VOGONS

Reply 3600 of 27549, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to follow this guide:

http://sbfmdrv.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/retrof … nto-old-pc.html

I've successfully created my 256KiB BIN file, burned it with FLASHROM on a PCI 3COM adapter, and verified. However, I'm banging my head against the wall because I'm in unfamiliar territory and I don't know if the file I actually created is "valid" to boot anything, since it freezes any computer I try it in. I went so far as to plug in the EEPROM (?) chip into the PCI 3COM adapter when the computer was on, then read verified it with FLASHROM again, and it was good. It just wont work in any ISA cards as looked at as in working condition. Chip isn't dead, can be read and verified, but I guess the BIN file isn't correct or good?

Meh.

Updated: The first chip I used is now no longer reflashable and is in an "unknown state". So I'm wondering if the socket adapter actually doesn't work and kills the chip. And yes, I've tripled checked how I've created the socket adapter and how it is inserted.

Last edited by dogchainx on 2016-05-03, 05:18. Edited 1 time in total.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 3601 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never once gotten a machine to see the XT-IDE BIOS in any way at all, so I'm honestly starting to think that whole project is a dud. I can't even get a machine to crash, it's literally like the thing isn't there at all, weird, considering I got a SCSI BIOS to work in one of the same systems that was unable to see the XT-IDE ROM. Who knows, maybe I just happen to own a whole bunch of systems that don't like it for whatever reason and the T3200 can be written off as that whole thing is just weird anyway.

I'll be watching for you finding a solution.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3602 of 27549, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

I've never once gotten a machine to see the XT-IDE BIOS in any way at all, so I'm honestly starting to think that whole project is a dud. I can't even get a machine to crash, it's literally like the thing isn't there at all, weird, considering I got a SCSI BIOS to work in one of the same systems that was unable to see the XT-IDE ROM. Who knows, maybe I just happen to own a whole bunch of systems that don't like it for whatever reason and the T3200 can be written off as that whole thing is just weird anyway.

I'll be watching for you finding a solution.

Now it works...

I could NOT get it to work using his commands in OpenSUSE (and i am NOT a linux guy, so i'm probably at fault here). Using his exact files, the XTIDE ROM would NOT WORK. He used 12KB ide_atl.bin file, then buffered it to 16KB with I think blank space, then kept doubling it until 256KB. But not even the adapter saw anything in the boot socket.

This is how I got it to work....I used the 8KB ide_at.bin file instead and used DOS commands. Using the DOS TYPE command and the 8KB ide_AT.bin file to create my buffered 256KB file (8KB+8KB -> 16KB, then 16KB+16KB ->32KB, etc to a 256KB file), I FLASHROM'd it with a 3COM PCI ethernet card, then used his schematics for bridging pins. I then placed it in a pre-configured Kingston KNE-2031+ ISA board and booted my 486 an 386 systems, both working the first time.

BTW, this is with the original EPROM that I thought was dead. It works just fine being flashed with my file that i created in DOS. So the modification didn't kill the chip.

NOT an elegant solution, however I have over 30 of these 32-pin ROMS just laying here, so might as well use them! 😎

Reply 3604 of 27549, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Have been experimenting with XTIDE too. Made a socket and FlashROM that let me switch between XT and AT mode. This should allow me to boot on most ISA mainboards for test purposes. Working fine so far.

Attachments

• duo.jpg
    Filename
    duo.jpg
    File size
    137.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • xtide_on_29f001.jpg
    Filename
    xtide_on_29f001.jpg
    File size
    208.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1+1=10

Reply 3605 of 27549, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's awesome! Nifty little trick if you need the XT mode.

Reply 3606 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh, I wonder why none of mine have worked, especially given that is the model of LAN card I attempted it with on one system and it seems I tried pretty much the exact same procedure. Good to see you guys got yours to work.

I've only just woken up, but today I'm probably going to mess about with some video editing and synthesizers.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3607 of 27549, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

Made in Japan?

I've noticed a trend with my last working drives- namely all Mitsumi, Panasonic, Teac, Sony and Pioneer - they were all made in Japan. Therefore, the available data would suggest that for whatever reason, they make the best drives. As a result, I will only buy Japanese drives from now on. I don't own any Yamaha branded ones though, so I've no idea how good theirs were.

Add Hitachi to the list. I have a Hitachi CDR-8335 (24x) that is quiet, fast and reliable. I love the plain beige faceplate that will match perfectly any beige case (no logos, etc on the face).

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3608 of 27549, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put a Santa Cruz in my athlon xp box to give it 3d sound in Ultimate Race Pro. Now has 3 sound cards -MX300 + SCB-7, Yamaha SP-724, Santa Cruz. Was a bit surprised this worked; I only have one DOS/SBPro emulation doodah enabled at a time.

Found I could just copy the gog version Planescape Torment folder from my Windows 10 machine to here, and just needed to change folder settings in torment.ini to make it work. Santa Cruz gives me EAX. Nice.

And found Warcraft 3 ran with all video setttings on high at 1024x768. Last time I tried Warcraft 3 with a Voodoo5 I thought I'd had to turn things down and run at 800x600; that was on a dual P3 933 machine running 2000. I guess a lot of processing is being done my the cpu. Didn't look too bad considering it's a dx8.1 game running on a voodoo, will have to compare to a Ti4 or FX some time.

Reply 3609 of 27549, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Played a bit with my 486dx33 and found that it was just as I wanted it.
Closed the case and put it back on the shelf.
Then I started to install my P166 machine, the one were the mobo died, and messed around with the hardware.
As the mobo died, I now have to build a complete different machine. 🙁 The old one was so cool.... 🙁 🙁
Swapped the AWE64 Gold with my AWE32 CT-3900, and installed extended fdisk.
Sat up two partition's, one for MS-Dos-6.22 and one for Win98se.
Did not think ahead, as I want Os/2 warp on this too. Need to delete the Win98se partition and set one
extra up with Warp and then make a final one for 98. Must be a job for tomorrow. Bedtime now.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3611 of 27549, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought Tie Fighter CD on sale at GOG, burned an install CD, and played about 30 minutes of the training course. Got to level 9 before giving up the ghost. I must say, 640x480 makes a big difference over the floppy version that I already own.

Reply 3612 of 27549, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Bought Tie Fighter CD on sale at GOG, burned an install CD, and played about 30 minutes of the training course. Got to level 9 before giving up the ghost. I must say, 640x480 makes a big difference over the floppy version that I already own.

I bought that blaster pack and also Shadow of The Empire 😀

It pays to wait for sales 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3613 of 27549, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, up until 2 minutes ago I had steadfastly refused to engage in all this GOG nonsense, instead sticking to my collection of CDROMs. But that's just too good a deal to ignore, especially because I've never actually played my copy of X-Wing Alliance because it refused to work on anything other than Windows 98. Time to dredge up from the depths of my memory all those shortcut keys for shield/laser power levels! H for hyperspace!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3614 of 27549, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GOG gives you PDFS of all those reference cards. 😉 With my setup, I have DOS and XP shared via KVM. I have the reference card/walkthru up on XP, then switch back and forth as needed while playing on the DOS machine.

Yes, GOG sales are great. I'm down to 29 games on my wishlist. Slowly buying them as they go on sale.

Reply 3615 of 27549, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested my new Super Socket 7 Motherboard and CPU that arrived this morning. Happy to say it booted up instantly. Had 2 sticks of 64mb Toshiba for 128mb and popped the V3 3000 in. Board was a bit dirty, but nothing a child's paint brush and a can of compressed air couldn't fix.

It's an Asus P5A Rev 1.06 with a K6-2 500mhz

I watched Phils video on his 4in1 SS7 build and it sounds really interesting. Going to look for a K6 2+ or 3+ chip to put in. Want to get a nice ISA sound card to put it, Any suggestions? I was thinking of going Compact Flash for the storage. I have a Diamond 60gig 7200rpm drive but it is sooo noisy.

20160505_141715_2.jpg

SUCCESS!!

20160505_141647.jpg

Reply 3616 of 27549, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright,today i start making my 754 A64 build... on this freaky mobo called "G0AL3+"

vgL9Dfdl.jpg b7Fc1LZl.jpg

In process i found that onboard audio is dead and also decide finally test Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 (godly card tho).

wQec7YCl.png

So im only wating for better psu so i can drop mine 6800GS in,and yes i saw pci-e connects through agp bus.

My ClawHammertime has come! 🤣

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 3617 of 27549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rein_ein wrote:
Alright,today i start making my 754 A64 build... on this freaky mobo called "G0AL3+" […]
Show full quote

Alright,today i start making my 754 A64 build... on this freaky mobo called "G0AL3+"

<snip>
In process i found that onboard audio is dead and also decide finally test Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 (godly card tho).

<snip>

So im only wating for better psu so i can drop mine 6800GS in,and yes i saw pci-e connects through agp bus.

My ClawHammertime has come! 🤣

I wanted to mention that I have a AMD socket 754 motherboard in the other room that.. the seller said "Onboard audio no work" so he listed it cheap @ $18. But what I found out is just have to install two jumpers for the front-panel audio connector. And unless those jumpers are installed, no sound will be output on the rear I/O audio connector for onboard audio. Once I installed the jumpers and booted up, the rear audio jacks worked and onboard audio indeed worked great. So.. here's a little info for you.

cpx110p4.gif

In this diagram, Figure(1) shows the front panel audio header with no jumpers, some newer motherboards (later than 754) work on rear panel connectors with this empty. But my 754 board does not.

If you see Figure(2) in the above diagram, (I know it says in this diagram "remove jumper" but we'll actually be doing the opposite and installing jumpers) this is how jumpers needed to be installed for rear audio jacks to work, at least for my system.

If your 754 system's front panel audio jack is empty of jumpers, try putting two on like this and see if it makes onboard audio work for you.

Reply 3618 of 27549, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bancho wrote:
Tested my new Super Socket 7 Motherboard and CPU that arrived this morning. Happy to say it booted up instantly. Had 2 sticks of […]
Show full quote

Tested my new Super Socket 7 Motherboard and CPU that arrived this morning. Happy to say it booted up instantly. Had 2 sticks of 64mb Toshiba for 128mb and popped the V3 3000 in. Board was a bit dirty, but nothing a child's paint brush and a can of compressed air couldn't fix.

It's an Asus P5A Rev 1.06 with a K6-2 500mhz

I watched Phils video on his 4in1 SS7 build and it sounds really interesting. Going to look for a K6 2+ or 3+ chip to put in. Want to get a nice ISA sound card to put it, Any suggestions? I was thinking of going Compact Flash for the storage. I have a Diamond 60gig 7200rpm drive but it is sooo noisy.

20160505_141715_2.jpg

SUCCESS!!

20160505_141647.jpg

Cool. Allways nice to see old hardware running. Have you considered using a SATA harddrive with a converter?
If you use Seagate harddrives, you can mod the capacity, using seatools on a "modern" machine.

EDIT....
You could use the YMF-724 card temporary in this build, before you get the right soundcard.

Last edited by brostenen on 2016-05-05, 22:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3619 of 27549, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On my behalf. I have tried to upload something for installing IBM Os/2 Warp on harddrives larger than 8gb.
It's the instructions on how to do it, and the driver needed. Something about modding the install floppy #1.
Not visible on Vogons drivers yet. Something must be wrong or I have done something not quite right.
Anyway.... Hope it will be there soon.