VOGONS

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm building a Windows 98 build, gateway case, sb16 pnp, Ati Rage Pro 128 12mb card, 40gb Maxtor hard drive, 8x Panasonic CD drive. It has a pIII 450mhz but under BIOS it shows up as a pII 450mhz processor. Suggestions? Idk what it shows up as in Windows 98 as I have yet to install the OS.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 1 of 3, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dosquest wrote:

I'm building a Windows 98 build, gateway case, sb16 pnp, Ati Rage Pro 128 12mb card, 40gb Maxtor hard drive, 8x Panasonic CD drive. It has a pIII 450mhz but under BIOS it shows up as a pII 450mhz processor. Suggestions? Idk what it shows up as in Windows 98 as I have yet to install the OS.

What BIOS is it (AMI/Phoenix/etc), and what's the mobo model? Maybe the bios needs to be reflashed?

Reply 2 of 3, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The bios, as I suspected and soon learned upon researching this problem, is the only part of the pc that is reporting the CPU improperly.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 3 of 3, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some oem boards will never call the PIII a PIII.
I have one from an HP that always identifies it as a generic Pentium Pro.
That is with its last bios, its a Asus BX board rebrand that HP liked to use back then.
Its still recognized by most programs as a PIII tho despite what the bios reports it as, and SSE is used accordingly.