VOGONS

Reply 5000 of 27559, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cleaned one of my new toys today. A lovely Lacie SCSI case with a Yamaha CD-R drive in it.
It is an old lady from around 1998/99. The drive it self say 98.
Cleaned it for the worst dust and dirt, gave the fan some oil in the bearing and washed the
complete unit in 99% alcohol.

Cleanup-01.jpg
Filename
Cleanup-01.jpg
File size
160.32 KiB
Views
File comment
All that dirt.... Yuckie yuck. Wire mess.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Cleanup-02.jpg
Filename
Cleanup-02.jpg
File size
144.07 KiB
Views
File comment
Yuck... More of that dirt, still need to keep track of how it's wired.
File license
Cleanup-03.jpg
Filename
Cleanup-03.jpg
File size
145.71 KiB
Views
File comment
Pealed back the sticker and added some sewing machine oil in the hole.
File license
Cleanup-04.jpg
Filename
Cleanup-04.jpg
File size
96.36 KiB
Views
File comment
Front of the cleaned boks
File license
Cleanup-05.jpg
Filename
Cleanup-05.jpg
File size
158.51 KiB
Views
File comment
Back of the cleaned Boks
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5003 of 27559, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wiped and formatted a crap ton of old IDE drives. Mostly 40's and lower.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5004 of 27559, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Played around with 86Box and set it up with a 486 DX4 100, 32MB RAM, TSENG ET4000, Sound Blaster 2.0 and played around MS-DOS with it. Pretty cool emulator.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5005 of 27559, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cut the SuperCap off my SEGA NAOMI arcade board before it can leak. Replaced the CR2032 on same board. Swapped the RAM in the NetDIMM to 512mb. General NAOMI cleaning since I pulled it out.. Trying to get the NAOMI net tools onto my NAS so I can netboot games off the NAS straight onto the NAOMI...

looking over it, lots of electrolytics from 1999 😒 makes me want to recap this thing but ugh.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 5006 of 27559, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Few days ago old Technics SA-EX100 Amplifier died in our music class room. I thought it has its time, because it is not new, actually, it was made in August 1997, so it is as old as me. 😁
Yesterday they bought new one and man, is that a piece of shit! So I volunteerly got the old amp home to look inside.

On first powerup nothing happened. So I pulled it apart and my jaw dropped down. I have NEVER seen such beautifuly made piece of equipment (under such big layer of dust 😁). Everything is nicely layed, it is modular, each part is separated, everything is sturdy, nothing moves around, fixing something like this is just pure happiness. So I took the front bezel off and quickly found out that green corrosion appeared on contacts. After cleaning the panel started working and buttons started behaving like it should. But the volume button was scratchy, dirty and almost not working, so next dissassembly happened and after desoldering the potentiometer I took it apart, sprayed it with Konkor (czech equivalent of WD40 or DeOxit), lubed gear mechanism (for my huge amusement the remote control works as motor manually rotating the volume knob. Amazing piece of tech 😁)
After I assembled it I wanted to try the sound, but I don't have any speakers. So I pulled out speakers from old TV and soldered cable to it. The sound, aw. the sound. It is such beauty! About fubajilion times better than that crap that is there now. But, it didn't last for too long. It started to heat a lot, so the fan kicked on. Yikes! Rattle from hell. I thought it was standard fan, but it wasn't. It was fan blades stucked on high-end DC brushless motor like the one used in RC cars. So, few drops of heavy oil at the shaft, cleaning the blades, oiling run on full speed thanks to PC 12V DC line and final cleaning. Now it looks awesome, like new, works like new and I am just sad that I have to return it back. 🙁 😁

Currently I am waiting for the fan how it sounds. Oh, wait, nevermind. It is running all the time. I genuinly didn't notice 😁

P_20170110_161841_zpssajzssra.jpg

Reply 5007 of 27559, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Continued writing specs for my whitebox collection. Today I found out one of my W98 Gateway boxes has a 1.44 MB floppy drive that also takes SuperDisks (Mitsubishi LS-120 😳 )

I might swap it out for my 98 box 😜

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 5008 of 27559, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Removed the ide harddrive and controller from my 286 and Installed scsi harddrive and controller instead.

Took it for a spin. 10mhz is too slow for Lotus-III, yet Dynablaster runs perfect. I was surprised, as I thought it needed at least a 386sx to run.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5009 of 27559, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did something I should have done a long time ago: make a fresh install of 98SE for my SE440BX-2 and then install Norton Ghost 2003. Then backup the image file on a CD-ROM (~300 MB).

Now I can reimage a fresh copy of 98SE in four minutes flat to test out new soundcards. Also, create a separate CD-ROM for each soundcard install.

Reply 5010 of 27559, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been playing around with old 90's camera's. Not much else.

Last edited by King_Corduroy on 2017-01-11, 06:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 5011 of 27559, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

recieved my IDE Coupler and Voodoo 1 yesterday.

Was very excited to install everything so went ahead. Installed all except the ram and booted..... and smoke started coming out of my psu 😵
.... ok there goes my computer I thought, I disconnected everything to start testing what's broken. Got a other Psu and went ahead, everything worked except my hd's, so I removed the IDE cables and there was the problem..... A melted IDE cable so I presumed my Samsung disk broke however to my surprise my kingspec DoM shortcircuited on the chip.
Now I am at a loss what the cause of this might've been, before I had Dom plugged in directly in the primary IDE slot and my Samsung and cdrom on the secondary IDE. Is the cable to blame or the IDE coupler.... meh lost a new psu and DoM 😢 lucky me the rest survived though.

IMG_20170110_WA0001.jpg IMG_20170110_WA0004.jpg

Reply 5012 of 27559, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
krivulak wrote:

I have NEVER seen such beautifuly made piece of equipment (under such big layer of dust 😁). Everything is nicely layed, it is modular, each part is separated, everything is sturdy, nothing moves around, fixing something like this is just pure happiness.

Quality audio equipment from the experienced Japanese vendors always was beautiful to work on. Even the maintenance documentation is amazingly detailed.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5013 of 27559, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
krivulak wrote:

I have NEVER seen such beautifuly made piece of equipment (under such big layer of dust 😁). Everything is nicely layed, it is modular, each part is separated, everything is sturdy, nothing moves around, fixing something like this is just pure happiness.

Quality audio equipment from the experienced Japanese vendors always was beautiful to work on. Even the maintenance documentation is amazingly detailed.

I personally dread the day my 20 year old stereo equipment (Sony/Akai and a Philips CD player) will fail, because modern replacements are 3-4 times the price for half the features (and shitty quality), even if they're from Japanese manufacturers.

Reply 5014 of 27559, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a long time I have looked for a way of mounting three 3.5" drives in two 5.25" bays. You can get brackets for hard drives that can do this, but it is very hard to find ones with an open face suitable for mounting floppy drives. So I made my own by carving up a plastic 3.5" -> 5.25" mounting tray.

90-022.3-in-1_bracket.jpg
Filename
File size
67.63 KiB
Views
File comment
3.5" trays
File license

I made some brackets I am too embarrassed to show to screw all the drives together, then they are screwed into the bottom (unmodified) adapter, with the two halves sitting on top (screwed into the case.)

Hooray! Now I have an extra three 3.5" bays in my case 😀

91-007.3-in-2.jpg
Filename
91-007.3-in-2.jpg
File size
59.31 KiB
Views
File comment
3x 3.5" drives in 2x 5.25" bays
File license

Reply 5015 of 27559, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally found a working 512Mb PC133 I needed to complete my Athlon Thunderbird machine for this config:

Asus A7V133 (KT133A)
Athlon 1400 / 133Mhz (Thunderbird)
1,5 GB PC133
Geforce2 MX 32MB

I could go for the Athlon XP that could still run on this but I think the right top cpu is this.

Reply 5016 of 27559, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote:
Finally found a working 512Mb PC133 I needed to complete my Athlon Thunderbird machine for this config: […]
Show full quote

Finally found a working 512Mb PC133 I needed to complete my Athlon Thunderbird machine for this config:

Asus A7V133 (KT133A)
1,5 GB PC133
Geforce2 MX 32MB

I could go for the Athlon XP that could still run on this but I think the right top cpu is this.

I think a geforce 2 pro or geforce 3 will be better matched.
Mx is too old for that system. Who had 1.5gb ram back then? 😵

Reply 5017 of 27559, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malvineous wrote:
For a long time I have looked for a way of mounting three 3.5" drives in two 5.25" bays. You can get brackets for hard drives t […]
Show full quote

For a long time I have looked for a way of mounting three 3.5" drives in two 5.25" bays. You can get brackets for hard drives that can do this, but it is very hard to find ones with an open face suitable for mounting floppy drives. So I made my own by carving up a plastic 3.5" -> 5.25" mounting tray.

I made some brackets I am too embarrassed to show to screw all the drives together, then they are screwed into the bottom (unmodified) adapter, with the two halves sitting on top (screwed into the case.)

Hooray! Now I have an extra three 3.5" bays in my case 😀

91-007.3-in-2.jpg

That is awesome, well done!!

Reply 5018 of 27559, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skalabala wrote:
386SX wrote:
Finally found a working 512Mb PC133 I needed to complete my Athlon Thunderbird machine for this config: […]
Show full quote

Asus A7V133 (KT133A)
1,5 GB PC133
Geforce2 MX 32MB

I think a geforce 2 pro or geforce 3 will be better matched.
Mx is too old for that system. Who had 1.5gb ram back then? 😵

Yeah but the original Geforce 2 GTS (and 3) are not easy to find in good conditions, not to mention the Ultra. Also I already reached 110->130W of total watt usage mostly on 5V rail, so I try to save some watt with a time correct card (the first on full 0,18 micron process?).
The ram was important cause I'm testing this as everyday machine and a recent os but I understand it sounds like too much ram for a time correct point of view.

Reply 5019 of 27559, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Setup DOS 6.22 and WfW 3.11 on a Thinkpad 755CX. This laptop is the one on which I can't get sound working (built-in mwave card) in Win98 due to BIOS being too old, and not able to flash the BIOS because I don't have a working battery.

But the mwave sound works fine in DOS and Win 3.1 because it uses older drivers. Those aren't compatible with Win98 unfortunately. So until I find a way to flash the BIOS without battery, or find a battery, I'll be stuck with 3.11 on this laptop because I want to have working sound.

Also, while doing that I went through a huge stack of floppies trying to separate the bad ones from the usable ones. I needed a total of 14 working blank floppies to transfer all the drivers needed onto the Thinkpad. I tried to use a CF card through a CF/PCMCIA adapter, but it didn't work. If I formatted the card (an old 64MB one) on my main laptop and write files to it, the Thinkpad can't see it. If I format it on the Thinkpad then transfer it to my main laptop to write files to, it can't be read and I need to format it again before writing to it, but then again my Thinkpad can't see it anymore. Grr.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O