Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
AlphaWing wrote:
leileilol wrote:

When Windows 2000 came out I stayed away from it because it did have problems with Voodoo drivers at the time and made the upgrade for the Voodoo box to be Windows ME instead. 🤣 😀 😐 😒

ME is good I don't understand why people hate it so much too.

Because you can get all the best features of ME using 98SE2ME without breaking DOS compatibility like ME does. Microsoft deactivated DOS real mode to get faster boot time so a lot of programs that need it on boot won't run. It also makes switching on the fly between Windows and DOS a pain with ME.

The biggest issue I saw pop up with ME was when I'd have clients try to use an early 802.11b adapter/PCMCIA card. Nothing but headaches. Several customers ended up upgrading to XP (no hardwaree changes at all), and the issues disappeared.

I don't recall if it was being caused by drivers, or ME's network support.

Reply 21 of 23, by Neoistheone2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't even consider ME an OS at this point, I just installed the unofficial service pack for 98SE and it adds all the stuff that ME has plus I can reboot the PC in DOS if I need it.
For USB flash drives I just installed a driver package that adds support for all USB Mass Storage devices and now all my USB Flash drives works in 98SE.
I think the reason I wanted 2000 was for better stability. This machine is for use with games that are going to benefit from the VooDoo 2's in SLI. I was gonna get a Gateway 2000 486 for DOS games.

Reply 22 of 23, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noone seemed to understand my gist at all... I just saying they are there to be used its fun to use them etc.
There is no perfect version of Windows, its Windows....

About Neoistheone2000 V2's
I actually agree win98 for gaming is the jack of all trades stick with it, but you can always multiboot.
I always try to stick something I can reliably get on the net with on a machine. Be it NTxx or Puppy Linux.

Reply 23 of 23, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I decided to use Windows Me in my 99/00 build. People seems to hate it, so I felt like I had to try it out to see if it really was that bad. So far I like it. It performs as well as any 9x-era Windows in my experience. I haven't had any crashes either. MSDOS support isn't as good, but I don't intend to run that many MSDOS games on this computer anyways. It is only for windows titles.

If I was using my PII 350, I think I would've chosen Win98. It feels appropriate to use an OS from the same year.