VOGONS

Reply 9880 of 27364, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cobra42898 wrote:

"do not use or store inflammable substances near the monitor."

If a substance is flammable, it could burn (flame). Why would I worry about an inflammable one? If it's inflammable, what's the problem?

7OprVLyS6y6HjOssJO0b98QhQhY=.gif

🤣!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 9881 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had a fellow Amiga'n over for lunch and fiddeling with Amiga computers.

- Found out why an 1200 board would not boot DF0. It was because the board was an Escom board.
- We tested two a500 keyboards to work.

We had a lot of talk about Amiga's in general, and we talked about the Playstation mini that will be on sale in december. We both agreed that it is a bullshit system, from what we know. The RaspberryPI-3 is a much better solution. And cheaper.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9882 of 27364, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lol well taken. All I know is I'd rather be around an inactive nuclear weapon than an active one.

Whoever made two opposite sounding things mean the same thing should be flogged.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 9883 of 27364, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently sold on my Gigabyte TX3 motherboard to a friend as he had been asking if he could buy it from me for ages and having recently picked up a Asus TX97 ATX board I agreed to sell it to him. This meant it left my AT case empty and I couldn't have that! So I assembled this today.

Funnily enough its another Gigabyte board! The GA-586HX V2.01. Had this in my parts for ages having never put it to use. I believe this is considered a great board. It has a 166mmx CPU and 32mb ram. I'm going to aim this as my Slowdown/MT-32 machine and roll with Straight Dos 6.22 on it. Its currently got the Music Quest MPU-401 in it along with a PAS16. I may add more cards at a later date. I'm going to maybe focus on older FM cards as I've been on a bit of a Midi blow out lately. Great thing with this board is the Turbo Function works enabling 50 mhz so that will be very nice to have when testing out semtul etc.

AT cases are a right pain in the arse to work in. This thing took an absolute age to put together.

VBHkBZsl.jpg
lNUw3QHl.jpg

Reply 9884 of 27364, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jed118 wrote:
It is done. […]
Show full quote

It is done.

https://imgur.com/a/StjMjtz

There are three scans, one at 300 DPI, one at 600 (that one somehow got a full page scan), and an 800 DPI version.

If these are insufficient quality, let me know, I have a newer scanner at work.

Thank you very much !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9885 of 27364, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes to "inflame" is an intensifier. It doesn't mean to cool down. Understandable mistake though for people learning the language.

Those tiny baby AT cases that were so popular at one time are not only difficult to work in (I have one where you can't replace the memory without physically removing the PSU) but they also have terrible cooling & ventilation, especially when they're hosting a hot video card like a Voodoo2.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9887 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And I had time for some more Amiga restauration. Fitted the old lady with a top and bottom shield. Then updated my blog on the progress.

TopShield-Fitted.jpg
Filename
TopShield-Fitted.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9888 of 27364, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
Errius wrote:

Understandable mistake though for people learning the language.

Mind you, the corresponding prefix in German, "ent-", has exactly the same ambiguousness.

Spidermen.jpg
Filename
Spidermen.jpg
File size
45.16 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9889 of 27364, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:
I recently sold on my Gigabyte TX3 motherboard to a friend as he had been asking if he could buy it from me for ages and having […]
Show full quote

I recently sold on my Gigabyte TX3 motherboard to a friend as he had been asking if he could buy it from me for ages and having recently picked up a Asus TX97 ATX board I agreed to sell it to him. This meant it left my AT case empty and I couldn't have that! So I assembled this today.

Funnily enough its another Gigabyte board! The GA-586HX V2.01. Had this in my parts for ages having never put it to use. I believe this is considered a great board. It has a 166mmx CPU and 32mb ram. I'm going to aim this as my Slowdown/MT-32 machine and roll with Straight Dos 6.22 on it. Its currently got the Music Quest MPU-401 in it along with a PAS16. I may add more cards at a later date. I'm going to maybe focus on older FM cards as I've been on a bit of a Midi blow out lately. Great thing with this board is the Turbo Function works enabling 50 mhz so that will be very nice to have when testing out semtul etc.

AT cases are a right pain in the arse to work in. This thing took an absolute age to put together.

VBHkBZsl.jpg
lNUw3QHl.jpg

Looks good! How many times did you cut yourself?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 9890 of 27364, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Only the once thankfully and that was from trying to feed the IDE cable in a small awkward space at the top. Either i am more careful now or I've got iron hands immune from cuts off cheap Chinese steel! hahaha 🤣 🤣

Reply 9891 of 27364, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Only the once thankfully and that was from trying to feed the IDE cable in a small awkward space at the top. Either i am more careful now or I've got iron hands immune from cuts off cheap Chinese steel! hahaha 🤣 🤣

The removable backplane was *such* a good idea!

It occurs to me, if you had to design a case for a 386-496-Pentium I AT system now, what would you do differently?

Apart from rolled edges. 😀

I think I may try this, though it may be item 134 on my to-do list, right after "learn Esperanto."

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9892 of 27364, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good cable management behind the motherboard.
Separate sides and top instead of those awful U-shaped covers.
Increase length of case by a few cm and move HDD from awful location under FDD (and on top of most important bits of motherboard) down to the lower front of the case, in vertical orientation.

Apart from that (and the edges!) most of the nastiness comes from the AT design itself. Unless you have a huge bigtower or desktop that lets you leave the whole motherboard free, you'll have things located in front of vital parts, you'll have ribbon cables all over the place, and airflow would completely depend on motherboard design and which components are installed.

Reply 9893 of 27364, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Yes to "inflame" is an intensifier. It doesn't mean to cool down. Understandable mistake though for people learning the language.

Those tiny baby AT cases that were so popular at one time are not only difficult to work in (I have one where you can't replace the memory without physically removing the PSU) but they also have terrible cooling & ventilation, especially when they're hosting a hot video card like a Voodoo2.

You should see my Siemens 486 - That requires removing 6 screws to get the PSU out of the way so you can mount horizontal ISA expansion cards. I bet the flow through there is just superb... Also the 66MHz CPU does not have a cooling fan?

Í've got that covered though.

You're welcome for the stickers. I recall getting cut badly by a really shitty AT case in the 90s - expansion port slot in the case had razor sharp edges and cut me to the damn bone practically. I dripped blood into the customer's system and my boss paid me for the rest of the day but sent me home as I was just bleeding all over. Even the next few days were hard due to the sheer amount of bandages on my finger reduced my dexterity. I recall I was working up front on sales for the next week or so... Commission was good!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 9894 of 27364, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
Errius wrote:

Understandable mistake though for people learning the language.

Mind you, the corresponding prefix in German, "ent-", has exactly the same ambiguousness.

Huh. Now that's a bit of trivia I'm definitely going to remember.

Also, you got me curious:

I suspected they had a common ancestry and looked at inflame on Etymonline and Wiktionary but came away unsatisfied. The "in-" from "inflame" does trace all the way back to Proto-Indo-European essentially unchanged, and two of the Middle English forms it took were "enflamen" and "enflaumen", but Wiktionary didn't have an entry for what Google Translate gave me for inflame in German (entflammen) and the Wiktionary entry for "ent-" only talked about an etymology based in meaning "and", so, without speaking German or knowing a more complete English-language site with German etymology, I wasn't able to trace the German back, the way I was with the English.

(inflame/enflame (Modern English) -> inflammen/enflamen/enflaumen (Middle English) -> enflammer (Old French) -> inflammare (Latin) -> "in-" inherited from Proto-Indo-European.)

I also got curious about the use of the terminology and popped over to the Wikipedia Combustability and flammability page. It turns out there's been an effort since the 1950s to retire "inflammable" in favour of "flammable" for exactly this reason (ie. it's a safety hazard) and "non-flammable" is the most direct antonym for "flammable". ("non-inflammable" is valid as the most direct opposite for "inflammable", but awkward-sounding.)

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.

Reply 9895 of 27364, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
Good cable management behind the motherboard. Separate sides and top instead of those awful U-shaped covers. Increase length of […]
Show full quote

Good cable management behind the motherboard.
Separate sides and top instead of those awful U-shaped covers.
Increase length of case by a few cm and move HDD from awful location under FDD (and on top of most important bits of motherboard) down to the lower front of the case, in vertical orientation.

Apart from that (and the edges!) most of the nastiness comes from the AT design itself. Unless you have a huge bigtower or desktop that lets you leave the whole motherboard free, you'll have things located in front of vital parts, you'll have ribbon cables all over the place, and airflow would completely depend on motherboard design and which components are installed.

I used to split ribbon cables into 4-5 strand groups and zip tie or otherwise bundle them together. There were round ribbon cables sold back in the day.

Airflow managment. Yes, most systems require little cooling, so a single slow 120mm fan should suffice. With a dust filter.

Front serial, parallel and AT keyboard ports?

Some of my execrable 90s minitowers have the HD under the power supply to the rear of the case. Probably not best.

Tool-less assembly. Thumbscrews or latches on the back (not plastic), plastic drive sleds that snap in place, like all those forgotten Dell P4s with stunning case management.

Labeled front panel connectors. 😀

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9896 of 27364, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jed118 wrote:

You're welcome for the stickers.

Is there a repository for such things? I have a few on cases, from U-tron and Victoria to Power Computing, that I think I could get high-res pics of that could be reproduced.

I found a few logos online, like Leading Edge and Everex, but search engines kind of don't get obsolete computer brands.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9897 of 27364, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
Cobra42898 wrote:

"do not use or store inflammable substances near the monitor."

If a substance is flammable, it could burn (flame). Why would I worry about an inflammable one? If it's inflammable, what's the problem?

"inflammable" means that it can catch fire easily. It's not the negative form of "flammable" but a synonym for it.

OFFTOPIC (but fun): more background on that weirdness here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play … -or-inflammable

1982 to 2001

Reply 9898 of 27364, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ssokolow wrote:

but Wiktionary didn't have an entry for what Google Translate gave me for inflame in German (entflammen) and the Wiktionary entry for "ent-" only talked about an etymology based in meaning "and", so, without speaking German or knowing a more complete English-language site with German etymology, I wasn't able to trace the German back, the way I was with the English.

No idea about the etymology either, but some examples:

entflammbar = flammable / inflammable (ent- not negating here)
enthäuten = to skin (ent- not negating here; same meaning as "häuten")

entmagnetisieren = demagnetize (magnetisieren = magnetize; ent- is now negating)
entfesseln = to unleash (ent- is negating)

I think the problem with engl. "inflammable" is just due to the fact that English has too many synonyms in general. For many words in English with Germanic roots, there's a synonym with Romanic roots too, and vice versa. And that is of course a problem if a word taken from a different language family starts with letters that are a prefix otherwise, just like "in-" here. The Latin word "inflammare" never had any other meaning than engl. "flammable". While "in-" was a prefix in Latin too, it's just not the same.

Last edited by derSammler on 2018-09-21, 09:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9899 of 27364, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A problem with English is that unlike German, Spanish and other languages, there is no universal body with authority to set standards of spelling and word usage. Every major university and newspaper in the English-speaking world has its own style of English peculiar to itself.

Is this too much voodoo?