VOGONS

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Back in the early 90s I got what I thiiink was a Thrustmaster ISA card to give my 386 pc dual gameports. I'm fairly certain it was that due to the little connector on the backplate for the speed control.. DSC01217.JPG

Anyway, besides the point! This was before I knew about the insides of pcs and the card was bought by my dad through his workplace and installed by the IT department there. I then later asked them to install a SB16 soundcard and was disappointed to find out that the Thrustmaster had been removed and I never saw it again.

I still have the PC, with the SB16 and I want to pick up a Thrustmaster card again, partly for nostalgia purposes and maybe to try play a few 2 player games with my nephews.

Anyway, long story short - can I use a SB16 AND a dual gameport adapter and make use of both gameports and use the SB16's gameport to send midi data to a Roland MT-32 without any kind of conflicts? I always assumed they'd interfere with each other due to the IT deparment having removed the gameport card to install the SB16...

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you need to disable joystick functionality on the SB16, but I don't remember which jumper. You can still use its MIDI functionality IIRC, and use joystick/MIDI split cable.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 3, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's the Thrustmaster ACM Gamecard you're looking at. As you noted, a speed adjuster plugs into the socket and it's used to dial-in the joystick [polling?] speed using their TMScope utility. Works very nicely for controller based games of the 486 to early Pentium era where the range of speeds falls within the range of the calibrator. The manual explains clearly how to install the card and set it up in Windows too - Device Manager and hand edit a few entries.

I use the original one I bought in the 90's on one retro rig, and picked up another boxed one for ten bucks or so on eBay for another rig.