VOGONS

Reply 2020 of 27521, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always remembered a prehistoric platformer as the first proper game I played on a PC. It was back in my elementary school, in the computer lab (then filled with 386s), and I remember never getting past the first or second stages (not that we had a lot of time to play, we were usually somewhat busy learning about directories or inside Windows 3.11 learning about Word or PowerPoint). Yesterday I decided to look into it and found out there were two games (prehistorik and prehistorik 2) that could be that game. Turns out it was Prehistorik 2 (I VIVIDLY remember the first cave you could go in with the spiders) and it is on GOG... So guess what happened xD

Reply 2022 of 27521, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been quite busy...

Produced a shoot-out video comparing DreamBlaster X1 vs Roland vs Yamaha
Benchmarked TNT2, TNT2 Pro and TNT2 Ultra under Windows 98
Started playing with the MIST FPGA computer
Produced a Retro News video for September. This might become a monthly thing
Played some System Shock on my main desktop and on a Celeron 300 in DOS

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2024 of 27521, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:
IMAG0226.JPG

Just playing around with bootable CDs using PLOP boot manager on my 386.

I have never gotten any boot managers to work with bootable CDs on my 486 box

PLOP 5.0.13 works very nicely on my 386DX25 and all my 486 systems. It was a chap mucking around with his system on vcf who put me on to it. Sure beats creating individual boot floppies for each cd.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2025 of 27521, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Caluser2000, could you please tell us more about this boot manager? How do you go about installing it and is there anything to look out for?

Thanks

Reply 2026 of 27521, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today, together with a few friends of mine, I've managed to finally make coming back to life my 'new' IBM ThinkPad 370C - now I can continue my search for the huge Docking I with internal ISA slot...

Reply 2027 of 27521, by diyhw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had tried to upgrade i486DX2 /66 cpu on my old ISA mainboard FIC-486-VC-HD Socket1 with Amd 5x86 /133 CPU + OC ....
(Cpu Fan installed too, not on picture)
Works great and stable. Forcing CPU L1 WT cache to WB mode was huge difference here on this setup...
(L2 is off, only 20ns, not working with fastest timming...)

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Filename
    Image3.jpg
    File size
    1.05 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2028 of 27521, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Indrid Cold wrote:

Today, together with a few friends of mine, I've managed to finally make coming back to life my 'new' IBM ThinkPad 370C - now I can continue my search for the huge Docking I with internal ISA slot...

I really need one of these for my Tecra. I do know of a supplier that had one but it's expensive so I'm waiting for one to come up cheap. Either that or I need to make some more money...

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2029 of 27521, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
diyhw wrote:

I had tried to upgrade i486DX2 /66 cpu on my old ISA mainboard FIC-486-VC-HD Socket1 with Amd 5x86 /133 CPU + OC

Nice OC hack! Where did you find info for the rewiring?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2030 of 27521, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
diyhw wrote:
I had tried to upgrade i486DX2 /66 cpu on my old ISA mainboard FIC-486-VC-HD Socket1 with Amd 5x86 /133 CPU + OC .... (Cpu Fa […]
Show full quote

I had tried to upgrade i486DX2 /66 cpu on my old ISA mainboard FIC-486-VC-HD Socket1 with Amd 5x86 /133 CPU + OC ....
Works great and stable. Forcing CPU L1 WT cache to WB mode was huge difference here on this setup...

OK, THAT is impressive!

What about the voltage? This is a 5V mainboard, the 5x86 is 3.3V...

I'm running the same mainboard with a lowly DX33, seems more authentic to me.

Reply 2031 of 27521, by diyhw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:
diyhw wrote:

I had tried to upgrade i486DX2 /66 cpu on my old ISA mainboard FIC-486-VC-HD Socket1 with Amd 5x86 /133 CPU + OC

Nice OC hack! Where did you find info for the rewiring?

Thanks, I found infos here ... http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/amd5x86.htm
and pinout for 486DX here ... http://ps-2.kev009.com/eprmhtml/eprmx/pic/486proc.gif

Last edited by diyhw on 2015-09-28, 18:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2032 of 27521, by diyhw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oerk wrote:
OK, THAT is impressive! […]
Show full quote
diyhw wrote:
I had tried to upgrade i486DX2 /66 cpu on my old ISA mainboard FIC-486-VC-HD Socket1 with Amd 5x86 /133 CPU + OC .... (Cpu Fa […]
Show full quote

OK, THAT is impressive!

What about the voltage? This is a 5V mainboard, the 5x86 is 3.3V...

I'm running the same mainboard with a lowly DX33, seems more authentic to me.

Yes, I found somewhere some threads, that Amd 5x86/133 ADW is " 5V" tollerant.
First I was intendet to build diy 3,45 V voltage regulator on mainboard self, but after measuring with multimeter I found, that 5V VCC traces are "hidden" between PCB layers...
I know, that socket kit for 5x86 w. regulator exist, but I like more adrenaline... 😀
I have some cheap 72W peltier elements, I going to test 4x50 mod overclocking, what happens ...

Reply 2034 of 27521, by diyhw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oerk wrote:

Thanks! That's really interesting. Though I would be skeptical about that massive overvoltage regarding the CPUs lifespan.

Let us know how the 4x50 overclock works out.

Unfortunately, OC to 4x50 MHz with 72w peltier was very unstable on my 5x86 CPU, temp. was bit below C° .
Only with L1 - off was able to boot into MS-DOS....
Thanks God CPU not died.

BTW, Had someone tried to build adjustable TTL oscillator for mobo? Or it´s an bad idea?

Reply 2035 of 27521, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Started work on refurbishing a Linksys Wireless G router for use as a network bridge to my retro pc's. I only have one wireless nic and decided it would be nice to have the two systems able to network locally even if they aren't linking to my primary system in the living room. I loaded up DD-WRT to replace the stock firmware and installed an old Intel PRO 100+ in my XPS system. I'll probably do the final setup in a couple days.
Next step will likely be to source an Alacritech Accelerator NIC for testing. I want to see if full TCP offload is a decent performance boost for older systems. The XPS system typically sits at between 10 to 20 percent CPU load using a wireless pci card, for example.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 2036 of 27521, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday I tried to build a ~1996-97 Windows 95 PC using a 430HX motherboard w/ Pentium 200MHz MMX. In retrospect that time period was really exciting for me, yet there was a lot going on with the 3D revolution that I couldn't really get in on. I'm in the mood to play games from that time - some that I never finished, and some that I've never played at all.

Made the Win95 driver floppy for an Intel 82558 PCI card, but it wouldn't actually work. It installs and sees the card, but then it just tells me the device isn't working properly.
Could not hook up a PS/2 mouse because my mouse bracket does not have the same pinout as the motherboard.

I just recently bought a Diamond 3D Monster card, which I was intrigued by back then but couldn't consider paying for. I wanted it for this build. Got frustrated with nothing working on Windows 95, and the Diamond driver CD required a mouse to install so I hit a dead end.
I decided to install Windows 98 so I could at least confirm if this card works.
Windows 98 made some things easier, but I still wasn't able to get the Voodoo card to actually do anything other than be detected in the control panel. Realized I don't know what I'm doing with Voodoo cards, I've never used one before. Stumbled around and got frustrated. Realized the motherboard's PS/2 and USB headers both have strange pinouts that I cannot use with my brackets. My sparse documentation for the board (FIC PT-2200) doesn't explain the pinout.
Thought about using my Tyan Super-7 board from ~1999 w/ AGP and headers that I can actually plug things into. Don't like the anachronistic-ness of that though.

Found mention of a Tomb Raider 3Dfx demo for MSDOS that apparently programs the Voodoo card directly without needing any drivers or other nonsense. Should serve as the simplest possible test that my ignorance can't possibly screw up. If that doesn't work I'll probably make a thread.

Reply 2037 of 27521, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:

Found mention of a Tomb Raider 3Dfx demo for MSDOS that apparently programs the Voodoo card directly without needing any drivers or other nonsense. Should serve as the simplest possible test that my ignorance can't possibly screw up. If that doesn't work I'll probably make a thread.

That's how I test V1 cards too 😀

Move it to all the PCI slots before declaring it non working.

Once working under DOS you need to do 2 things in Windows 98:

- Install a 3dfx graphics driver
- Install DirectX (Version 6 or 7 is recommended)

Reply 2038 of 27521, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@shamino: Try the OLDEST Diamond Windows drivers you can find first. Those usually work for me, even non-Diamond cards. You can install a newer driver after that and it should still work.

I'm using GLQuake for testing in Windows.

Reply 2039 of 27521, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use Unreal to test the card as it's a native Glide game. The GOG version runs from a folder / network share, so it's a quick test.