VOGONS

Reply 11080 of 27334, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote:

Read carefully :p

(this image I found online so the specs don't match)

POST STATUS:
Reading & Comprehension: FAIL

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11081 of 27334, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote:

The VGA is on-board (chip) so it's not VLB

Is there any way to rule that out or to confirm that? I have a similar HP Vectra N2 4/66 (486 DX/2 66 CPU with 24 MB RAM). It has an integrated lightning-fast Cirrus Logic GD-5434 graphics controller. I know there are some ISA variants out there but the majority of 5434's I came across were VLB-variants. Additionally I wasn't able to reach the speed of the integrated GPU with an external card on the ISA bus ever again (see this comparison). Could it be that some of HP's Vectra series have an onboard VLB interface for the GPU?

Reply 11083 of 27334, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:
red_avatar wrote:

Is there any way to rule that out or to confirm that? I have a similar HP Vectra N2 4/66 (486 DX/2 66 CPU with 24 MB RAM). It has an integrated lightning-fast Cirrus Logic GD-5434 graphics controller. I know there are some ISA variants out there but the majority of 5434's I came across were VLB-variants. Additionally I wasn't able to reach the speed of the integrated GPU with an external card on the ISA bus ever again (see this comparison). Could it be that some of HP's Vectra series have an onboard VLB interface for the GPU?

You should test with external 5343 ISA card - like Speedstar64. Otherwise it wouldn't be all impossible for the internal VGA to be connected via VLB. Also test with Speedsys to get the KB/s for the onboard VGA card. If it's above 4MB/s it's most certainly on some other bus then ISA.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 11084 of 27334, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

You should test with external 5343 ISA card - like Speedstar64. Otherwise it wouldn't be all impossible for the internal VGA to be connected via VLB. Also test with Speedsys to get the KB/s for the onboard VGA card. If it's above 4MB/s it's most certainly on some other bus then ISA.

I wish I could but ISA 5434 cards are crazy rare and expensive. Also (my impression) Speedsys only arbitrarily offers information about the data transfer speed of video memory. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Depending on the GPU and the VESA extensions installed. Will have to have another look into the stock system configuration.

Reply 11085 of 27334, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Battling with a VIA C7 based Thin Client. It seems to have hardware issues.

Firstly the CPU overheats, which cleaning and applying new thermal paste doesn't cure. Secondly once I've gotten past the heat issue with the addition of a fan, system stability isn't great. DirectX games will freeze or cause BSODs in Windows XP and installing Graphics drivers in Windows 98 leads to a frozen black screen at boot.

I'm guessing failing capacitors are to blame for these issues, so I'm probably going to leave this mini project on the backburner for a while. Though I'm not ruling out bad RAM just yet, which I'm going to test before proceeding any further. As sometimes upon reboot it fails to POST with beep codes relating to the memory.

It uses a regular Mini ITX motherboard, so I'll probably end up replacing the motherboard. I notice a lot of cheap Atom based boards available would fit in this thin client case, whilst others would need some slight modifications for the ports in the back. But then I'd be verging further away from retro and more towards regular low powered emulation system.

Reply 11086 of 27334, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:
blurks wrote:
red_avatar wrote:

OK, it seems I have confirmation. 22.2 MByte data transfer speed for the onboard GD-5434 graphics adapter. Does that mean data transfer within video memory or data transfer over the bus to the video memory? Looks like onboard VLB, right? That would explain, why no ISA graphics adapter comes even close to the onboard GPU in terms of speed.

Attachments

• Vectra_N2.png
    Filename
    Vectra_N2.png
    File size
    5.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11087 of 27334, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This confirms it's not on the ISA bus.

If Speedsys doesn't show transfer results, you can use DrHard sysinfo program.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 11088 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Watching demo's all day. Technically yesterday. I found a nice collection of OCS demo's from 1987 to 1993.

Don't know if this applies to your setup, but interesting regardless and maybe helpful to you.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/02/flashfl … f-free-and.html

Reply 11089 of 27334, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Watching demo's all day. Technically yesterday. I found a nice collection of OCS demo's from 1987 to 1993.

Don't know if this applies to your setup, but interesting regardless and maybe helpful to you.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/02/flashfl … f-free-and.html

Good to know. But I am running real floppy disks on all of my computers. Except my C64. For that I have an SD2IEC that are cordless and plugs directly onto the back of the machine.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11090 of 27334, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

For the past week or so I've helped a local bowling center with computers that control the lanes - it's from 1995 and computers are based on 486 VLB boards. They had some problems with the power surges and some components got broken. It's good I have a lot of old stuff 😉 I'll post some photos of custom built wooden cases later 😁

That's something where a video would be really cool to watch.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11091 of 27334, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote:

Can't say W95 is slow on my P75 build.

Well you have to see it from the point of a retro gamer. I don't run Windows 95 just to have Windows 95 (especially since W95 still gives me nightmares) - if I do it, it's to have the benefit of having Windows 95 for running games. Fact is, many devs stuck with DOS for a few years longer so there aren't all that many Windows games that will run well on a Pentium 75. This PC was very expensive at the time (78.000 Belgian franks or almost €2000 in early 1996) yet a year later, it couldn't even run most Windows games at a decent pace because the CPU jumped very quickly from 60-75 to 133-166. For example, Magic the Gathering & Age of Empires will barely run and need 16MB of RAM and both games were released only a year later. Can you imagine forking over the equivalent of €3500 in today's money for a PC that won't even run games released next year? My mate really picked the worst time to buy his PC. Half a year after him, I bought a P166 MMX for €1500 with 32MB of memory.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 11092 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to turn on another one of my tall AT server towers today for testing and POP!!! Sparks, smoke and mayhem. Luckily no parts were attached to it at the time. Replaced the fuse. Nothing. Took the PSU apart and it looks like maybe a cap or two blew, but also the transformer smells of BBQ if you know what I mean. Kind of sucks as I can't find this model anywhere and it has long power cables for the tall case. Have any of you tried to rebuild a power supply before?

IMG-3255.jpg
Filename
IMG-3255.jpg
File size
677.33 KiB
Views
File license
IMG-3246.jpg
Filename
IMG-3246.jpg
File size
1011.94 KiB
Views
File license
IMG-3254.jpg
Filename
IMG-3254.jpg
File size
994.95 KiB
Views
File license
IMG-3247.jpg
Filename
IMG-3247.jpg
File size
1020.42 KiB
Views
File license
IMG-3253.jpg
Filename
IMG-3253.jpg
File size
1019.66 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 11094 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Glad to hear you survived. Surprise bad psu caps are my favorite!

Yeah, I contacted Digikey and we tried to get a matching transformer, but not enough info on the transformer for them. Maybe I'll try Enermax themselves and see if they have any recommendations. Not holding my breath. That transformer smells of electric death.

Reply 11095 of 27334, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then it's likely a mosfet died, and took the transformer with it.

It's going to be easier to just cram a new power supply inside that box than fix the old one.

Reply 11096 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never fixed or repaired a power supply a day in my life and the only way to fix the power supply for me was to buy a new one and an ATX-AT w/ -5VDC adapter to go along with the new ATX PSU or spares I have.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 11097 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Then it's likely a mosfet died, and took the transformer with it.

It's going to be easier to just cram a new power supply inside that box than fix the old one.

Yeah, of course another one those towers has the proper ATX PSU plate attachment on the back. If only this lot had some extra PSU plates for these cases. I may just sell the case as-is and some modder can screw with it.

Reply 11098 of 27334, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well new power supplies are just 12v supplies with a couple DC/DC buck converters for 3.3 and 5v.

It would be an interesting project to put something new in that giant power supply box.

Reply 11099 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Well new power supplies are just 12v supplies with a couple DC/DC buck converters for 3.3 and 5v.

It would be an interesting project to put something new in that giant power supply box.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

Problem solved:

potato power.jpg
Filename
potato power.jpg
File size
809.91 KiB
Views
File license