VOGONS

Reply 800 of 27511, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I prefer Win7 over WinXP, as the operating system on a productivity computer.
Things like working with SQL and Visual studio is much less painfull.

For fun (or should I say retro computing), nothing past Win98SE makes sence.
MS-Dos-6.22 is nice too, not win311 though.

Today, I refurbished an old GF2-MX400, by cleaning off dust and mounted a new fan.
Had fun, figuring out other screws and such.... 😁 (yes, it was fun, not being sarcastic here)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 801 of 27511, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

It would be nice if MS allowed for installations of different Desktop environments like Linux does. But then again they would either have to allow for people to have access to their code OR spend a lot of dev time building all these other DEs.

Nothing keeps developers from making alternate shells... It is just that it is hard to compete with Explorer.exe and it becomes a very niche product, since most people looking for alternate desktop environments probably play arround with Linux. Back in the 9x era there were stuff like Litestep and Talisman that completly replaced Explorer.exe as a shell, but most (if not all of them) died out a slow and silent death.

Reply 802 of 27511, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ten years later;

PHTO00069.jpg
Filename
PHTO00069.jpg
File size
61.21 KiB
Views
File comment
Zenith SlimsPORT 286 - 16 running Cascada's Vectordemo on Medium.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
PHTO00071.jpg
Filename
PHTO00071.jpg
File size
89.2 KiB
Views
File comment
Zenith SlimsPORT 286 - 16 boots Windows 2.11 for the first time in a decade.
File license
PHTO00072.jpg
Filename
PHTO00072.jpg
File size
80.39 KiB
Views
File comment
Zenith SlimsPORT 286 - 16 proceeds to display the Clock, which is wrong as the CMOS battery is flat.
File license

I have finally fixed the hard drive... I have installed a 4GB CF Card, interestingly, it is possible to see all 4GB but this is unreliable so I limited it to 500MB, it was the only card I had.

It's not entirely reliable still, I think the card is a bit knackered to be honest. It's great to have this thing back, I used to lump it into work all the time to configure switches and routers (Via serial) because their Sempron/P4 TravelMate's and ThinkPad's were bullshit. I was very sad when it stopped working.

I ran it for a solid 45 minutes on battery today before the alarm went off! I also backed up the BIOS in case I ever need it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 803 of 27511, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few weeks ago, I found one of these just sitting on a shelf at a Goodwill store in Omaha:

IMG_20150124_172935626.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150124_172935626.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license

An Amstrad PPC640 portable computer. It's in rough physical condition, but it works!

Today, just for the heck of it, I tried to see if my parallel port Zip drive would work on it, and indeed it did! Not only did it work, but I noticed that it would mount as drive C:. This got the gears turning.

First, I created a special boot floppy whose sole purpose in life is to mount the Zip drive, then pass control of DOS over to it.

B-l2ogUUsAM6FrU.jpg
Filename
B-l2ogUUsAM6FrU.jpg
File size
47.45 KiB
Views
File license

After I got this working, I went ahead and began using the Zip drive as a sort of fake hard drive. This was the end result:

B-l0ZYEUYAElN7i.jpg
Filename
B-l0ZYEUYAElN7i.jpg
File size
36.92 KiB
Views
File license
B-l0Z7eVEAA0Gkk.jpg
Filename
B-l0Z7eVEAA0Gkk.jpg
File size
22.17 KiB
Views
File license

Yes, that's Windows 3.0 running on an Amstrad PPC640 computer from a parallel port Iomega Zip drive. It's slower than a constipated sloth swimming in molasses, but it works!

Reply 804 of 27511, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice... and very cool.

I wonder if you could get one of those old parallel port NIC's like an old Xircom to work on it. Or since you use a Zip on the parallel port, get the expansion port to work for a real NIC:

Wikipedia wrote:

All the signals used by the 8-bit ISA bus were also available through an expansion connector.

Reply 805 of 27511, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
torindkflt wrote:

Yes, that's Windows 3.0 running on an Amstrad PPC640 computer from a parallel port Iomega Zip drive. It's slower than a constipated sloth swimming in molasses, but it works!

Oh my god...

Your Blue Screen Of Death can come with a Click Of Death! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 806 of 27511, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
QBiN wrote:

I wonder if you could get one of those old parallel port NIC's like an old Xircom to work on it.]

Curious to know if one of those would work with the Zip drive's passthrough port. Maybe something to investigate in the future, if I ever do manage to acquire a Xircom adapter.

Reply 807 of 27511, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is this? A competition to see who can run the puniest portable?

Nah, just kidding. That's pretty awesome, if you ever do experiment with an Ethernet adapter keep us posted. Maybe you could test a printer now and find out if it has a negative effect on the Zip drive? If it doesn't, chase after one of those Ethernet Adapters.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 808 of 27511, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Used to have one of those portable amstrads - god the screen is horrible! - think original gameboy. Funny knowing how many batteries it would eat if you actually wanted to use it "on the road".

One curiosity about it is that it was used in Red Dwarf as a prop.

Reply 809 of 27511, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tested my newly aquired Sound Blaster AWE64 Value Edition in my P133 rig.
Came to this conclusion...

Originally the P133 had a SB16 + GUS-ACE installed, and I am using this machine for MS-Dos-6.22 only.
With the AWE64, I tested a couple of games out, and I must say that I am not really happy 100%

Old games are prone to use Adlib, wich of course the AWE64 does not have.
The Wavetable sounds much alike the one that are found on my AWE32 CT3900.
And the GUS-ACE does a terrible job at emulating Adlib. Just as bad as the AWE64 in my ears.
Not happy at all with Adlib emulaton. The real deal is still the best.

My personal preferrance for an sound system for pre-95 Dos games are AWE32 and a GUS-ACE.
Dos-games from 95 to 99, both the AWE32 and the AWE64 wins equally.
Still fun to test the AWE64 Value out. Clearly great for Blood, Doom2 and Duke3D.
The AWE64 just plain sucks for games like Dynablaster.... Almost made my ears bleed. 😁
(and yeah.... The P133 is back running SB16 and GUS-ACE. Ahhhh.... Much better)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 810 of 27511, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
torindkflt wrote:
QBiN wrote:

I wonder if you could get one of those old parallel port NIC's like an old Xircom to work on it.]

Curious to know if one of those would work with the Zip drive's passthrough port. Maybe something to investigate in the future, if I ever do manage to acquire a Xircom adapter.

Yes it will work http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … 60-via-Ethernet

If it has the facilty to fit a nic -ie horizontal ISA slots that would be a better option though.

Nice find. I hope you have fun with it.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 811 of 27511, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
IMAG0176.JPG
Filename
IMAG0176.JPG
File size
61.75 KiB
Views
File license

CDs turned up today to add to my OS collection. The half hidden CD is Internet Exploder 5.0.
Came with some old MSCE exam prep books which will go out for recycling.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 812 of 27511, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I gave my P166 machine (Pentium 166MMX tower of power) a little upgrade recently (or side-grade, or down-grade, depending how you look at it). It recieved a nice new AT PSU - and not just new old stock, I'm under the impression that these StarTechs are still being made.

And I tossed the SB16 + XR385 + SCC1 sound setup and replaced it with a humble AWE64 Value + Simmcon + 32MB RAM. I've never really bonded with the SCC1, I think it knows that it's too good for me. The AWE64 Value however is like an old pair of tracksuit pants - comfortable, easy to use, and gets the job done. I haven't explored the wonderful world of sound fonts much yet, but even the Creative supplied 4MB font (I used the AWE64 Gold installation package) sounds very freaking good, I think.

DSCN0755_zpsd9b6ed6e.jpg

DSCN1492_zps1ba2oh6c.jpg

DSCN1496_zpsslpsc6ua.jpg

DSCN1498_zpsetytb8ym.jpg

DSCN1504_zpsyxzap3mz.jpg

DSCN1509_zpsondhbzrz.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 813 of 27511, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I gave my P166 machine (Pentium 166MMX tower of power) a little upgrade recently (or side-grade, or down-grade, depending how you look at it). It recieved a nice new AT PSU - and not just new old stock, I'm under the impression that these StarTechs are still being made.

And I tossed the SB16 + XR385 + SCC1 sound setup and replaced it with a humble AWE64 Value + Simmcon + 32MB RAM. I've never really bonded with the SCC1, I think it knows that it's too good for me. The AWE64 Value however is like an old pair of tracksuit pants - comfortable, easy to use, and gets the job done. I haven't explored the wonderful world of sound fonts much yet, but even the Creative supplied 4MB font (I used the AWE64 Gold installation package) sounds very freaking good, I think.

Looks wicked!

You changed your monitor, why did you change your monitor? 😲

P.S. I've been casually playing GTAIII for a long period now, 1-2 hours a day when I can and for the first time I'm close to completing it. 96% now and slowly moving towards 100% 😀 I only use wa;kthroughs to know how many packages/rampages/jumps there are on each island, so no cheating there 😀
gta.PNG

Reply 814 of 27511, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually found 99 packages on GTAIII legitimately by just playing and without walkthrough or such.. I never did find that 100th one.. 😒

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 815 of 27511, by Kaasschaaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to figure out why Intels chipset drivers, after installation, decide to not play nice (or at all) with every flash drive I throw at it...

On an unrelated note, anyone here know a non-USB method to get files to a Northwood box?

Main rig: i5-3450, ASRock P67 Pro3 SE, AMD HD7850, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1
Northwood rig: Northwood 2.8GHz, Intel D865PERL, GF4 MX480, 2GB RAM, Windows XP SP1/Windows 98SE

Reply 816 of 27511, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to like using flash drives on my Win98 box... until I configured my network correctly. Now I do all my file-moving through my network. It is even easier on my A64 XP box.

Reply 817 of 27511, by Kaasschaaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

I used to like using flash drives on my Win98 box... until I configured my network correctly. Now I do all my file-moving through my network. It is even easier on my A64 XP box.

Network drivers? Oh, you mean those things I wanted to install after Intel's chipset drivers using my.. oh wait.

Please just let there be a way to fix this without having to reinstall XP yet again.

Main rig: i5-3450, ASRock P67 Pro3 SE, AMD HD7850, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1
Northwood rig: Northwood 2.8GHz, Intel D865PERL, GF4 MX480, 2GB RAM, Windows XP SP1/Windows 98SE