VOGONS

Reply 12140 of 27444, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Diagnosed the 3 GameBoy DMG-01 systems that were advertised as not working, as-is, and no power. The terminals have corrosion, however, the one had minimal corrosion on one set of terminals and the other ones looked pristine. I opened the one unit to look and see if there was any water damage or corrosion and I didn't see any on the main logic board, which was a good sign. I inserted batteries into 1 unit and moved onto the next, and they powered on, which is the good news, however, the screens need repairs: vertical lines on 1 unit (can be easily repaired), horizontal on 1 unit (might be hard, but, it's worth to attempt to fix it), and both horizontal and vertical on the other one.

I'm currently uploading a YouTube video at this time and I'll be posting it on here. Forgive the camera work, the camera I used had bad focus issues and turning on Macro closeups didn't work at all and my phone is currently charging and cannot be used a lot due to battery issues.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12142 of 27444, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote:

Rebuilding my 486.. new old stock Biostar MB-1433/50UCV-D v1.0, Intel 486DX2-66 (new old stock SX955 w/ writeback), ATI Mach64 ISA (new old stock), SoundBlaster Pro 2. Just need to find a more appropriate CD-ROM.

Very nice choice of components. Also like the case!

Reply 12144 of 27444, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorting the battery pack on my NEC PC-8201A. Not too much corrosion. Tooth paste polished up the pcb and traces quite nicely. Need to make some contacts up for the new rechargable batteries. The ones in the pack were soldered together with wire.

20190622_130601[1].jpg
Filename
20190622_130601[1].jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20190622_130502[1].jpg
Filename
20190622_130502[1].jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12145 of 27444, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got my retro rig sort of up and going (running and software-wise set up). The case I'd purchased for it ended up being too small to fit with this ThermalTake volcano CPU cooler, and I picked up an even larger Thermalright all copper Socket A heatsink to use with a 90mm fan so a new larger case will arrive tomorrow, along with a beefier PSU for 30A on each of the +3.3v and +5v rails just to be safe.

Also (I hope it's ok to post) contemplated how far things have come looking at the HWinfo screens from this retro rig, which is basically my dream machine from 2000 (I built my first new PC in late 2000 after saving up middle school janitor money all year), next to the current overkill rig.

Makes one wonder where we'll be in another 20 years.

nocaseretro.jpg
Filename
nocaseretro.jpg
File size
448.87 KiB
Views
File comment
retro PC without case
File license
old vs new.jpg
Filename
old vs new.jpg
File size
303.6 KiB
Views
File comment
2000 vs 2019
File license

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 12146 of 27444, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalm_traveler wrote:
Finally got my retro rig sort of up and going (running and software-wise set up). The case I'd purchased for it ended up being t […]
Show full quote

Finally got my retro rig sort of up and going (running and software-wise set up). The case I'd purchased for it ended up being too small to fit with this ThermalTake volcano CPU cooler, and I picked up an even larger Thermalright all copper Socket A heatsink to use with a 90mm fan so a new larger case will arrive tomorrow, along with a beefier PSU for 30A on each of the +3.3v and +5v rails just to be safe.

Also (I hope it's ok to post) contemplated how far things have come looking at the HWinfo screens from this retro rig, which is basically my dream machine from 2000 (I built my first new PC in late 2000 after saving up middle school janitor money all year), next to the current overkill rig.

Makes one wonder where we'll be in another 20 years.

nocaseretro.jpg
old vs new.jpg

Is everyone here rich? This guy has an $2,500 Titan RTX....... that's like 2 months pay for a lot of people where I live.
I feel like It's an uphill battle trying to compete with people with that kind of disposable income. I'm guessing it's people like this driving the
price for items like GeForce DDR's, RAGE FURY MaXX's, and Voodoo5500 to the point where only the ultra wealthy (or ultra lucky, most of my good finds have been mislisted) can afford to have the top items in what (IMO) is suppose to be a good poor mans hobby.

I mean more the power to people to spend their hard earned cash however they want because that IS how capitilism works but damn, I'm scared this hobby is going to go the same route as vintage console games did. I was forced out of that market by resellers effectively because I was no longer finding good games at thrift stores or thrown to the curb or at yard sales as they were all snatched up by resellers with too much time on their hands. It got to the point I just sold all my retro games and devoted the space to PC stuff.... which is now following the same trend.

Actually come to think of it, to a lesser degree my other hobby (which is collecting music on cassette) is seeing the same thing happen. Is it just impossible to have a cheap, niche hobby where even the lowest man on the todem pole can have the most sought after items in a world of everyone being connected via the internet to a massive market? It only takes one rich guy going "hey that sounds fun" and dropping $100's of dollars on $25 items on eBay to outbid everyone to start the whole process. In other words, is it no longer possible for supply to greatly outweigh demand.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12147 of 27444, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Is everyone here rich? This guy has an $2,500 Titan RTX....... that's like 2 months pay for a lot of people where I live. I feel […]
Show full quote

Is everyone here rich? This guy has an $2,500 Titan RTX....... that's like 2 months pay for a lot of people where I live.
I feel like It's an uphill battle trying to compete with people with that kind of disposable income.

Is it just impossible to have a cheap, niche hobby where even the lowest man on the todem pole can have the most sought after items in a world of everyone being connected via the internet to a massive market? It only takes one rich guy going "hey that sounds fun" and dropping $100's of dollars on $25 items on eBay to outbid everyone to start the whole process.

Every hobby is a luxury compared to necessities that we all pay for, and it's not about "competing", or getting the most desirable items. It's all just for fun.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12148 of 27444, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Depends where you live and what you do. $2500 about a week's worth of work for me. If you need material items or want to make more money, set goals and do it. I made $6/hr just 15 years ago. Sometimes moving to a place that offers better jobs or a higher standard of living is necessary to achieve your goals.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 12149 of 27444, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I'm guessing it's people like this driving the
price for items like GeForce DDR's, RAGE FURY MaXX's, and Voodoo5500 to the point where only the ultra wealthy (or ultra lucky, most of my good finds have been mislisted) can afford to have the top items in what (IMO) is suppose to be a good poor mans hobby.

To be honest, these are all pretty crappy items. Voodoo 5 5500 are actually pretty slow, being beaten easily by cheap geforce 2 mx's. And pretty unreliable. People try to compensate by building their voodoo 5 containing rigs up in other ways (1400mhz P3 CPU for example) just to try and extract good performance out of the damn thing. There are much better options. Rage fury MAXX were stupid when released, even more stupid now. And unreliable. As for Geforce DDR, again look at the geforce 2 mx as it's cheap replacement. I had one of the Geforce DDRs in the past, it wasn't really that special. Crashed all the time for me in linux.

One of the biggest issues is that the internet is really good at showing off the 1% of rarest and maybe coolest items for each hobby. It is the same in pretty much any hobby. Seeing people talk about voodoo 5 cards day in and out on forums like this really can cause you to feel like you are missing out, even if the hardware in question is of only marginal importance to the hobby overall. There probably isn't enough voodoo 5 cards to go around for everyone who wants one, which is sad, but something people into any hobby just have to learn to deal with.

I mean more the power to people to spend their hard earned cash however they want because that IS how capitilism works but damn, I'm scared this hobby is going to go the same route as vintage console games did. I was forced out of that market by resellers effectively because I was no longer finding good games at thrift stores or thrown to the curb or at yard sales as they were all snatched up by resellers with too much time on their hands. It got to the point I just sold all my retro games and devoted the space to PC stuff.... which is now following the same trend.

You were really forced out of the market because there were too many people wanting the games and not enough of the games about. Blaming the resellers isn't really productive, they are simply selling for what the market will pay. If people didn't buy them, the resellers would eventually be forced to lower their prices to meet the market.

Besides, vintage console gaming doesn't have to be solely about the hardware. Emulation for most of the real vintage systems is really pretty good for the most part.

Actually come to think of it, to a lesser degree my other hobby (which is collecting music on cassette) is seeing the same thing happen. Is it just impossible to have a cheap, niche hobby where even the lowest man on the todem pole can have the most sought after items in a world of everyone being connected via the internet to a massive market? It only takes one rich guy going "hey that sounds fun" and dropping $100's of dollars on $25 items on eBay to outbid everyone to start the whole process. In other words, is it no longer possible for supply to greatly outweigh demand.

This is the fate of any item that is no longer produced but still has ANY number of people interested in buying. Over time, the existing stock either gets destroyed or locked up into collections or otherwise out of circulation, and eventually supply dwindles until it meets demand and then demand ends up outstripping supply and the prices get driven up.

Edit: Yes, I am generally wrong about Geforce 2 MX vs Voodoo 5-5500, the Voodoo 5-5500 was faster. Substitute Geforce 4MX (one of the good ones, not a crap one) instead for a card that is cheap and will beat the Voodoo 5.

Last edited by canthearu on 2019-06-22, 04:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12150 of 27444, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Is everyone here rich? This guy has an $2,500 Titan RTX....... that's like 2 months pay for a lot of people where I live. I feel […]
Show full quote

I feel like It's an uphill battle trying to compete with people with that kind of disposable income.

Is it just impossible to have a cheap, niche hobby where even the lowest man on the todem pole can have the most sought after items in a world of everyone being connected via the internet to a massive market? It only takes one rich guy going "hey that sounds fun" and dropping $100's of dollars on $25 items on eBay to outbid everyone to start the whole process.

Every hobby is a luxury compared to necessities that we all pay for, and it's not about "competing", or getting the most desirable items. It's all just for fun.

agreed 100% 😀

I'm not rich btw, just well into adulthood and low on financial responsibilities thus far.

Also if we're being honest, I actually wasted quite a bit on getting this retro rig set up because I got click-happy on ebay and ended up buying overlapping parts that I need to put back up on there this weekend:
picked up a Quadro 4000 SDI initially, wanting to 'max out' a Windows 98SE/ME/2000 setup... then put offers on two Quadro 2 Pro cards and a Geforce 2 Ultra assuming that 2 or all 3 would be rejected, but all 3 accepted my lowball offers... (these were more year-accurate obviously)
bought an Aureal Vortex 2 from a seller who claimed to be in the USA but the card shipped from Russia and is still not in the USA after ~ 2.5 weeks, then realized I probably would rather have the SB Audigy 2 ZS anyway so I picked one of those up
bought a P3 1ghz initially but then decided this should be essentially the best rig I could have built in 2000 so 1.13ghz was the top at that time...
ended up with 4 SATA cards because I didn't realize the first one had no BIOS and was thus not bootable, 2nd one still won't boot even though it should work for hard drives, and the 3rd one is the same chip as the 2nd but actually works correctly, plus I picked up a brand new in box PCI-E card for $15 that supports booting from optical drives (should work in a PCI-E to PCI adapter)
two USB 2.0 cards because I was stupid and didn't check that the first one lacked a front panel header (initially was going to use a 3.0 to 2.0 header adapter for usable front panel ports but now I want functional 3.0 if possible, even if the speed is limited to PCI bus speeds). I ended up putting the 1st one in a Pentium III Dell workstation that I picked up at a thrift store for $20
two SSDs sort of... I bought a 250gb Crucial SSD initially wanting to partition it for dual booting, either 120gb each for Windows 2000 and ME(or 98SE if ME holds true to its unstable reputation), but thinking it was not working when I was using the 2nd SATA card I swapped in this Kingston 120gb SSD that I had just finished setting up for an XP laptop that I got for free from work (single core Pentium D 1.8ghz, 'upgraded' to 2gb RAM for $5, has some AMD Radeon 256mb dedicated card in it) so now I either need to clone this install over to the Crucial drive or just stick with it and maybe put that one in the laptop
3 PSUs - I picked up a cheap EVGA 550w unit for ~ $40 new, thinking that would be more than plenty before I learned about the shift in voltage focus from P4 era up where we are on mainly 12v now, but in the P3 era things ran mostly on 5v and 3.3v which modern PSUs don't have many amps on anymore. I tried a spare 450w since the 550w wasn't reliably getting the machine to boot up but it was the same, then trying a 400w no-name PSU from 2004 it booted up just fine every time and I realized the amperage focus change so I temporarily picked up a Corsair 650w unit from Best Buy just to confirm that amps on those lower rails was the issue (it has 25A on 3.3 and 5 volt rails) and it works fine so I'm returning it, going to sell the EVGA 550w as used, and replace them both with a refurb Corsair 1200w unit that has 30A on those lower rails
.... and finally cases. Picked up a seemingly-nice Corsair mid-tower case for $50 new, had the aforementioned fitment problem trying to install everything into it but I bought it through ebay from newegg so I'm not even sure that I can return it. May just keep it for a future project.... but anyway that non-fitment meant that I had to buy yet another dang case.

TLDR; is that if I had done my research and planned out exactly what I wanted to build before clicking "Buy It Now" too many times, I could have assembled the entire thing for around $350 including the more expensive (brand new) case, 1200w refurb PSU, etc. The CPUs were about $10 each, RAM is 'new' and I want to say $5 per stick or so, motherboard was about $45, sound card was $12, the graphics card I'm currently using (probably the keeper) was actually the most expensive retro part at ~ $90, could have saved quite a bit by buying a used IDE HDD and CD/DVD drive instead of new, etc.

Point is, yes it is just a "for fun" hobby, but you don't need to break the bank to have a good experience with it. I spent way too much because I didn't do my research first, and spent more than necessary for a fun retro build because I wanted certain 'best of X era' parts which are somewhat rare as well as some brand new parts for comfort (new decent case, newish PSU, SSD, etc). If you went full retro and didn't need to go for those 'best of year X' parts you could easily assemble a very decent Windows 9x gaming rig for probably $100-150.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 12151 of 27444, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I feel like It's an uphill battle trying to compete with people with that kind of disposable income. I'm guessing it's people like this driving the

Even before my fortunes reversed, spending $100 on a complete classic PC was a bit painful. Them's the breaks when you're a slave to the phone company, cheating you out of bonuses and promotions whenever they can.

I mean more the power to people to spend their hard earned cash however they want because that IS how capitalism works but damn, I'm scared this hobby is going to go the same route as vintage console games did. I was forced out of that market by resellers effectively because I was no longer finding good games at thrift stores or thrown to the curb or at yard sales as they were all snatched up by resellers with too much time on their hands. It got to the point I just sold all my retro games and devoted the space to PC stuff.... which is now following the same trend.

Like with classic games, going with real steel in classic computers is a fool's game, now. People with income levels multiple times that of the poverty level don't flinch when throwing money at whims, and the sellers see them as easy marks. Like they say in Romania, "if I don't cheat him, someone else will, and then I'm only cheating myself in the process". So prices keep rising to what the wealthy will tolerate paying. This is why Magical Chase for TurboGrafX 16 is $600. That's a stupid sum if you barely make $25k and even if you live as cheaply as possible. If you make say, $90k per year, what was 8 days' pay is now only a day and a half. Relatively, that would be like like buying a pretty good new motherboard for $170. Imagine now if you made $4M per year. Magical Chase, mint, sealed, would cost you twenty minutes of your time. You could buy three brand new Dodge Chargers for the same amount of time spent working to buy Magical Chase making $12 an hour. I'm probably over-complicating it, but you tend to make a lot of spreadsheets trying to stretch every dollar enough to be able to buy neat little distractions.

Actually come to think of it, to a lesser degree my other hobby (which is collecting music on cassette) is seeing the same thing happen. Is it just impossible to have a cheap, niche hobby where even the lowest man on the totem pole can have the most sought after items in a world of everyone being connected via the internet to a massive market? It only takes one rich guy going "hey that sounds fun" and dropping $100's of dollars on $25 items on eBay to outbid everyone to start the whole process. In other words, is it no longer possible for supply to greatly outweigh demand.

Correctamundo. The best time to start collecting vintage games and media was in the late 1990s, before everybody had an iPhone and instant access to ebay 24/7. Doesn't help when Youtube personalities drastically drive up demand by making a video about something they coincidentally cornered the market on, just last week. I bought a Sega 32X for $2 at a flea market. If it stopped working, and I have to buy another? $75, minimum.

I gave up on collecting electronics. Not that I was actually collecting games and computers, but restoring and preserving them. You can still sometimes find good deals, if you have a lot of free time, and a trustworthy vehicle to take you to estate sales and such, a distance from your home, but that's all down to luck.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12152 of 27444, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mister Xiado wrote:

Like with classic games, going with real steel in classic computers is a fool's game, now. People with income levels multiple times that of the poverty level don't flinch when throwing money at whims, and the sellers see them as easy marks. Like they say in Romania, "if I don't cheat him, someone else will, and then I'm only cheating myself in the process". So prices keep rising to what the wealthy will tolerate paying. This is why Magical Chase for TurboGrafX 16 is $600. That's a stupid sum if you barely make $25k and even if you live as cheaply as possible. If you make say, $90k per year, what was 8 days' pay is now only a day and a half. Relatively, that would be like like buying a pretty good new motherboard for $170. Imagine now if you made $4M per year. Magical Chase, mint, sealed, would cost you twenty minutes of your time. You could buy three brand new Dodge Chargers for the same amount of time spent working to buy Magical Chase making $12 an hour. I'm probably over-complicating it, but you tend to make a lot of spreadsheets trying to stretch every dollar enough to be able to buy neat little distractions.

Geeze, negative much. I disagree, it isn't so hard to do retro computing relatively cheaply, but it does take time, it takes networking with other people, and in the end, it takes compromise. If you expect every rare item to be listed on ebay cheaply all in a line for you to buy and have delivered to you on a silver platter, then your expectations are greatly misaligned with reality.

You speak about needing luck, and I kind of agree. But you also need to take as many opportunities as possible to make that luck expose itself. Cheap untested or non-working PC on gumtree (or other local classifieds), maybe grab it. It probably has some working parts at least, and maybe you could repair parts that are not working properly.

Reply 12153 of 27444, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Show full quote

I actually enjoying finding ways to make things work rather than collecting stuff (although I enjoy interesting bits of gear when they fall my way). If you're not worried about being period correct or are willing to emulate where appropriate, you can still have a lot of fun for cheap.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12154 of 27444, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also there's a big difference in collecting vs enjoying a hobby: collecting needs money, rare items cost and that's why they're called collectibles. Enjoying the retro-computing hobby though can be cheap enough for everyone.

Reply 12155 of 27444, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just finished assembling and installing 95B with all drivers, now just installing software. System is:

- Pentium 100
- Asus TX97-E (I have the VX version but already had this mounted in the case
- 16MB 2x8MB EDO -60
- ATI Rage II 2MB (I have a S3 Trio64V2/DX but it's only 1MB
- Seagate 40GB 7200 IDE (New)
- Creative Labs 2940 w/Yamaha OPL3
- SMC Ether16 8416 10/100 Network ISA Card
- LG 52x IDE CD-Rom
- EVGA 450W Bronze PSU, extreme overkill, but 1) it'll never die, and 2) it's dead silent
- Windows 95B OSR2.0

Sound on this thing is amazing! Windows 95B is running snappy, over all the OS install and Driver installations went smooth, which was odd. I tried running Quake last night, and @ 340/220 it's smooth as butter. But... as soon as I try 640x480 it's "playable" but definitely not enjoyable. I assume if I dropped in a P200MMX it'd be ok but I'll keep this in the year 1996 for now (yes... evga and seagate were kind enough to deliver the new PSU and HD to 1996 for me) 😁 )

It's a mess, I know, but cable management I'll do another day. Just having fun with it now. If I can find another 1mb, I plan to ue the S3 Trio64 instead, and I'm looking for a K5 CPU, so if anyone has one and wants to trade for numerous P1/MMX cpu's I have, let me know 😀

I have it mounted in an AT generic beige case. I'm not sure if this board has the mounting holes for the ATX cases, I haven't checked, but if it does I may just stick this in a newer case for better cable management and colling.

IMG_20190622_110525.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190622_110525.jpg
File size
300.36 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12156 of 27444, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote:

Geeze, negative much. I disagree, it isn't so hard to do retro computing relatively cheaply, but it does take time, it takes networking with other people, and in the end, it takes compromise. If you expect every rare item to be listed on ebay cheaply all in a line for you to buy and have delivered to you on a silver platter, then your expectations are greatly misaligned with reality.

Not at all what I was talking about. I'm saying that it is nearly impossible to get specific items for a good price unless practically nobody is aware of what they are. Or you just happen to live near where people don't care about the item, and they're common. Like how it's much easier to get Sony PVMs in California, than it is to do so say, in Illinois. The first time someone pays idiot money for an item, everyone else adjusts their asking prices immediately, and reject offers of the old typical selling price. Worse still is the constant destruction of legacy hardware, making it harder still to get items without paying 70%+ of the price in shipping costs. God help you if you live in Europe and want to import something. The auction price of the item may only be 20% of what you end up paying.

You speak about needing luck, and I kind of agree. But you also need to take as many opportunities as possible to make that luck expose itself. Cheap untested or non-working PC on gumtree (or other local classifieds), maybe grab it. It probably has some working parts at least, and maybe you could repair parts that are not working properly.

In the past eight years, I have found no classic computers or parts usable in them at any of the nearly sixty thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, and standalone thrifts) I've been to multiple times, often on semi-regular sojourns across the state in a planned loop. The last classic computer on Craigslist in my area was a Commodore 64 that seemed to have been fried by its stupidly-engineered power supply, for $200+. I acquired two classic towers, a stripped 486 33, and a semi-functional Pentium 60 system, for $20 each through pure luck. I randomly decided to stop at a yard sale in the intestines of an upscale housing development on a pure whim, and was offered the two computers, internals unknown, for $20 each. If I wanted to get them online, the price varies, but for something similar to what I already have, they start at $200, with nearly as much for shipping, being steel monoliths. People selling "computers" on CL or in classifieds tend to be selling useless Dell computers from 2007 and up.

konc wrote:

Also there's a big difference in collecting vs enjoying a hobby: collecting needs money, rare items cost and that's why they're called collectibles. Enjoying the retro-computing hobby though can be cheap enough for everyone.

1 MB ISA video cards aren't rare, so to speak, but they still cost 5-6 times what a 512kB card costs, and seem to be located primarily in Israel and Poland for some reason. The price spike happened after the 2007 paradigm shift, at least comparing the relative prices of what I bought twenty years ago, and what they costs now, compared to less niche artifacts. There's a value curve in legacy items that starts high, then descends gradually before declining sharply. This pit is where you can find stuff like processors and RAM for the price of lunch at a sub shop. Then comes the "retro" (a term that has been wrongly conflated with classic) e-celebs, who drive up the nerd-cred of having a particular item. Want a Nintendo Entertainment System or a Packard Bell Legend 300, because you had those things as a kid, and you want to wrap yourself up in nostalgia? By all means, do so. Being happy is important. Just get them before the price spikes. Super Retro Gametech Bro isn't going to wait forever to release his Top 10 Retro Computers That Will Blow Your Minds video. His eight thousand regular viewers will be scouring ebay and craigslist nationwide to find everything he talked about, and alternates mentioned in the video's comments. Then the price spikes to "forget this" levels. Yeah, you want an IBM Model M, but you don't ninety dollars want one, especially after you managed to get a few for like $10 without thinking they were special. The price almost never sees a second decline after the spike.

If you're going to get into classic computers, know what you want, and be prepared to spend more than you're comfortable with spending. If you're getting into classic games, and you must have the original hardware, do it as soon as possible, and remember that flash carts and optical drive emulators are a thing.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12158 of 27444, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Broke out the soldering iron this evening. Three to-dos:

- My STB Velocity 4400 (the first nVidia TNT card) lost an SMD cap due to my clumsiness. It now has its cap back and is in full working order 😀
- The wire piggy-backing a new battery onto a Dallas DS1387 RTC RAMified broke off. It's back on again, with a tie-wrap taking any future strains on the wire, so should stay good now.
- Someone wanted to buy a PCI sound card I had listed on Amibay - but only if I added the MIDI daughterboard header. Sure, easy enough and good practice for some bigger soldering projects I really need to get around to (that Snark Barker...).

Before:
full.jpg

After:
full.jpg

Tested and it works like a dream 😀

Reply 12159 of 27444, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was a nice day, so I cut a hole in my Voodoo 5 Shuttle case to add a mesh window, added a handle, and painted it.

djlpm35h.jpg

CrZiTLhh.jpg

jHrUdDyh.jpg

YTspWtlh.jpg

xhJY7Woh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals