VOGONS

Reply 4940 of 27362, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're welcome to contribute to my 7-Zip benchmark databases if you wish. There's some cool stuff in there. The Windows benchmark is multi-threaded, DOS version single-threaded. Integer and memory subsystems tested separately.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4941 of 27362, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I will need some days to dig through this site. It is amazing 😀 Then I will try to contribute when I can, don't worry 😉

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 4942 of 27362, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hooked up my 486 to some modern audio equipment and listened to some old synth tunes. I can't believe how awesome it sounded. My DSLR's mic isn't the best, but even the recorded video doesn't sound too bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdFtF5XFIRs

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 4943 of 27362, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kva wrote:
I was searching for information about my dual core VIA CPU and I found this site. Now I am amazed because I finally have my plac […]
Show full quote

I was searching for information about my dual core VIA CPU and I found this site. Now I am amazed because I finally have my place on earth 😁

So hello to all of you my fellow retro maniacs 😁
In my collection I have about 200 CPUs (from 386 to skylake) and 50 motherboards, everything in working conditon. My favs are Cyrix/VIA and Pentium Pro. I will present them all some day 😀
Merry Christmas!

Welcome aboard! 😁

200 CPUs, nice! Now I wonder how you're storing all your stuff 😜

Seems like Vogons might be one heck of a Christmas present for you 🤣, enjoy the readings and enjoy your stay! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4944 of 27362, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can relax a bit now 😊

FreeDOS timed their 1.2 release for today, so I was a bit stressed preparing a video review. I "only" had release candidate 2 to test, so when 1.2 went live, I quickly tested things to see if anything had changed, it hadn't, so I could put the video review live.

Time to get some sleep 😵

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4945 of 27362, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kva wrote:
I was searching for information about my dual core VIA CPU and I found this site. Now I am amazed because I finally have my plac […]
Show full quote

I was searching for information about my dual core VIA CPU and I found this site. Now I am amazed because I finally have my place on earth 😁

So hello to all of you my fellow retro maniacs 😁
In my collection I have about 200 CPUs (from 386 to skylake) and 50 motherboards, everything in working conditon. My favs are Cyrix/VIA and Pentium Pro. I will present them all some day 😀
Merry Christmas!

I know how you feel. I had thought I was the only crazy guy on this planet to collect vintage computer stuff. I kept getting hits on web searches to this site, and found useful information on it for several years, until I realized about 2 years ago that it's actually a very active site, with really nice and knowledgeable users. That's when I decided to register, and stopped feeling like the odd duck.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4946 of 27362, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Seems like Vogons might be one heck of a Christmas present for you 🤣, enjoy the readings and enjoy your stay! 😁

More or less like this skarby.jpg 😜

My better half is not happy about that so I have to find a better way 😉

VIA C3 vs VIA C7

Reply 4947 of 27362, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have more CPUs than you. But then, I also collect from earlier periods (for instance I have about 250+ 286 chips 😁)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4948 of 27362, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kva wrote:
More or less like this http://kva.pl/skarby.jpg :P […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

More or less like this skarby.jpg 😜

My better half is not happy about that so I have to find a better way 😉

I found that the best way is to use original CPU trays. With these you could literally stack hundreds of CPUs into a single box and it's all stable 😀
Other ways always seemed kinda lacking somehow when compared to using real CPU trays, but the trays weren't always easy to find.
s7 trays fit anything from s5 all the way to Athlon XP though, making these very versatile.

Shoe boxes are kinda nice for Slot CPUs, provided they are the right size.

It's all about making best use of the space that's provided to you 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 4949 of 27362, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know, I have some of my CPUs in original trays. But like you said - they are not easy to find 🙁

VIA C3 vs VIA C7

Reply 4950 of 27362, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I benchmarked my Windows 98 machine, then swapped out the CPU and did all the same benchmarks. I've posted the results here on this forum.

CPU upgrade w/Benchmarks

Last edited by FFXIhealer on 2016-12-25, 21:28. Edited 1 time in total.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4951 of 27362, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rebuilt my Super Socket 7 hybrid PC in a new case and just finished installing Windows 98 SE on a currently "dummy" build (dummy because I'm using a 733MHz Slot 1 Pentium III when I intend to use something else) in which I plan to install a 1.4GHz Tualatin Pentium III via slotket paired with a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and 512MB of RAM on a Soyo SY-6BA+ motherboard. I actually have no idea if this motherboard will support Tualatin chips (I did update the BIOS as the AGP slot refused to work when I first got the board, which the BIOS update corrected), but if it does, there will definitely be a 1.4GHz Tualatin Pentium III in that thing. If that fails, I have some spare 1GHz Coppermine Pentium IIIs I can fall back on (these things fly on an overclocked 440BX board with a 133Mhz FSB).

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 4952 of 27362, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kva wrote:

I know, I have some of my CPUs in original trays. But like you said - they are not easy to find 🙁

Occasionally people have CPU trays for sale on the forums at http://www.cpu-world.com Which is a site with which, if you're not familiar with already, you should be.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4953 of 27362, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been busy messing around with RTW so I can choose between 21 different temples instead of the usual 3, amongst other bits 😀

stamasd wrote:
kva wrote:

Occasionally people have CPU trays for sale on the forums at http://www.cpu-world.com Which is a site with which, if you're not familiar with already, you should be.

Absolutely! cpu-world is a great resource, not only for its information and great knowledge.
I got many of my harder to find CPUs from there.

Report spammers here!

Reply 4954 of 27362, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to a few gifts from family, I'm now the proud owner of a 1080p digital camcorder. My family found out about my desire to educate you people about dual-cpu systems and were appalled when they found out I got the old VHS out of storage.

Still got to get some accessories, like a proper tripod. But hopefully soon I might have a few videos up. I fully intend to swear like a sailor on shore leave, violate your safe-space, and bask in everything violent and devious, all while dicking around with old systems. At least that is the plan.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4955 of 27362, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About a week ago a package arrived to my home. I completely forgot about it, but the moment I opened it I knew what it was.
It was this itty bitty teeny tiny monitor - IBM 4707!
P_20161226_191924_m_zpskvaywvzx.jpg

And Oh boy, I can tell you this is the nicest monitor I have ever seen! It has 9 inch picture tube and it has so sharp picture!
Every CRT display I dealt with was blurry, crappy, just not worth it so I generally got the idea that CRT displays are crap. So I moved entirely to LCDs. But now I take it back.

At first look I thought that it is yellowed a lot, but under closer inspection it was soo dirty I couldn't believe it. First power up was not great, the picture was blurry in one corner, controls were dirty and jumping around and I couldn't get the picture stable. So I cracked it open, removed all plastics and threw them all in shower and got my old toothbrush and detergent. Came out quite nicely.
While it was drying, I took apart the potentiometers. The graphite inside was quite dirty, so I cleaned brushes with a little bit of alcohol and assembled it back. The stand was squeaky and weird, so after cleaning I lubricated the base with some silicon lube and assembled everything up. Came out quite nicely, moves now great, plastics are nice and white, some dings and scratches, but I can't do anything about that. Power up?

P_20161227_120043_m_zpsycepsxlq.jpg

Controls are stable, picture is clear and sharp now, it is super duper nice tiny monitor!
And what to do first with new equipment?

P_20161227_120422_m_zps3dsyyglw.jpg

Of course, play my most favourite game - Commander Keen! 😀

Reply 4956 of 27362, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally managed to fix the Japanese Windows 98 install on my Epson Pentium 200, it was merely a question of running Scandisk from DOS.

Looks like the build in VGA has a bug that makes the screen move 2 cm to the left when using a resolution of 1024x768...unfortunately that is out of spec for my monitor.

Reply 4957 of 27362, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Thanks to a few gifts from family, I'm now the proud owner of a 1080p digital camcorder. My family found out about my desire to educate you people about dual-cpu systems and were appalled when they found out I got the old VHS out of storage.

Still got to get some accessories, like a proper tripod. But hopefully soon I might have a few videos up. I fully intend to swear like a sailor on shore leave, violate your safe-space, and bask in everything violent and devious, all while dicking around with old systems. At least that is the plan.

Oh, come on, VHS would look so much better. Dicking around on old systems WITH authentic looking footage? 200% better!

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 4958 of 27362, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made some spreadsheets and have started logging inventory of all of my excess parts. Got most of the video cards done today, with a basic test to see if they POST. So far no dead ones 😁

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 4959 of 27362, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Debating on attempting to hack a 6pin AUX connector onto a normal power supply.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1