VOGONS

Reply 6380 of 27420, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Finished installing all 1998 games I'm interested in on my PIII machine. Tomorrow night I will install the 1999 games. It will then become my GoTo retro PC I believe 😀 I so love this build.

I will likely make a photoshoot post of it in System Specs soon.

Nice. I just finished setting up my 1996-2002 laptop yesterday. Sony Vaio with a Pentium M and a Mobility 9200. CD drive is trash though, it only reads about 1/5 disks I try.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6381 of 27420, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Previous to finding Vogons I thought I was the only person who had several retro gaming PCs each for different periods- People said I was insane to do that and why shouldn't I just "install W98 on one PC" or "use DOSBox". Thank god i'm not the only person who does this.

My era specific PCs are two I haven't finished working on yet:

486SX 25mhz 8mb RAM 840mb HDD, Win3.11 and ACUMOS AVGA1 video card: 1986 - 1996

AMD Athlon 1.1ghz 1.3gb RAM 30gb HDD, don't know what to install and ATI Radeon 7000 video card: 1997 - 2007

Since those two PCs are far apart time period wise, I'll probably build or buy a PC from the mid 90s for 1994 - 1998 stuff.

Reply 6382 of 27420, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just grabbed a pair of hynix ddr2 800mhz modules out of my spare phenom ii rig instead of the 2g g.skill ddr2 667 sticks I originally tried. What do you know, they work perfectly on the ecs board. So mixing the g.skill sticks in with the rest of the hynix on the phenom rig at 667mhz. Not a bad trade off to make his multi-tab browsing a bit snappier.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6383 of 27420, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rawrl wrote:

Yeah, I had one as my main computer way back when, it went through several hardware iterations. The only major problem with them is most of them don't use a standard-sized ATX power supply, and have no way to mount one.

A Dremel is your friend and a SFX PSU with an ATX bracket. I have a nice spunky Corsair SF450 in there humming along. I used the SilverStone bracket instead of the Corsair version because it is the only bracket I could find with a stabilizing metal lip which helps keep that little guy mounted solid. Many of the late 90s Gateway cases have standard ATX screw holes, but have two issues. The offset screw hole is on the bottom rather than the top meaning you ATX PSU fan will be facing upwards in the case which wont be ideal for helping cool the guts of the case and the metal cutout in back is so small it leaves no room for the three prong power plug or power switch if there is one. SFX with bracket solves both issues. I did Dremel a tiny bit of the case in back so the power switch on the PSU sat flush against the case wall. Making a video of my build. Should be up soon hopefully.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BYB33J8/ref … 4r3L&ref=plSrch

Reply 6384 of 27420, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
harddrivespin wrote:
Previous to finding Vogons I thought I was the only person who had several retro gaming PCs each for different periods- People s […]
Show full quote

Previous to finding Vogons I thought I was the only person who had several retro gaming PCs each for different periods- People said I was insane to do that and why shouldn't I just "install W98 on one PC" or "use DOSBox". Thank god i'm not the only person who does this.

My era specific PCs are two I haven't finished working on yet:

486SX 25mhz 8mb RAM 840mb HDD, Win3.11 and ACUMOS AVGA1 video card: 1986 - 1996

AMD Athlon 1.1ghz 1.3gb RAM 30gb HDD, don't know what to install and ATI Radeon 7000 video card: 1997 - 2007

Since those two PCs are far apart time period wise, I'll probably build or buy a PC from the mid 90s for 1994 - 1998 stuff.

You'll find that some of us have tens of different PCs and a "mountain" of different parts 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6385 of 27420, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

ECS says this about all there 9xx chipset boards. I ran 2x2GB in a 945GCT (an INFERIOR board) fine. If that's the eMachines variant of the board you can flash it to the normal versions bios without issues

Very true. I have run across many boards that state a max of 2GB, but in reality will recognize just over 3GB which makes a big difference in performace Vista on up. You wont be hammering the swap file so much. I have a MSI K9MM-V AM2 budget board that states a max of 2GB, but takes 2x2 and uses just over 3GB.

Reply 6386 of 27420, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fun fact the solder points are present for a full pcie x16 slot above the x16 @x4. And the slightly more expensive version has that slot.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6388 of 27420, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Slight upgrade. Bezel swap.

Attachments

• SQwgkrY.jpg
    Filename
    SQwgkrY.jpg
    File size
    403.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • oAVnpbQ.jpg
    Filename
    oAVnpbQ.jpg
    File size
    257.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6390 of 27420, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

May be getting an XT machine, so I started to look up 5.25" floppy drives to hook up to my Gateway so I can move data back and forth to it. Heading down to my trusty PC shop which saves almost everything and see what hey have. Not paying $40.00 or more for a floppy drive on Ebay. At least dual head floppy cables are still cheap.

Reply 6391 of 27420, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

May be getting an XT machine, so I started to look up 5.25" floppy drives to hook up to my Gateway so I can move data back and forth to it. Heading down to my trusty PC shop which saves almost everything and see what hey have. Not paying $40.00 or more for a floppy drive on Ebay. At least dual head floppy cables are still cheap.

Be sure to research the different types and compatibilities. I recall that some 1.2MB floppy drives can't write/read 360KB floppies in a way that is compatible with 360KB drives.

1982 to 2001

Reply 6392 of 27420, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's one sweet looking Dell - the old bezel does look better to me as it lends viable contrast to the overall look.

Got the GA486 VS8 finally stable at 50mhz busspeed. Changed the ram to a 32MB FPM/60ns module, the cpu to an Am"5x86" and changed a vital detail in the bios... ISA bus divider to 1/5 from 1/4, which was causing instablity here and there(DoomII timedemo3 crash, in Quake... again crash during timedemo). Windows 98SE is running fine too, but I'm, of course, still a bit sceptical.

The only thing that does not run correctly on this board is speedsys - even at 25mhz fsb and underclocked cpu. It passes the mem test but crashes when plotting the graphs.

Doom shareware reached 60.72fps and even Doom II/1.9's "heavy" demo1(Map11) yields a respectable 41.34fps. Also Map22 plays fairly smoothly which is one of The make or break maps for a 486.
Quake demo1 yields ~14.1 fps. timerefresh at map "start" gives ~10.7

Reply 6393 of 27420, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Created some 20 D64 image files from the disks I got today. I did it on the C64.
Used an SD2IEC as device 8 and the 1541-II drive as device 9. Saved the files on SD-Card.
Those old disks need to be backed up.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6394 of 27420, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Be sure to research the different types and compatibilities. I recall that some 1.2MB floppy drives can't write/read 360KB floppies in a way that is compatible with 360KB drives.

Just picked up a TEAC 5.25" floppy drive and dual head floppy cable for $5 from that store so we'll see if it works. For that money, no worries.

Reply 6395 of 27420, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found an Apple IIc Plus system in a flea market. To be clear, I mean just the system unit. No power cables, monitors, disks or anything else. Asked the guy how much he wanted and he responded $200. I just walked away, that is an outrageous price for something not even guaranteed to work.

I need to move in with one of you guys who finds cool stuff for cheap in these flea markets 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 6396 of 27420, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

Found an Apple IIc Plus system in a flea market. To be clear, I mean just the system unit. No power cables, monitors, disks or anything else. Asked the guy how much he wanted and he responded $200. I just walked away, that is an outrageous price for something not even guaranteed to work.

I need to move in with one of you guys who finds cool stuff for cheap in these flea markets 🤣

I would have laughed, and offered him $15 dollars. Which is about the value of that in aforementioned condition. It's not even rare.

Scalpers are idiots.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6397 of 27420, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Idk why 5.25 drives are so expensive on eBay. Again, not exactly something that's rare.

Reply 6398 of 27420, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Idk why 5.25 drives are so expensive on eBay. Again, not exactly something that's rare.

Because there are a lot of dumbass greedy scalpers. So irritating.

Reply 6399 of 27420, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

Because there are a lot of dumbass greedy scalpers. So irritating.

I'm selling stuff on eBay ATM and I don't get out of bed for less than 40 bucks - you gotta do the photos, write a description, deal with the fucktards who send requests for BINs or ask dumb questions, then package things well (5 1/4 drives for example are fragile and need some effort to protect), and then drag the shite to the local P.O.

Giving stuff away or just tossing it out starts to look pretty good when I start considering the effort to reward ratio of selling retro hardware.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.