VOGONS

Reply 10220 of 27486, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried to resurrect a Pentium 1 system I purchased a few years back at a yard sale. The hard drive I salvaged from my Xbox (8 GB Western Digital) was NOT liked by the system. Not sure if it's because of a drive lock, or the fact that it's an 8GB drive. I'll test it, maybe. Also much of my old RAM seems to be dead. This will require further testing to be certain of what still works. Alas, my other Pentium system has a DALLAS RTC in it, as well as a 486 DX 2 tower I got with the first Pentium system, so I'm not touching those until I work up the drive to fix those stupid chips.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 10221 of 27486, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The HDDs from the Xbox always had a password on there that matches the EEPROM chip's password on there that prevents the HDD from getting written or read by a system that's not an Xbox. I recommend using a device to read the EEPROM chip to obtain the password, make a CD to unlock the HDD in your computer (recommended system should be a Pentium 4 or higher for this), and so on. I did this years ago when I was making a new HDD for my Xbox Original that lost its 10GB Seagate HDD and replaced the PSU as well with a new one I purchased 8 years ago.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10222 of 27486, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the_ultra_code wrote:

I'm not sure I can provide that. All I have for the GPU in the Device Manager is a driver titled "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)", and in there is nothing at all mentioned in any of the driver details regarding a "PCI ID".

It's funny - hwinfo32 "detects" the GPU, calling it a "Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS AGP; BRO2; AGP 8x".

Also, I don't know if this piece of information is important, but when I took apart the GPU, I noticed what looked like a bridge-chip between the GPU die and the AGP interface on the card.

Try the Unknown Device Identifier http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 10223 of 27486, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

The HDDs from the Xbox always had a password on there that matches the EEPROM chip's password on there that prevents the HDD from getting written or read by a system that's not an Xbox. I recommend using a device to read the EEPROM chip to obtain the password, make a CD to unlock the HDD in your computer (recommended system should be a Pentium 4 or higher for this), and so on. I did this years ago when I was making a new HDD for my Xbox Original that lost its 10GB Seagate HDD and replaced the PSU as well with a new one I purchased 8 years ago.

I don't remember if I tried to unlock the drive when I was duplicating it in the process of softmodding my Xbox, but probably not. The system won't even boot from a floppy with that drive connected, and since the Xbox still desperately needs a clock capacitor replacement, I'm not going to put it back into the Xbox any time soon. Ordinarily I would just buy another drive and keep the XB one for an event when the drive currently in the system might fail, but work has been slow as to be halted.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 10224 of 27486, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm nearly done testing the GA-5AX and got it stable at 125mhz fsb with the best settings. Above this the 8ns tag and 4ns cache say goodbye when confronted with booting.

Attachments

• IMG_2201.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2201.jpg
    File size
    718.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10225 of 27486, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I began to inventorize the stuff i have. I need some form of storage so i find everything i "need".
Much boring work 😀

Reply 10226 of 27486, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went to the Portland retro gaming expo this weekend. Lots of good deals on stuff surprisingly. A booth in their annex costs $75 for the whole weekend. I should rent a uhaul next year and cart all my spares up for "redistribution"

https://youtu.be/nniB5P6uy0E if you want to get an idea what it was like. My friend picked up a 512k coco3 for $70 which wasn't bad at all. Lots more console stuff though, which I'm not really into collecting.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 10227 of 27486, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DaveJustDave wrote:

Went to the Portland retro gaming expo this weekend. Lots of good deals on stuff surprisingly. A booth in their annex costs $75 for the whole weekend. I should rent a uhaul next year and cart all my spares up for "redistribution"

https://youtu.be/nniB5P6uy0E if you want to get an idea what it was like. My friend picked up a 512k coco3 for $70 which wasn't bad at all. Lots more console stuff though, which I'm not really into collecting.

I went to PRGE 2015 & 2016 and had a blast. A great expo in one of the coolest cities in the U.S. Lived in Portland for a year and loved it.

Reply 10228 of 27486, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DaveJustDave wrote:

Looks like you must have had a great time among all those fine electronics. I just subscribed to your channel; it looks really promising! 😊

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 10229 of 27486, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got my new Logitech Logimouse C7 working on my IBM 5150. It apparently has to use the original Logitech software because I can't get cutemouse to find it. Thankfully, the Logitech software is pretty cool. 😀

It has a function that allows you to use CTRL-ALT + left, middle or right buttons to lower, reset or raise the mouse sensitivity. It also makes a lovely beep sound with a pitch that corresponds to the sensitivity setting. Its awesome to be able to do this in any program under pure DOS 3.3!

My wife and I were playing with the mouse a bit and we both noticed how smoothly it tracks and how the buttons on this 31 year old device have that very familiar sharp click of a modern high end Logitech mouse.

We scribbled a bunch in Microsoft Paintbrush 1.0, and I couldn't resist copying the PCX file over to my main PC to see just how much different it looks on a system with SQUARE pixels (vs 640x200x16 EGA).

The artwork is attached... 😊

Hello.gif
Filename
Hello.gif
File size
21.67 KiB
Views
File license

BTW, this system is not a 100% stock 5150. I have a Tiny Turbo 286 7Mhz, 640k and an Everex EGA card installed. Paintbrush would probably be painfully slow without that 286. 😵

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 10231 of 27486, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

We scribbled a bunch in Microsoft Paintbrush 1.0, and I couldn't resist copying the PCX file over to my main PC to see just how much different it looks on a system with SQUARE pixels (vs 640x200x16 EGA).

The artwork is attached... 😊

Hello.gif

Love it!

Reply 10232 of 27486, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
the_ultra_code wrote:

I'm not sure I can provide that. All I have for the GPU in the Device Manager is a driver titled "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)", and in there is nothing at all mentioned in any of the driver details regarding a "PCI ID".

It's funny - hwinfo32 "detects" the GPU, calling it a "Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS AGP; BRO2; AGP 8x".

Also, I don't know if this piece of information is important, but when I took apart the GPU, I noticed what looked like a bridge-chip between the GPU die and the AGP interface on the card.

Try the Unknown Device Identifier http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

Just tried, and I got this error message:
D8auDU7l.jpg

The computer gods have cursed me. 🤣

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-06, 16:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10233 of 27486, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ouch. Right-click on My Computer, click on Properties, Device Manager tab, expand the Display adapters section, right-click on the driver that says Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA), click on Properties, click on the Drivers tab, click on Update driver, click next, click on Display a list of all drivers in a specific location, so you can select a driver you want, click next, click on Have Disk, click Browse (why it goes to the floppy drive is beyond me), click on the list of drives and select Drive C or another drive that has the drivers, expand nVidia, Win9x or Win9xME, open the appropriate driver revision (81.98 causes windows protection errors and won't shut down), such as 77.72, make sure the inf file is selected, click OK, click OK, select the video card (6800 GS if listed), click next, click Yes (it always asks me to click yes when I re-install my GeForce 6200 video drivers), click next (the drivers will copy over to the appropriate destinations), click Finish, and click Yes to restart Windows.

Last night, I figured out my video card resolution issues by switching the VooDoo2 card and GeForce 6200 PCI card around, installed driver set 77.72, and I now get 1280x1024 resolution on my 18.1" NEC MultiSync 1850e monitor.

Reply 10234 of 27486, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fully moved my retro stuff onto VMs or emulators... my Optiplex GXa's 98 install? Imaged to a VMWare VM and it works fine except for the DOS MIDI part... had to install VMWare Tools and the SB PCI 128 driver but otherwise was pretty seamless. My old Aptiva's Windows 95 install, copied to PCem. Again, had to fiddle with drivers but after that, it works great.

And I have a slew of 86box and PCem configs for DOS... 286, 386, 486 configurations with different sound & video cards. Runs fine on my ThinkStation where I have hooked up my PS/2 mouse + keyboard + Dell 2007fpb monitor.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 10235 of 27486, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Forgot that we reached 512 pages on here. To celebrate, I have an EVGA GeForce 6200 PCI card that has 512MB GDDR3 RAM.

Reply 10236 of 27486, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried and tested out my Terrible Fire TF-530 accelerator card these last few days. And found that I need to get a kickstart socket relocator in order to have my cloanto dual-kickstart rom switcher installed. It is quite tall, and a few millimeters are in the way of the CPU relocator. I can install the card without the CPU-Relocator. Though doing that, will prevent me from having the keyboard installed in my Amiga500.

On the bright side... This card makes my 500 around some 17 or so times faster. It has roughly 7 times faster CPU power of an Amiga1200, and double of an Amiga3000. Oh boy...
And the build in harddrive controller are just wonderfull. Transfers some 1.9 to 2.3 megabyte/second. Love it.
Then comes additional 2mb of ram and there is even an FPU on the board. Just awesomme....

IMG_20181025_010734988.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181025_010734988.jpg
File size
600.08 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10238 of 27486, by Amethyst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have successfully (so far) installed Windows XP on my old Dell. This required me buying an old OEM disc off of eBay but it was cheap and it's done the job. Finally I can unleash the pure POWER of my Pentium 4 and Radeon 9800Pro (it has to be good, it says Pro on it).

Kidding aside, absolutely overjoyed this is working, not had a lot of luck seeking out a good way to get XP Home Edition onto a computer and got my favourite Dell without an HDD so until now it's had Linux, which is great for everything except gaming on the thing. With Windows 10 becoming more and more of an arse about older things on my main system getting it going seemed more important. At the moment it's a fight to get service packs installed to get the thing online and updated. 😵

Reply 10239 of 27486, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
Tried and tested out my Terrible Fire TF-530 accelerator card these last few days. And found that I need to get a kickstart sock […]
Show full quote

Tried and tested out my Terrible Fire TF-530 accelerator card these last few days. And found that I need to get a kickstart socket relocator in order to have my cloanto dual-kickstart rom switcher installed. It is quite tall, and a few millimeters are in the way of the CPU relocator. I can install the card without the CPU-Relocator. Though doing that, will prevent me from having the keyboard installed in my Amiga500.

On the bright side... This card makes my 500 around some 17 or so times faster. It has roughly 7 times faster CPU power of an Amiga1200, and double of an Amiga3000. Oh boy...
And the build in harddrive controller are just wonderfull. Transfers some 1.9 to 2.3 megabyte/second. Love it.
Then comes additional 2mb of ram and there is even an FPU on the board. Just awesomme....

The attachment IMG_20181025_010734988.jpg is no longer available

Now that is a BEASTLY A500. And I thought mine was actually fast.. Wait, let me grab a screenshot as well..

ACA500Plus SYSINFO.jpg
Filename
ACA500Plus SYSINFO.jpg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license

It doesn't look even half as impressive next to yours, does it? I can't imagine how nice it must be to play Frontier or Grand Prix on that machine. Are you using WB 3.1 or 3.9?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.