VOGONS

Reply 80 of 27185, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JaNoZ wrote:
mwenek wrote:

Bought this to straighten the pins on my next project.

Use a Potato knife, much cheaper, very effective.

Btw what overdrive is that, Socket 4 to ? P133?

Well, the pliers only coat $.99 at Harbor Freight. Always buy things I don't really need when I go there!

This is a Pentium P54C 83Mhz Overdrive for a socket 2/3 board.
It posts and now I am waiting on an IDE to Compact Flash adapter for the 48 MB "hard drive" part.
Pics later...

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 81 of 27185, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
JaNoZ wrote:
mwenek wrote:

Bought this to straighten the pins on my next project.

Use a Potato knife, much cheaper, very effective.

Depending on the CPU, a mechanical pencil with the "lead" removed, and steady hands. Even cheaper. However, works better for P4 and above though (maybe P3) depending on the gauge wire used for the CPU.

Nice idea there. These were very stiff pins, but the ones on the 486DX33 were soft as butter. I'll try the mechanical pencil next time for sure.

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 82 of 27185, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwenek wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

Depending on the CPU, a mechanical pencil with the "lead" removed, and steady hands. Even cheaper. However, works better for P4 and above though (maybe P3) depending on the gauge wire used for the CPU.

Nice idea there. These were very stiff pins, but the ones on the 486DX33 were soft as butter. I'll try the mechanical pencil next time for sure.

We always used to joke that the graphite enhanced conductivity to the socket too. Perhaps it did! 😀

My rule of thumb used to be "the older the CPU the larger and stiffer the pins" so the mechanical pencil as pin straightener trick only works for a select number of CPUs (and other chips) because the typical mechanical pencil uses graphite which is 0.5mm to 0.7mm in diameter.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 83 of 27185, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved the guts of my Win98-P4 Socket 478, into a more decent ATX-Case.
(Asrock P4V88, 3 GhZ, 1 gig ram, Asus Radeon9600, SB-LIVE-Value Edition, Plextor CD-Burner and Samsung DVD-Burner)
Resurrected my old Win98 installation on this machine, just like I had my Win98 in the years from 1999 to 2002.
Had a blast, gaming NFS Porche 2K and Unreal Tournament.

Soldered a different plug on to a 120 mm fan, and installed it, as the case could take such a mighty case-fan. 😜
Hardware is more powerfull than the K6-2 I had back then, only the software is the same.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 84 of 27185, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Solved my diskette drive issue today. And by "solved," I of course mean I learned an interesting factoid about the Intel SE440BX board.

The 440BX is supposed to do some phantom disk switching thing. I can't find any information about it, and despite testing several different diskettes, I can't read anything from "B." So I'm not sure what you're meant to do if you have an A and B drive. Reboot and change BIOS settings every time you want to use one or the other?

Reply 85 of 27185, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i came around to do another Video.
Here is how i updated my CM-32L to the new firmware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O83qd4JcVNQ

My YouTube Channel

Reply 86 of 27185, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did some rebuild work on my pentium III system.. With the old case i was busy a couple days ago to cut out the front fan inlet.. The result was very good.. But the old case giving me some headache with the power led..
This power led is held by a special spacer / clips.. One of the four legs broke off.. But that spacer is a special type, but cant find it nowhere..

Because of this, it took me to much of time.. I decided to swap the hardware over in a better designed ATX beige case.. So i can finish that build for good..

I also made plans the swap that Athlon XP system build i want to do.. First i had planned to dual boot windows 98 se with windows xp..
Because iam not really trusted with windows xp and his security thing.. Because i still have a retail copy of windows vista.. I decided to dualboot windows 98 se and vista instead.
This gives me more benefits for security patches that are still are used to day. I also dont want to mess with all those installations of SP1 / SP2 / SP3.. I dont want to wasting my time on that..
And to good thing is, most later windows xp games will also work on windows vista.. Because iam using windows vista too, iam think off strip it a little down.. But if it would working fine on 4GB of memory, i just leave it like it is. I also decided to take another platform for this build. Later more.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 87 of 27185, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did a lot of investigating into storage options for W98SE. For some reasons SATA to IDE adapters have issues when enabling DMA in device manager. One will render the OS useless, the other one has this weird behaviour and everything comes to a crawl.

Without DMA all is good and still very fast and doesn't seem to make a difference when it comes to real life application.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 89 of 27185, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Did a lot of investigating into storage options for W98SE. For some reasons SATA to IDE adapters have issues when enabling DMA in device manager. One will render the OS useless, the other one has this weird behaviour and everything comes to a crawl.

Without DMA all is good and still very fast and doesn't seem to make a difference when it comes to real life application.

Well the idea of DMA over PIO was that it allows the drive controller direct access to the memory instead of having to go through the CPU. If you're stuck in PIO mode then the CPU has to work a lot harder to facilitate transfers. Maybe it's still fast, but not a good idea IMO

Reply 90 of 27185, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Better than Windows not booting though. Because that's what it does on Windows 98 SE with the J Micro controller. The other one (I reviewed both on my YT channel) has weird slow down issues. The boot takes minutes with the drive loading for a second then everything stops for a while and so on.

My YouTube channel

Reply 91 of 27185, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got some storage boxes from woolworths that are ideal for holding CDs 😀

5olj0Agl.jpg

0ziC7ozl.jpg

I removed all the discs from jewel cases and put the into sleves. I put the jewel cases all in a separate box.

My YouTube channel

Reply 92 of 27185, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Got some storage boxes from woolworths that are ideal for holding CDs 😀

I have some of those too! My wife puts carrots in them, sometimes celery 😒

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 93 of 27185, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

🤣

It was such a mess until a few days ago. Discs all over the floor, couldn't find anything and I would cringe when looking at it.

My YouTube channel

Reply 94 of 27185, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Come on.... Those are good stuff, when mixed into the bolognese for lasagne. 😜

Reply 95 of 27185, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found and bought these.... And what are the odd's, finding this nearly 10 years after the last one's were in the shops?
Those 10,- are Danish Kroners. So.... That's 1,77 US Dollars a package. (mind telling that they are still factory sealed)

floppy.jpg

Reply 96 of 27185, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Found and bought these.... And what are the odd's, finding this nearly 10 years after the last one's were in the shops? Those 10 […]
Show full quote

Found and bought these.... And what are the odd's, finding this nearly 10 years after the last one's were in the shops?
Those 10,- are Danish Kroners. So.... That's 1,77 US Dollars a package. (mind telling that they are still factory sealed)

floppy.jpg

I actually find factory sealed disks with reasonable frequency
I have some still plastic wrapped upstairs

Reply 97 of 27185, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:

I actually find factory sealed disks with reasonable frequency
I have some still plastic wrapped upstairs

In Denmark? Can only be done in a major city like Copenhagen or Odense.

Reply 99 of 27185, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:

No. In the USA.
I take it they don't have many thrift stores in denmark?

Oh.... Well.
That is one of the things we have plenty of. They just only sell stuff such as furnitures, kitchen stuff (electronics too), pot's, pan's and everything else wich are common and normal. Just not computer stuff. See... In Denmark, we are used to drive the computers straight to the recycling plant. Even if they are only 5 years old. If we buy new, we recycle the old. And that is bad for people like me. In the city I live in, we have 7 thrift stores and we are 20.000+ people.

If I take a look at the biggest online market place in Denmark, there are 95% i3 to i7 computers for sale. Well, computers like that.
Mostly are laptop's, as virtuallty nobody would count old and outdated computer gear as vaible stuff.
And if something would get online for sale, people usually do not know what it is worth.

For instance, there were one P1-133 for sale the other day. Price for the complete and working 1995/96 system, was just under 18 US Dollars.
And machines like that, is only for sale, one at a time every 3'rth month or so.

Thrift stores do not sell this stuff. Normally. Most of them have deals already made up with some eastern european business man.
He or they collect all electronics at a fixed monthly price, and they in return export the stuff for sale in Poland or other places.
Not only computer stuff. Stereo's and televisions too.

Yeah... It is getting really hard to find stuff anymore. The good part of it is, that whenever I can get my hands on stuff.
It is insanely cheap, compared to Ebay (the only reference I have for pricing).
The only way to get this stuff, is to know a lot of old people as they never ever through something out wich they have payed a lot of money for in the first place. They keep 90's stuff, even if it is un-fixable. You know how it is like with old people....