VOGONS

First post, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like the title says - which manufacturer and which chip first implemented adaptive clocks? The oldest/earliest I've yet to observe is the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra; it runs at 300/600 in its "2D" mode, and can switch between 400/800 and 500/1000 in its "3D" mode (best I've been able to tell it's in response to load complexity, not thermals).

Is there an older or earlier card that implements something like that? Perhaps even more sophisticated? (like modern Kepler or GCN which have much more granular adjustments)

Reply 1 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mobility Radeon 7000 or 7500 are the first I remember. ATI calls it Powerplay. Power management like this didn't come to desktop until graphics power consumption became more noticeable there.

Reply 2 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the desktop I also think the FX was the first.

AMD had something similar but for dynamic overclocking.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Mobility Radeon 7000 or 7500 are the first I remember. ATI calls it Powerplay. Power management like this didn't come to desktop until graphics power consumption became more noticeable there.

Agreed. Powerplay is awesome when served as a game-too-fast speed limiter 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 8, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Interesting. Didn't think about mobile hardware - guess it makes sense that it showed up there first. 😊

Reply 5 of 8, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't the Geforce 7 series the first gpu's to run at different clockrates on the different parts of the gpu itself?
I remember magazines going all over something like that.

Reply 6 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:

Isn't the Geforce 7 series the first gpu's to run at different clockrates on the different parts of the gpu itself?

Yeah they have something called a geometric delta. Some parts of the chip ran slightly faster than the rest.

Reply 7 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaWing wrote:

No that was the Geforce 8 series with the G80 then later the G84 on up which ended with the G200 once it was replaced with Fermi.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
AlphaWing wrote:

No that was the Geforce 8 series with the G80 then later the G84 on up which ended with the G200 once it was replaced with Fermi.

See my post above. Though yes G8x definitely took it to the next level.