VOGONS

Reply 13601 of 27334, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received a box full of IDE and SATA cables, along with a few PC fans (some of them broken), speakers and other miscellaneous components. Took about three hours to clean them one by one. I simply refuse to storage components when they are dirty.

Attachments

• IMG_8773.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8773.JPG
    File size
    716.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13602 of 27334, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried again to find a decent browser for Win98. No luck. I really want to have a retro Win98 VM for some games and other stuff, just like I had 20 years ago. But looks like my best (and closest) option is win2k.

I’d use Win2k if I had a customized bootscreen, start menu banner, logon and shutdown banners to look like 98.

Back to drawing board of ideas...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13603 of 27334, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:

Tried again to find a decent browser for Win98. No luck. I really want to have a retro Win98 VM for some games and other stuff, just like I had 20 years ago. But looks like my best (and closest) option is win2k.

I’d use Win2k if I had a customized bootscreen, start menu banner, logon and shutdown banners to look like 98.

Browser as in Internet Browser? Have you tried KernelEX to load a more modern browser build to Win9x?

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 13604 of 27334, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest activity. Soldered up the XT2AT keyboard converter. The PS/2 connector I ordered didn't have the right mounting leg size, too big for the PCB holes. Might just be a PCB hole size error, but I snipped the mounting legs off and soldered it anyway -- I don't plan on putting gorilla force on it and will seldom use it. I just have to program the PIC, 3D print the case tonight, and it should be good to go.

Xe4PDFTh.jpg

edit: printing!

M3oiiI4h.jpg

edit: print complete, now cooling off!

PEAulNRh.jpg

EDIT: This case I found on Thingiverse does not fit the Oshpark printed PCB. Apparently there are more than 1 PCB versions for the XT2AT. I just designed a quick and dirty new case in about 20min, and hopefully it fits. Printing nao. Oh, I also flashed the PIC with my TL866II Plus -- it worked awesome, first time I used it. 😎

HUKCPoyh.png

Bah, dimensions are a few millimeters off. Back to the drawing board -- almost there.. so close to fitting perfect. The holes for the keyboards all align correctly, I just need to tighten up the dimensions around the circuit board, and shrink the lid by 1mm to get it to fit in all the way.

QtyESGph.jpg

ZUo1NPLh.jpg

Last edited by wiretap on 2019-12-08, 05:16. Edited 6 times in total.

My Github

Reply 13606 of 27334, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spent the whole day fixing my “new” turntable - Technics SP10 mk2 which I bought very cheaply almost a year ago. When I bought it, I knew it was not fully working: the brake didn’t work and it was an ex-BBC version which required an external control box which in turned required a BBC console (which I obviously didn’t have). Some time ago I bought a new old stock brake assembly (loop and solenoid) but it turned out that not only the solenoid was bad and the loop was missing from my turntable, but the transistor controlling the solenoid was also shot. I also found and bought a spare logic board, that allowed me to get rid of the external control box and of the extremely stiff cable going to that box.

I still need to recap the turntable but aside from that it’s fully functional. Now I need to make a new armboard and install a tonearm. Given how awesome the SP10 mk2 is, I anticipate it will sound much better than my current turntable (a heavily tweaked and customized Technics SL-110).

While doing the repairs, I found a date stamp inside my SP10 mk2, it was made in July 1985 which makes it almost 35 years old.

Last edited by ShovelKnight on 2019-12-07, 19:56. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13607 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like a fun, yet painful project to work on.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13608 of 27334, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Sounds like a fun, yet painful project to work on.

To be honest, the most painful part was patiently watching eBay for spare parts. The service manual for this model is very good and includes an extremely helpful flowchart that basically says "if X doesn't work, check Y". After I collected all the parts, the rest was relatively straightforward.

Reply 13609 of 27334, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Browser as in Internet Browser? Have you tried KernelEX to load a more modern browser build to Win9x?

Yep. I had the unofficial win98se service pack, installed kernelex, even tried the kernelex updates along with some other more modern browsers, even tried retrozilla, rzbrowser, seamonkey, opera 12.02, firefox 10.x esr, nothing worked for youtube. K-meleon and New Moon/Pale Moon whatever is its name, just crash on me no matter what compat mode I select. Youtube just does not work. Some of my fav websites dont even work properly. I know Pale Moon sort of works on win2k and some more recent versions of firefox with blackwingcats kex on win2k too, but this is not my main goal. I want windows 98se.

Some months ago I sort of had youtube on retrozilla, but I do not remember how. I’d accept it with a greasemonkey script to stream on VLC if I had a greasemonkey version working for it along with the script but I guess that this method does not work anymore. Maybe I am late to the “party”. But at least some of my other websites should kinda work too.

To be fair I have never used youtube on win98 when I had it, I believe Youtube as I know it, I began using somewhere between 2006-2005, when I had XP or Win2K. Probably XP. But I hate XP...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13610 of 27334, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Playing with different harddrive solutions on my Amiga500-Desktop. It is not that happy to use CF cards, and I suspect that it might come down to PIO compatibility issues. Better luck with laptop SATA drives and SATA-to-IDE converters. I can use a 120gb drive, no BIOS settings or whatever to battle with. Just plug it in and I can use up to 4gb of the space. If I want to use all the space, I would have to upgrade the Kickstart from version 2 to the new 3.1.4

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13611 of 27334, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A long time ago I picked up a Dell 2000fp (very old 1600x1200 IPS monitor) at a thrift store. Because of it's age I didn't have much confidence that it would work, and it's been sitting around because I've never been able to test it. It uses an odd sized barrel connector for the power supply. I've never found one that fits.
Few days ago I decided to rig up something to finally check if it has a future or needs to be disposed.

IMG_7400_cropped.jpg
Filename
IMG_7400_cropped.jpg
File size
124.55 KiB
Views
File license

This is one of the thrift store PSUs I bought back when I was trying to find one that works with this monitor.
The monitor calls for 20V 3.5A, so this should work. It's for a laptop and for whatever reason Dell used a different connector on it even though they're essentially the same voltage.

When I cut off the connector I was surprised to find 3 wires inside. Apparently Dell has some goofy system where they use the 3rd wire to communicate with the laptop. Luckily the other 2 wires will still provide power without that.

IMG_7399_cropped.jpg
Filename
IMG_7399_cropped.jpg
File size
64.85 KiB
Views
File license

I soldered a couple wires onto the barrel connector and twisted them with the power supply wires. It's ghetto but I want an answer here.

IMG_7405_resized.jpg
Filename
IMG_7405_resized.jpg
File size
34.25 KiB
Views
File comment
My camera's focus is awesome
File license

I've used it for hours since this and it still works.
The bezel is huge, but all that black surrounding the screen kind of helps to immerse yourself. Give it a few years and they'll bring back big black bezels to sell new TVs.
Too bad the screen is blemished, but I don't think Goodwill has ever had a monitor on their shelves that wasn't scratched.
I've closed up the case (bare wires still hanging out for power supply) and put it on a VESA stand. It's too heavy for the stand to lift it.

Definitely the oldest LCD that I have, and the picture is quite decent. I need to test it with the "VGA Compatibility Test Suite". I'm hoping that it's age will imply better behavior with some of the hacky demo scene stuff. IPS is 60Hz only though so DOS in general remains iffy.
I wondered about a panel swap, but it looks like this older panel isn't swappable with the later panels found in Dell 2007fp and HP LP2065 monitors. I don't know much about how the signalling works in LCDs but apparently this old model uses TMDS, not LVDS like the later panels use.

Reply 13613 of 27334, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I REALLY like these old dell screens. usb hub, composite, svideo, component, halfway decent speakers. And they tend to be very stable in terms of build quality. Only thing missing is an RF tuner... But I've made an adapter for my TI-99/4A to use composite instead.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13614 of 27334, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gave up trying to run Windows 98 VM with a decent browser for internet browsing and switched to a Windows 2000 Pro VM. Hopefully with BWC kernel extender I will be able to run some modern browsing with Youtube, some bells and whistles... and with my favorite classic desktop styles.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13615 of 27334, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:

When I cut off the connector I was surprised to find 3 wires inside. Apparently Dell has some goofy system where they use the 3rd wire to communicate with the laptop. Luckily the other 2 wires will still provide power without that.

It's for a lockout chip they put in to block 3rd parties from making power supplies. Of course that chip is known to fail, and when that happens the laptop refuses to recognize it as a "valid" Dell PSU. It'll still run, but won't charge the battery or allow you to use it on a docking station. 😠 I've been burned by having those stupid chips go out twice now, on a laptop I've had since new. IMHO that kind of shonky planned-obsolescence engineering should lead to jail time.

Nice job getting the 2000FP going though! I don't think I've ever even seen one of those in person - they can't have sold very many of them & it's such a chunky beast I imagine a lot of them got replaced fairly quick. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the 2001 & 2007.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13616 of 27334, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished up the final design for my XT2AT. Fits perfect. I'll upload it to Thingiverse later.

Edit, Thingiverse link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4032766

Sf7MNGN.jpg

XPIMF91.jpg

Last edited by wiretap on 2019-12-09, 02:46. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github

Reply 13617 of 27334, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:

A long time ago I picked up a Dell 2000fp (very old 1600x1200 IPS monitor) at a thrift store.

I have a Dell 2000FP monitor. It's a solid one to use for old machines. 😀

Reply 13618 of 27334, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally made some time to tinker with the Tyan S2507T dual Pentium 3 setup today.

Good news is with a beefy old PSU for all the 5v and 3.3v amps, it seems to run like a champ!

Not as good news, still not sure why my 600w Enermax PSU won't turn on after recapping, but since this 450w unit definitely works I'm going to try recapping it before wrapping up this rig project.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 13619 of 27334, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am in the search for a Dell 2001fp (pre-2004 model) my self. Because it can take a 15khz signal. It is for my Amiga's.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011