Reply 40 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok i just attached the saem cdrom to the io controller in my 386
and when i boot now i get 3 beeps followed by 9 beeps
and it just doesnt want to boot frm the floppy
so i guess i can take this as a confirmation that my io controller in this machine does not work with ATAPI Devices at all

ok i spoke too soon!
i reseated the io controller and the beeps are gone!!!
it was giving me a keyboard error too.. i guess that was caused by the io controller not being seated properly in its slot?
(from re attachign the ide controller cable i guess)

anyway its working on the 386 now aswell!! as MASTER
ill see if i can change to SLAVE but something tells me this cheap io controller only does a single IDE master device! but i could be wrong! i hope im wrong!

ive got everything working now! the C: drive SD CARD is working simultaneously with the CDROM set as slave
its a mitsumi cd driver that works..
anyway im just glad to have a working cd on my 386!!!!
i thought this io controller couldnt support it! but i guess i was wrong..
now all i need is another ATAPI compatible IDE port for my ZIP100 drive and im set

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 41 of 44, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:
no matter what i do i cant get any cdrom to be seen on the port on the SB32PNP maybe its just defective or maybe it only works w […]
Show full quote

no matter what i do i cant get any cdrom to be seen on the port on the SB32PNP
maybe its just defective
or maybe it only works with cdroms that are 4x and below
wish i had a 2x or 4x to try it with

I've not used the SB32 much, so maybe it's just finicky or perhaps that particular one has a problem. You could always try different ISA slots in case it's a power issue.

yes it says /L:R on the autoexec.bat you are correct 😉

I use "R:" for a CD/DVD-ROM and "W:" for a CDR/RW/DVDRW (Read vs. Write) in Windows.

the driver that worked was called cd2.sys on my boot disk.. again i cant remember how i got this boot disk or wherre it came from

If it's the CD2.SYS I'm thinking of, that's Mitsumi's IDE driver, just renamed. Usually I see that with a copyright date of maybe '96 at the latest. Often, those "boot disks" you can get from the Internet have various drivers to try since sometimes IDE drivers from different vendors may have different supported drives. SBIDE.SYS usually had a high detection rate for me across various brands and speeds of drives.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 42 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i also solved a huge problem with my UN1082 VL i/o controller on my VL/I486SVG2X4

i had previously configured jumpers according to the STASON.ORG document posted online
and these settings were very much incorrect for my card so there must be many diff versions of
the un1082 (or at least a couple)

my IDE channels were configured to operate at 240ns speed, i switched the jumpers to 600ns and
the system is flying now! alot faster bootup times..

also i forced my dx2 80mhz cpu to operate at 66mhz
and also changed jumpers on the 1082VL to force the i/o controller to operate at 33mhz
(it was previously set to operate at 50mhz)

im hoping that the instability + wierdness i was experiencing with this system are going to be long gone now.. now that the FSB is not oc'd ?? is that the correct terminology?
i read that VLB systems usually had stability issues if pushed past 33mhz/66mhz 1x/2x clock
(to 99mhz?/50mhz?) i dont know if maybe thats the reason why? because this has a 80mhz cpu and it causes a timing mismatch between the i/o? and the cpu? am i right with that thinking?

myabe if i had a 100mhz DX4 cpu the math would work out better
ie 100mhz cpu + 50mhz i/o speed would match == 3x clock speed
(and my controller has a 50mhz mode)

but i suspected that having 80mhz + 50mhz i/o speed is inconsistant timing wise because the math doesnt work out ! = crashes

anyway
hopefully this is going to make my 486 alot more stable + fast
being that it is a VLB board with both graphics + i/o operating on VLB

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 43 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for the record i never got this working when connected to the SB32PNP
the reason i was even trying to do this was to add a CDROM to my 386dx40
which only has one IDE PORT and it doesnt seem to support ATAPI devices or something

has anyone ever gotten this to work? ie a cdrom working off the Sound Blaster 32 PNP card? (CT3600)
ive never been able to get it to work;
sad isnt it ? 🤣

between getting the drievr install right
+ compatible hardware connected properly
i guess i just never got the right combination

anyone have any success story to share?

i thought maybe i might have some luck after finding this original cd installer this morning:
Re: SB32 PNP original install media (cd or floppies?)

Reply 44 of 44, by HaveGoals

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlaricD wrote on 2018-02-27, 17:53:
still haven't told us what your SBIDE.SYS line in your CONFIG.SYS looks like tho […]
Show full quote
chrisNova777 wrote:

still no luck with the cdrom attached to the sb32pnp tho

still haven't told us what your SBIDE.SYS line in your CONFIG.SYS looks like tho

You could try adding multiple SBIDE.SYS lines to your CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD001 /P:170,15,3f6
DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD002 /P:1E8,11,3EE
DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD003 /P:1E8,12,3EE
DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD004 /P:168,10,36E
DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD005 /P:168,11,36E

and seeing which one 'hits', but still-- that's a PnP card and may need to be configured with CTCM. In AUTOEXEC.BAT have the MSCDEX line look like this:

C:\path\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001 /D:MSCD002 /D:MSCD003 /D:MSCD004 /D:MSCD005

Once you determine which SBIDE.SYS line is reliably hitting (the i/o port and IRQ of that interface *might* change at random) then you can REM the non-hitters out and pare down the MSCDEX.EXE line.

This was a brilliant post that solved it for me. Thank you.