misterdrill2.jpg
File size
264.3 KiB
Views
File comment
Ancient drill takes on a concrete floor
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My drill has been here for the best part of a century, possibly more. I don't know, it was cheap, I've had it for ages and it drills holes in things regardless of whether I have electricity or not. In short, it does what it is supposed to do, so putting a few screw holes in the floor, ceiling and wall was a pretty easy task.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2741 of 27685, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:
Does this count? […]
Show full quote

Does this count?

misterdrill1.jpg
misterdrill2.jpg

My drill has been here for the best part of a century, possibly more. I don't know, it was cheap, I've had it for ages and it drills holes in things regardless of whether I have electricity or not. In short, it does what it is supposed to do, so putting a few screw holes in the floor, ceiling and wall was a pretty easy task.

Count's double up... Doing woodwork with a retro tool.
I remember that I was introduced to that type of tool, when I had woodwork in primaery school.
Kind of like somewere in the mid-80's or something like that.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2742 of 27685, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a peculiar device.

vlcsnap-2016-01-21-21h47m47s220.jpg
Filename
vlcsnap-2016-01-21-21h47m47s220.jpg
File size
431.97 KiB
Views
File comment
Strange contraption...
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Stranger still, it actually seems to work. Now I know it doesn't cook things, I think I might try plugging it into my ABIT PS5 and if it boots, perhaps I will have to track down a Socket 5 OverDrive MMX because that would just be totally unnecessary.

It does not appear to work with a K5 on this board, which is a shame as I would have had to laugh if I could boot an Intel Batman board with a K5 in the socket, that would be a huge middle finger to Intel.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2743 of 27685, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

What a peculiar device.

Deserving of its own thread methinks. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2744 of 27685, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just enjoing the OPL3 emulation of the SiS 7018. 🤣
https://youtu.be/bsPFH_uUci8

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2745 of 27685, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Luckly the SiS 7018 supports MPU-401 emulation under bare DOS, just beware that the chipset also exposes its external MPU-401 interface, and you can set them to different ports and use them at the same time.

Reply 2747 of 27685, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im trying to use a 20 year old HP 2x CD-RW disc with a Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD-RW... Not a great success so far, the Samsung drive really really wants to burn the disc at 48x speed which the disc of course cant handle... Perhaps if I do the full wipe 10 times in a row first...

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2748 of 27685, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Set up my 5150 with all the bells and whistles:

https://twitter.com/RetroSwimAU/status/690576155863199744

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2749 of 27685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

Im trying to use a 20 year old HP 2x CD-RW disc with a Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD-RW... Not a great success so far, the Samsung drive really really wants to burn the disc at 48x speed which the disc of course cant handle... Perhaps if I do the full wipe 10 times in a row first...

Maybe you need a retro burner along with retro burning software? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2750 of 27685, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

That would probably help. I just found another CD-RW disc marked "High Speed", perhaps it will work better.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 2751 of 27685, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IT WORKED!

Well, I'm developing my Arduino PS/2 keyboard emulator in two fronts, and made advancements in both:

• Serial communication->PS2 - I started rewritting the desktop application that sends keystrokes, and through using the WH_KEYBOARD_LL hook I am able to block most keyboard input whenever my window has focus. The Ctrl+Alt+Del combination of course doesn't work (one could remap Win+Alt+Del or something to send it), but also some special keys from my keyboard seem to bypass everything and do what they are configured to do in Microsoft's app regardless of what I do.
  • PS/2->USB - My USB host shield arrived and communicating a keyboard with the Arduino is very simple - the existing libraries are very easy to use and more than sufficient for what I wanna do. It was so easy to use that the part that took me longer to do was to create a translation table between the HID scan codes and the key constants I'm using in my code.

Now I need to decide if I want to pursue the first front any further or just focus on the USB->PS2 converter. Also, I need to improve the PS2 library to implement the full keyboard command set and start coding the mouse support (and check to see if the Arduino is powerful enough to do everything at once). After PS2 keyboard and mouse are properly emulated I might get a MAX232 chip (or shield for convenience) and code a serial mouse emulator and switch between them with a jumper.... Oh well, I'm getting ahead of myself... gotta take one step at a time.

Reply 2752 of 27685, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

That would probably help. I just found another CD-RW disc marked "High Speed", perhaps it will work better.

OR just... go download a copy of ImgBurn, 100% free program, no adware either. And it has a little drop-down combo box where you can manually specify the burn speed, all the way from 2x - 48x.

Reply 2753 of 27685, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

OR just... go download a copy of ImgBurn, 100% free program, no adware either. And it has a little drop-down combo box where you can manually specify the burn speed, all the way from 2x - 48x.

That was not the issue, Im using CDburnerXP which lets you override the speed. The burn failed more or less at once at any other speed than the one the Samsung DVD-RW suggested (48x) which in turn produced an unreadable disc. With the other CD-RW disc the drive suggested 10x speed and everything seems to work just fine.

Reply 2754 of 27685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:

^This

Great program, been using it for years now!

Report spammers here!

Reply 2755 of 27685, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
kithylin wrote:

^This

Great program, been using it for years now!

I use CDburnerXP just because it's the program I install on other peoples machines, its mostly idiot proof. 😀

Reply 2756 of 27685, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Luckly the SiS 7018 supports MPU-401 emulation under bare DOS, just beware that the chipset also exposes its external MPU-401 interface, and you can set them to different ports and use them at the same time.

I can't get the MPU-401 emulation working. Think I had it working for some time ago, maybe I used another version of the DOS driver.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2757 of 27685, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

I use CDburnerXP just because it's the program I install on other peoples machines, its mostly idiot proof. 😀

Actually, this was my main burner program before I switched to 7 (I used CDBurnerXP on my XP main rig for years prior to getting my Phenom II BE rig) and of course this was one of the first programs I installed, but of course it had changed over the years and I didn't like it anymore, so I tried ImgBurn and I never looked back.

That doesn't mean CDBurnerXP is inferior or anything (it's served me great for years), but ImgBurn has my preference right now 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 2758 of 27685, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kamerat wrote:

I can't get the MPU-401 emulation working. Think I had it working for some time ago, maybe I used another version of the DOS driver.

I don't remember having any issues with it - just be sure to NOT use the same address as the real external MPU-401 interface set in BIOS (at least for my PCChips M810LR re 8.0).