What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Stiletto » 2017-11-08 @ 16:46

bjwil1991 wrote:
Eleanor1967 wrote:
luckybob wrote: [...] and a PCI multi I/O card. Why mention a pci I/O card? it has space for FLOPPY disks. Oh this one will be fun. ^.^

Image


Have you tested this one yet? Can you boot from it just as you could from an ISA controller? I have been looking for a card like this for a while now and havn't found anything anywhere. If anybody knows of cards similar to this, meaning having COM and FDD on an PCI card please let me know

Weird there's a PCI version of the Multi I/O card (great as a backup if the on-board I/O stopped working on the motherboard).


2005 me would have really wanted to know about this! Please fully document it.
"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto
User avatar
Stiletto
l33t
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: 2002-7-01 @ 21:57

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-08 @ 17:17

That is a interesting card. Being PCI that is.
User avatar
Jade Falcon
l33t
 
Posts: 3169
Joined: 2016-5-08 @ 19:23
Location: Stuck in Silent Hill after bailing out of my Eyrie

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby amadeus777999 » 2017-11-08 @ 17:51

At long last, the cache configuration on the SI5PI AIO is complete now - all settings fastest and passed the "required" tests(memtest/Windows/Quake/Doom).
Each bank of eight 32K-15ns srams has the same production date as I wasn't able to get 16 "identical" chips though. The tag/dirty ram are 16K-12ns(manual states that only 32K should be used but it's really cool that it works with these "technically adequate" nonetheless).
Only real downside was that the Riva128 that I bought for the rig does not work in it.

Doom Shareware reached approximately 48.49fps - at a cpu clock of 66mhz a dandy result.
Attachments
P66 MemTest.jpg
SI5PI AIO - 512KB Cache, all settings fastest.jpg
User avatar
amadeus777999
Member
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 2013-7-04 @ 17:04

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby luckybob » 2017-11-08 @ 18:39

Stiletto wrote:2005 me would have really wanted to know about this! Please fully document it.


i will do what i can.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
User avatar
luckybob
l33t
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: 2009-4-30 @ 04:43

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Cyrix200+ » 2017-11-08 @ 21:04

Fixed my EGA monitor (really easy once I found the problem). Pics etc here: viewtopic.php?p=625782#p625782
Chaintech 6ITM | Pentium Pro 200MHz | Matrox G200 | SCSI | Windows NT4
AOpen AX59Pro | AMD K6-3+ 450MHz | Windows 98SE
Tyan Tiger 230T | 2x Pentium III-S 1.4GHz | ATi Radeon 9100 | Aureal Vortex 2 | Windows 2000
-
Image gallery | Inventory
User avatar
Cyrix200+
Oldbie
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 2015-5-11 @ 15:52
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby OldCat » 2017-11-08 @ 21:34

Dismantled my Toshiba T3200sx in order to replace Conner drive with CF card. Turned out more challenging than I thought, so it is still in progress.

20171108_151025.jpg
User avatar
OldCat
Newbie
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 2017-9-19 @ 09:37
Location: Eastern Europe

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Katmai500 » 2017-11-08 @ 22:43

I spent several hours trying to track down three AT mini towers with PSUs which a family member accidentally dropped off for recycling. I don't have them yet and the chances of recovery aren't looking very good. :depressed:
User avatar
Katmai500
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 2017-10-31 @ 14:08
Location: USA

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby TheAbandonwareGuy » 2017-11-08 @ 22:51

Katmai500 wrote:I spent several hours trying to track down three AT mini towers with PSUs which a family member accidentally dropped off for recycling. I don't have them yet and the chances of recovery aren't looking very good. :depressed:


Call every recycling center in your area ASAP. Report them stolen that way legally they must return them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6Z ... 2tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF256 SDR 32MB|CT4620
User avatar
TheAbandonwareGuy
Oldbie
 
Posts: 966
Joined: 2016-3-01 @ 02:09
Location: Southern Illinois, United States of America

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Katmai500 » 2017-11-08 @ 23:37

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Katmai500 wrote:I spent several hours trying to track down three AT mini towers with PSUs which a family member accidentally dropped off for recycling. I don't have them yet and the chances of recovery aren't looking very good. :depressed:


Call every recycling center in your area ASAP. Report them stolen that way legally they must return them.


Thanks for the tip. They were dropped off about two weeks ago at the local municipal recycling center, which gives them all to Goodwill. Goodwill has already picked them up. I spoke with Goodwill and they got me in touch with their recycling warehouse. I'm waiting for a call back from someone there. Even if I get one of them back I'll be happy at this point.
User avatar
Katmai500
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 2017-10-31 @ 14:08
Location: USA

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Mister Xiado » 2017-11-09 @ 00:50

Tested out a cheap VGA to s-video device. Not recommended for anything but giggles, as the aspect ratio outside of Windows is wrong. Audio is all kinds of jacked up due to the USB capture widget being used in conjunction with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeD8yQaPX_0
The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
Many a C64 - Radio Shack TRS-80 CoCo 2 - HP Vectra 486 66/XM - K6-2 300 -
Mac Plus - rebuilding a vast collection wrongfully taken from me.
User avatar
Mister Xiado
Newbie
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 2017-9-12 @ 23:04

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby TheAbandonwareGuy » 2017-11-09 @ 01:15

Katmai500 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Katmai500 wrote:I spent several hours trying to track down three AT mini towers with PSUs which a family member accidentally dropped off for recycling. I don't have them yet and the chances of recovery aren't looking very good. :depressed:


Call every recycling center in your area ASAP. Report them stolen that way legally they must return them.


Thanks for the tip. They were dropped off about two weeks ago at the local municipal recycling center, which gives them all to Goodwill. Goodwill has already picked them up. I spoke with Goodwill and they got me in touch with their recycling warehouse. I'm waiting for a call back from someone there. Even if I get one of them back I'll be happy at this point.


Yeah, Goodwill scraps old computers (fuck those bastards) so it doesn't look good sorry to say. That being said if there nice they might give you a couple of comparable cases. I'm sure they have a dozen at any given time.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6Z ... 2tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF256 SDR 32MB|CT4620
User avatar
TheAbandonwareGuy
Oldbie
 
Posts: 966
Joined: 2016-3-01 @ 02:09
Location: Southern Illinois, United States of America

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-09 @ 02:51

I work for goodwill. We donot scrap computers. Dell does it for us (in most regions). And we only give them junk. The good stuff we keep/use or sell when possible. Look up the Seattle goodwill, they sell top end stuff alot online.
And no we hardly ever have older stuff or at cases. Mostly just straight up crap trashed printers, lcds and cables make up the bulk of it. Every now and then we get in a laptop. the last old system (pre 2000) we gotten in my region was a crap Etower.


Edit: also you should pick you words alot better.
Saying f*** those b**** when voiceing your opinion of goodwill is like saying f those disabled/under privileged folks given our mission.
User avatar
Jade Falcon
l33t
 
Posts: 3169
Joined: 2016-5-08 @ 19:23
Location: Stuck in Silent Hill after bailing out of my Eyrie

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby ODwilly » 2017-11-09 @ 03:44

Jade Falcon wrote:I work for goodwill. We donot scrap computers. Dell does it for us (in most regions). And we only give them junk. The good stuff we keep/use or sell when possible. Look up the Seattle goodwill, they sell top end stuff alot online.
And no we hardly ever have older stuff or at cases. Mostly just straight up crap trashed printers, lcds and cables make up the bulk of it. Every now and then we get in a laptop. the last old system (pre 2000) we gotten in my region was a crap Etower.


Edit: also you should pick you words alot better.
Saying f*** those b**** when voiceing your opinion of goodwill is like saying f those disabled/under privileged folks given our mission.

The one near gets alot of old stuff, heck the only place iv ever found good 486 parts is the Seattle goodwill since you mention them. My mom worked there for awhile growing up and got some great training from them that helped her get a good job at our local power company.
Main pc: fx-8350, 2x4gb ddr3 1600, Asrock990fx extreme4, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo, WD Black 250gb, RX480 8gb
User avatar
ODwilly
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: 2013-6-18 @ 02:07
Location: Wa. U.S

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby lazibayer » 2017-11-09 @ 04:06

Install win7 on a P5A-B platform -> move hard drive to a SiS530 platform -> success
Install the same win 7 on the SiS530 platform -> move hard drive to the P5A-B platform -> infinite reboot

I have tried installing standard IDE driver but didn't work.
User avatar
lazibayer
Oldbie
 
Posts: 891
Joined: 2014-10-21 @ 21:16

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby TheAbandonwareGuy » 2017-11-09 @ 07:40

Jade Falcon wrote:I work for goodwill. We donot scrap computers. Dell does it for us (in most regions). And we only give them junk. The good stuff we keep/use or sell when possible. Look up the Seattle goodwill, they sell top end stuff alot online.
And no we hardly ever have older stuff or at cases. Mostly just straight up crap trashed printers, lcds and cables make up the bulk of it. Every now and then we get in a laptop. the last old system (pre 2000) we gotten in my region was a crap Etower.


Edit: also you should pick you words alot better.
Saying f*** those b**** when voiceing your opinion of goodwill is like saying f those disabled/under privileged folks given our mission.


Even the cheapest eTower should be preserved. I don't want a future where I can't experience what the low end was like 20 years ago.

And yeah. Sorry. My choice of words was ill thought out. For the record I think what good will tries to do is great but sometimes it gets crazy like all the major city goodwill tend to ask insane amounts for stuff. Like 20 dollars for a VCR. LGR actually caught an item priced at 81 and he eBay searched it. The very first listing matched there price to the cent. It didn't even work and was some real to real audio player. The ones in my area have all moved to new buildings and jacked up there media prices now. Like even CD based games (example: PS1) are 4 dollars instead of a dollar or two like they used to be. You can't really help the poor and suck there blood out at the same time. The two local thrift stores I know of are great and one even haggles with me and the other gives me lower prices when I buy in bulk. Onems profits go to and is ran by a battered women's shelter, and the other is ran by a no kill animal shelter. Kind of hard to say goodwill is doing a good job compared to them. There's a reason I buy a lot of stuff I don't need at the two local ones and I almost never even stop at good will. One deserves my money and is reasonable about it, the other doesn't and tries to overprice everything. I used to hold goodwill very highly up until a couple of years ago when all this stuff I mentioned really became common place.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6Z ... 2tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF256 SDR 32MB|CT4620
User avatar
TheAbandonwareGuy
Oldbie
 
Posts: 966
Joined: 2016-3-01 @ 02:09
Location: Southern Illinois, United States of America

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Cyrix200+ » 2017-11-09 @ 08:49

lazibayer wrote:Install win7 on a P5A-B platform -> move hard drive to a SiS530 platform -> success
Install the same win 7 on the SiS530 platform -> move hard drive to the P5A-B platform -> infinite reboot

I have tried installing standard IDE driver but didn't work.


Windows 7 on P5A-B? Why? Is that useable?
Chaintech 6ITM | Pentium Pro 200MHz | Matrox G200 | SCSI | Windows NT4
AOpen AX59Pro | AMD K6-3+ 450MHz | Windows 98SE
Tyan Tiger 230T | 2x Pentium III-S 1.4GHz | ATi Radeon 9100 | Aureal Vortex 2 | Windows 2000
-
Image gallery | Inventory
User avatar
Cyrix200+
Oldbie
 
Posts: 531
Joined: 2015-5-11 @ 15:52
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby andrewreader » 2017-11-09 @ 08:50

We all have to do our bit! :happy:

Here in the UK, the charity shops near me don't tend to do Computers. And a lot of the good looking stuff ends up on ebay on their e-shop sites.

But there is a 'Scrapstore' in Swindon, Wiltshire, UK that deals in selling low cost computers (I am not affiliated with this):
http://scrapstore.co.uk/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=45&Itemid=215

I might pop over on Saturday to have a look.

As for my retro activities this week, I'm pleased to say my 486 DX2 has been working very well. I thought there was still a battery issue, but having replaced the coin battery, it now seems to remember its settings.

The 430 MB HDD is almost full. There's Windows 3.11, DOS 6.22, Paint Shop Pro, and various Games.

Thanks to this forum, the drivers for Windows at the S3 VLB card works well. Windows runs in 800 x 600 on the 1MB card.

The Soundblaster 16 Value has been given a workout. I was tempted trying to get a card for General Midi, but I shall leave it as it is.

And I'm negotiating an AT case for part of my 'final' build. Which is the WinChip machine. I think I have most bits apart from a case to get it off the ground.
andrewreader
Newbie
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 2017-2-13 @ 10:52

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby badmojo » 2017-11-09 @ 08:52

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote: One deserves my money and is reasonable about it, the other doesn't and tries to overprice everything.


Sheesh this again? No-one cares where you spend your money, or what you think you deserve for your money, or how you think the owner of hardware item X should be conducting themselves. There is zero point to whining about prices, and you must spend a lot of your time confused and angry if you think that there is.
Life? Don't talk to me about life.
User avatar
badmojo
l33t
 
Posts: 2515
Joined: 2011-10-11 @ 04:14
Location: Australia

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby appiah4 » 2017-11-09 @ 09:12

I'm pretty spiffed at the current fad in retro hardware pricing but even to me this behaviour of devolving every thread into a rant about other people and what they ask for their hardware is getting tiresome.
1993:PCI597-1|P133|32MB|Trio64V2/DX|ES1868
1995:P5I430VX|P233MMX|Virge/DX|CT4520
1997:S1573S|K6-2/400|64MB|M220|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
1999:BE6-II|P3-700E|256MB|V3-3000|MX300
GX110LP:36XMT|PIII1000|512MB|G450|CT4780|YMF-719
User avatar
appiah4
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1102
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby oerk » 2017-11-09 @ 09:21

OldCat wrote:Dismantled my Toshiba T3200sx in order to replace Conner drive with CF card. Turned out more challenging than I thought, so it is still in progress.

20171108_151025.jpg


The 5200 has a BIOS limitation where you can only put in a Conner drive of the same size than the one the computer originally came with. Doesn't the T3200 have that limitation too?

Had to use a XTIDE CF in mine - which can only do 8-bit transfers, but the non-existent seek time makes up for it.
oerk
Oldbie
 
Posts: 607
Joined: 2014-8-20 @ 09:59

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: debs3759, DerZocker, ElDavo, JidaiGeki, PTherapist, quicknick, ShenTao, Yahoo [Bot], Zup and 8 guests