HSF without damaging either. Any suggestions?

Use a hairdryer to warm it?

Soak in alcohol and periodically try getting a modelling knife inbetween?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7386 of 27168, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:
IMG_7459b.jpg
Filename
IMG_7459b.jpg
File size
51.54 KiB
Views
File license

Woah, did they think it was modelling clay... thats insane!

Follow me on twitter

Reply 7388 of 27168, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cliffclaven wrote:
Qjimbo wrote:

It's frosting. All you need is a big glass of milk.

LMAO. Everytime I see this its an AMD. Did those Athlons just put out so much heat they turned thermal paste into cement?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 7389 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
cliffclaven wrote:
Qjimbo wrote:

It's frosting. All you need is a big glass of milk.

LMAO. Everytime I see this its an AMD. Did those Athlons just put out so much heat they turned thermal paste into cement?

They did not run hotter than things like Pentium EE for sure its just a case of terrible thermal compounds.

Reply 7390 of 27168, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Started building a Pentium 133 MHz system, which I wanted to do for quite some time. Got a very nice AT mini tower lately, so now I have all parts to do it. 😀 Today I started by disassembling and washing the tower case. Looks like new now. 😎

Reply 7391 of 27168, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:
IMG_7459b.jpg

I have encountered situations like this quite often when I scrap old Dells. I just pry the CPUs off with plastic bars. I don't think people would use adhesive paste to hold CPU and heatsink together in modern days.

Reply 7392 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SW-SSG wrote:
IMG_7459b.jpg

I'm surprised the pins are still attached and intact. I had that happen once, and broke 2 pins off (AM2+ board lost a cap, as well as the CPU). The Arctic 5 Silver thermal compound is amazing, yet a PITA to remove the CPU without ripping out the CPU.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7393 of 27168, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

accidentally dropped my 2010 smartphone in the sink so it's drying out in a sack of rice until I pick up some silica gel stuff. So far so good 😁

Completely back to normal 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7394 of 27168, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pfft, I've had this exact thing happen numerous times at work, usually with Dell Precision class workstations. They use a thick gray thermal compound that eventually hardens to about the equivalent of caulk, and as soon as you try to remove the heatsink it tears the CPU right out of the ZIF socket. It's yet to damage a pin, but it can be a bit of a challenge to get the CPU off carefully.

Exotic thermal compounds may conduct heat a little better, but I prefer good old fashioned silicone based stuff for the simple reason I'll never need to fight with it later.

EDIT: I just noticed @lazibayer said the same thing about old Dells. Small world...

bjwil1991 wrote:

I'm surprised the pins are still attached and intact. I had that happen once, and broke 2 pins off (AM2+ board lost a cap, as well as the CPU). The Arctic 5 Silver thermal compound is amazing, yet a PITA to remove the CPU without ripping out the CPU.

Reply 7395 of 27168, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's why it's always a good idea to twist before pulling.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 7396 of 27168, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps. Although in many cases the mounting mechanism limits or prevents torsional movement of the heatsink, making it impossible to twist before pulling.

Munx wrote:

That's why it's always a good idea to twist before pulling.

Reply 7397 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

Started building a Pentium 133 MHz system, which I wanted to do for quite some time. Got a very nice AT mini tower lately, so now I have all parts to do it. 😀 Today I started by disassembling and washing the tower case. Looks like new now. 😎

Ooh I built the P133 in my sig thia month so please do tell ehat went into it.

Reply 7398 of 27168, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:

IMG_7459b.jpg

FesterBlatz wrote:

Pfft, I've had this exact thing happen numerous times at work, usually with Dell Precision class workstations. They use a thick gray thermal compound that eventually hardens to about the equivalent of caulk, and as soon as you try to remove the heatsink it tears the CPU right out of the ZIF socket. It's yet to damage a pin, but it can be a bit of a challenge to get the CPU off carefully.

Exotic thermal compounds may conduct heat a little better, but I prefer good old fashioned silicone based stuff for the simple reason I'll never need to fight with it later.

EDIT: I just noticed @lazibayer said the same thing about old Dells. Small world...

Not surprised about the mention of Dells on the subject of the CPU sticking to the heatsink. I once had that same thing happen to my Dell Optiplex GX260, A few pins broke on the 2.8GHz Pentium 4 that was in it at the time. I ended up ordering two different P4 CPUs because the first one turned out to use an 800 MHz FSB which didn't work due to the i845G chipset predating that standard, I ended up using a 2.4GHz one which is only 400 MHz slower than the one that broke.

Reply 7399 of 27168, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case it helps anyone else, I ended up ordering some monoprice midi cables advertised as

"MIDI Cable with 5 Pin DIN Plugs - Black (5 lengths available) - Monoprice - 3Ft"

And they work perfectly (wired correctly) as AT keyboard extensions for my mechanical KVM switch.