VOGONS

First post, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just purchased this card as part of a big lot of older video cards. It is the first Tseng ET4000/W32P chipset video card I have ever owned.

20140728_173953.jpg
Filename
20140728_173953.jpg
File size
293.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Is this a good card for windows 3.1, 95 and/or DOS?...even without the integrated RAMDAC?

I see that this exact model is included in the Wikipedia description for the Tseng ET4000...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tseng_Labs_ET4000

Has anyone used this card in particular or one like it? I am curious to hear any opinions and experience regarding this card or one like it with win3.1, win95 and DOS.

The inclusion of an S-Video jack, and what appears to be some sort of 1/8" audio jack and single BNC connector (I am guessing this works to provide regular composite output) makes this an interesting card to me...Will I need the specific drivers for this card to make all those jacks useable?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light on this video card for me.

Reply 1 of 6, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't know anything about that card specifically, but it certainly does look very interesting! Some guesses/thoughts:

- External RAMDAC feature doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing - I have an old 3DLabs card that has an external IBM DAC and the output looks fine for GUI in Windows 95 or Puppy Linux. So at least in theory it *can* work well, but I don't know if it's an "always" thing or if there are stand-alone DACs that produce horrible quality.

- I'm thinking that BNC connector may be some sort of house sync connector instead of CVBS. This is just a wild guess though.

Little bit of web searching about the card and I found this huge PDF about it, not sure how useful it may be though:
http://pdf.datasheetarchive.com/indexerfiles/ … ns-00116244.pdf

Reply 3 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this card have two sections. Because its called ET4000 / w32P Its actually a windows GUI accelerator.. The et4000 part is good for dos uses, the w32P is as acellerator for windows gui.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 6, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robin4 wrote:

I think this card have two sections. Because its called ET4000 / w32P Its actually a windows GUI accelerator.. The et4000 part is good for dos uses, the w32P is as acellerator for windows gui.

So would that make it potentially better for a Win95/DOS hybrid? (I'm thinking paired up with a Voodoo 1 for good measure)

Reply 5 of 6, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ obobskivich - A lot of information in that PDF manual...thank you!

It mentions something interesting in the introduction section - "Secondary CRT controller can be used to display picture-in-picture graphics or even full motion video..."...very cool...I love the Pic-in-Pic feature on my old Sony CRT TV's (something I wish most modern TV's still had). The rest of the standard features sound pretty good to me, but I guess I won't know until I actually try it out. Time for retrocomputing has been of the essence for me lately, but I hope to get to trying it out soon.

smeezekitty wrote:

ET4000 excel in ISA and sort of VLB
But for PCI systems there are far better cards
Unique? yes. Useful? not so much

That's what I was afraid of...I think it may be a good card for my dedicated Win3.11 build that I am planning though (socket 7)...only if Win3.1 drivers exist for this thing.

Robin4 wrote:

Yes this is kind of true but of course, this version is "limited" in DOS due to the PCI interface. As Wikipedia mentions, "W32p offered solid Windows GUI acceleration at a reasonable price, along with considerably competent DOS VGA performance. Tseng carried this DOS performance along with them with their later ET6000 accelerator."...and earlier for the ISA version it confirms that "the original ET4000 was notable for its outstanding host-interface (ISA) throughput." as many of us know.

obobskivich wrote:
Robin4 wrote:

So would that make it potentially better for a Win95/DOS hybrid? (I'm thinking paired up with a Voodoo 1 for good measure)

Yes, that might be a good option for me...but since there are probably better options for Win95, I was maybe hoping for a Win3.11/DOS combo system instead? But again, I am not sure.

Reply 6 of 6, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

@ obobskivich - A lot of information in that PDF manual...thank you!

It mentions something interesting in the introduction section - "Secondary CRT controller can be used to display picture-in-picture graphics or even full motion video..."...very cool...I love the Pic-in-Pic feature on my old Sony CRT TV's (something I wish most modern TV's still had). .

PiP - I miss those days. And remember those Sonys with multiple tuners that could do that 4 or 6-up channel surf mode? 😊

retrofanatic wrote:

Yes, that might be a good option for me...but since there are probably better options for Win95, I was maybe hoping for a Win3.11/DOS combo system instead? But again, I am not sure.

Honestly I'd say do whatever makes sense for what you want - I've used Win95 on 1-2MB Cirrus and Trident cards before, and it is functional, but it isn't "top of the mark" for 95 by any means. But if that's all your application load needs, it can work. If 3.11 is better for supporting what you need, then go with 3.11. 😀