VOGONS

Reply 4200 of 27661, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really a shame when something die. Feel sorry for you both.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4201 of 27661, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Retro computing activity today (actually started it yesterday night) - searched for, downloaded, and listend to MIDI music on my SB 16 CT2230. 😀

Also listed to them on my modern PC (MS GS SW synth) - then downloaded MUNT and tried it out. I was geeking out on MIDI and synth stuff all night. Also just found out Lee Jackson released the full version of Grabbag on both GM MIDI and GS MIDI. Mind blown.

Reply 4202 of 27661, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After beating Ultima Underworld a week ago, I had in mind to start System Shock 2, but I'm really enjoying playing on my DOS PC, so I started Lands of Lore a couple of days ago and really getting into it now. I'll still get to Shock 2...😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4203 of 27661, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just got to test out the IWill DVD266-R motherboard I got the other day. I haven't got a boot drive on it yet, but with two matching Pentium III Coppermine-T 1Ghz CPUs, it boots just fine! With 2GB of DDR, dual 1Ghz PIIIs and a ton of BIOS options, this could be quite a beast.

I'll probably thoroughly test it out, play with it for a while, figure out the best well-rounded configuration for it and then sell it eventually, as it is apparently worth a pretty penny (I also have the box and accessories).

This is the model before the one with Tualatin support sadly, but I think its enough of a beast on its own. I'm thinking Windows XP or 2000 would be a great OS to test it with.

I know what it'd be really good at, but some sick part of me wants to see it run something more modern like Minecraft. The hard part will be getting a GPU into it that is up to date enough for the task.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4204 of 27661, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

started with sanding the bottom of the XT ST Juko computer case.. Have to see in the weekend if i can remove some rust spots a little bit better..
If i have enough energy left then i will start painting it. (will do only the bottom because this was the most worn place) The rest of the case i will have it in the original paint.

I really hope this project can be finished soon as possible. Last weekend i bought the paint (color: coal black) and a foam paint roller. (the paint was a second attempt) (the matching color is hard to find)
I dont know what kind of black they used back in the days on such a computer case. But i think that coal black comes as close at it gets. Its a mat paint.. I hope when succeed the painting it would look very nice as it should.
But i have to see when the paint would be dry..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4205 of 27661, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got my Asus P3B-F motherboard and playing around with it now!

I was going to put it in a Compaq Desktop P650 EN case, but the only thing that stopped me was the front panel I/O cables - Compaq have all the wires in one connector, which does not match up with the front panel I/O header on the Asus mobo. I'll have to find a solution to it, or just find a generic retro ATX case.

I would love a boring 90's style non-OEM case. It would fit the era of this kind of machine. 😀

Reply 4207 of 27661, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I went a bit bored with the software part of my 286, so I took it off the table in order to work on much newer stuff.
I started the day by discovering that I had a P-III-1ghz CPU floating around. I never knew that I had it, as the one
that I bought earlier this year, came DOA in the mail. I would never have bought it, if I knew I had one allready.

I dug out my old Compaq Deskpro EN (815 chipset, Socket-370, Pizzastyle box), mounted the CPU, installed 512mb
PC-133 Ram (one stick), 40gb HDD, installed a SB-Live (no Dos games going on this) and a Diamond Viper 550 PCI (TNT1).
Cleared the harddrive and closed the case. What next? What OS to install? I need this to be a different box.

Reply 4208 of 27661, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Cleared the harddrive and closed the case. What next? What OS to install? I need this to be a different box.

Red Hat Linux 7? Win2K? OS/2 4.5?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 4209 of 27661, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I fear, if I install Linux. Pingo will eat my cookies as a punishment..... 🤣
Fun aside. I love Linux, yet it does not feel right for me on this machine.

Win2K sounds like a nice way to go. 😀
I might go as far, as installing a real Unix system on this. PC-BSD perhaps.
Or I might multi-boot it with some of the beta operating systems from MS.

Reply 4212 of 27661, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote:

Flashed a couple of Gotek floppy emulators with the HxC2001 firmware. At last, no more of that wretched Gotek software for managing my floppy images! 😁

Cool, what does this involve? I believe someone made a guide about this a while ago. Just got to refresh my memory 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4214 of 27661, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
TheMobRules wrote:

Flashed a couple of Gotek floppy emulators with the HxC2001 firmware. At last, no more of that wretched Gotek software for managing my floppy images! 😁

Cool, what does this involve? I believe someone made a guide about this a while ago. Just got to refresh my memory 😊

I believe you refer to this thread by bjt. I used it as a reference for the flashing process and it went without a hitch! 😉

Reply 4216 of 27661, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Be different. BeOS. 😀

CP/M?

Not unless he replaces the P3 CPU with a Z80. CP/M86 maybe.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4217 of 27661, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally was able to benchmark all the Nvidia cards I wanted to test with the Super Socket 7 project.

Got some forum help, special thanks to Brostenen, he zipped me up some VIA and Nvidia drivers that worked well.

To sum up the Nvidia Super Socket 7 experience: A huge pain in the Arse, but if you muck around enough and / if you get them going, they are lightning fast!

Eager to put the video together and get it out the door. I spent way too much time on this 😵

And also happy to move onto the 3dfx cards, because they "just work" 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4218 of 27661, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Be different. BeOS. 😀

CP/M?

CP/M-86 is the port he would use, yes. If he wanted to be really different. Or perhaps Bare Metal Oberon?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4219 of 27661, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
stamasd wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

CP/M?

CP/M-86 is the port he would use, yes. If he wanted to be really different. Or perhaps Bare Metal Oberon?

V2OS

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O