VOGONS

Reply 13500 of 27417, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be nice to include the chipsets supported by this driver as well 😁 http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php? … =30&f=8&t=26070

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13501 of 27417, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Completely disassembled an Xbox 360 Slim I got for cheap lately in order to give it a good cleaning. Fortunately, got it cracked open without breaking any tabs. Still, what a poor construction. What's the point in melting plastic parts together so no one can ever open it again after factory assembly?!

Last edited by derSammler on 2019-11-23, 08:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13502 of 27417, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Sounds like fun. Out of curiosity here, does the driver enable UMBs on certain chipsets?

It is completely chipset specific, I'm starting with Intel Aries (420EX) but todo list has SiS471, SiS496, ALi M1489 and OPTi895 also (basically hardware I have, that also has chipset documentation available).

Deksor wrote:

It would be nice to include the chipsets supported by this driver as well 😁 http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php? … =30&f=8&t=26070

I can only support things for which documentation exists. Most of those chipsets don't seem to have any publicly available info (i.e datasheet or some register reference)

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 13504 of 27417, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Completely disassembled an Xbox 360 Slim I got for cheap lately in order to give it a good cleaning. Fortunately, got it cracked open without braking any tabs. Still, what a poor construction. What's the point in melting plastic parts together so no one can ever open it again after factory assembly?!

I would say that less than one percent, of less than one percent of XBox owners are capable of servicing and repairing their consoles, so Microsoft really had no justification to ensure that people could keep their budget model game systems running for perpetuity. You tend to transmigrate into some strange realm of strange beings when you re-cap a mainboard, or replace a CDROM laser diode, and that realm is unfathomable to most.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 13505 of 27417, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mister Xiado wrote:
derSammler wrote:

Completely disassembled an Xbox 360 Slim I got for cheap lately in order to give it a good cleaning. Fortunately, got it cracked open without braking any tabs. Still, what a poor construction. What's the point in melting plastic parts together so no one can ever open it again after factory assembly?!

I would say that less than one percent, of less than one percent of XBox owners are capable of servicing and repairing their consoles, so Microsoft really had no justification to ensure that people could keep their budget model game systems running for perpetuity. You tend to transmigrate into some strange realm of strange beings when you re-cap a mainboard, or replace a CDROM laser diode, and that realm is unfathomable to most.

Still no justification for making a consumer electronic unservicable by the user.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13506 of 27417, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Discovered a DPDT switch is perfect for switching two different jumpers on/off in an opposite fashion. Useful for swapping midi ports 330/300 between an AWE32 and a musicquest clone. Also discovered the round hole for an audio port in an IO shield is the perfect size to mount the power cable socket of a picoATX PSU, which screws in nicely.

Reply 13507 of 27417, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got SMB sharing up on my 98SE SS7 machine via a 3com NIC, found the drivers at retronn.de.

Will setup FTP later since SMB seems unsecure on Win 10 haha, also used one of these wireless nano routers in bridge mode because the PC is too far to get another ethernet cable routed.

tUsvdlv.jpg

Also realized that my old 512MB Kingston stick does not seem to want to work with the VIA USB ports? files are all 0kb and system hangs during transfer. Even though I had the VIA USB Filter Patch 1.10 installed and tried different nusb drivers. Switched to another USB stick and suddenly it works flawlessly 😲

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 13508 of 27417, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mister Xiado wrote:

I would say that less than one percent, of less than one percent of XBox owners are capable of servicing and repairing their consoles, so Microsoft really had no justification to ensure that people could keep their budget model game systems running for perpetuity.

But if it's broken, someone must be able to repair it. So even a service partner or Microsoft itself would have to crack-open it for a repair. How stupid is this? It's like having a car with a hood that can not be opened by the owner, because the manufacturer welded it.

Reply 13509 of 27417, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
svfn wrote:
Got SMB sharing up on my 98SE SS7 machine via a 3com NIC, found the drivers at retronn.de. […]
Show full quote

Got SMB sharing up on my 98SE SS7 machine via a 3com NIC, found the drivers at retronn.de.

Will setup FTP later since SMB seems unsecure on Win 10 haha, also used one of these wireless nano routers in bridge mode because the PC is too far to get another ethernet cable routed.

tUsvdlv.jpg

Also realized that my old 512MB Kingston stick does not seem to want to work with the VIA USB ports? files are all 0kb and system hangs during transfer. Even though I had the VIA USB Filter Patch 1.10 installed and tried different nusb drivers. Switched to another USB stick and suddenly it works flawlessly 😲

I stumbled upon the very same problem yesterday. It's on my KT133A based KinetiZ board. With some USB stick, file transfer stalls after the first file is copied successfully and one has to reboot, and the second attempted file always results in 0kb. Copying manually makes it stall as well when trying to copy the second file. This happens in W98 as well as in 2k/XP on this machine.

Reply 13510 of 27417, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right at this minute, installing Red Hat 6.2 on a 8gb CF card connected to an 810e/500 MHz mendocino/128mb ram combo. Had to use 'no-hlt' to get the installer to start. Oh look, 'installation ended abruptly', 'you may safely reboot' etc. Ha, 'DISK BOOT FAILURE'. Such fun!

Reply 13511 of 27417, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in a bit of a lull with retro activity. I've recently moved house and all my retro kit (about 10 quite big, inefficiently packed boxes worth) went into the attic until we had sufficient storage. It's been 2 months and enough things have been put away and furniture bought that it can all come down again - I was getting nervous about it being in the attic for so long (especially as it's pretty cold now in November).

Thinking about it, perhaps all my crap being in the loft is why I have not been that interested in Retro stuff!

Anyway, I think I'll use this time to have a clear out too. I'm sure I don't need 5 poor quality 478 coolers and about 20 gigabytes of DDR1 memory.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 13512 of 27417, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... and about 20 gigabytes of DDR1 memory.

Yet.

That's not made anymore, and you'll work your way into those spares as your in-use sticks fail. I'm old enough to regret tossing quite a bit of "I'll never want it" now. Just... don't be me.

Reply 13513 of 27417, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Put together my Super Socket 7 build today.
Tyan Trinity 100 AT, K6-2+ 550@600, Voodoo 3 3500 TV, AWE64 Gold, etc.

2019-11-23 18.03.38.jpg
Filename
2019-11-23 18.03.38.jpg
File size
179.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Not 100% finished, especially the fans are still too loud, but I am already pretty pleased with how it worked out. Will open a dedicated system specs thread for this one later.

And because my wife and kids aren't home for a few days, what else would I do than get that Trinitron CRT from the basement, set everything up on the dining table and celebrate 20 years of Unreal Tournament (released exactly 20 years ago on 1999-11-23)?

2019-11-23 18.00.48.jpg
Filename
2019-11-23 18.00.48.jpg
File size
258.84 KiB
Views
File license

My retro computers

Reply 13514 of 27417, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a lot computer related today, other than I managed to find some more of my missing Commodore 64 games in my loft. The most important finds being 2 game cartridges - Robocop 2 & Star Ranger.

Also pulled out an old 80s VCR to test how it handles the output from my ZX81. The answer was, it doesn't.

But whilst I had the VCR out, I decided to test it. Obviously not retro computer related, but interesting nonetheless: this thing is mostly working, it appears as if the only major issue is a worn belt on the load/eject mechanism. I'll have to try and source a replacement belt to get this baby up and running fully. Some pics of this beast:

TkpTJgbl.jpg
SgqNvxvl.jpg

This thing was always such a temperamental contraption, but I suffered with it as a kid so nostalgia wins out. 🤣

Reply 13515 of 27417, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gex85 wrote:

Not 100% finished, especially the fans are still too loud, but I am already pretty pleased with how it worked out. Will open a dedicated system specs thread for this one later.

Looking forward to seeing your eventual system specs post! I also use a Tyan S1590S Trinity 100 AT motherboard in my Socket 7 build (currently somewhat under-utilized with a Pentium 233MMX). I found the inclusion of an AGP slot on this one to be cool in theory, but useless in practice, because I used a baby AT case which left me little room for all the IDE cables and such and they all just end up blocking the AGP slot. That was fine for me, since I was intending on using a Voodoo2 anyway, but still, annoying. 😐 I guess you probably wouldn't have had that problem (to a certain extent) since your case is a little bit bigger then a baby AT case.

Loved the original Unreal Tournament. Beautiful system to play it on. 😀

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 13516 of 27417, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2019-11-21_10-18-19.jpg
Filename
2019-11-21_10-18-19.jpg
File size
814.13 KiB
Views
File license
2019-11-21_10-10-51.jpg
Filename
2019-11-21_10-10-51.jpg
File size
1012.45 KiB
Views
File license
2019-11-20_08-56-14.jpg
Filename
2019-11-20_08-56-14.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
2019-11-20_08-55-29.jpg
Filename
2019-11-20_08-55-29.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license

Tested my new Hercules card and monitor with a 286 12 suntaq. Loads of fun 😀

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 13517 of 27417, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gered wrote:
gex85 wrote:

Looking forward to seeing your eventual system specs post! I also use a Tyan S1590S Trinity 100 AT motherboard in my Socket 7 build (currently somewhat under-utilized with a Pentium 233MMX). I found the inclusion of an AGP slot on this one to be cool in theory, but useless in practice, because I used a baby AT case which left me little room for all the IDE cables and such and they all just end up blocking the AGP slot. That was fine for me, since I was intending on using a Voodoo2 anyway, but still, annoying. 😐 I guess you probably wouldn't have had that problem (to a certain extent) since your case is a little bit bigger then a baby AT case.

Loved the original Unreal Tournament. Beautiful system to play it on. 😀

Thank you!
I actually made the same experience with the AGP slot. The case is not as roomy as it might look... To make the card fit I had to remove one of the serial port connectors because it collided with some components on the backside of the Voodoo's PCB. Still, it's a really, really tight fit. All the cables for serial and parallel ports, AT power supply, IDE and floppy drives are really cramped in between the Voodoo and the PSU. I mounted an extra 50mm fan to the Voodoo to keep it cool.
Working on this system reminded me why I never really liked working with Baby AT cases and boards. The term "cable management" had not been invented back then, and the cases (even the better ones like this) are a pain to work with. Crappy build quality, sharp edges everywhere, no proper ventilation... but I do love the results. For a SS7 system, choosing the Baby AT form factor somehow just feels like the right thing to do.
Earlier this year I put together a modern system with a Fractal Design case, something I had not done in years (always used laptops), and I was absolutely delighted how clean and easy the cable management was. If you haven't worked on modern system in the last few years, I suggest you try it 😉

My retro computers

Reply 13518 of 27417, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was testing my new (to me) VIA EPIA 800 Mini-ITX motherboard.

It's amazingly DOS friendly and even the built-in Ethernet has a packet driver for DOS.

The built-in VGA is pretty horrible (the picture is a bit blurry and it's not fast) but there is a PCI slot. Curiously, the board didn't want to POST with a GeForce 2MX PCI. It posted with an S3 Trio.

Using SetMul, I was able to easily overclock the CPU to 1 GHz by setting the multiplier to 7.5x. This didn't improve DOS Quake 640x480 score at all which means that it's probably the built-in GPU that is limiting the performance.

At 800 MHz, SpeedSys rating for the CPU is 420 (it's about 630 for AMD K6-III+ at 550 MHz).

Reply 13519 of 27417, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I finally got the RAM I just had to boot it.

IMG_4278s.jpg
Filename
IMG_4278s.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_4281s.jpg
Filename
IMG_4281s.jpg
File size