VOGONS

Reply 7142 of 27442, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Also nice work.

Appreciated, thank you. Admittedly, I mainly do this stuff when I should be asleep, and sometimes just say GOOD ENOUGH and save it. Ah well, who else would bother to make such limited-purpose icons?

gdjacobs wrote:

Crusader plays wonderfully on a 486 DX2.

I'll have to try it out. The last time I played it was when Windows 95 was still new.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 7143 of 27442, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some more solder work on the sound card since the volume was too low and the traces were breaking off at some spos, but I jumpers wires to those affected areas and it looks okay to me.

Going to do another smoke test to see if the output volume is back again.

aurdOYhh.jpg

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7144 of 27442, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The standard in this community should be to pass dead hardware onto people who can fix it unless its something obviously unfixable even by the most skilled user.

Uh ha - so you want me to ship my dead Trident all the way to whatever planet you live on? That’s gonna cost you.

I have enough trouble giving away working hardware.

Yeah, shipping cost would be a bitch unless you can give it to someone else in Australia. Your entire postal system seems like it's based around extortion the second you want to ship anything into or out of the country.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 7145 of 27442, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's still morning so nothing yet, but yesterday I've fixed an 386SX board that couldn't recognize any keyboard (trace ate up by leaked battery) and recapped one spare Mac IIcx board. Today, I'm planning on testing (and modding if necessary) some memory in my PS/2 55SX.

Reply 7146 of 27442, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
badmojo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The standard in this community should be to pass dead hardware onto people who can fix it unless its something obviously unfixable even by the most skilled user.

Uh ha - so you want me to ship my dead Trident all the way to whatever planet you live on? That’s gonna cost you.

I have enough trouble giving away working hardware.

Yeah, shipping cost would be a bitch unless you can give it to someone else in Australia. Your entire postal system seems like it's based around extortion the second you want to ship anything into or out of the country.

Partially agreed. We can't ship anything out of here cheaply, but there are always ways to ship items in at a reasonable cost.

Reply 7147 of 27442, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bumped up my Pentium 233MHz build from a 2MB Trident TGUI9680-1 2MB PCI video card to a 4MB Matrox Millennium.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7148 of 27442, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reformatted an IPC/Archtec HighNote S15 (aka Uniwill UN350D?) and installed the English OEM version of Windows ME, due to me not speaking german. Everything plays nicely, no keyboard hotkey driver though. On teh internets it seems as if this notebook never existed 😕 Now to see if I can grab it from the old installation somehow, I've kept a full disk backup.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 7149 of 27442, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested all my non used power supplies and labeled them all with power and rails and how the noise levels are. Found some nice quiet ones, so I ended up swapping out my P4 power supply that was pretty noisy.

Reply 7150 of 27442, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered 100 32Kx8 srams form China(40 -10ns generics and 60, pretty authentic looking, -12ns ones).
On top of that I bought a "lot" of 32Kx8 15ns from private sellers on various platforms. Raking the "cache" in so to speak.

Reply 7151 of 27442, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Bumped up my Pentium 233MHz build from a 2MB Trident TGUI9680-1 2MB PCI video card to a 4MB Matrox Millennium.

I would've kept the Trident. It is a somewhat uncommon quirky PCI card, that has charm. I would rather add a Voodoo to the system or a Matrox m3D.

Reply 7152 of 27442, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought two 1GB ECC PC133 CL3 SDRAM sticks from ebay. Hopefully, thanks to them, I will be able to upgrade my QDI Advance 10T to 2GB of RAM. According to a thread I've found here, my chipset (VIA Apollo Pro 133T) might actually run faster with ECC RAM modules and if that's true, it would be cool. Otherwise I can just run the system at 2,5GB with ECC disabled.

What I mostly hope is that my motherboard handles the stick and that the VRM won't pop like a popcorn. The stick is 3,3v just like the ones I have installed at the moment, so theoretically, it should handle it. We'll see...

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 7153 of 27442, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

I would've kept the Trident. It is a somewhat uncommon quirky PCI card, that has charm. I would rather add a Voodoo to the system or a Matrox m3D.

That Trident is bearable, but probably matched to a low end Pentium really.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7154 of 27442, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Testing this lot out finally after having the Music Quest card for a good while now. Initially I couldn't get any of the Modules to work, Would not receive any midi messages. It turned out to be a dodgy breakout cable. Manage to 'Bodge' one temporarily and happy to say they both work. I have a Korg N5SR on its way to add to my midi stack.

Hkxft5bl.jpg
t0nZ79ol.jpg

Reply 7155 of 27442, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:
Testing this lot out finally after having the Music Quest card for a good while now. Initially I couldn't get any of the Modules […]
Show full quote

Testing this lot out finally after having the Music Quest card for a good while now. Initially I couldn't get any of the Modules to work, Would not receive any midi messages. It turned out to be a dodgy breakout cable. Manage to 'Bodge' one temporarily and happy to say they both work. I have a Korg N5SR on its way to add to my midi stack.

Hkxft5bl.jpg
t0nZ79ol.jpg

Interesting. Hope the card's ROM is version 010 since that supports every game ever (version 004 didn't work with some games).

On the side note, I tested my Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro after the soldering job, and I can honestly say, it almost works. What works is the sound output after jumpering 2 wires from the potentiometer to the corresponding spots by following the traces and placed solder on the traces to link to the other spots. The Mic input works somewhat, but not very well (going to jumper the pins to the appropriate pins by following the traces), and the Line-In still doesn't work, but I can fix that (trace end points where the rivets/eyelets go broke off). Before, I had no sound output since the traces and rivets/eyelets broke off or had missing pieces.

Edit: I looked at the picture above in my post and noticed some solder was missing on the Line-In ground.

Edit 2: Yesterday (Nov. 7th), I decided to desolder the pins for the Mic and Line-In jacks and re-soldered those areas with wires jumpering to the appropriate pins on the sound card for the Mic jack with my desoldering iron which did put the appropriate amount of solder on the sound card. I'm planning on buying the soldering portion since the parts are detachable to swap parts between the soldering and desoldering modes.

Reply 7156 of 27442, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
[...] and a PCI multi I/O card. Why mention a pci I/O card? it has space for FLOPPY disks. Oh this one will be fun. ^.^ […]
Show full quote

[...] and a PCI multi I/O card. Why mention a pci I/O card? it has space for FLOPPY disks. Oh this one will be fun. ^.^

xOqle51m.jpg

Have you tested this one yet? Can you boot from it just as you could from an ISA controller? I have been looking for a card like this for a while now and havn't found anything anywhere. If anybody knows of cards similar to this, meaning having COM and FDD on an PCI card please let me know

Reply 7157 of 27442, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Eleanor1967 wrote:
luckybob wrote:
[...] and a PCI multi I/O card. Why mention a pci I/O card? it has space for FLOPPY disks. Oh this one will be fun. ^.^ […]
Show full quote

[...] and a PCI multi I/O card. Why mention a pci I/O card? it has space for FLOPPY disks. Oh this one will be fun. ^.^

xOqle51m.jpg

Have you tested this one yet? Can you boot from it just as you could from an ISA controller? I have been looking for a card like this for a while now and havn't found anything anywhere. If anybody knows of cards similar to this, meaning having COM and FDD on an PCI card please let me know

Weird there's a PCI version of the Multi I/O card (great as a backup if the on-board I/O stopped working on the motherboard).

Reply 7158 of 27442, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There were some early PCI boards that didn't have any i/o, or had limited onboard i/o.... most users ended up with crawly ISA HDD interfaces, because PCI i/o cards were rare and expensive.... You probably saved $5 using an i/o-less board and a ISA i/o... or cost yourself another $35 over the cost of a board WITH i/o by being a dilbert and buying the PCI i/o on top.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7159 of 27442, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Not today, but the other day I put water blocks on my 4890's

download/file.php?id=40185&mode=view
download/file.php?id=40184&mode=view