VOGONS

Reply 6121 of 27505, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to dissect my iMac G3/600 Matshita CD-RW and there were issues inside the drive:

The belt slipped off, the laser was damaged, and the motor was toast. I even tried replacing the drive with a tray loading DVD burner from a laptop that uses the same proprietary connector, and nothing since the cable that connects to the daughterboard is short.

Well, time to buy a Superdrive online.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6122 of 27505, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

installed MorphOS on my mac mini G4 1.5ghz/1gb (that I also just got last week)

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 6123 of 27505, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assembled my Pentium 3 Voodoo 3 system after moving to a new place. It never had a case so it was always just out in the open running on a plastic tote. 😵 (trying to find a cheap modern case and not really caring all too much is why) So during the move the motherboard got basically tossed into a tote full of random miscellaneous house stuff by the GF's cousin. I figured it was toast then.

I moved it to a straw wicker basket and while placing the basket in my SUV and leaving it for 5mins it started to rain out of nowhere for a few minutes and I'm sure more then a few drops fell on my 440BX as I had the trunk open. 😠 After all that though she still boots up no problem and I haven't had any issues. I wish I could get the damn cat to stop brushing against my motherboard when I'm not using it. 😠 I should probably move it somewhere else. 🤣

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 6124 of 27505, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally found the time to test the main part of my next project. Its a ECS Elite UMC UM8810PAIO Rev 2.1. It came with the 1.2 Voltage regulator and PS2 port. I had a Its ST DX266 to test out.

Set the board up with 2x8mb Sims but it would not post. After some reading of the manual, J10 needs all the pins shorted for 5v. I didn't have enough jumpers to hand! I set the Voltage regulator to 4v and powered the machine on and it posted! Will now start getting parts together and build this thing up. Sound is going to be the toughest part!

C7TVdfBl.jpg
NhJCRlNl.jpg

Reply 6125 of 27505, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, my Celeron-433 rig is finally ready now that the replacement floppy drive has been installed. last night I got around to reinstalling Windows 95 OSR2.1 on its new Maxtor 13GB hard drive, and today I've added the finishing touches.

The Intel chipset driver was the first driver to be installed and I finally got USB working since I remembered to install the USB supplement beforehand, next was the ATI Rage Pro video driver and finally the Sound Blaster AWE64 drivers with Windows and DOS sound support.

Last but not least was the software I mainly use on this system, including:
- Plus! 95
- Office 95
- Intellipoint 2.1 (needed for the mouse wheel to work)
- Intervideo WinDVD

To test WinDVD I've inserted a DVD to see if it played and it played really good, eventually I'll install the unofficial NUSBSUPP package to see if I can get this system to play nice with my USB flash drives.

Reply 6126 of 27505, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
Well, my Celeron-433 rig is finally ready now that the replacement floppy drive has been installed. last night I got around to r […]
Show full quote

Well, my Celeron-433 rig is finally ready now that the replacement floppy drive has been installed. last night I got around to reinstalling Windows 95 OSR2.1 on its new Maxtor 13GB hard drive, and today I've added the finishing touches.

The Intel chipset driver was the first driver to be installed and I finally got USB working since I remembered to install the USB supplement beforehand, next was the ATI Rage Pro video driver and finally the Sound Blaster AWE64 drivers with Windows and DOS sound support.

Last but not least was the software I mainly use on this system, including:
- Plus! 95
- Office 95
- Intellipoint 2.1 (needed for the mouse wheel to work)
- Intervideo WinDVD

To test WinDVD I've inserted a DVD to see if it played and it played really good, eventually I'll install the unofficial NUSBSUPP package to see if I can get this system to play nice with my USB flash drives.

Is the Celeron 433 a Slot 1 or Socket 370? Interesting system as well.

Reply 6127 of 27505, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Its a known issue that some PC1066 modules just wont work with the 3x multiplier. The TH7-II wont POST using the 4x multiplier at 133 MHz FSB unless you are lucky and got ICS RDRAM driver chips on the board capable of that speed. The best memory modules to get are 45ns PC800 memory as this is was the board was made for and these always will work with both the 4x multi at 100 MHz FSB and with the 3x multiplier at 133 MHz FSB.

Ok looks like you're right. I used my PC800-45 RDRAM modules to set FSB to 100 and multiplier to 4x. Then I swapped in my PC1066 RDRAM, and it POST's fine. I even set it to 133 FSB and 4X multipler, and it posted at 532 RDRAM. I think the ICS 9212-03's are good to go.

I actually tried and failed to update the BIOS on my Abit TH7II today. I get some weird lockout jumper error. I check the manual and there is no BIOS lockout jumper. I searched online and people say its either a corrupt BIOS (seems unlikely as it can get into Windows fine) or the CPU is not supported. That makes sense since I'm using a P4-2.26. Unfortunately, I don't have any 400 FSB P4-478's. Might need to buy one just for BIOS update. At least they're cheap.

Reply 6128 of 27505, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

glory

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard01.jpg
    File size
    325.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6130 of 27505, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

glory

*sploosh*

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6131 of 27505, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, after a horrible day ending in tech support for a user whose anger management issues tend to rival my own, I decided to pick up the Man Cave when I got home and found the power adapter cable I needed for the Floppy drives on my 286 so I could swap out the power supplies (the 250 Watter it has has a noisy fan). I threw the 200 watt PSU in it with the adapter, and sorted out a few small issues - mainly the Turbo LED not working, Also had to diagnose why the floppy drives were not working as it turned out I put the 3.5" Drive cable in upside down. Also had to troubleshoot some issues wit hte Turbo LED as it was not working (fixed that pretty fast).

Tried installing Windows 2000 on the 486 over the weekend, after the initial boot it logs in but any reboot after that and msgina.dll claims it cannot load and click "RESTART" to continue. Kind of aggrivating. I hear SP4 will fix it, so I'll probably pull a late nighter on the weekend and play around with it when I have some time. Already have SP4 rollup in EXE - just need to burn it to CD.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 6132 of 27505, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

@oeuvre

BTW, for anyone interested, that phone number doesn't work. just rings.

Typical of HP support!

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6133 of 27505, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got around to working on the one surviving machine from that lot I picked up for $1 on ebay 😀

Needed a new Dallas RTC, so ordered from ebay and finally arrived last night. Stuck it on the board and it worked first try. Started testing the parts since the CMOS settings would actually keep between reboots now. Having issues getting some DVD drives to reliably work with the CD drivers I have available, but everything else seems to work fine. May have to swap for a different color faceplate drive which I was trying to avoid, but if it works, that'll be good enough for me.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 6134 of 27505, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

It's a Socket 370 Celeron on a Slotket adapter, the CPU was pulled from an old Gateway that suffered from motherboard failure a few years back, my motherboard is an ASUS P2B-VE which was supposedly from an HP Pavilion desktop of some sort, uses the Intel 440BX chipset which is a nice bonus.

IMG_1137.JPG
Filename
IMG_1137.JPG
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File comment
Inside the C433 rig
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A picture of the outside of the case can be found on this thread, once I get the pics uploaded to imgur I'll post it on the retro rig thread at some point.

Reply 6135 of 27505, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
It's a Socket 370 Celeron on a Slotket adapter, the CPU was pulled from an old Gateway that suffered from motherboard failure a […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

It's a Socket 370 Celeron on a Slotket adapter, the CPU was pulled from an old Gateway that suffered from motherboard failure a few years back, my motherboard is an ASUS P2B-VE which was supposedly from an HP Pavilion desktop of some sort, uses the Intel 440BX chipset which is a nice bonus.

IMG_1137.JPG

A picture of the outside of the case can be found on this thread, once I get the pics uploaded to imgur I'll post it on the retro rig thread at some point.

Interesting system. Forgot the Socket 370 to Slot 1 adapters existed, and I guess it varies by the chipset and BIOS for the Pentium III/Celeron processor support?

Reply 6136 of 27505, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished my first PC from early '98, not all parts are original but the replacements are close to the original ones.

Pentium II "Deschutes" 333 @ 375MHz (originally Pentium II "Klamath" 300)
Abit LX6 (originally Asus P2L97)
64 MB PC66 SDRAM, double height/32 chips (original one)
ATI Expert@Work 8MB AGP (originally Expert@Play)
Seagate Medalist Pro 6,4GB (original one)
Philips DVDR1640P (originally the Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr2 kit)
3Com Fast EtherLink 3C595 (used this in my original rig, but had an EtherLink III Combo PCI at first)
Sound Blaster AWE64 Value (original one)
Enlight midi tower (original one)
Chieftec 250W PSU (originally some piece of junk)

Also added a few upgrades:
3dfx Voodoo2 12MB
Aureal Vortex
IBM 4,3GB HDD
I might also add some more RAM to it.

Installed Windows 98SE and foobar2000 v0.8.3 and using it as a CD player ATM. 🤣

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 6137 of 27505, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beautiful! Any pictures?

128MB RAM on that thing would make it definitely run smoother

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6139 of 27505, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thoroughly cleaned a nice case I got yesterday. It was so very dirty, but all clean now. Now that I have this one I really have too much AT cases, time to get rid of some haha.

LsOlo3cl.jpg

AsAXjRcl.jpg

JhoUuV0l.jpg

EraY98Ml.jpg

Ifi3ooUl.jpg

1982 to 2001