VOGONS

Reply 6000 of 27502, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Speaking of testing, got a 2.1GB IBM hard drive in the mail today. It's for yet another socket 7 build.

Interesting hard drive. Must be one of the older ATA (I'd say 33Mbps at best) or PIO standard? I have a 428.1MB Seagate HDD that I pulled out of my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus that was upgraded to a Solid State Drive setup (CompactFlash card and CF to IDE adapter) for faster load times, and the old Seagate HDD still lives on, without any bad or derogatory marks in the SMART test within Ubuntu on another desktop.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6001 of 27502, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Played around with a matsonic motherboard, its a 440lx slot 1 AT board. Modded the bios to support 100mhz cpu's and latter Celeron's
The VRM does not like the Celeron cpu I have in it, I'll try a 450mhz Pii next.

Its a very odd board, they used good parts for the most part, but they way they made it is cheap. Defiantly will not be able to over clock anything here, for safety that is, even the chokes run super hot.

Reply 6002 of 27502, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rescued these from being recycled, currently working on restoring the Classic II since it at least seems to show a hope of working.

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbedh76.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6003 of 27502, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
Rescued these from being recycled, currently working on restoring the Classic II since it at least seems to show a hope of worki […]
Show full quote

Rescued these from being recycled, currently working on restoring the Classic II since it at least seems to show a hope of working.

What issues does the Classic ][ have? If it's lines, remove everything off of the board and soak it in soapy water, rinse it off, wait about a week or so, and place everything back on the board. Check for corrosion on the board since those lithium batteries do leak it will corrode the motherboard's key components.

Reply 6004 of 27502, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:
Rescued these from being recycled, currently working on restoring the Classic II since it at least seems to show a hope of worki […]
Show full quote

What issues does the Classic ][ have? If it's lines, remove everything off of the board and soak it in soapy water, rinse it off, wait about a week or so, and place everything back on the board. Check for corrosion on the board since those lithium batteries do leak it will corrode the motherboard's key components.

Why does everybody here recommend soaking boards? That's never a good idea in the long term unless you are using proper chemicals. Use contact cleaner (De-oxit) and a toothbrush and rinse afterwards with isopropyl alcohol. I've been doing electronics restoration for a while now and I couldn't imagine doing anything else without spending lots of money on equipment and chemicals.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6005 of 27502, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for double posting, but another activity I'm doing is diagnosing my $10 external DVD burner. Before hand, it would try to burn a DVD, but it failed, so I tried cleaning the interior, and later on, it decided to eject every discs (pre-recorded, recorded on, blank, audio, movies, etc.), so I cleaned every spot on the I/O board (IDE cable, Master/Slave/CS/DMA connection) and the laser board as well with contact cleaner and lubricator that is plastic-safe, and it started to work, but I get a different error when trying to write to a disc with Disk Utility for Mac OS X Tiger:

Unable to burn "file.dmg" 
The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media.

It does verify and write the checksum of/from the DMG file without issues, just won't burn. It would go from:

Checksumming whole disk (Apple_HFS : 0)...

To this:

Writing Track...
5 seconds later
Finalizing

And:

Unable to burn "file.dmg" 
The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media.

Should I use isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab to clean the laser, or would it be another issue, like the cable for the laser board isn't on tightly?

On the plus side, it does read written or manufactured CDs and DVDs (some of the CDs or DVDs I burned on my Windows PC doesn't seem to work on my iMac G3/600 anymore, but it tries to read the disks).

Reply 6006 of 27502, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xplus93 wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:
Show full quote

Why does everybody here recommend soaking boards? That's never a good idea in the long term unless you are using proper chemicals. Use contact cleaner (De-oxit) and a toothbrush and rinse afterwards with isopropyl alcohol. I've been doing electronics restoration for a while now and I couldn't imagine doing anything else without spending lots of money on equipment and chemicals.

You're right. Soaking the board with soap and water will cause issues. Didn't think about the deoxidizing method will work on electronics, PCB boards, and other fun stuff... I need to do research on that topic some more.

Reply 6007 of 27502, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been deeply buried in my Amiga600 these past few days. I had it completely dismanteled and cleaned a lot of rust off the RF shield. What I used was one of those steel spunges that comes with some hefty white soap. Cleaned it all up and used some mild hand dishwasher soap to get the white film off. Came out beautifully and only stains from the rust are left. I proceeded with the plastic parts of the case, and used that mild soap, a brush and a damp cloth to rinse it all up. Finished it all by removing leftovers from a sticker, using alcohol and some paper towels. So far so good.

For the actual parts inside. The mainboard are in cosmetic beautifull shape. Though the caps need a replacement, and as an Amiga600 is an expensive machine, I do not dare solder on it. So I called up one of those experts that have been fixing radio's and tv's since the 70's. He is talking about some 76 US Dollars plus/minus 10, to make a total recap. Need to do some upgrades in the future too. Like more memory, scandoubler and so on. Perhaps an accelerator card. Who knows... Then I did a complete installation of the Amiga's harddrive on my Linux computer, using FS-UAE.

The way to do it, is to connect the harddrive as a usb storage device. Set permission to the entire drive as the user I am logged in as. Then I mounted the usb device as a harddrive in FS-UAE setup. Mounted the workbench installation ADF files as amiga floppy disks in the emulator and installed it on the physical drive with the correct Amiga filesystem. Copied the workbench ADF files to the harddrive, using a folder on my Linux machine, mounted as an Amiga harddrive, and the ADF2DISK tool. Installed the harddrive in my Amiga and wrote out the Workbench files on fresh formatted floppy disks. Easy and nice.

It is beginning to turn out, to be a fun project.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6008 of 27502, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Finally got my PIII mobo, so I started assembly of the computer. Ran into a few minor problems during assembly.... Realised I didn't have anymore thermal paste so will have to get new paste tomorrow. I was also fresh out of pc-133 ram, only had 128 mb left. Finally the internal USB connector had a different pinout:
5V (red), usb - (white), usb + (green), not connected, ground (black)
ground (black), not connected, usb + (green), usb - (white), 5v (red)
Had to make a small hole to fit the 5V on the pin1 row, which ofcourse broke in the process so I had to glue it back....
Ordered some pins which I will solder for a f_audio connector later.
Hopefully I can start testing tomorrow

edit: 1 trip to my local computer supplier later
got everything together so started testing, assembled the case but have similar problems as my athlon and more. Whenever I touch my radiator while I am touching my computer (turned off but power connected), I can feel the voltage leaking away from the computer, could this be related to a poor soldering job or reassembly of the parts? This concerns my partially recapped antec and fully recapped hiper.
and the following is something I never experienced before when building a computer, I accidently touched the case and i saw a spark and the computer shutdown but restarted right away. This could be a poor grounding from the mobo but I used proper stand-offs, rings and proper screws for mounting, any ideas on this electrical engineering just isn't my forté 😢
anyhow I got my computer working properly and sucessfully installed my dual boot on it (got in a few NoS sealed Pata HD's yesterday)

Reply 6009 of 27502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Played around with a matsonic motherboard, its a 440lx slot 1 AT board. Modded the bios to support 100mhz cpu's and latter Celeron's
The VRM does not like the Celeron cpu I have in it, I'll try a 450mhz Pii next.

Its a very odd board, they used good parts for the most part, but they way they made it is cheap. Defiantly will not be able to over clock anything here, for safety that is, even the chokes run super hot.

Funny how you take a 66fsb board, tweak/mod it to run at 100fsb and then say it will not overclock? You are running it 50% overclocked already with a 450 pII..... Most 44LX board do not go beyond 83mhz fsb as far as i know.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6010 of 27502, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He said that he modded the bios to support 100MHz CPUs, not to run them at that speed. Though maybe this is still what he did

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6011 of 27502, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to MacGyver (or rednecked) my external DVD burner since the original drive quit working, and I have a dual screen setup on my iMac G3/600 Graphite.

20170703_010646.jpg
Filename
20170703_010646.jpg
File size
2.67 MiB
Views
File comment
Dual monitor setup
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20170703_010651.jpg
Filename
20170703_010651.jpg
File size
3.12 MiB
Views
File comment
Redneck repair (Lite-On LH-18A1P) External DVD Burner
File license
20170703_021151.jpg
Filename
20170703_021151.jpg
File size
3.33 MiB
Views
File comment
Enclosure applied around the drive after trimming the unwanted plastic off of it
File license

I'm impressed after I replaced the DVD Burner that it actually works (several trial and errors regarding the Cable Select cabling between the board and DVD Burner).

Reply 6012 of 27502, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This isn't exactly retro activity, more bloody frustrating actually. A family friends computer, older LGA1156 i3-540 machine that worked ok but only without video drivers installed.
After lots of messing around with drivers, etc, I finally thought I'd take a look inside at the motherboard. I guess what's retro related here is that this
is normally a problem on computers from late 90's to mid 2000's.

Attachments

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6013 of 27502, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Imperious wrote:

This isn't exactly retro activity, more bloody frustrating actually. A family friends computer, older LGA1156 i3-540 machine that worked ok but only without video drivers installed.
After lots of messing around with drivers, etc, I finally thought I'd take a look inside at the motherboard. I guess what's retro related here is that this

How did rust get in there? Possibly the caps spewed underneath?

Reply 6014 of 27502, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a 32MB simm in the mail today for my LC 575. Now I just need to get an full 68040 and a clock battery, and maybe a 2GB HD. I got pretty lucky finding it. This thing is going to save a lot of space and headache compared to a full apple II system and a quadra.

bjwil1991 wrote:
Imperious wrote:

Yeah, those don't have the pressure relief cuts in the top like the others do.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6015 of 27502, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
2017-07-02 15.45.31.jpg
Filename
2017-07-02 15.45.31.jpg
File size
2.44 MiB
Views
File license
2017-07-03 19.18.10.jpg
Filename
2017-07-03 19.18.10.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license

building a pc104 to isa adapter cable, at this point only 8 bit cards works so its something, need to finish the last set of cables.

Reply 6016 of 27502, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:
Imperious wrote:

Is that rust? It looks like electrolytic leakage due to the capacitors rupturing from the bottom?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6017 of 27502, by Vincent_Vega_SA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was thinking I found ideal laptop for my MS-DOS gaming needs : Compaq Armada 100s..
After some cleaning ,CPU fan replacement and non-compaq power supply modification it was ready to go.
It is really nice machine with K6-2+ in it, which allows to change multiplier using K6Speed and also cache (L1 and L2) could be disabled.
BUT after many looong hours I realized sound is a problem, it's no way to use integrated CS4299 chip for DOS games.
So, I'm searching again..

infoLQ.jpg
Filename
infoLQ.jpg
File size
315.3 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6018 of 27502, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IBM NetVista MASTER RACE!

http://imgur.com/a/KRyCR

All it needs is more RAM.

Attachments

• ZCjSYvV.jpg
    Filename
    ZCjSYvV.jpg
    File size
    538 KiB
    Views
    File license

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6019 of 27502, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

IBM NetVista MASTER RACE!

http://imgur.com/a/KRyCR

All it needs is more RAM.

Not an IBM Cultist myself but that's a beautiful machine all the same? What is the base model?

Anywho, on to what I've been doing. I've been using a 48x IDE CD-ROM on my main to archive all of my older CD ROM based games. I think this drive might give up the ghost before I'm done. I'm 20 disks in and it's already sounding like it's having issues maintaining high speeds. The front also gets hot to the touch. I'm really only focusing on my disks that are loose inside mass CD binders or are jewel case only. My boxed games are kept on a shelf and are reasonably well protected plus I don't like taking them off the shelf and opening them very often as so much as one dent severely degrades a box in my opinion. Good drive though while it lasts, it's maintaining 25-35x read speeds where as my DVD-RW SATA drive never brings CDs up above 22x or so for some reason.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction