VOGONS

Reply 600 of 27598, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Giving Seagate's Disk Manager manager a workout by installing Windows 95 OEM 2.5 on a 386DX-40 with 8 MB RAM, a 80 GB Seagate IDE drive and an IDE optical drive. Patience is the key...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 602 of 27598, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Giving Seagate's Disk Manager manager a workout by installing Windows 95 OEM 2.5 on a 386DX-40 with 8 MB RAM, a 80 GB Seagate IDE drive and an IDE optical drive. Patience is the key...

Why? Just why?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 603 of 27598, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Why? Just why?

Because I can / it's fun / why not?

Quite surprised how well it runs after you endure the installation. I tell you some people's modern notebooks bogged down with bloatware and not looked after take longer to boot and are less responsive than the 386 running Windows 95 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 604 of 27598, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally managed to get one of those colorful ribbon cables with individual connectors on each wire. Finally I could connect my DB50XG to my YMF719-based card and close the cable. It required a bit of zip tie to hold it in place though. And, OFC, the first thing I did was start DOOM and listen to the music.

Reply 605 of 27598, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Retrobright treatment on the control knobs of a Packard Bell (EGA??) monitor I just bought locally.

I apologize for the terrible photos...I forgot to take one before I did the retrobright treatment so I had to use the original sellers photo and I am just using my mobile phone camera for now for the after pics.

20150122_193543.jpg
Filename
20150122_193543.jpg
File size
109.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
retrobright-pbmonitor.JPG
Filename
retrobright-pbmonitor.JPG
File size
206.54 KiB
Views
File license
before retrobright-pbmonitor.JPG
Filename
before retrobright-pbmonitor.JPG
File size
337.02 KiB
Views
File license
20150122_192723.jpg
Filename
20150122_192723.jpg
File size
205.9 KiB
Views
File license

Having got this and another EGA monitor yesterday as well, I tested them out with some of my Tandy 1000 systems...it was an opportunity to run them for a bit as they have been sitting collecting dust lately. The other CRT monitor I got is an old school Princeton Graphic Systems beast...it's missing a plastic knob for the "pull on" switch...I hope to find something that might match nicely with the brightness knob to put on there. I trsted each monitor and the Packard Bell is very bright and looks to be in great shape. As for the Princeton Graphic Systems (PGS) one, it was not as bright but still works very well. From what I have gathered online, the PGS CRT matches well with IBM 51xx systems as it is from that era (this one is date stamped 1983).

20150122_192710.jpg
Filename
20150122_192710.jpg
File size
239.8 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 607 of 27598, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

How many Tandy 1000's do you have retrofanatic?

Tandy 1000EX x2
Tandy 1000HX x2
Tandy 1000SX x1
Tandy 1000TX x1
Tandy 1000TL x1
Tandy 1000TL/2 x1

And some Tandy Color Computers
Tandy CoCo 1 x2
Tandy Coco 2 x2
Tandy Coco 3 x2

And a bunch of other Tandy/Radio Shack/TRS80 stuff and systems.

I'm always on the lookout for other Tandy systems (i.e. SL RLX and RL series systems)

Reply 608 of 27598, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:
Tandy 1000EX x2 Tandy 1000HX x2 Tandy 1000SX x1 Tandy 1000TX x1 Tandy 1000TL x1 Tandy 1000TL/2 x1 […]
Show full quote

Tandy 1000EX x2
Tandy 1000HX x2
Tandy 1000SX x1
Tandy 1000TX x1
Tandy 1000TL x1
Tandy 1000TL/2 x1

I'm always on the lookout for other Tandy systems (i.e. SL RLX and RL series systems)

Wow you Tandy freak!! 🤣

I wish i had one of those. But being European presents so many problems...

Reply 609 of 27598, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:

Retrobright treatment on the control knobs of a Packard Bell (EGA??) monitor I just bought locally.

Having got this and another EGA monitor yesterday as well, I tested them out with some of my Tandy 1000 systems...it was an opportunity to run them for a bit as they have been sitting collecting dust lately. The other CRT monitor I got is an old school Princeton Graphic Systems beast...it's missing a plastic knob for the "pull on" switch...I hope to find something that might match nicely with the brightness knob to put on there. I trsted each monitor and the Packard Bell is very bright and looks to be in great shape. As for the Princeton Graphic Systems (PGS) one, it was not as bright but still works very well. From what I have gathered online, the PGS CRT matches well with IBM 51xx systems as it is from that era (this one is date stamped 1983).

Very nice retrobright job.

Reply 610 of 27598, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I tested out a recently acquired Roland MT-120.

It's basically a Sound Canvas SC-50 with a built in disk drive for sequencing. It has the same polyphony (28), parts (16), and drum sets (9) as a SC-55mkII, but it's has less tone samples than a SC-55mkII (226 vs. 354). It's also been stripped of the MT-32 tones (so no MT-32 emulation mode on this unit).

It's not really that interesting for gaming. It's basically a neutered SC-55mkII, but I found it interesting nonetheless, and it seems to play Sound Canvas / GM games just fine. Here's a recording of Doom E1M1 as played through the MT-120 and recorded on the line in of my PC using Audacity:

Doom E1M1 on MT-120

MT-120%20Front.jpg

MT-120%20Rear.jpg

Reply 612 of 27598, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested a "new" Geforce 7950 GX2 video card I bought.

I tested it using my current flavour of PCI-E testbench, a socket 775 system with a Q6600 slightly overclocked to 3.2GHz
Because the system wasnt in a case I thought it wouldnt need any extra airflow... I was wrong... 60 --> 70 ---> 80 ---> 90 --> 100 --> hardlock in minuts

The cooling solution on these cards is underwhelming to say the least. With an extra fan forcing air into the sandwich the card worked much better.

Im also making room for an AGP test bench as I have managed to hord another 15 untested AGP video cards.
I use a Fujitsu Siemens socket i865PE board to test untested AGP cards as it seems to be able to survive just about anything.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 614 of 27598, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This afternoon I visited an e-recycling company. They asked me to provide some training on vintage computers. They had 12 desktops/mini towers. Mostly 386/486 clones. Also one IBM PS/2 Model 55 and 3 Epson Equity's. CT1740s with ASP, Thunder Board and Tandy CM-11. I will be back in touch with them. Nothing could be tested so I did not buy.

Reply 615 of 27598, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

This afternoon I visited an e-recycling company. They asked me to provide some training on vintage computers. They had 12 desktops/mini towers. Mostly 386/486 clones. Also one IBM PS/2 Model 55 and 3 Epson Equity's. CT1740s with ASP, Thunder Board and Tandy CM-11. I will be back in touch with them. Nothing could be tested so I did not buy.

Wow...sounds like treasure to me. I'm surprised you left everything even if it was untested. For old stuff like that if I plug it in and it turns on and there's no sign of physical damage, I just go for it and buy what I can if it is a good price and just risk it. I have only been burned a couple times but it was on some untested graphics card I got for a mac g5 for only $10 (ended up not working too well) and a dead 386 motherboard I got for $10 as well. Pretty much everything else I have ever bought untested has worked great. Even a broken ibm ps2 model 55 can be worth a fair bit (parts).

If they weren't asking a lot for everything especially the 386 pc's, the tandy cm 11, the ps2 ibm and the Thunderboard(!) I would not be able to leave the room without buying it all (if the price is right). That stuff is just too rare. But I guess it's better to show some restraint sometimes. I for one find it a bit difficult...I have an irrational attraction to retro hardware I guess 🤣

Reply 616 of 27598, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are right but I am very well stocked with hardware and coming home with a car full would make my wife very upset. In case anyone is interested in anything I can PM the gentleman's email address.

Reply 617 of 27598, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

Wow...sounds like treasure to me. I'm surprised you left everything even if it was untested. For old stuff like that if I plug it in and it turns on and there's no sign of physical damage, I just go for it and buy what I can if it is a good price and just risk it. I have only been burned a couple times but it was on some untested graphics card I got for a mac g5 for only $10 (ended up not working too well) and a dead 386 motherboard I got for $10 as well. Pretty much everything else I have ever bought untested has worked great. Even a broken ibm ps2 model 55 can be worth a fair bit (parts).

If they weren't asking a lot for everything especially the 386 pc's, the tandy cm 11, the ps2 ibm and the Thunderboard(!) I would not be able to leave the room without buying it all (if the price is right). That stuff is just too rare. But I guess it's better to show some restraint sometimes. I for one find it a bit difficult...I have an irrational attraction to retro hardware I guess 🤣

I usually just grab and run 🤣 screw testing. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 618 of 27598, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

I usually just grab and run 🤣 screw testing. 🤣

This ^

Even if it busted, it can probably be parted out and sold.

Reply 619 of 27598, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been cleaning up the attic and partly ripped the floor out to run a new cable from the boiler to downstairs.
Found the original box for my 14" Hewlett-Packard CRT! Apparently its now used to store old pictures. Also a Philips composite b/w CCTV CRT, and a broken IBM PS/2 CRT monitor (8513) which I thought had been thrown out ages ago! 😳