VOGONS

First post, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My building is having their annual electronics toss out this weekend, and so I've been dropping down to see what's being tossed out. I found a black ATX case and wanted the video card, but when I opened it up there was a 486 DX/33 in there on a Dell motherboard, I assume socket 3..?? It has all ISA slots, and some ISA/VLB? I didn't take the system because I wasn't sure if it'd be worth messing around with, because the motherboard is a Dell. Interestingly it has 2 PS2 ports and onboard IDE controller. Think there's a possibility I could drop a 586/133 in there? If so maybe I'll take the system. The board is one of those full length AT boards, and the video card is a Cirrus Logic ISA.

Reply 2 of 19, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

If it's free I'd say take it and worry about tossing it out later if you don't like it.

+1 ISA CL video card are pretty good performer for 386 and a socket 3 motherboard with vlb is always good to have at hand (if there is some voltage regulator around the cpu socket it is definitely worth it).

Edit :
if it really has some onboard IDE controller like you said, it may be one of the last revision for 486 with late 94 or early 95 bios so definitly keep it (a good range of cpu support)... The worst thing could be fake cache on the board.

Reply 3 of 19, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darksheer wrote:

Edit :
if it really has some onboard IDE controller like you said, it may be one of the last revision for 486 with late 94 or early 95 bios so definitly keep it (a good range of cpu support)... The worst thing could be fake cache on the board.

Eh?
Many many 486 boards have onboard IDE. My 486/33 with a 1992 BIOS date has onboard IDE

But take it! Its free and if anything the CPU/cooler/ISA cards are worth it

Reply 4 of 19, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I grabbed the system from the electronics dump, with only a few people giving me very weird looks.... 😐 I'll post some pictures tonight and disect the system, family life has kept me from cracking it open but I'll play around with it this evening and let you know what's all in it.

Off memory I don't recall seeing a sound card, it had 4 edo slots with only 1 occupied, it had the 16bit ISA Cirus Logic card, (could it be SVGA?), and the CPU was definately an Intel 486DX/33. Onboard IDE and 2xPS2 ports as well.

Reply 5 of 19, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Video card is a Cirus Logic CL-GD542X 1MB... is this VGA or SVGA capable? The PC boots up just fines... so far, no harddrive but I have a 430mb seagate I can use. There was only a single 4mb edo installed, no sound card.

kf18v7.jpg

2coim8g.jpg

Reply 8 of 19, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 2 daughter boards on the bottom are from Condoplex and looking them up seem's like they are for condo security units. So, I'm going to assume it was my condo that through this system out.

Reply 9 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The motherboard looks pretty solid. It probably won't have much in the way of adjustable BIOS settings, but the build quality and stability should be quite good. Looks like it's 3.3V ready too.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 19, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dave343 wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

I just noticed it doesn't appear to have any L2 cache installed. That will degrade performance markedly

How much so..?

Quite a bit. Depending on the nature of the program it will probably slow the system down to 15-80% normal speed
Lack of cache makes the speed less consistent and makes memory heavy programs run up to several times slower

Reply 13 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

I just noticed it doesn't appear to have any L2 cache installed. That will degrade performance markedly

Egads. Just took a better look and yeah - I'd install cache forthwith. 🤣

Reply 15 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dave343 wrote:

I'm assuming I can pick up some cache on ebay, but what kind am I looking for? and how much? 128, 256? thx.

You're looking for SRAM DIPs to populate those open sockets above the CPU. 256k would be a good place to be. You'd need to know a little bit about the motherboard to know how much it can support and what configuration settings need to be adjusted. Here is an example from Statson.org (this is NOT your motherboard): http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/AT … 6-33-CACHE.html

Reply 17 of 19, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CL5429 ISA graphics card... in a slot with that VLB just waiting to be filled... My first PC had a CL5428 VLB - and in the era before 3D accelerators, it wasn't bad (looking from a windows angle, it had hardware cursor and hardware blitter).

If you have a stable full of systems, maybe line up a VLB card and put the ISA CL5429 to one side for an ISA only system - it's probably the highest Cirrus Logic chip that is on ISA.

Reply 18 of 19, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NEVER leave any 486 system in the trash, its all worth it to grab it along.
Even early pentiums.
Keep looking for other 486's that are tossed out, and p1's for the vga and ram or the complete system. 😉
some early p1 systems also have async sram dip style installed.

Reply 19 of 19, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matth79 wrote:

CL5429 ISA graphics card... in a slot with that VLB just waiting to be filled... My first PC had a CL5428 VLB - and in the era before 3D accelerators, it wasn't bad (looking from a windows angle, it had hardware cursor and hardware blitter).

If you have a stable full of systems, maybe line up a VLB card and put the ISA CL5429 to one side for an ISA only system - it's probably the highest Cirrus Logic chip that is on ISA.

Got a 5434 on a diamond speedstar ISA 2mb 😀

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16