K6-III Win98 Question.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:
I'd grab those V1's at those prices. PCI-Geforce FX 5500\5200 is about equal in performance to a Geforce 2 gts\ Geforce 256 DDR. […]
Show full quote

I'd grab those V1's at those prices.
PCI-Geforce FX 5500\5200 is about equal in performance to a Geforce 2 gts\ Geforce 256 DDR.
More power then the K6 can use fully really.

As for my Fic board, I'm guessing its some sort of design defect with the board.
V3 drawing to much blew a pin sized hole in one of the IC chips behind the AGP slot.
Board refuses to turn back on. Its in storage now, I had 2 so its no biggy and was still able to assemble that system. Did over pay for them tho 🙁 .

GF-4 it is then..... Have to find someone that would like to swap some hardware.
And that can be a real problem here in Denmark, as virtually no one is into retro hardware.
All want iPad's and Playstation 4's. Sad but true.... 😢

Edit:
For the V1's that are for sale, I just wanted to let people know, as prices are way high on Ebay.
And for the iPad part. That might explain the really low price on those V1's
People are throwing stuff away, never ever realising what it is worth online.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21 of 61, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep with normal people tossing stuff,
I get so many odd looks going to garage\estate sales, when I ask if they have an old computer that runs 3.1\95\98.
Best way to see if a normal person has an old machine, as they don't exactly remember model names 🤣 .

I've been to 40+ home ones, and several church ones this summer and the only thing I have found have been P4's, a couple amd XP machines thats it.
EVERYTHING from before the millennia has been Recycled in my local area it seems 🙁
Oh I did find a Tualatin supporting mobo board at one flea market that actually worked. Only bright spot this summer.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-08-16, 23:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 61, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. happens all the time.

Hey Phil I got an old computer!

How old?

Really old, like ancient!

*takes a look*

Oh it's a Pentium III! Way to new 🤣 for me thank you!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 61, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep exactly.
I'll take any P3 I find with tho at a garage sale!
Just to open it and see if its got ISA slots 🤣 .
Then put it into storage.
They are vanishing at a fairly fast rate.

Reply 24 of 61, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Yet, the more I read, the more I realise that nVidia is a way better choice.

Woa, easy there 😀 Don't want to start a riot here 🤣

Yeah.... Looting and burning down the town hall.... 🤣
Just at the price-tag, nVidia gives more. When we are speaking of old GFX-Cards.

ultimately it comes down to how much do you want to run glide enabled games, if you do then obviously its only the Voodoos, if not, then there is nothing wrong with the Nvidia cards they are generally fast.

Reply 25 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RTCW is way too new IMO to really run on a setup like that enjoyably. A setup like that would be fine for playing early lithtech games (not maxed out on the settings though) and Quake 2 engine titles and lower.

UT99 runs OK on my P2 400 with a V5 5500, but it's not lightning fast. UT99 will be picky in general if you are trying to play online with large custom maps and lots of action happening on the screen at the same time.

Reply 26 of 61, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ofcourse Nvidia cards are a better choice, just not on a ss7 system imho....

In the days of the ss7 systems many games supported glide so that`s a bonus because it just looks much better than early directx.

In my k6-3+ system the v2 sli setup runs (old) games much smoother and score way higher in 3dmark99 than my Geforce 2 Ti!
Geforce cards simply need more horsepower from the cpu and the k6 can not provide that. Even v2 sli is bottlenecked but not as bad as Nvidia cards.

With a p3 system i still prefer voodoo3 but beyond 1ghz the geforce cards are certainly faster.

In my tualatin system i have the voodoo5 but it is no match for a Geforce2 in that system.

Never heard of a v3 damaging a ss7 board before, is that common on the fic boards? Or is it the via chipset?
Voodoo3 consumes about 10-15w and geforce1 about 18w and both cards work fine on most ss7 boards as far as i know.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 27 of 61, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Defect with this model apparently.
I had all sorts of cards in it before it blew, nothing was stable, the V3 was just the last, and apparently what tripped it.

The second board I tried a Geforce2 GTS shortly, but its was not stable, and I don't wanta risk AGP long term in it, after the first.
Which is why I got a FX5500 PCI for it.

Its an ATX model not the AT model that everyone discuss in awe\legend about the FIC boards.

Reply 28 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just had a blast fiddeling about with a computer with aprox the same spec's in terms of power.
It is a celeron 233 with 196 megabyte mem and matrox g400. (my hp).
And yes, V1 and UT99 is bad. Matrox G400 is way better.

I know that the K6-3 400 mhz is roughly the same as a P2 running at 250 to 300 mhz.
Anandtech still have the review of the K6-3 cpu up, and they deem it faster than the P2 at the
same clock cycle. Wich I doubt highly, and is why I say 250 to 300 mhz P2.

Anyway....
Still think it is the TNT2 card I have, that makes games run that bad (fra dropping and such).
Have to give it a shot again, using a Matrox card, before rushing out to buy a GF4 card.

With TNT2 the UT99 runs laggy like shit, with G400 it runs slow, yet without framedropping.
The small test was made running on Win95 though. Still....
Celeron 233 should be slower than K6-3-400, and the systems both have the same amount of ram.

Reply 30 of 61, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V1 would be totally overwhelmed with these games.

Is you TNT card a proper one or one of these M64?

My YouTube channel

Reply 31 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

V1 would be totally overwhelmed with these games.

Is you TNT card a proper one or one of these M64?

Ahhhh... Now I know wich one is the bad egg in the basket... TNT2 M64!!! (ups)
I have always thought of the issue as being Vanta related, or is M64 the same as Vanta?

(M64 runs great in DOS, by the way)

Reply 32 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:

No L2 cache on the celeron it should be slower then the K6-III by a large margin.

Yes. I know.... Or had a feeling that it would.
Just strange that the K6-3 (at the current hardware setup) is aprox' 2 times slower in UT99.
(not benchmarked just how I experience it)

Never ever again TNT2 for Windows setup's
The fault is on my shoulders, as I clearly have not learned this since 1998. 🤣

Reply 33 of 61, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea the TNT2 M64 is quite slow. Average at best. But don't worry because there are lots of cheap Nvidia cards that you can select. Don't rule out Quadro cards. They are kind of ignored *don't tell anyone*. Got a nice Quadro2 Pro which is the Quadro version of the GeForce2 Ti. I haven't ran into any gaming related issues and the Quadro cards are often better built with nicer coolers and single or dual DVI.

My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 61, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are afraid of the power consumption of a voodoo3, don`t take a geforce 4ti card. It uses far more power (40w).

I have 2 gf4 ti 4200 128mb laying around and wanted to test these in my k6-3+ system but i think these will bring a lot of stress on the agp slot (and i use Ali V chipset).
100w psu`s were common that time so pulling 40w from the agp slot is a lot i guess....

I don`t go higher than geforce2Ti (or geforce 4mx?) in this system. Geforce 4 will have a MAJOR bottleneck as the geforce2 already has one with k6-3+ @ 600mhz.

And, besides, not all geforce 4 cards support agp 2x i`ve read.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 35 of 61, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's fascinating how the Voodoo3 AGP, one of the most popular 1999-2000 cards, is becoming stigmatized here. If a motherboard blows up running a Voodoo3, I say that motherboard wasn't worth owning anyway. These cards can't be pulling more than around 15W.

Reply 36 of 61, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I think it's fascinating how the Voodoo3 AGP, one of the most popular 1999-2000 cards, is becoming stigmatized here. If a motherboard blows up running a Voodoo3, I say that motherboard wasn't worth owning anyway. These cards can't be pulling more than around 15W.

Why its still stable and a good board without the agp slot.
After all it supports K62+ and is Atx and with ISA slots.

Reply 37 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Stigmatized? No one is doing that. He reported back that the board was a bit unstable with all sort of gfx cards.
And because it blew, when he used the V3 card, and people are reporting that V3 does need a bit more power.
Then I am not using V3 AGP in my FIC PA 2013. No one is saying bad about V3 in general.

What I have against V3 to V5 cards in general, is that they give too little bang for the bucks. Not saying they are a bad cards.
It's the price I am talking about, NOT the hardware. 😉

Reply 38 of 61, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

What I have against V3 to V5 cards in general, is that they give too little bang for the bucks. Not saying they are a bad cards.
It's the price I am talking about, NOT the hardware. 😉

I have seen some Voodoo3 cards at thrift stores lately. Fly over and we can get you one for $3. 😎

Reply 39 of 61, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly, its SS7 can't expect everything to work on it.
The caps weren't bad on either. No bulges or leaks, I really think its a defect with its design.
Both were NIB.

Also noone mentions the banshee.
You can find those alot cheaper then V3's usually, and are more then sufficient for a K6 or early P2.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-08-17, 18:59. Edited 1 time in total.