VOGONS

Reply 6200 of 27586, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
Deksor wrote:

I oiled the fan of the PSU of my new 386. Now it doesn't sound like a plane anymore ^^. I hope it'll stay silent for a while.

By oiling the fan I hope you mean repacking the barrings. Oiling the daft will only last so long

And I hope you did not use wd-40 because that's not a lubricating oil.

Sewing-machine/gun-oil does the trick. When oiling, I usually peel back the sticker and leave it open with one drop of oil for 15 minutes. Then rotating a couple of times and put the sticker back. Remember to clean up if oil is spilled were the sticker goes. And I allways have the hole facing up. Gravity usually drags the oil down into the barring.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6201 of 27586, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've replaced the CPU fan on my HP e-Vectra - the original fan sounded like a toy car motor and it didn't seem cool enough to properly maintain the CPU's temperature, the replacement fan (which is a Cooler Master 80mm fan from a busted heatsink) sounds much nicer and feels cooler so that's nice, I think eventually I'll get around to replacing the fans on the Antec PSU inside my Athlon 64 rig, I believe I have some donors that are just the right sizes which should make that process easier.

I'm retiring the Dell Dimension 4300S - that system was a bit of a pain to keep running especially with the replacement USB front hub causing Windows to start up slower due to the replacement front hub coming from a GX280 which has USB 2.0 unlike the 4300S (which is based upon the GX240) which has USB 1.1 so the much newer GX280 front hub board had the tendency to act up, the AGP slot being low-profile only is a major issue for its' role as a 9x gaming PC because it's hard for me to find "good" affordable low-profile AGP cards aside from crappy low-end Geforces, and taking a CRT monitor off of it just to take it apart gets old quick, I've ordered an Optiplex GX150 Mini-Tower to replace it so hopefully that works better.

Reply 6202 of 27586, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I thought focus was usually fixable via 2 internal knobs (which on one occasion I've made externally accessible by cutting a hole in the casing). Why throw it away over such an easy fix? Even if you have to adjust it every couple of days it's only 2-5 minutes of work.

It'd be one thing if it held a specific focus consistently, but I'm talking about it staying in focus for a few hours, then suddenly turning into a blurfest when it's stayed on too long. That implies far more extensive work to properly fix, on top of the fact that the internal speakers were not working at all. It'd have to be a full-on refurb project.

You also have to take into account how often I get complaints from my stepfather for having too much old computer hardware in the house that he just wants to get rid of, even before I took in that last batch of stuff. As it stands, I have a few other CRT monitors to use that outclass the old Multiple Scan 15AV quite handily, even if they lack the period-appropriateness of an actual Apple monitor. If I gotta downsize, the non-working stuff goes first.

Also, If I'm going to tear open a CRT for repair, my dead GDM-FW900 comes first (I think the D board/flyback gave up the ghost, but left everything else intact), followed by my dying GDM-5410. It's hard to do better than those, even if Sony seriously dropped the ball on FD Trinitron production somewhere for them to all be dying out like this. The FW900 is especially worthy of resurrection, but spare parts are expensive and hard to come by, with a new D board being offered by someone on [H]ardForum for a whopping $300.

Even if the GDM-5410 outright died, I could downgrade a bit to this ViewSonic A70 I have in storage and still not have to suffer asstastic LCD quality on my retro systems. It's not the greatest of CRT monitors by any stretch, being a little 17" shadow mask that only does 1280x1024 at flicker-inducing refresh rates, but it's been plenty reliable in the time that I've used it. I also ordered a DB-15 to DE-15 VGA adapter, so it's trivial to connect VGA monitors like that to the 6500 or IIcx. (But I'll probably stick with the AppleColor 13" RGB monitor on the IIcx anyway; it works, it's period-appropriate, and it's a Trinitron.)

Reply 6203 of 27586, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

Added a 5.5V 0.22F super capacitor to my 386 motherboard. Works like a charm !

supercondo.png

All I need now is to glue it in place as only one of it's leg is really soldered in, as you can see, that cap was too short so I had to add a wire

So how do you plan to recharge it some day when it drains? Or replace it when it drains? It looks like a permanent install... 😕 😕

Reply 6204 of 27586, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The deadly varta batteries are accumulators so the motherboard recharged the battery. Now that a supercap is in there, it gets recharged every time I turn the computer on just like the old battery ^^ that's why when you replace varta batteries with CR2032, you need a diode to stop the recharge current and that's why varta batteries were soldered in place ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6205 of 27586, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got through the rest of my computer collection and wrote up spec sheets for them for reference. (e.g. CPU, RAM, HDD, OS, etc etc)

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 6206 of 27586, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Liqmat was so generous to send me the IBM model 80 knockoff case in this post: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

I got it in yesterday, and made a video opening it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv49zs4lO4Y

Sorry for the poor audio, its been 90F+ lately (30C+) and I dont have A/C, so I was fighting fan noise.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6207 of 27586, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried to update my Abit TH7II bios with a Willamette 1.6 GHz P4. No dice. Still says something about a lockout jumper.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm using Award899 and the bios from:
http://soggi.eu/motherboards/abit.htm#S478

Trying to find another version, not having much luck so far.

Edit: Found some random website with what seems like legitimate backups of the Abit TH7II bios as well as the awdflash program. Tried the (latest - 1) BIOS. No flash success... it was just stuck on flashing. At least my system can still boot to floppy. It just makes a very annoying wee-woo wee-woo sounds.

Reply 6208 of 27586, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Liqmat was so generous to send me the IBM model 80 knockoff case in this post: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

I got it in yesterday, and made a video opening it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv49zs4lO4Y

Sorry for the poor audio, its been 90F+ lately (30C+) and I dont have A/C, so I was fighting fan noise.

Great video and I am very glad it got a good home. It was on its way to the recycle center so a nice save for sure!

Reply 6209 of 27586, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, this is rage-inducing. It seems like my Power Mac 6500's floppy drive suddenly doesn't want to work despite having worked just fine before, because it suddenly can't read ANY of my disks, even the ones it read just fine before.

I suspect it may be a poor connection along the motherboard edge connector somewhere and that I'll have to reseat it. The drive noticeably clicks and whirrs, it just can't read anything, and a formatting attempt on one of my more expendable disks didn't actually rewrite the contents at all despite its best efforts.

If this doesn't work out, I'll have to try and read the disks (at least the 1.44MB FDHD ones) through my P4EE box, presumably through Windows XP, and all while keeping the data intact. I can't use the IIcx for this while it fails to power on, so I'll just have to order the caps on my next paycheck or two.

Damn shame, since the 6500 is a good bridge machine because of that very floppy drive, while still being modern enough to use USB and Ethernet through PCI cards. I need to figure out how to make it work again.

On a brighter note, I got around to opening up this box of IIcx-related books that I overlooked at first. A lot of them cover ancient productivity software nobody deals with in a post-MS Office world, but one of the unexpected inclusions was a Falcon MC manual and disk. This oughtta go nicely alongside my Falcon 4.0 binder.

Reply 6210 of 27586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NamelessPlayer wrote:
Well, this is rage-inducing. It seems like my Power Mac 6500's floppy drive suddenly doesn't want to work despite having worked […]
Show full quote

Well, this is rage-inducing. It seems like my Power Mac 6500's floppy drive suddenly doesn't want to work despite having worked just fine before, because it suddenly can't read ANY of my disks, even the ones it read just fine before.

I suspect it may be a poor connection along the motherboard edge connector somewhere and that I'll have to reseat it. The drive noticeably clicks and whirrs, it just can't read anything, and a formatting attempt on one of my more expendable disks didn't actually rewrite the contents at all despite its best efforts.

If this doesn't work out, I'll have to try and read the disks (at least the 1.44MB FDHD ones) through my P4EE box, presumably through Windows XP, and all while keeping the data intact. I can't use the IIcx for this while it fails to power on, so I'll just have to order the caps on my next paycheck or two.

Damn shame, since the 6500 is a good bridge machine because of that very floppy drive, while still being modern enough to use USB and Ethernet through PCI cards. I need to figure out how to make it work again.

On a brighter note, I got around to opening up this box of IIcx-related books that I overlooked at first. A lot of them cover ancient productivity software nobody deals with in a post-MS Office world, but one of the unexpected inclusions was a Falcon MC manual and disk. This oughtta go nicely alongside my Falcon 4.0 binder.

Check for dirt and dust on the heads as well since dirt and dust can collect over time when in storage.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6211 of 27586, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had to reinstall Windows 98 SE on 1 of my Pentium III PCs, as it was missing system files for some reason.

Once I'd done that, I decided to install BeOS 5 Personal Edition to have a play around with. I used to run BeOS 5 back in the day on this same PC and the spec hasn't really changed that much since then.

Spec:

Gigabyte GA-6BXE Rev. 2, Slot 1 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 650MHz
512MB PC100 SDRAM
40GB IDE HDD
Nvidia TNT2 32MB AGP Graphics
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound
Intel Pro 100/S PCI Ethernet
Also dual booting with Windows XP Pro.

After installing the Nvidia driver for BeOS/Haiku, it seems to be running quite nicely. The GL Teapot test before the Nvidia driver was installed struggled to get 30fps with the default small window size, after the driver install it was hitting over 130+. 😎

Only played the BeOS port of Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition so far and that ran well also. I'll have to try and dig out the BeOS port of Quake II to experiment some more.

I tried to run the port of Wolfenstein 3D, but was unsuccesful so far. I did manage to install the trial version of Opera 3, which allowed me to access the BeBytes website and download some software. I'll need to play around a bit and try and figure out how to install Firefox 3 or SeaMonkey 1.8.

I also installed the Haiku OS on this PC and played around with that for a bit. Other than offering access to a more up to date web browser and some other modern improvements, it wasn't all that useful for me due to the lack of compatibility with many BeOS apps, so I'll probably just install BeOS 5 Professional or the "Developer Edition" at a later date instead.

Reply 6212 of 27586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Looking at one of my cards here and you could pretty easily retrofit a regular modern 5-post wheel volume control onto the card. […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

Decided to solder on 2 new jacks for my Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro since the left channel was getting weak/erratic at times. The jacks that were the culprits were the line in and microphone jacks and fortunately, I have a lot of jacks left and they did fit nicely on the card and it was successful, even though my soldering skills aren't great, and my MacGyver mode was set to full throttle to remove the busted jacks.

The next project for that card is a new potentiometer, which is hard to find that online these days, unless I can find a sound card parts website and purchase a new One, a desoldering iron with the pump, and desoldering braid as well (solder wick).

Looking at one of my cards here and you could pretty easily retrofit a regular modern 5-post wheel volume control onto the card. You would just have to run a couple wires for posts that don't line up with the holes on the card.

Really cheap on eBay. Just search for:
volume potentiometer wheel
and match up the value you need. Measured my card and it looks like it used close to 10k for the max resistance. Make sure to get the 5 post + ground... I think they should work, you just have to work out what legs to use.

Here is an instructable that may help.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Universal-Ear … Volume-Control/

I removed the potentiometer on my Sound card since it was erratic at times and rusty. Here's the pinout of the sound card for the potentiometer:

20170802_194853.jpg
Filename
20170802_194853.jpg
File size
3.5 MiB
Views
File comment
Potentiometer pinout (top)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20170802_194847.jpg
Filename
20170802_194847.jpg
File size
3.22 MiB
Views
File comment
Potentiometer pinout (bottom)
File license

Looks like this in a matter of speaking:

. LCI  . Gnd
. LCO . RCI
. Gnd . RCO
Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2017-08-04, 14:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6213 of 27586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to take a potentiometer out of a busted portable cassette player (was the volume potentiometer) to make a balance control for an Aztech AZT2316R that has balance issues in the outputs, and I have to say it's successful.

20170803_143754.jpg
Filename
20170803_143754.jpg
File size
2.5 MiB
Views
File comment
Redneck balancer
File license

Reply 6214 of 27586, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Decided to take a potentiometer out of a busted portable cassette player (was the volume potentiometer) to make a balance control for an Aztech AZT2316R that has balance issues in the outputs, and I have to say it's successful.

20170803_143754.jpg

Yup, you win the redneck hack of the day.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6215 of 27586, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does watching this page in avid fascination count as retro activity?
http://cachemonet.com/

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6217 of 27586, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Does watching this page in avid fascination count as retro activity?
http://cachemonet.com/

No, that counts as an acid trip.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6218 of 27586, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know, I find the randomly generated retro art mesmerizing. The Win9x sounds mixed into the music are icing on the cake.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks